remove icon and icon_state limitations from var editing

Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

remove icon and icon_state limitations from var editing

Post by Fikou » #547560

i dont know where to put this but its a config change so i think here
when an admin gives someone buildmode and the person wants to do something more ambitious with custom sprites the admin needs to sit around the building and edit all the icon/icon_state themselves because the builder doesnt have +FUN and they cant edit the sprites for the things they are editing which is a pain for both sides
i dont think that the possibility of someone changing the icon to a peepee is anything to worry about, especially since usually the only ways a person doesnt have +FUN and is editing something's sprites is buildmode which is given by admins, can be taken away and the person that did it can be punished and no one would probably do it, and the other way is var editing something as an admin candidate but i dont know if admin candidates can even var edit stuff
also this buffs my friend rob robinson
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: remove icon and icon_state limitations from var editing

Post by bobbahbrown » #547561

worth looking into the restrictions byond has on file uploads as a person who is given tthis mode may be able to upload a file of malicious design if given that

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #547562

bobbahbrown wrote:worth looking into the restrictions byond has on file uploads as a person who is given tthis mode may be able to upload a file of malicious design if given that
As an admin, I once tried to change a mob into a gif.

It was more than 1024kb so it was denied. how the hell am i supposed to hack the server with that restriction???

btw i fully agree with this and i am 100% biased
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #548031

a better suggestion would be to give trainers ability to give people fun and all permissions because it's stupid that you have to hyperfocus on ban ban ban when an admin can (and SHOULD) do much more than that.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #548043

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
bobbahbrown wrote:worth looking into the restrictions byond has on file uploads as a person who is given tthis mode may be able to upload a file of malicious design if given that

It was more than 1024kb so it was denied. how the hell am i supposed to hack the server with that restriction???

it was just a suggestion jerry i didn't know if there was a limit i was suggestjgn someone shoudl echkexk

best,

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #548070

Cobby wrote:a better suggestion would be to give trainers ability to give people fun and all permissions because it's stupid that you have to hyperfocus on ban ban ban when an admin can (and SHOULD) do much more than that.
I am pretty sure that is already a thing. If it isn't then why the fuck are admin trainers unable to fully train admins without a game master?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #548093

you are speaking to a trainer :smirk:
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Fikou
In-Game Game Master

Post by Fikou » #548166

Cobby wrote:a better suggestion would be to give trainers ability to give people fun and all permissions because it's stupid that you have to hyperfocus on ban ban ban when an admin can (and SHOULD) do much more than that.
yeah but thats probably harder than just removing 2 limitations from the config
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #550138

admins should focus on ban ban ban to meet their quota, not on funny memes
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #550202

Ayy Lemoh wrote:

Shellshock is 10 bytes. And it's a bug in the Unix Bash Shell. And I'm pretty sure that BYOND is way less secure than Bash.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master

Post by Fikou » #553321

Rohen_Tahir wrote: Shellshock is 10 bytes. And it's a bug in the Unix Bash Shell. And I'm pretty sure that BYOND is way less secure than Bash.
byond is the most stable thing on this planet what do you mean
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #562822

We've given admin trainers the ability to hand out some more perms. The intention behind this is for players to submit event ideas to the events workshop subforum, and much like with TC trades it will be up to the Admin Trainers to decide which ones have merit. The Admin Trainer will then work with the player to arrange the date for the event and any other specifics.

Heres that subforum: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=63 .

To be clear, these perms are only going to be given out too individuals who have submitted their ideas, and have talked with Admin Trainers about them. Perms like +Ban will obviously remain off limits to give out.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Phuzzylodgik: Yes.
TWATICUS: Yes.