Ban the N word

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Head Admins, In-Game Game Master

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Qustinnus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:39 am #549332

lol if you are so worried about the community's image maybe your ass should move to goon or yog.



User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Ban the N word

Postby wesoda25 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 am #549333

Qustinnus wrote:I'm not gonna bother reading 6 paragraphs from a literal who with 6 forum posts. We let anyone admin these days.

Discrediting someone because you don't know who they are makes your own argument look weak.
Qustinnus wrote:lol if you are so worried about the community's image maybe your ass should move to goon or yog.

Also, whats wrong with caring about community image?
Naloac wrote:Since you have asked for a *community opinion* and im the player voted admin. Ill give you my official opinion straight from the *community* Your fucking retarded

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Qustinnus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:45 am #549334

wesoda25 wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:I'm not gonna bother reading 6 paragraphs from a literal who with 6 forum posts. We let anyone admin these days.

Discrediting someone because you don't know who they are makes your own argument look weak.
Qustinnus wrote:lol if you are so worried about the community's image maybe your ass should move to goon or yog.

Also, whats wrong with caring about community image?

our image is literaly fine.

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: Ban the N word

Postby peoplearestrange » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:51 am #549336

Qustinnus wrote:our image is literaly fine.


You say that when your reaction to having anything changed away from what you like is to say "go play somewhere else". Doesn't exude confidence that it is "all fine"
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Qustinnus » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:52 am #549337

peoplearestrange wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:our image is literaly fine.


You say that when your reaction to having anything changed away from what you like is to say "go play somewhere else". Doesn't exude confidence that it is "all fine"
if you think the status quo is so bad and you can't stand it to the point where you need to start a new thread every day about the same issue then yeah, you should go to another server.

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Ban the N word

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:48 am #549350

bandit wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:if we do ban this word, I can see us having organized raids like with goonstation dedicated to bypassing the word filter and making our more vulnerable admins shit and piss themselves


then permaban those people, raids are already a bannable offense, how is this a serious objection

it's work vs 0 work in NOT banning the word
Unit2E wrote:Not the person you're asking a reply from, but that's an odd thing to ask. It feels more like you're seeing the time we didn't ban the word as a sunken cost. Why not ban it now?

banning it would be work and not banning it would not be work

and again, youve dodged the question. please respond to the following:
if we don't ban this word and leave things as is, what is the worst that will reasonably happen?
or to phrase it a different way, what is the sudden urgency to ban this word?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:53 am #549353

Speaking from experience, it's never just one word. Slippery slope fallacy doesn't apply here, you're setting a precedent on policy and other people will use the precedent that is set to argue further on it, this is how policy and any tangentially legal related system works. So we ban nigger, no one has a problem with that, right? What about kike, coon or wop? Still good, right? What about cracker? No? Where is the line going to be drawn? Is it just racism? Does that include racism to Canadians? Is it just historically oppressed groups? Will we have to start policing homophobic and misogynistic language as well? If not, then why should nigger get special protections?

This is'nt JUST about the gamer word, it's about precdent. By giving one word specific protections, you've laid the brick for a foundation to come and no matter how much you say you personally don't want that - other people will use it.
Either it's all okay, or nothing is okay, and I much prefer a community that is permissive than restrictive.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Fikou
 
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 am
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Fikou » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:02 am #549408

peoplearestrange wrote:If you can't write around using a racist slur then you really need to sit down and consider how you use language and why you feel you need that word in your common vocab.
Or you're just not imaginative enough to use other swear words you shitty pus-seeping amoeba piss sponge. Or do you just need shock factor to be your only bastion of insult?

ok why should i be creative when im trying to insult my friends, why do i now need to call them a faggot or a "piss sponge" instead of a nigger
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Tarchonvaagh
 
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 9:30 pm
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Tarchonvaagh » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:14 am #549422

why do you insult your friends with racial slurs?
"You cannot defeat what lives on in the heart, and soul, of every TG player" - Birdboat
Image
Image
Leave thought-provoking posts at my thread!

