Manuel - Naming Policy

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Manuel - Naming Policy

Post by RaveRadbury » #536129

Bottom post of the previous page:

Are we going to let current naming policies stand for Manuel or does MRP need a higher level of naming policy?

I'd like to bring up some kinds of names that I've encountered and I'd appreciate if people could give their opinions on the matter.

(Rude) Puns
I think pun names can be alright, but names like "Seymour Butts", "Aheet Mahpoo", "Bal Di", and others are pretty immersion breaking and ultimately dissuade other players from engaging them sincerely. If it came down to having no pun names or these dorky rude puns I'd vote for tossing out pun names completely.

References
These can range from things like "Jack Napier" to "Barack Obama" It seems like there is a certain level of popularity of the reference in combination with it's memeability. For example, a player named "Marsellus Wallace" is going to provoke players to ask if "he looks like a bitch" because the name goes hand-in-hand with the quote. This is a tough nut to crack from an administrative perspective because one can in fact make a reference that others don't know and it ultimately comes down to whether or not you get recognized and caught. Then the player has a history of having successfully played that character for several rounds and being recognized for that name. Whether or not this is immersion breaking has a lot to do with how easily understood the reference is, but that is difficult to quantify.

Worth noting here for silicon policy is references to real and possibly outdated technology. Are alright with naming your borg after an old graphics card? Is "Nintendo" (or the same thing except with periods in-between) allowed? Heck, is HAL - 9000 or AM allowed even?

Rude Language
Are we okay with an AI named "R.E.T.A.R.D."? I personally find names like this to be cheap and abhorrent, but does the community? This is likely more often to occur with silicon names, but since it isn't even really a pun I feel like it deserves it's own category

Prefixes + Suffixes
Are we alright with prefixes like "Dr." or "Old/Ol'/Ole" and suffixes like "Esq." and "III"? What if they violate the first-name last-name policy, as in "Prefix" "Lastname"?

Nicknames
I don't think that our current naming policy supports it, but I am actually in favor of name like "Mike 'Sparky' Smith" and " 'Doctor' Nick Riviera". Not really sure what the arguments against them have been, but I think that if sane uses of this were allowed it would be pretty okay. Maybe we should just get code support for nicknames in the character creator, idk

Argonian
I get the feeling that a lot of people won't agree with me on this but I firmly believe that the Argonian naming scheme is tired and shouldn't be on MRP. In most cases it defines a character in a really two-dimensional way.

Of course most of these issues don't apply to performer names, however in my opinion we shouldn't really be allowing any blatantly rude names be allowed.

Atmosphere becomes more important as RP increases, so the sooner we can come together as a community and say where we draw the line the better. The names of the people around you can do a lot to define the atmosphere of the round.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Manuel - Naming Policy

Post by oranges » #542120

delete the naming policy
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542155

Grazyn wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote: Grazyn is a boring milquetoast fantasy name
Poops-And-Farts is a terrible name and names of this structure are bad for immersion
Native American names break immersion? Argonian names in a TES game break immersion? It's just a matter of sanitizing them with a random generator of verbs an nouns.
yes, Laps-Up-Cum and Spreads-The-Cheeks do indeed break immersion
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542198

Dude did you even read my posts or are you just trolling?

Currently if you click random name as lizard you get a name like Outmeel-Grul. I'm saying that if manuel indeed goes for the forced random name thing to tackle bad names in general, it would be neat if the generator used a noun-the-verb format for lizards instead of those names which are more often associated with ashwalkers. Do you think that a random generator would randomly generate names like Drinks-the-Pee or shit like that?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542202

Verbs-the-Noun names got stale a while ago and seeing them immediately makes me groan at the stale joke that is le epic Lusty Argonian Maid name format. It's really just a personal pet peeve I guess. I don't think letting the name generator assemble randomised variations of the format would make very immersive names.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542213

PKPenguin321 wrote:Verbs-the-Noun names got stale a while ago and seeing them immediately makes me groan at the stale joke that is le epic Lusty Argonian Maid name format. It's really just a personal pet peeve I guess. I don't think letting the name generator assemble randomised variations of the format would make very immersive names.
So I went ahead and made a quick-and-dirty lizard name generator, yeah some names are a bit weird but others are miles better than what we see now

Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #542243

Slaps-the-goodwill will remain forever in My heart.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #542268

capitalize it you animal
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542273

Lazengann wrote:capitalize it you animal
I did say it was quick and dirty. Here's another run

I'd PR it but I don't know how to make ashwalkers keep the old lizard names (like Nazeera-Kut etc.) because I can't code anything more complex than this. If anyone wants to give it a try here are the 2 lists I'm using. You'll notice how I tried to avoid sci-fi or ss13-specific nouns to prevent names like Kills-The-Clown from popping up, which would take us back to square one. Chef, lawyer and others are still in. The noun list comes from http://www.desiquintans.com/nounlist and is free to distribute. The verbs come from https://englishpost.org/transitive-verbs-list/ I removed most verbs that required very specific nouns to work properly.
Attachments
lizard_verbs.txt
(677 Bytes) Downloaded 102 times
lizard_nouns.txt
(60.19 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Post by Lazengann » #542303

That looks pretty cool, good work
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #542356

Grazyn wrote:snip
I am putting eternal dibs on Strikes-The-Youth.
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #542387

oranges wrote:delete the naming policy
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #542395

Grazyn wrote:
Lazengann wrote:capitalize it you animal
I did say it was quick and dirty. Here's another run

I'd PR it but I don't know how to make ashwalkers keep the old lizard names (like Nazeera-Kut etc.) because I can't code anything more complex than this. If anyone wants to give it a try here are the 2 lists I'm using. You'll notice how I tried to avoid sci-fi or ss13-specific nouns to prevent names like Kills-The-Clown from popping up, which would take us back to square one. Chef, lawyer and others are still in. The noun list comes from http://www.desiquintans.com/nounlist and is free to distribute. The verbs come from https://englishpost.org/transitive-verbs-list/ I removed most verbs that required very specific nouns to work properly.
push it to remote i'll do it
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #542399

Armhulen wrote:push it to remote i'll do it
If you're gonna could you at least put it in as a secondary random-name button, rather than overwriting what's already in?
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #542427

Here you go, I put up a PR for it.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #542428

edit: thanks Yenwodyah
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #542440

Unpopular opinion but I think verbs the noun is better because it allows more customization of the names. The other way is boring
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #542453

BeeSting12 wrote:Unpopular opinion but I think verbs the noun is better because it allows more customization of the names. The other way is boring
popular opinion

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #542455

BeeSting12 wrote:Unpopular opinion but I think verbs the noun is better because it allows more customization of the names. The other way is boring
Verbs the noun is fine, the problem are shitters who cant choose a normal name and admins who dont dunk them for being morons. Especially on Manuel
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server