Make nuke ops admin-only.

L_Nacho_Chaos_L
Byond Username: L_Nacho_Chaos_L

Make nuke ops admin-only.

Post by L_Nacho_Chaos_L » #538729

Nuke ops are not fun to play as or against. They end rounds too fast so it's impossible to do any fun projects on a nuke round.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Make nuke ops admin-only.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #538745

L_Nacho_Chaos_L wrote:Nuke ops are not fun to play as or against. They end rounds too fast so it's impossible to do any fun projects on a nuke round.
Moving to policy discussion as this would be a config-side disable
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #538758

No.
Iron, blood and spider armies
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #538769

This but only war ops
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #538771

Yenwodyah wrote:This but only war ops
No to both you and the OP
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #538792

Arathian wrote:No.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #538799

War ops should be removed and blitz/stealth ops balanced. Right now as shit as it is war ops is the best balanced version of the gamemode
[this space reserved]
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #538885

Tarchonvaagh wrote:
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538894

Boris wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:War ops should be removed and blitz/stealth ops balanced. Right now as shit as it is war ops is the best balanced version of the gamemode
This statement is true but it shows more that War Ops should evolve as a gamemode and blitz/stealth ops should be hard reworked if not removed entirely. Stealth Ops can be fun, really, but needs more of a dedicated focus and could be another gamemode as Stealth options are rather lacking. Blitz Ops is garbage.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #538901

we COULD bring back infiltrators
[this space reserved]
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #538907

Boris wrote:
Tarchonvaagh wrote:
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #538923

wesoda25 wrote:we COULD bring back infiltrators
How would you do that? It's been 10 thousand years
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #538980

War ops is the only way that nuke ops is bearable. People are given a warning not to start any projects and a chance to fight back, rather than being blind-sighted half-way through a gimmick by an antag they have near-zero chance of winning against. Even if command and security as a whole manage to defend successfully against the nukies, the experience for basic crew members against non-war is pretty terrible.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #538987

zxaber wrote:War ops is the only way that nuke ops is bearable. People are given a warning not to start any projects and a chance to fight back, rather than being blind-sighted half-way through a gimmick by an antag they have near-zero chance of winning against. Even if command and security as a whole manage to defend successfully against the nukies, the experience for basic crew members against non-war is pretty terrible.
Pretty much this - blitz just wastes 80% of everyone's time without involving them. Stealth could be okay but I feel it should be it's own game mode with a different load out to regular nukies. War let's everyone know beforehand that the round is just tdm and not to waste your time being productive.

Hell stealth could probably be really good if it was fleshed out - more espionage objectives maybe make it an advanced form of blood brothers with TC.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #539039

zxaber wrote:War ops is the only way that nuke ops is bearable. People are given a warning not to start any projects and a chance to fight back, rather than being blind-sighted half-way through a gimmick by an antag they have near-zero chance of winning against. Even if command and security as a whole manage to defend successfully against the nukies, the experience for basic crew members against non-war is pretty terrible.
I think many find the crew experience terrible, on war ops. I suicide every single time.
If as you say the only way to make the game mode bearable is to essentially tell people "hey don't bother playing the actual game part of the game this round, just hoard guns and build windows", maybe the mode needs huge changes from the bottom up?
I would like nuke ops a lot more if they were just sent in to murderbone with powerful but mostly conventional weapons, small arms, a mech or two, modestly size explosives, etc. Stuff that's just a notch or two above normal traitors.
Or give them an objective on the station that takes real work and isn't a trivially easy round-ender, people tell me this is how Goon does it.
If the mode isn't bearable, or something that can feasibly be defended against without turning the game into space Fortnite, why is it in at all?
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #539047

I think it's sad that people see war ops as the default nuke ops experience now and that standard hit and run ops is seen as the lesser option. The panic and scrambling of security and command when someone reports operatives or a bomb goes off and decimates comms, not to mention the deadchat tradition of getting to follow along with the operatives as they get picked off one by one, are some of my favorite core experiences in ss13. Removing the looming threat of a commando raid that seeks to wipe out the station with no negotiation and no nonsense about diplomacy would be a big loss for the game, and one that I think is selfish on the part of the people who lobby for it. You can't always be the star of the show, and sometimes rounds end without warning and you don't get 3 hours to finish whatever project you had in mind. That's fine! You were a background character to the real conflict that round, and another group of people were the ones with the spotlight. SS13 shines best when people rotate being the focus of the round, and the inability to let other people enjoy a unique experience of panicking in the face of a paramilitary threat because your project (that you can do any other round) got cut short is sad and goes against the spirit of a roleplaying game with this many people
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #539051