User avatar
Fikou
 
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 am
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Fikou » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:05 pm #549436

Tarchonvaagh wrote:why do you insult your friends with racial slurs?

because variety is the spice of life
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
CDranzer
 
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am
Byond Username: CDranzer

Re: Ban the N word

Postby CDranzer » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm #549451

Oh for fucks sake not this shit again.

We already have a policy on harassment.
We already have a policy on spamming.
No attempt to question the maturity of your opponents is going to distract from the fact that this is a virtue signal.

If the admins (and the most heavy proponents are admins) thought this had a hope in hell of gaining playerbase support, they'd hold a vote. Instead, we get these threads, because the hope is that if they show enough of themselves agreeing with each other in a circle for long enough it'll pass the "we've had discussions and reached a consensus" threshold in the eyes of the host/headmins for them to apply a policy change.

One way or another, if this does pass and get implemented, here's how it's going to go down - Ostensibly, nothing, and nobody will care. There'll be a couple of defiants that'll get made an example of and a couple of people leaving on principle, but nothing real significant. Then, after that, they'll move onto their next word, and their real target: "Tranny".

I've seen just enough of the way certain people in the community respond to that word to get a smell of how it's going to go down. If I had to guess, there's a number of transwomen in the metaclique that the admins have an eye on, kind of in the same way that male feminists tend to have their eye on women, only with more transfetishization - respectful on the surface, but kind of creepily predatorial once you peel away the superficial layers. I'd be absolutely astonished if there isn't at least one admin with pictures of tg trans catgirl dick on his hard drive.

The reason this is relevant is because aside from slightly tightening policies and a potential for a slight playerbase decline, things will mostly be fine for about 6-12 months, at which point there's going to be some kind of scandal, and what happens at that point largely depends on who's caught fucking who for what and how badly everything goes in the reveal.

tl;dr Either hold a vote, seize power, or shut the fuck up about it.

User avatar
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm
Byond Username: STP

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Sometinyprick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:00 pm #549452

We've always tolerated it because we used to be a blue board offshoot off 4chan, at the core of it I don't agree with telling people what they can and cannot say because /tg/ has never been like that and we used to pride ourselves on it. Plus people allowing people to say it is a great way of identifying retards.

I feel certain admins are getting a little too worked up about this, I've had players go off on me calling me a dumb nigger cunt and various other obscenities and I just find it funny, going further into banning certain words just takes us further away from prompting a relaxed atmosphere, players should not have to feel threatened for saying the naughty no-no words and if someone wants to be IC racist then again there's nothing wrong with that just let the crew deal with them and stop trying to police every little thing.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me

User avatar
Gamarr
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:10 pm
Byond Username: Gamarr

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Gamarr » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:27 pm #549460

Slippery slope. You start doing it for that, enjoy doing it fucking forever, for a growing list, when the bureaucracy has issues following tenets already there.

You worded your argument awfully anonmare but you're saying the same thing, I think, despite saying it so weird.
Last edited by Gamarr on Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Unit2E
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm
Byond Username: Unit2E

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Unit2E » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:30 pm #549461

PKPenguin321 wrote:banning it would be work and not banning it would not be work
and again, youve dodged the question. please respond to the following:
if we don't ban this word and leave things as is, what is the worst that will reasonably happen?
or to phrase it a different way, what is the sudden urgency to ban this word?


This is still a fairly odd ask. You're asking for the immediate negative effects for leaving things as is, at least that's how I'm reading it, I'm not trying to strawman. Deviating from the status quo is that which has likely effects in the future, keeping the status quo when there is no urgency does not have effects. However, that DOES NOT mean this is a sound argument. I know for a fact the status quo has a negative impact on how outsiders see the community, this is frankly just about indisputable. Try talking to your non-racist side of the family and explain to them how often the n-word is used so frivolously. Of course, this is a different group of people from us, in a hypothetical scenario, and of course, there is people that will argue that getting closer to what is deemed normal is not worth pursuing, but that is their argument to make and is not a strong one in my mind either way. To make a false equivalency that somewhat demonstrates a point, when the status quo was making black people ride on the back of the bus, there was no real bad thing that would happen if they left things as is. Well, besides continuing to make people very understandably extremely upset, but that wouldn't be a genuine consideration for the white dudes. It's such a non-argument. The status quo drives people away but keeps freezed peaches people happy. Keeping things as is would obviously not change this, and the main negative effect would be that it keeps driving people away. This is not a spontaneous negative effect of keeping things the same, as such does not exist, and arguing from a position that there needs to be such a negative side effect that will reasonably happen to consider changing anything up is preposterous.

