Manuel - Naming Policy

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Manuel - Naming Policy

Post by RaveRadbury » #536129

Are we going to let current naming policies stand for Manuel or does MRP need a higher level of naming policy?

I'd like to bring up some kinds of names that I've encountered and I'd appreciate if people could give their opinions on the matter.

(Rude) Puns
I think pun names can be alright, but names like "Seymour Butts", "Aheet Mahpoo", "Bal Di", and others are pretty immersion breaking and ultimately dissuade other players from engaging them sincerely. If it came down to having no pun names or these dorky rude puns I'd vote for tossing out pun names completely.

References
These can range from things like "Jack Napier" to "Barack Obama" It seems like there is a certain level of popularity of the reference in combination with it's memeability. For example, a player named "Marsellus Wallace" is going to provoke players to ask if "he looks like a bitch" because the name goes hand-in-hand with the quote. This is a tough nut to crack from an administrative perspective because one can in fact make a reference that others don't know and it ultimately comes down to whether or not you get recognized and caught. Then the player has a history of having successfully played that character for several rounds and being recognized for that name. Whether or not this is immersion breaking has a lot to do with how easily understood the reference is, but that is difficult to quantify.

Worth noting here for silicon policy is references to real and possibly outdated technology. Are alright with naming your borg after an old graphics card? Is "Nintendo" (or the same thing except with periods in-between) allowed? Heck, is HAL - 9000 or AM allowed even?

Rude Language
Are we okay with an AI named "R.E.T.A.R.D."? I personally find names like this to be cheap and abhorrent, but does the community? This is likely more often to occur with silicon names, but since it isn't even really a pun I feel like it deserves it's own category

Prefixes + Suffixes
Are we alright with prefixes like "Dr." or "Old/Ol'/Ole" and suffixes like "Esq." and "III"? What if they violate the first-name last-name policy, as in "Prefix" "Lastname"?

Nicknames
I don't think that our current naming policy supports it, but I am actually in favor of name like "Mike 'Sparky' Smith" and " 'Doctor' Nick Riviera". Not really sure what the arguments against them have been, but I think that if sane uses of this were allowed it would be pretty okay. Maybe we should just get code support for nicknames in the character creator, idk

Argonian
I get the feeling that a lot of people won't agree with me on this but I firmly believe that the Argonian naming scheme is tired and shouldn't be on MRP. In most cases it defines a character in a really two-dimensional way.

Of course most of these issues don't apply to performer names, however in my opinion we shouldn't really be allowing any blatantly rude names be allowed.

Atmosphere becomes more important as RP increases, so the sooner we can come together as a community and say where we draw the line the better. The names of the people around you can do a lot to define the atmosphere of the round.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Re: Manuel - Naming Policy