Shaps-cloud wrote:I think it's sad that people see war ops as the default nuke ops experience now and that standard hit and run ops is seen as the lesser option. The panic and scrambling of security and command when someone reports operatives or a bomb goes off and decimates comms, not to mention the deadchat tradition of getting to follow along with the operatives as they get picked off one by one, are some of my favorite core experiences in ss13. Removing the looming threat of a commando raid that seeks to wipe out the station with no negotiation and no nonsense about diplomacy would be a big loss for the game, and one that I think is selfish on the part of the people who lobby for it. You can't always be the star of the show, and sometimes rounds end without warning and you don't get 3 hours to finish whatever project you had in mind. That's fine! You were a background character to the real conflict that round, and another group of people were the ones with the spotlight. SS13 shines best when people rotate being the focus of the round, and the inability to let other people enjoy a unique experience of panicking in the face of a paramilitary threat because your project (that you can do any other round) got cut short is sad and goes against the spirit of a roleplaying game with this many people
People want to play the videogame and engage with the round. A gamemode that doesn't engage most of the station isn't very good. And as someone who's queued for Ops a lot, Blitz is the most boring option to both play and play against. You're just slamming against the station with breakneck speed armed to the teeth with mods that make you basically immune to anything it throws at you. Unless the Ops team is blatantly incompetent or faffs around instead of blitzing, the blitz ops always win a few minutes into the shift and everyone gets to be upset.

War Ops is the most interesting facet of the gamemode. It engages everyone and provides a fun fight and experience that is outside the usual SS13 scope. It should be balanced around itself, rather than removed in the face of two much more boring alternatives (Stealth could be fun but is currently broken by a lack of equipment, if they move the disk at all you're basically screwed)
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #539053

War ops would be fine as it's own game mode. I don't know what Infiltrators were but I mean...that is what I would ideally like to see ops kinda become? More akin to a coordinated team of traitors doing stuff that might ultimately result in the destruction of the station rather than 100% a hit and run nuking.

That said, I also don't REALLY mind nukies as a whole. if it's really a hit and run, it's generally quick. It definitely isn't nice or very fair, but the game isn't really about that. As Shaps said, you weren't the hero and you weren't necessarily guaranteed to see victory. It just be like that.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #539058

Nuclear hot take: Remove warops.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #539062

Vekter wrote:Nuclear hot take: Remove warops.
This is such a brainlet take

Remove War Ops and Nuke Ops would literally become the most unbearable and boring gametype in the game

That's a no from me Mr Mouseman
Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #539197

Sheodir wrote: Remove War Ops and Nuke Ops would literally become the most unbearable and boring gametype in the game

War ops is already the most unbearable and boring gametype in the game.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #540280

yenwodyah really just having the most based opinions out here, home run after home run
[this space reserved]
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #540294

Sheodir wrote:

Remove War Ops and Nuke Ops would literally become the most unbearable and boring gametype in the game

Warops is literally "Open the armory, give everyone guns, round is now deathmatch". At least things are exciting when we're suddenly getting raided by the Syndicate.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
UrsoTheLobster
Byond Username: UrsoTheLobster

Post by UrsoTheLobster » #540299

sounds like cringe to me
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #540467

Vekter wrote:
Sheodir wrote:

Warops is literally "Open the armory, give everyone guns, round is now deathmatch". At least things are exciting when we're suddenly getting raided by the Syndicate.
Exciting is one way to put it. I just get demoralized when I'm half-way through a project and ops show up out of nowhere. Whether you win or not, the round is going to be ending soon, be it by nuke or nukie death or escape shuttle. From the point of view of someone who is trying to create their own fun, all possible outcomes with stealth ops are a loss. There's no point in continuing the project, hope you roll the same role next shift and you can try again.

When a traitor or changeling comes at you, there is a chance you can get back to what you were doing if you survive. Revs, cult, and to some extent wiz tend to make themselves known early on, and so you can focus on that. But stealth ops can wait up to (or exceeding) half an hour if they're not doing blitz, which is more than enough time to get settled into a project or gimmick or something. That's why it's terrible when they suddenly show up.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #540475

zxaber wrote:
Vekter wrote:
Sheodir wrote:

Exciting is one way to put it. I just get demoralized when I'm half-way through a project and ops show up out of nowhere. Whether you win or not, the round is going to be ending soon, be it by nuke or nukie death or escape shuttle. From the point of view of someone who is trying to create their own fun, all possible outcomes with stealth ops are a loss. There's no point in continuing the project, hope you roll the same role next shift and you can try again.

When a traitor or changeling comes at you, there is a chance you can get back to what you were doing if you survive. Revs, cult, and to some extent wiz tend to make themselves known early on, and so you can focus on that. But stealth ops can wait up to (or exceeding) half an hour if they're not doing blitz, which is more than enough time to get settled into a project or gimmick or something. That's why it's terrible when they suddenly show up.
That's one of the problems that dynamic would help with; instead of just suiciding because your project is gone no matter what, if you help with the op situation you have a better chance of returning to status quo and continuing that project until the next threat shows up.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #540478

War ops needs to be on the config cause right now it’s all nuke ops or no nuke ops and as many have said it provides a totally different experience that some servers might not be comfortable with
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #540531

Vekter wrote:
Sheodir wrote:

Manuel is new so I'll give you a pass on not knowing the fun RP opportunities provided by a War Ops where you can't just dunk on the Cap for the disk or demand an armory bolted open. Although it helps if it's Dynamic and other antags might still be around.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #540548

Make war ops dynamic-only
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #540573

War ops is nuke ops until someone cba to config it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #540582

Just kill the antag
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032