Short quip here, but, banning the word would hardly take effort. Even if it did take effort, if it was to genuinely improve the community, surely people wouldn't be against some effort. Nevermind that, as far as I can see, all that needs to happen is an announcement, a rule change, and maybe a thread about it, that ain't exactly a big time-investment we need to carefully consider in my eyes.

User avatar
Gigapuddi420
 
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am
Location: Dorms
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:42 pm #549463

PKPenguin321 wrote:address this portion please:
if we don't ban this word and leave things as is, what is the worst that will reasonably happen?
or to phrase it a different way, what is the sudden urgency to ban this word?

I would have fought it was self evident: There is no urgency and the worst thing that could happen without this rule change is the community continues to truck on as it always has done and some people might be frustrated enough with the community to leave for greener pastures. So yeah, nothing much happen.

The whole thread is about people who care trying to argue a case for why the effort is worth it. Personally I'm not convinced; banning one slur out of many isn't going to make a big impact on reducing bigotry, at least if it's just one word on auto-filter the impact wouldn't be so big either. I just don't think it will really achieve much outside of symbolism. Stronger rules changes would make a bigger impact but would come with greater costs. People like to downplay the chilling effect it would have but I do think a lot of players we have enjoy the freedom to tell edgy jokes, be racist in game or deal with those situations in character.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

User avatar
legality
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 pm
Byond Username: Legality

Re: Ban the N word

Postby legality » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:16 pm #549469

Anonmare wrote: Will we have to start policing homophobic and misogynistic language as well?


god yes please

you have no idea how much i wish i still had admin powers so i could use the gib button anytime someone says 'that's gay' or uses other homophobic slurs

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:52 pm #549473

legality wrote:
Anonmare wrote: Will we have to start policing homophobic and misogynistic language as well?


god yes please

you have no idea how much i wish i still had admin powers so i could use the gib button anytime someone says 'that's gay' or uses other homophobic slurs

Now that truly is gay and I get off on sucking dicks
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
bobbahbrown
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:04 am
Location: canada
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Re: Ban the N word

Postby bobbahbrown » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:08 pm #549475

Anonmare wrote:
legality wrote:
Anonmare wrote: Will we have to start policing homophobic and misogynistic language as well?


god yes please

you have no idea how much i wish i still had admin powers so i could use the gib button anytime someone says 'that's gay' or uses other homophobic slurs

Now that truly is gay and I get off on sucking dicks
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 pm
Byond Username: STP

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Sometinyprick » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:56 pm #549483

To be perfectly honest banning no-no words is literally putting /tg/ down the path to become like yog and I'm pretty sure id rather see /tg/ implode than become anything like yog
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me

User avatar
Lazengann
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:26 pm
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Lazengann » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:02 pm #549485

have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:08 pm #549486

Lazengann wrote:have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

How exactly could you possibly know that Laz? It's not like we have skin colour listed on our profiles
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
InsaneHyena
 
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:13 pm
Location: Russia
Byond Username: InsaneHyena
Github Username: InsaneHyena

Re: Ban the N word

Postby InsaneHyena » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:19 pm #549493

Or maybe how about we don't become literal reddit
Bring back papercult.

Image

User avatar
Farquaar
 
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:20 am
Location: Somewhere north of Hogtown
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Farquaar » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:21 pm #549495

Lazengann wrote:have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

How could you know the racial makeup of the playerbase?

User avatar
Flatulent
 
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:36 am
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Flatulent » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:23 pm #549505

Farquaar wrote:
Lazengann wrote:have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

How could you know the racial makeup of the playerbase?

i look at people who get mad when i say the n word in ooc
bindy liberation front
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries

cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post

cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.

Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.