Post by Sheodir » #536132

RaveRadbury wrote: (Rude) Puns
I think pun names can be alright, but names like "Seymour Butts", "Aheet Mahpoo", "Bal Di", and others are pretty immersion breaking and ultimately dissuade other players from engaging them sincerely. If it came down to having no pun names or these dorky rude puns I'd vote for tossing out pun names completely.
Big agree, the names should be functional at least. Clever puns are one thing, just poopy funnee though is straight out, however measuring might be hard, so maybe let's just take out pun names.
RaveRadbury wrote:References
These can range from things like "Jack Napier" to "Barack Obama" It seems like there is a certain level of popularity of the reference in combination with it's memeability. For example, a player named "Marsellus Wallace" is going to provoke players to ask if "he looks like a bitch" because the name goes hand-in-hand with the quote. This is a tough nut to crack from an administrative perspective because one can in fact make a reference that others don't know and it ultimately comes down to whether or not you get recognized and caught. Then the player has a history of having successfully played that character for several rounds and being recognized for that name. Whether or not this is immersion breaking has a lot to do with how easily understood the reference is, but that is difficult to quantify.
Straight no, for the reasons said here. If it's a reference people will immediately get like so it's out - however just using parts of names or character names is fine. Aka "Jamie Lannister" is not ok, "Jack Stark" is fine.
RaveRadbury wrote:Rude Language
Are we okay with an AI named "R.E.T.A.R.D."? I personally find names like this to be cheap and abhorrent, but does the community? This is likely more often to occur with silicon names, but since it isn't even really a pun I feel like it deserves it's own category
I don't find it abhorrent but unless you're a clown it can be a bit distracting. Specially for Sillicons. I don't care about these for clowns and mimes.
RaveRadbury wrote:Prefixes + Suffixes
Are we alright with prefixes like "Dr." or "Old/Ol'/Ole" and suffixes like "Esq." and "III"? What if they violate the first-name last-name policy, as in "Prefix" "Lastname"?
I think these are fine, honestly.
RaveRadbury wrote:Nicknames
I don't think that our current naming policy supports it, but I am actually in favor of name like "Mike 'Sparky' Smith" and " 'Doctor' Nick Riviera". Not really sure what the arguments against them have been, but I think that if sane uses of this were allowed it would be pretty okay. Maybe we should just get code support for nicknames in the character creator, idk
These are fine, if not great.
RaveRadbury wrote:Argonian
I get the feeling that a lot of people won't agree with me on this but I firmly believe that the Argonian naming scheme is tired and shouldn't be on MRP. In most cases it defines a character in a really two-dimensional way.
Hard disagree here. The Argonian naming scheme has a charm to it, however it should also be regulated to be more like proper names (even if they're characteristics) than 'Robusts-the-Sec'. Something like "One-who-Sparks' or such would be fine.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #536136

I know I am associated with the epic funny bald person jokes however I think a name like Bal Di is fine. I have never once read that name and thought "this is dumb".
RaveRadbury wrote:References
Depends on popularity. If it's mainstream then no. If it's something that not everyone will get then don't change it unless really necessary.
RaveRadbury wrote:Rude Language
I think these names are fine. I have fond memories of the silicon construction guide on the wiki.
Spoiler:
god bless PenisShitter 5000.
RaveRadbury wrote:Prefixes + Suffixes
We already don't allow these apparently.
RaveRadbury wrote:Nicknames
I think this was covered by headmins once but I don't think anyone ever sees that and goes "BRO THAT'S BREKAING THE RULES FUCK I NEED BACKUP DON'T ASK QUESTIONS HEADMINS JUST SEND BACKUP NOW". Plus, Randolph P. Checkers is Randolph P. Checkers. He may not play /tg/ much anymore however I think it would be dumb if we said no which would mean we would have to punish Randolph P. Checkers. Don't forget the other people who use names like this such as Ostrava of Nanotrasen. You would kill more RP than anything if this was outlawed.
RaveRadbury wrote:Argonian
Keep it. Most lizards have used this for a long ass time. Also, the alternative are those weird fucking ashwalker names or John Smith the lizard. You know how dumb John Smith the lizard sounds?
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #536143

Without going one by one:

Puns should not be allowed on RP servers. I don't mind Bal Dee being a bald bearded guy, but it doesn't really fit the RP theme.

Titles and nicknames are not allowed in ANY server and I always had a hard disagree stance with that. Especially on the RP server. Titles (dr. sir. Esq. etc) should all have to be abbreviated, but other than that, they are fine and should be fine. Nicknames should always be in the middle, with a single mark quotation and have someeeeee reasonableness to it. "Arathian 'spiderman' Kebabopoulos" f.ex.(to use the actual nickname I have managed to make for myself :D ). But they shouldn't be a way to circumvent naming rules. So no "Arathian 'nigger beater 3000' Kebabopoulos" for example.