User avatar
SkeletalElite
 
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:14 pm
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: Ban the N word

Postby SkeletalElite » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 pm #549508

Why though? Because its offensive? So is every other slur and insult, to someone. The only reason our sights are set on the N word is because of its prominence. The rules are already in place that harassing someone is bannable, why does it need to be anymore than that? Sure someone saying it because haha funny n word may be shit and unoriginal but it's not like the experience is any different without it. If someone honestly believes that somehow the server will be better and isn't saying to ban it because of virtue signalling then I think you're mistaken. If someone's skin is so thin that it is hurting their experience then this server is not right for them, N word or not

User avatar
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:27 am
Byond Username: Arianya

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Arianya » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:23 pm #549516

While I get this is a hot button topic for certain people, I will remind that the point of Policy Discussion is discussion, not screaming at the other side till they shut up. There's more then a few posts in here breaking Rule 1:

Posts only designed to antagonize or otherwise escalate the situation are generally considered spam. Try to be civil about your grievances


Consider this a general warning to be civil with one another, even if you disagree vehemently about the subject topic.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg

nianjiilical
 
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:30 am
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Re: Ban the N word

Postby nianjiilical » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:00 pm #549532

if you're so vehemently opposed to the simple notion of not using one or two particular words with a long real-life history of causing meaningful harm to actual living people for no reason than "hurr stop trying to be reddit" and "virtue signalling" then maybe you're actually the asshole here?????

nobody is actually going to start arguing that we should ban people for saying fuck and shit and cunt and ass

filtering out those 1-2 words would have exactly the same effect as readding felinids: for about a week a bunch of pathetic assholes who are absolutely seething over not being able to say their edgy racism words will raid from other communities, and then once they stop literally nothing will have changed for anybody who actually plays on these servers

if you're that scared of slippery slope, just hold a poll/vote on it, its not actually that big of a deal
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: LOUD CLOWN until i think of something better

highly unrobust xenobiology/medbay slut

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Ban the N word

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:04 pm #549534

Anonmare wrote:
Lazengann wrote:have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

How exactly could you possibly know that Laz? It's not like we have skin colour listed on our profiles

They've got this idea that black people are fundamentally different from them, and everyone here acts like them, therefore none of them could be black. If you've ever spoken to a black person you'd know that they're literally just people, and not all of them are the incredibly fragile "poor little thing, we have to save him!" stereotype that some (white) people like to make them all out to be.

There are black people that think "MRS OBAMA GET DOWN"/"n-word pass" memes were/are hilarious. There are black people happily browsing 4chan as we speak, in spite of its reputation for spamming the n word and outright racism. I would frankly be surprised if 0 black people played on our servers. One of my friends irl that plays this game is jewish, despite us frequently building gas chambers on the server. I've tried to get a black friend into the game but he didn't get into it for no reason other than he didn't really care for roleplaying games.

Fact is, if your humor is already dark enough to enjoy SS13, you're pretty much never going to be turned away by an n-word. Targeted individual harassment with the word is obviously different, but we already have a rule against that and I don't think it's ever happened with this word in particular.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Ban the N word

Postby BeeSting12 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 pm #549556

I strongly disagree with censoring people in any form. I think we have adequate policies in place to protect people from individual harassment. I shouldn't have to consult a list of no-no words before I speak. I will say that I don't see the case for banning one word. Ban them all or ban none of them, I doubt nigger offends black people any more than tranny offends transgender people. What makes this particular minority so important? Again, I'm against banning any of them at all, but let's not be choosy about which slurs we ban since that's dumber than banning every slur.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
BeeSting12
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:11 am
Location: 'Murica
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Ban the N word

Postby BeeSting12 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:30 pm #549557

Doublepost but would this include nigga or is nigger the only word being banned?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day


[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))

hows my driving?

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Ban the N word

Postby wesoda25 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 pm #549570

Lazengann wrote:have you guys ever wondered why no black people play here lmao

It hurt itself in its confusion!
Naloac wrote:Since you have asked for a *community opinion* and im the player voted admin. Ill give you my official opinion straight from the *community* Your fucking retarded

User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: Ban the N word

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:26 pm #549571

To every retard crying "B-b-b-BUT SLIPPERY SLOPE FALLACY"

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:44 pm #549574

Slippery Slope Fallacy doesn't apply to legislation, which is what server policy is. Legislation is based upon precedent and people arguing from these previously established precedents to set further precedents. In essence, calling slippery slope fallacy on policy-making is to ignore every policy that has ever been made ever.

For example, people hated people spamming WGW. Precedent is set that reading it makes you valid. Robot kills human reading WGW, people complain and the precedent is set that reading WGW makes you non-human. People start using voice-changers to read WGW as other people, people complain, new precedent is set that you have to be sure it really was them now.

In layman's terms, just because not all slopes are slippery doesn't mean there aren't slippery slopes.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Ghilker
 
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:44 am
Byond Username: Ghilker

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Ghilker » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20 am #549583

Anonmare wrote:For example, people hated people spamming WGW. Precedent is set that reading it makes you valid. Robot kills human reading WGW, people complain and the precedent is set that reading WGW makes you non-human. People start using voice-changers to read WGW as other people, people complain, new precedent is set that you have to be sure it really was them now.


For example, people hated people bullying them. Precedent is set that goes on bullying makes it harrassment. People start saying the N-word randomly, people complain the the precedent is set that saying the N-word makes you bannable. People start saying Ligger or other no no words, people complain, new precedent is set that you can't use those words because is a bypass of the N-word.

I'm not for nor against the banning of the N-word. just showing the fallacy of your statement.

Slippery Slope Fallacy doesn't apply to legislation, which is what server policy is. Legislation is based upon precedent and people arguing from these previously established precedents to set further precedents. In essence, calling slippery slope fallacy on policy-making is to ignore every policy that has ever been made ever.


It does, like i showed you.

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:54 am #549586

That's exactly my point though, people use the precedent set for one word to apply it to others. The definition gets continously expanded to the point of being both an administrative nightmare and overly-restrictive by people who will use the precedent that's established. It's better to side-step the issue by never comprimising on the issue at all.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Unit2E
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm
Byond Username: Unit2E

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Unit2E » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 am #549588

Really if we do any word bans at all I'd like a further-reaching ban than just the n-word. And I very much am of the position we should. I get wanting to do it gradually, but you're just giving the "s-s-s-ssslippery" people ammunition for when more words are up for bans. Any progress is good progress, and I don't think the naysayers will ever be satisfied, but what can you do.

I will say that you'll never satisfy the people that simply do not want this, as Gigapuddi said, there are people that want to make edgy jokes, and be racist, and there is nothing you can do about that. When you try for gradual progress you'll get people saying tg is slipperying its way down to [server they do not like] status. I hypothesise if a lot of change was done in one shot, however, there would be pushback for suddenly pushing for such a large change.

User avatar
Anonmare
 
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Location: Blighty
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Anonmare » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:16 am #549590

I will say if that does happen, I'll move downstream. I have no desire to be a part of someplace that feels the need to language police.
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: Ban the N word

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:48 am #549600

Unit2E wrote:Really if we do any word bans at all I'd like a further-reaching ban than just the n-word. And I very much am of the position we should.

I get wanting to do it gradually, but you're just giving the "s-s-s-ssslippery" people ammunition for when more words are up for bans.


No no, you already gave all the proof that you DO want to expand on it if it goes through and that every time you decry "slippery slope" you're showing that you're either intentionally arguing in bad faith or you're legitimately a dumbass that doesn't understand what "slippery slope" means.

Are you SURE you aren't American?

User avatar
Unit2E
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm
Byond Username: Unit2E

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Unit2E » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:11 am #549606

Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

That aside, no, I'm not arguing in bad faith, I am seeing a fair amount of people respond with slippery sloping. I do agree that is essentially what would happen if more and more bans on words are done without discussion. However, if a fair discussion is given any time someone wants to push the envelope, I'm sure actual slippy-ing would be stopped in its tracks, as people can just say no whenever they do not agree, as is being done here. Also, I have stated that I am very much for simply banning more words in one go on multiple occassions, and for all I care we can be done with it after that. So yes, I don't think I'm arguing for actual slippery sloping. I want more words gone than just the n-word, and I don't think how I'm presenting that is done in bad faith.