Finally, I know some people don't like the lizard naming scheme, but I am extremely opposed to limiting it in any form. I always enjoy those names.
Iron, blood and spider armies
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #536179

Roleplay should enhance not kill the fun. I think references are fine. Prefixes and suffixes should be added in the code. There are procs that get first name or last name so if you start your name with Dr. or Doctor it thinks that's your name, or end it with III it thinks that's your surname. Nicknames should be handled codewise too because Original "Snowflake" Character looks insufferable (they did this on Bay last time I was there like 5 years ago). The nickname should just show as their first name except on medical and security records, where it shows as nickname or known alias.

As for characters with piss-take names no parent would choose, I think we can leave that up to the admins' discerning judgement
Last edited by cacogen on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #536183

Disclaimer: The following is my opinion, not an official policy comment
RaveRadbury wrote:(Rude) Puns
Depends on subtlety.whether it is plausibly a name that a real person may actually have. Mike Hunt is probably fine. Aheet Mahpoo is probably not. Seymour Butts is borderline but not not a name someone can have.
References

Worth noting here for silicon policy is references to real and possibly outdated technology. Are alright with naming your borg after an old graphics card? Is "Nintendo" (or the same thing except with periods in-between) allowed? Heck, is HAL - 9000 or AM allowed even?
References are lazy, generally not good RP, and are to be avoided. Silicons are an exception as they are pieces of technology with brand names, but it is probably best just to leave them as a name only, not an accompanying "holy shit I'm actually GLaDOs" gimmick.
Rude Language
I would prefer if they didn't.
Prefixes + Suffixes
I don't have a problem with this.
Nicknames
Just name yourself the nickname, but code support is a good idea
Argonian
Says-Wrong-Things
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #536189

(Rude) Puns
Not a fan of these on Manuel, I feel like they're rarely, if ever, actually funny.
References

I can't really vote no on this because my static is a reference (albeit a somewhat esoteric one), but I think the easy answer is a hard no on any of these. If an admin can recognize it, then it's out. The silicon one is a bit different, since they're obviously named by humans and humans are fucking dorks. I could see someone naming an AI after an old form of tech.
Rude Language
Yeah, no. Very much against these. We're better than that.
Prefixes + Suffixes
One of those weird instances for me. I think no, but it'd depend on the specific situation.
Nicknames
These are fine by me.
Argonian
I don't really care too much. I think it needs to be something that makes sense and doesn't reference memes/internet culture. It should be logical outside of the scope of the playerbase zeitgeist.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #536205

I've always found names like Dr. Jack "Sawbones" McGee a bit annoying even for an RP server and just an inch away from custom character descriptions in the examine text. Prefixes and suffixes are already banned and for a good reason, what happens if your Dr. Esq. MD doesn't roll the job at roundstart or is demoted? Having to deal with those people as HoP must be painful.

And about nicknames, isn't it better to have them come up organically instead of forcing them on others? Nicknames should be something your friends/co-workers make up for stuff you do in game, and the fact they call you that should be proof of their closer relationship with you. "My nickname is "Sunstrike" and you will call me that, stop calling me "Slimebag" because I'm fat and work in xenobio, reeee"
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #536229

How about admins actually enforce the naming policy rules we have there instead of ignoring them like they do on the other servers
[this space reserved]
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #536231

I'm against enforcing naming policy until argonian names are outlawed

t. Fucks-your-mom
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #536236

wesoda25 wrote:How about admins actually enforce the naming policy rules we have there instead of ignoring them like they do on the other servers
I am, at the very least.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #536240

I want to say these are MY opinions only. I'm not in charge and these views don't reflect the whole of the admin team.
I think subtle ones are fine and honestly part of the quirky nature. Also honestly knew someone IRL who was called Richard Head. So there we go.
I think stuff like "Grey Tide" is just low effort.
TLDR: yes its fine
RaveRadbury wrote: References
These can range from things like "Jack Napier" to "Barack Obama" It seems like there is a certain level of popularity of the reference in combination with it's memeability. For example, a player named "Marsellus Wallace" is going to provoke players to ask if "he looks like a bitch" because the name goes hand-in-hand with the quote. This is a tough nut to crack from an administrative perspective because one can in fact make a reference that others don't know and it ultimately comes down to whether or not you get recognized and caught. Then the player has a history of having successfully played that character for several rounds and being recognized for that name. Whether or not this is immersion breaking has a lot to do with how easily understood the reference is, but that is difficult to quantify..