User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: Ban the N word

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:20 am #549607

Unit2E wrote:Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

That aside, no, I'm not arguing in bad faith, I am seeing a fair amount of people respond with slippery sloping. I do agree that is essentially what would happen if more and more bans on words are done without discussion. However, if a fair discussion is given any time someone wants to push the envelope, I'm sure actual slippy-ing would be stopped in its tracks, as people can just say no whenever they do not agree, as is being done here. Also, I have stated that I am very much for simply banning more words in one go on multiple occassions, and for all I care we can be done with it after that. So yes, I don't think I'm arguing for actual slippery sloping. I want more words gone than just the n-word, and I don't think how I'm presenting that is done in bad faith.


First off - yes.

Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

Thirdly - It's bad faith to claim "slippery slope" as a fallacy when it's clear as day if this goes through the word police will push for more using this as a precedent. ESPECIALLY considering that this "we wanna ban the one word" thread is derived from MSO closing their last "we wanna ban bad words" thread.

User avatar
Unit2E
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm
Byond Username: Unit2E

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Unit2E » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:34 am #549611

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Unit2E wrote:Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

That aside, no, I'm not arguing in bad faith, I am seeing a fair amount of people respond with slippery sloping. I do agree that is essentially what would happen if more and more bans on words are done without discussion. However, if a fair discussion is given any time someone wants to push the envelope, I'm sure actual slippy-ing would be stopped in its tracks, as people can just say no whenever they do not agree, as is being done here. Also, I have stated that I am very much for simply banning more words in one go on multiple occassions, and for all I care we can be done with it after that. So yes, I don't think I'm arguing for actual slippery sloping. I want more words gone than just the n-word, and I don't think how I'm presenting that is done in bad faith.


First off - yes.

Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

Thirdly - It's bad faith to claim "slippery slope" as a fallacy when it's clear as day if this goes through the word police will push for more using this as a precedent. ESPECIALLY considering that this "we wanna ban the one word" thread is derived from MSO closing their last "we wanna ban bad words" thread.


I don't think all Americans are dumbasses.
That aside, I suppose there is a point to be made that some people would use this as a precedent. Frankly, that is probably the truth, and I don't intend to overlook that really. However, unless that is suddenly going to go over without debate, I don't see why people would not be up in arms as they are now, about it. Perhaps that's just not how these forums operate, I will admit I mainly play the game and admin, I rarely look at the forums. I don't doubt people would still argue against removing more gamer words, even when a gamer word was previously removed.

It was entirely not my intention to argue in bad faith, or to shove slippery slope under the bus entirely. My belief that it doesn't apply that much is because of even the current extreme pushback over this, I don't personally think that would suddenly entirely subside should a gamer word, or multiple gamer words, be banned. If it did, that is a seperate issue, in my mind. In any case I'm sorry for making it seem like it's entirely not something to consider, as I do agree that, if a word or multiple words are banned, it would be used to argue different points in the future. I just do not personally believe that argument will be seen as valid, anyway. That is all.

User avatar
The Respected Man
 
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:31 am
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Re: Ban the N word

Postby The Respected Man » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:47 am #549612

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Unit2E wrote:Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?


First off - yes.

OK BUDDY RETARD CLEARLY SOMEONE IS IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME FREEDOM. GIVE US YOUR COORDINATES FOR DRONE RELATED PURPOSES

User avatar
CDranzer
 
Joined: Sun May 05, 2019 11:43 am
Byond Username: CDranzer

Re: Ban the N word

Postby CDranzer » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:02 am #549615

Okay, here's one - For those admins arguing slippery slope fallacy:
Why should we trust you?
What's your argument for why you won't just keep increasing restrictions?

User avatar
peoplearestrange
 
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: Ban the N word

Postby peoplearestrange » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:09 am #549617

Anonmare wrote:I will say if that does happen, I'll move downstream. I have no desire to be a part of someplace that feels the need to language police.