Honestly this is fine on most except Manuel. I believe its a little too immersion breaking to have Barrack Obama running your station. The smart thing would be to make it a reference, I.e. Barrack Olama, so its obvious who you're trying to parody, but with out being direct. AI are fine though, windows ME, HAL, AM, etc are all great AI names.
TLDR: no. Accept for AI's which some how works
RaveRadbury wrote: Rude Language
Ergh I just find it so amazing low effort. Personally they don't add comedy and they break immersion, so for me its a no.
TLDR: Low effort, no
RaveRadbury wrote: Prefixes + Suffixes
These people seem to have issues with where I do not. If it suits the role though. Its odd to have a Dr in security. But a Dr or Prof in medical or science works fine. I think Old o' engineers or miners also works well with the aesthetic of the game.
TLDR: yes but suited to the role.
RaveRadbury wrote: Nicknames
I think nicknames are great personally, they add character to the role so long as they don't REPLACE the name. I.e. Wayne 'Duck' Newton is A OK and gives people something to call them quickly, or adds roleplay of "you don't get to call me that we ain't friends" kinda shindig.
TLDR: yes with a real name
RaveRadbury wrote: Argonian
100% disagree, racial type names are honestly a nice thing, it adds a layer to the idea that they might have separate ideals or racial needs. I've (mostly) seen people do it really well and it adds to it even more when its broken (lizards with human names because of X backstory). The plasmapeople have it, the ethreals have them, and honestly this has been in the game almost as long as lizard people have been a playable (non admin only) character.
TLDR: Yes!
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #536265

Where is the actual difference between obama and olama, PAS? It makes 0 difference.
Spoiler:
aheet mahpoo almost made me laugh like nothing else does send help
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #536313

I used to be a real stickler over name policy so I guess I'll contribute my take - I agree that manuel probably needs the policy re-examined

going to piss everyone off by doing the bold text inside the quote for my replies because I am lazy
RaveRadbury wrote:(Rude) Puns

Not a big fan of pun names myself - obviously terrible ones should be a no. I'd say legitimately clever ones should be okay but then you get into the tried and tested "different admins think different things are funny" fight

References

Reference names are extremely lazy tbh, I don't HATE them most of the time but I remember when there used to be like 3 snake plissken mains or something and it was definitely annoying - they also lead to what you mentioned, where a player thinks that since they weren't bwoinked for a name over a few rounds that they're fine (because players tend to overestimate how much admins see)

This one is weird, because on the one hand, silicon names being references is a classic, but on the other, everything above

I think a good compromise could be "you can have reference names if you change it slightly so it's not literally word for word a reference"

Rude Language

extremely lazy and makes the person playing it look bad, would not be sad to see a rule against it

Prefixes + Suffixes

this was a massive fucking shitstorm a few years(?) back and I think opening it back up is a hellish idea - I'm biased because I personally dislike prefixes/etc. and think they look really dumb, I'm not sure why you can't just grumble IC about how you're a doctor or whatever instead of putting it in your name

Nicknames

'doctor' nick riviera made me laugh but I'm also not a fan of these - picking your own nickname feels even weirder in the context of a MRP server to me? I was always in the minority on this, I feel, but I dislike them a lot

Argonian

I find it tired but don't particularly care if it's gone or not - but the leniency on blatantly OOC names just because they're lizards is and always was very fucking dumb and the next time I see a lizard with any reference to griffing or bwoinking in their name i am going to jump out of a window

Atmosphere becomes more important as RP increases, so the sooner we can come together as a community and say where we draw the line the better. The names of the people around you can do a lot to define the atmosphere of the round.

extremely accurate and I'm glad people seem to be aware of how little touches like character names can and do influence rounds
confused rock wrote:Where is the actual difference between obama and olama, PAS? It makes 0 difference.
Spoiler:
aheet mahpoo almost made me laugh like nothing else does send help
the second character, it's an l instead of a b. one is obama and one is olama
Limey wrote:its too late.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #536326

Nicknames: It’s worth noting that the name you select during character generation is your character’s legal name that appears on their company issued ID. It’s fine if your character goes by a nickname, but it doesn’t belong in your character name field.

Coding in a nickname field in the character creator might help solve this issue, but nicknames really should come around organically. Anything else is like that Seinfeld episode where George Costanza keeps demanding everybody call him T-bone.

Illustration:
Spoiler:
[youtube]P3ZYSqDaCIw[/youtube]
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #536368

Grazyn wrote:And about nicknames, isn't it better to have them come up organically instead of forcing them on others? Nicknames should be something your friends/co-workers make up for stuff you do in game, and the fact they call you that should be proof of their closer relationship with you. "My nickname is "Sunstrike" and you will call me that, stop calling me "Slimebag" because I'm fat and work in xenobio, reeee"
yeah actually this is why it's so insufferable because it's assigning yourself a nickname
Grazyn wrote:I've always found names like Dr. Jack "Sawbones" McGee a bit annoying even for an RP server and just an inch away from custom character descriptions in the examine text.
yeah it's snowflakey OC shit like this that earns roleplay its gay reputation
Grazyn wrote:what happens if your Dr. Esq. MD doesn't roll the job at roundstart or is demoted?
to be a pedant the honorific wouldn't go away if you lost your job, you still have the degree
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #536381

Titles- your character name should be your "real name" at it's base. You don't see Mr. Aki Ito or Ms. Lola Cobblestone so it feels quite forced when you have people playing with Dr. Pahv L. Ceeayeae and the like. I think it would be cool if the code appended titles.

Pun- Subtle? Yes, No otherwise.

Reference- I could honestly care less so long as the name is believable. If you want to play Bruce Wayne or Barack Obama or whomever go ahead, just realize you might get abnormal interactions (including ones unfavorable to your play) by doing this so I'd recommend just making your own.

Rude Language - If Rude = Vulgar, No. Otherwise things like Bal Di fall into the puns category.

Nicknames - See Titles

Argonian - X-A-Y scheme? I could care less so long as it doesn't negatively touch on the above items along with common qualifiers of what constitute a good name. Not really sure why lizards want to have names that sound like the human language as opposed to their unique one, kinda a missed opportunity there imo.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #536405

cacogen wrote:
Grazyn wrote:what happens if your Dr. Esq. MD doesn't roll the job at roundstart or is demoted?
to be a pedant the honorific wouldn't go away if you lost your job, you still have the degree
You're right, it's still jarring because the name isn't just what is written on the ID, people identify you with that name even when you're not wearing it. People don't say "Hey look it's Gal Stone MD!"
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #536426

I wouldn't say NT are LEGAL names, they're a work badge. And by that merit yes I have seen people who only go by a nick name have that on their badge in numerous work things IRL.

As for honorifics, most badges do also show these, as the word suggests, out of respect. As for not having the right role for the honor, why don't you play a more than one static, have a static for Sec jobs, have one for sci/med and one for civi jobs. Stop making your characters Mary Sue's and SELF limit your character, they'll feel more real and less bland. Limiting your character or making them bad at one thing is like 101 of roleplay.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #536451

peoplearestrange wrote:I wouldn't say NT are LEGAL names, they're a work badge. And by that merit yes I have seen people who only go by a nick name have that on their badge in numerous work things IRL.
Not sure where you’ve worked in the past, but I’ve never seen anyone get away with John ‘Hot Stuff’ Doe on their company ID card.
► Show Spoiler
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #536474

peoplearestrange wrote:I wouldn't say NT are LEGAL names, they're a work badge. And by that merit yes I have seen people who only go by a nick name have that on their badge in numerous work things IRL.
not sure exactly what you're referring to but if you want to pull the irl card, the nicknames you usually see on badges like that tend to be shortened versions of names/a middle name/whatever else and not John "Gamer" Doe or something equally ridiculous

edit: the post right above me just said the same thing i am a fool
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #536515