But we already do. You can't say certain words IC, they're blocked by a filter. You can't use slurs in directed insults to someone (I.e. calling someone who's transexual when you know it, the T slur). We don't allow direct sexual language to be used in any circumstances (ERP, creepy stuff etc). Its in our rules already. Its just you happen to accept those things and somehow you don't accept that this particular shitty thing isn't part of that.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment

miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly

WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.

Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.

TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...

NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.

Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!

Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!

Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

IM TRYING

Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch

Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...


Are you having a stroke

bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing

MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.

PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"

I'm a box

User avatar
PKPenguin321
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:02 pm
Location: U S A, U S A, U S A
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Ban the N word

Postby PKPenguin321 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:24 am #549618

peoplearestrange wrote:
Anonmare wrote:I will say if that does happen, I'll move downstream. I have no desire to be a part of someplace that feels the need to language police.

But we already do. You can't say certain words IC, they're blocked by a filter. You can't use slurs in directed insults to someone (I.e. calling someone who's transexual when you know it, the T slur). We don't allow direct sexual language to be used in any circumstances (ERP, creepy stuff etc). Its in our rules already. Its just you happen to accept those things and somehow you don't accept that this particular shitty thing isn't part of that.

these are not word censorship. i can say tranny with no reprecussions provided i don't say it to harass someone who i know is transexual, just like i can say nigger as long as im not knowingly saying it at a black person with intent to harass.
if the word nigger or the word tranny was banned, i would be banned for this post.

also HOLY SHIT do NOT compare rule 8 to word censorship, i thought I MADE MYSELF CLEAR
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Gigapuddi420
 
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 8:08 am
Location: Dorms
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Gigapuddi420 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:03 am #549626

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

And the headmins of the day can just keep passing on it. :lol:

You guys do realize that you don't have to be a admin to propose rule changes or new policy right? Literally anyone could push for further or lesser restrictions. Like everyone else they just make a thread and argue their case, at best admins are in a better position to influence their peers. The ultimate decision makers are the headmins who themselves need to form a majority to change things. Even if the current headmins agree to ban this slur, there is nothing preventing future headmin teams from unbanning it or going further. Any admin or player could push for further changes in the mean time, they can also push to remove those changes. Anonmare's point about precedent does hold some weight however; with one step towards censorship the resistance against going further would be less in the minds of the people you are trying to convince. It still holds true that each step would be fought over and it's not really a slope with resetera gulags at the bottom as a inevitable outcome.

Face it, some people will always push for change and they are entitled to do so, headmins don't have to enact proposed changes and you can argue how the changes would negatively impact the server. Try actually arguing your point.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.

User avatar
terranaut
TGMC Lead
 
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:43 pm
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Ban the N word

Postby terranaut » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:41 am #549638

people who dont believe in the slippery slope are either lying or stupid
Image

Tell me I'm a good monki: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=24558

User avatar
XivilaiAnaxes
 
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 7:13 am
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Re: Ban the N word

Postby XivilaiAnaxes » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:59 am #549642

terranaut wrote:people who dont believe in the slippery slope are either lying or stupid

but dude i read somewhere it's a "fallacy" which means its not real? internet not lie to me??

User avatar
Sylphet
 
Joined: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:35 am
Location: Deepest Medbay
Byond Username: Sylphet

Re: Ban the N word

Postby Sylphet » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 am #549646

I really like this idea on the surface. People who can't go 30 seconds without saying their funny gamer words are unbearable - but I'm not sure what it would really accomplish. People like that will just find something else to say in its place, and they'll always be one step ahead of the banned words list. Even if banning gamer words was practical, it does nothing to stop people saying racist or sexist things in general. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone scream DESPITE MAKING UP ONLY 13% both ic and ooc, on manuel. And reading this thread, it looks like there's some disagreement in the admin team too. I don't think it would really be possible to enforce this rule, between some admins potentially overlooking violations, how quickly racists come up with new words to avoid bans, and the endless screaming from people who are angry that they can't be ironically ;^) racist anymore.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=27175

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Ban the N word

Postby oranges » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 am #549647

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

And the headmins of the day can just keep passing on it. :lol:

I seem to remember you saying people couldn't keep re arbitrating on cat people

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users