Yeah I guess thats fair. They tend to be shortenings or just plain replacing the name.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #536520

Nicknames and honorifics tend to largely be abused by people who just want to seek attention, we can do without John "Deathkiller" Doe the assistant

Act your character, you don't need a nametag that spells out for everyone that "yes, I do indeed kill death"
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #536727

get rid of argonian it fucking sucks

we can just force all lizard players to have 3 s' in a row in their name. it'd be the same caliber of what we have now lol
[this space reserved]
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #536810

Mickyan wrote:Nicknames and honorifics tend to largely be abused by people who just want to seek attention, we can do without John "Deathkiller" Doe the assistant

Act your character, you don't need a nametag that spells out for everyone that "yes, I do indeed kill death"
yeah they should use a more high quality name like Kills-the-Death
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #536876

Lazengann wrote:
Mickyan wrote:Nicknames and honorifics tend to largely be abused by people who just want to seek attention, we can do without John "Deathkiller" Doe the assistant

yeah they should use a more high quality name like Kills-the-Death
absolutely based post

I was complaining to a friend the other day about how lizards seem to get a pass on the IC naming rules
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #536877

Lizard names are functionally nicknames because lorewise they are assigned by the family/village/community/whatever based on stuff the lizard is known for. Yeah players abuse this to make silly names, but Kills-the-death is actually a good RP name.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #536878

Grazyn wrote:Lizard names are functionally nicknames because lorewise they are assigned by the family/village/community/whatever based on stuff the lizard is known for. Yeah players abuse this to make silly names, but Kills-the-death is actually a good RP name.
that's still a bit of a stretch but honestly lizard names are usually worse

admins should straight up just change someone's name if it has a reference to griffing or bwoinks tb fuckin h
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #536880

ok but can I keep using the name Max Capp
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #536901

Kills-the-Death is unironically a good name for a lizard doctor.

When it comes to honorifics, Dr. is at least flexible. You can either have an MD or a PhD depending on the job. And if your a bartender you have a hilarious story about how your degree is fucking useless.

Sometimes silly shit can be good RP prompts, so getting to strict on naming should be avoided.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #536917

Qbmax32 wrote:ok but can I keep using the name Max Capp
ofc, just rule 0 allow it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Subtle
Byond Username: SubtleGraces

Post by Subtle » #536920

After a gentle bwoink for the last name "Blumpkin" I've gotta wonder just how serious any proposed criteria really need to be.
Sure, nonsensical or 4th-wall names as well as titles are OOC/snowflakey, but that's a simple culture thing rather than any looming threat to the average round's immersion. Just nudge people away from the awful ones and it'll pass.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #541997

Subtle wrote:After a gentle bwoink for the last name "Blumpkin" I've gotta wonder just how serious any proposed criteria really need to be.
Sure, nonsensical or 4th-wall names as well as titles are OOC/snowflakey, but that's a simple culture thing rather than any looming threat to the average round's immersion. Just nudge people away from the awful ones and it'll pass.
Admins really be bwoinking for “blumpkin” but let “Kanye West” slide by for like a month, probably more
[this space reserved]
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542000

I don't understand why they can't just force random name really. Also I really wish someone would code a verb-the-noun lizard name generator instead of the shitty random names they have now like Neixxias or Rhazera or whatever.
Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #542002

yes clearly those names are the shitty ones
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #542018

If you're gonna name yourself RETARD as ai you should be allowed to do so.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #542062

send the people who cant come up with a normal name back to lrp

if your name is a food or is something like "kat green" or "kat orange" (what the fuck is with "cat color" names and catgirls) then you deserve to be taken out back and shot
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #542074

NoxVS wrote:send the people who cant come up with a normal name back to lrp

if your name is a food or is something like "kat green" or "kat orange" (what the fuck is with "cat color" names and catgirls) then you deserve to be taken out back and shot
Food names should be allowed but only for chef mains, Tony Ravioli and Stevie Tortellini are kings
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #542075

NoxVS wrote:send the people who cant come up with a normal name back to lrp

As much as I hate to admit it - Kat Green is actually a real name (Kat being short for Katherine and Green is an uncommon surname), it skirts on being overbearing if admins are given leave to tell you "I don't like this name >:("

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kat_Green
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #542077

yeah i proved once that technically cee monkey is an acceptable name, doesn't mean it should be allowed
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542078

Grazyn wrote:I don't understand why they can't just force random name really. Also I really wish someone would code a verb-the-noun lizard name generator instead of the shitty random names they have now like Neixxias or Rhazera or whatever.
for real dude? those "shitty" names you listed are miles better than Sucks-The-Cock or whatever dumb shit lizards like to go by
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542088

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I don't understand why they can't just force random name really. Also I really wish someone would code a verb-the-noun lizard name generator instead of the shitty random names they have now like Neixxias or Rhazera or whatever.
for real dude? those "shitty" names you listed are miles better than Sucks-The-Cock or whatever dumb shit lizards like to go by
They're boring milquetoast fantasy names, the verb-the-noun format allows for fun combinations especially with a randomised dictionary-based system, which would also tackle the issue of bad immersion-breaking names.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #542096

Grazyn wrote:I don't understand why they can't just force random name really.
"Role playing game" "you're not allowed to choose your own name despite being able to customize everything else"

What the fuck? Do you honestly think that would go down well?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #542098

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Grazyn wrote:I don't understand why they can't just force random name really.
"Role playing game" "you're not allowed to choose your own name despite being able to customize everything else"

What the fuck? Do you honestly think that would go down well?
Honestly I've played on servers that enforced them and it was overall a pretty positive experience. Only clowns, mimes and silicons were exempt.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #542102

A fault in logic both ways with forcing random name:

1.Nobody picks their name- there's no character who isn't a fucking meme or snowflake where their name is a very important part of them. Last I checked Harry Potter isn't known for hair or pots. The everything else, that's what's important.

2.If you don't random appearance and even personality(impossible) it's still easy to tell who's who.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542114

Grazyn wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
They're boring milquetoast fantasy names, the verb-the-noun format allows for fun combinations especially with a randomised dictionary-based system, which would also tackle the issue of bad immersion-breaking names.
Grazyn is a boring milquetoast fantasy name
Poops-And-Farts is a terrible name and names of this structure are bad for immersion
Spoiler:
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #542118

Also as much as I dread even commenting on the 9 billionth naming policy thread, I will comment to point out "it's a real name that real people could/actually do have" is not a good metric for whether something is acceptable in a roleplay enviroment - there are a lot of stupidly named people both by parents and self selected. Better arguments to put forward are whether it fits in the thematics of SS13, whether it's a blatant, immersion breaking reference or not, etc. etc.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542119

PKPenguin321 wrote: Grazyn is a boring milquetoast fantasy name
Poops-And-Farts is a terrible name and names of this structure are bad for immersion
Native American names break immersion? Argonian names in a TES game break immersion? It's just a matter of sanitizing them with a random generator of verbs an nouns.
confused rock wrote: 2.If you don't random appearance and even personality(impossible) it's still easy to tell who's who.
Doesn't matter, the issue here are bad names, not metabuddying
Last edited by Grazyn on Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #542120

delete the naming policy
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542155

Grazyn wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: Grazyn is a boring milquetoast fantasy name
Native American names break immersion? Argonian names in a TES game break immersion? It's just a matter of sanitizing them with a random generator of verbs an nouns.
yes, Laps-Up-Cum and Spreads-The-Cheeks do indeed break immersion
Spoiler: