Ban the N word

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Ban the N word

Post by Qbopper » #549129

Bottom post of the previous page:

that's it

if you want a line drawn clearly, there you go - if you use the n word in a context that isn't obviously good faith/clinical (eg. discussing a slur ban in a thread like this) you are banned. ban it from IC, ban it from OOC, ban it from discord and the forums. idc about the exact punishment since I'm just putting this up for discussion but you could make it zero tolerance or a one time temp ban followed by a permaban, if you like

I agree that these discussions do not start with enough nuance so let's narrow shit down to something where progress can actually be made instead of habing two sides that are already hyper entrenched in their views take potshots and get sidetracked on stupid bullshit
Limey wrote:its too late.
Unit2E
Byond Username: Unit2E

Re: Ban the N word

Post by Unit2E » #549606

Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

That aside, no, I'm not arguing in bad faith, I am seeing a fair amount of people respond with slippery sloping. I do agree that is essentially what would happen if more and more bans on words are done without discussion. However, if a fair discussion is given any time someone wants to push the envelope, I'm sure actual slippy-ing would be stopped in its tracks, as people can just say no whenever they do not agree, as is being done here. Also, I have stated that I am very much for simply banning more words in one go on multiple occassions, and for all I care we can be done with it after that. So yes, I don't think I'm arguing for actual slippery sloping. I want more words gone than just the n-word, and I don't think how I'm presenting that is done in bad faith.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #549607

Unit2E wrote:Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

That aside, no, I'm not arguing in bad faith, I am seeing a fair amount of people respond with slippery sloping. I do agree that is essentially what would happen if more and more bans on words are done without discussion. However, if a fair discussion is given any time someone wants to push the envelope, I'm sure actual slippy-ing would be stopped in its tracks, as people can just say no whenever they do not agree, as is being done here. Also, I have stated that I am very much for simply banning more words in one go on multiple occassions, and for all I care we can be done with it after that. So yes, I don't think I'm arguing for actual slippery sloping. I want more words gone than just the n-word, and I don't think how I'm presenting that is done in bad faith.
First off - yes.

Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

Thirdly - It's bad faith to claim "slippery slope" as a fallacy when it's clear as day if this goes through the word police will push for more using this as a precedent. ESPECIALLY considering that this "we wanna ban the one word" thread is derived from MSO closing their last "we wanna ban bad words" thread.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Unit2E
Byond Username: Unit2E

Post by Unit2E » #549611

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Unit2E wrote:Yes, I am positive I'm not american. Are you equating being american with being a dumbass?

First off - yes.

Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"

Thirdly - It's bad faith to claim "slippery slope" as a fallacy when it's clear as day if this goes through the word police will push for more using this as a precedent. ESPECIALLY considering that this "we wanna ban the one word" thread is derived from MSO closing their last "we wanna ban bad words" thread.
I don't think all Americans are dumbasses.
That aside, I suppose there is a point to be made that some people would use this as a precedent. Frankly, that is probably the truth, and I don't intend to overlook that really. However, unless that is suddenly going to go over without debate, I don't see why people would not be up in arms as they are now, about it. Perhaps that's just not how these forums operate, I will admit I mainly play the game and admin, I rarely look at the forums. I don't doubt people would still argue against removing more gamer words, even when a gamer word was previously removed.

It was entirely not my intention to argue in bad faith, or to shove slippery slope under the bus entirely. My belief that it doesn't apply that much is because of even the current extreme pushback over this, I don't personally think that would suddenly entirely subside should a gamer word, or multiple gamer words, be banned. If it did, that is a seperate issue, in my mind. In any case I'm sorry for making it seem like it's entirely not something to consider, as I do agree that, if a word or multiple words are banned, it would be used to argue different points in the future. I just do not personally believe that argument will be seen as valid, anyway. That is all.
The Respected Man
Byond Username: The Respected Man

Post by The Respected Man » #549612

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
First off - yes.
OK BUDDY RETARD CLEARLY SOMEONE IS IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME FREEDOM. GIVE US YOUR COORDINATES FOR DRONE RELATED PURPOSES
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #549615

Okay, here's one - For those admins arguing slippery slope fallacy:
Why should we trust you?
What's your argument for why you won't just keep increasing restrictions?
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #549617

Anonmare wrote:I will say if that does happen, I'll move downstream. I have no desire to be a part of someplace that feels the need to language police.
But we already do. You can't say certain words IC, they're blocked by a filter. You can't use slurs in directed insults to someone (I.e. calling someone who's transexual when you know it, the T slur). We don't allow direct sexual language to be used in any circumstances (ERP, creepy stuff etc). Its in our rules already. Its just you happen to accept those things and somehow you don't accept that this particular shitty thing isn't part of that.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #549618

peoplearestrange wrote:
Anonmare wrote:I will say if that does happen, I'll move downstream. I have no desire to be a part of someplace that feels the need to language police.
But we already do. You can't say certain words IC, they're blocked by a filter. You can't use slurs in directed insults to someone (I.e. calling someone who's transexual when you know it, the T slur). We don't allow direct sexual language to be used in any circumstances (ERP, creepy stuff etc). Its in our rules already. Its just you happen to accept those things and somehow you don't accept that this particular shitty thing isn't part of that.
these are not word censorship. i can say tranny with no reprecussions provided i don't say it to harass someone who i know is transexual, just like i can say nigger as long as im not knowingly saying it at a black person with intent to harass.
if the word nigger or the word tranny was banned, i would be banned for this post.

also HOLY SHIT do NOT compare rule 8 to word censorship, i thought I MADE MYSELF CLEAR
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #549626

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"
And the headmins of the day can just keep passing on it. :lol:

You guys do realize that you don't have to be a admin to propose rule changes or new policy right? Literally anyone could push for further or lesser restrictions. Like everyone else they just make a thread and argue their case, at best admins are in a better position to influence their peers. The ultimate decision makers are the headmins who themselves need to form a majority to change things. Even if the current headmins agree to ban this slur, there is nothing preventing future headmin teams from unbanning it or going further. Any admin or player could push for further changes in the mean time, they can also push to remove those changes. Anonmare's point about precedent does hold some weight however; with one step towards censorship the resistance against going further would be less in the minds of the people you are trying to convince. It still holds true that each step would be fought over and it's not really a slope with resetera gulags at the bottom as a inevitable outcome.

Face it, some people will always push for change and they are entitled to do so, headmins don't have to enact proposed changes and you can argue how the changes would negatively impact the server. Try actually arguing your point.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #549638

people who dont believe in the slippery slope are either lying or stupid
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #549642

terranaut wrote:people who dont believe in the slippery slope are either lying or stupid
but dude i read somewhere it's a "fallacy" which means its not real? internet not lie to me??
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #549646

I really like this idea on the surface. People who can't go 30 seconds without saying their funny gamer words are unbearable - but I'm not sure what it would really accomplish. People like that will just find something else to say in its place, and they'll always be one step ahead of the banned words list. Even if banning gamer words was practical, it does nothing to stop people saying racist or sexist things in general. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone scream DESPITE MAKING UP ONLY 13% both ic and ooc, on manuel. And reading this thread, it looks like there's some disagreement in the admin team too. I don't think it would really be possible to enforce this rule, between some admins potentially overlooking violations, how quickly racists come up with new words to avoid bans, and the endless screaming from people who are angry that they can't be ironically ;^) racist anymore.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #549647

Gigapuddi420 wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Secondly - There's multiple instances of headmin precedent saying "No we don't want to do this" but the same clique keep bringing it in (who ALL lost in the election) and for a fact you can tell that if you give them ground they'll use it as precedent to go "okay how about more since we're a positive community :)))"
And the headmins of the day can just keep passing on it. :lol:
I seem to remember you saying people couldn't keep re arbitrating on cat people
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #549679

oranges wrote:I seem to remember you saying people couldn't keep re arbitrating on cat people
I say a lot of shit on discord, especially discussion general where we likely had that conversation while surrounded by people who want to remove felinids for no other reason then they don't like them. Otherwise I've avoided every single poll about cat people and to the best of my memory argued that I don't mind it being a coder decision with proper reasoning. If the community decided that cat people don't fit the theme and could square that away with equally silly stuff then whatever. It isn't my project.

I have no doubt people will continue to keep trying to remove cat people in the future. I think it's stupid we have a vote on it almost every year with threads about it every new term but it's not such a core part of space station 13 that the community couldn't decide to drop it sometime in the future. Regardless of what I individually think the reality is out of my hands and like many other things it's down to convincing a team of headmins it's worth adopting. Just as easily you can argue against it.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #549729

Can you guys just open a vote instead of opening the same thread that leads to nowhere five times
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #554329

BeeSting12 wrote:Doublepost but would this include nigga or is nigger the only word being banned?
this
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #554332

look i didn't read any of this but can confidently say this is a stupid debate with no winning sides just let it sort itself out through healthy social shaming/bullying and stop trying to descend this shithole into goon sjw language policing territory which nobody can fucking stand because it doesn't fix racism it's self-righteous powertripping bullshit from a bunch of impotent nerds who have never felt a sense of agency in their entire lives. need i remind you that dante smith, /tg/'s famous and only black person gave us permission to say it. is he an uncle tom? no he's an uncle cracker
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #554336

Reading this makes me feel like im in an insane asylum filled with fucking clowns. Why put one word on a pedestal. Why give one word so much fucking power. Of course it wont be one word. It will always progress into being lots of different words. Putting more and more shit onto pedestals because someone doesnt like some random retard saying a word that may or may not even apply to them. We already have harassment rules. if someone finds out your black and goes out of their way to call you a nigger, just ban them on harrasment. If your trans and they keep calling you a tranny just fucking yeet them.

People who randomly say this shit all the time cos LOL EDGY FUNNY are just retards anyway and will get yeeted all the same. At the same time, Anyone who cant handle some random word that doesnt apply to them is a fucking clown and should be treated as such.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #554356

Naloac wrote:If your trans and they keep calling you a tranny just fucking yeet them.
People should keep their bedroom politics to themselves and that solves all the problems. While I have nothing against people with different tastes, I don't want it to be shoved down my throat. :roll:

Are there any really bad words out there that can cause real harm? Probably not. Does everyone have a right to be offended? Certainly.

Edit: N word has nothing to do with race, its about mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFyyuycIb0
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #554501

Words have meaning, without it they wouldn't be used to communicate.
If you're communicating a hatred towards using a specific word meant only to cause offence, and then you get all "LOL don't be offended! Thats on you!", why is that my fault?

Most people don't shove their "bedroom politics" down peoples throats, but people here talk to each other, its what happens in communities, eventually people learn information, and sure mostly you'd expect it to be kept between the people you'd want to hear it. But as we seem to have transparency in sorts, people who'd probably rather not know stuff about you learn things and use said things against you.

Decency would be that people wouldn't use these words so tastelessly, but apparently we can barely hold conversation for minutes without someone shouting these words in order to get everyone's attention for 30 seconds and boost their own ego.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
SumFaggotPlayTester
Byond Username: SumFagPlayTester

Post by SumFaggotPlayTester » #554502

Amazed this is still up; thought it was locked last time I ran through it. So quick question. Once nigger is banned how long will it take for faggot to follow? I'm asking this for two reasons:
1. Proves this slippery slope shit on this is true on this matter.
2. Makes me doubt the mental capability of the administrators wanting this.
I've always used my username as a shit-test on how laid back/moralfag/political-religion a place is for good reasons; go check out how shit-tier some communities are when they restrict words. As doing so invites in a different type of aspie to push the ruling further. If we can't say nigger because it " isn't obviously good faith/clinical (eg. discussing a slur ban in a thread like this)" then how long till this place is discount-powergame-Goon 2? Last I checked some resemblance of RP exist on all the TG serbs; just a question of how much in some regards. IC this opens up more IC issues: which is good. OOC this opens up: Whats that? Here look closer. Nothing. If they're not either a. spamming or b. being a dick to one person there is no reason to care. "oH No tImMy sAiD nIgGer!"? ...and? Of all the meaningless shit in this God forsaken existence to care about I've yet to see why words are one of them. Who cares if its a racial slur. So is Potato Nigger, wetback, cracker, white trash, and so on & so forth.

Here is a novel thought for the Head Admins. De-admin every admin in favor of this. It only will lead to further subversion unless there is some kind-hearted faggot pointing out their aspie moralfag nature. You know it. Many others know it. The countless communities burned by this shit know it even better. This shit is always to be "Make the place look better to outsiders." or "What if someone takes offence at it."; yet often devolves into the wrong people using those good intentions to push others around, ban them, exile them from the community they fuck around in, or out right use it to apply one of the many modern-adaptations of the word heretic to said person(s).

Want to know the best way to deal with someone calling you a nigger? Call them a niggerfaggot back then get off your period about words. They can't hurt you. Stepping in front of a bus can hurt you. The word nigger doesn't feel the same as a few tons of steel breaking your rib-cage the last I checked. Find something else to worry about; don't worry there is plenty more to care about than words.

Edit:
If people think more people will stick around from this then go get your brain checked for frontal trauma. You either adapt to a new community or you fuck off from it. Or in the case of Spess Mans you burn out then return later when you burn out on another code.
PKPenguin321 wrote:i escaped the cuck shed once before and then another time via anal vore and ill do it again
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #554503

2 data points does not make a trend (or slippery slope as people keep naming it).

Basing your arguments on "But what if X" is not only baseless, but not provable and a complete waste of everyones time.
The same way as we test merge things, the same way as the game itself constantly is in flux. Accusations of "ItS a sLiPeRy sLoPe" is nothing more than a fear of change or testing.

Edit: Better yet why not ban all the players who say they NEED the n word in their daily vocab because "muh freedom". Definatly seems like the loud minority right now and are community would be better without them.
What a wonderful solution this is, obviously.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #554504

headadmins are smart enough to curve this topic altogether.

as to the previous poster, the people lsupposedly leaving from a policy like this are likely a net negative, so it will only improve the community. Just like what happened when all the trash from bee formed wasp aka boomerstation.

nobody is going to miss the auth right part of the compass sorry.
SumFaggotPlayTester
Byond Username: SumFagPlayTester

Post by SumFaggotPlayTester » #554511

I here Goon is hiring atm. You should consider it peoplearestrange; they do exactly this already; I bet it makes a very laid back atmosphere over there. Hell apparently they used to be very laid back. Good thing no one ever abused this & had it turn into a shitstorm with admemes bullying one another over stupid political ideology, race, etc that turned into a massive public outing of the situation instead of focusing on a spessman game. Because that would be bad, and look bad.

Might take five years. Might take ten. Eventually the same thing would happen here eventually & I'd be willing to bet it be due to people such as yourself. Your inability to see this beyond a single word & what it would turn into (Since this would be a rule & precedent will be made on it & expanded.) is more or less concerning as you are an admin. A proper 3.2 :faggot: / 10 :faggot: admin. The laid back atmosphere of IC & OOC in /TG/ serbs is good due to the ability to be civil, racist, etc. As it is you don't see this shit getting thrown out 24/7 as it is. Almost as if people don't focus on calling each other niggerfaggots every minute & instead on their powergay, job, gimmick, RP, paranoia, or autism project instead.

So in conclusion: Fuck your optics. Loosing the laid back atmosphere of this place because some jannies get their panties in a wad over a word or two is not worth it. If someone wants to be an aspie & use nigger, faggot, or what have you non stop like a child then chances are they'll do something stupid as it is. Better to let them air it out as such before they fall on a perma ban for being a faggot; best part being it gives other IC justification to escalate for reasons undefined. There is nothing else to say to you or any other with your mindset.

tl;dr
PKPenguin321 wrote:what is the sudden urgency to ban this word?
PKPenguin321 wrote:i escaped the cuck shed once before and then another time via anal vore and ill do it again
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #554514

you're making a great case for why the people who leave are a net negative
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #554515

oranges wrote:nobody is going to miss the auth right part of the compass sorry.
Ahh yes, the authoritarian right, well known for their promotion of unrestricted speech and staunch refusal to clamp down on undesirable language.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #554516

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can't.

Learn this please before you go on a tangent about your feelings being offended.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #554518

peoplearestrange wrote:but apparently we can barely hold conversation for minutes without someone shouting these words in order to get everyone's attention for 30 seconds and boost their own ego.
you're pretty close to the crux but still so far away. the solution is to stop giving these people the attention they want.

if you start banning or filtering nigger out of the ingame chat or forum people will just type niqqer, knee grow, or whatever. it becomes a game to them to try and beat you and stay ahead of the curve. literally stop responding to it or just wordless permaban if its a guy flooding comms with it and it'll grow old and tired really fast.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #554519

People who cant handle the no no words are just as bad as the retards screaming nigger over and over again.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #554521

I just wish people would just be decent human beings all in all, being supremely strict would be a bad idea but some shitter going "NIGGER" in comms all shift needs to be gibbed or shut the hell up.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #554522

CDranzer wrote:
Ahh yes, the authoritarian right, well known for their promotion of unrestricted speech and staunch refusal to clamp down on undesirable language.
there is no retort to this
wanting the right to say the n word is more radical left
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #554527

CDranzer wrote:
it's the auth right who want to say the N word, lib right just want to sell merch to anyone they can
Taraiph
Byond Username: Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #554528

As perhaps the only black person to play on these servers in the past six months, I'd rather you not use a word that 80% of you find too offensive to actually refer to directly in these discussions. But most of you consider huffing mustard gas to be preferable to self-awareness so I won't bother with that argument.

Instead, I want you to come up with a different slur.

I get fucking tired of being called a nigger. It's the most boring, bland, basic insult you could throw at me and, frankly, I'm bored of it. Come at me with the other seventeen-trillion slurs for black people in the book. Moon Cricket, Sambo, Jiggaboo, Porch Monkey, Basketball American, there's so much to go for and you insist on nigger. I'm offended at your lack of originality and failure to respect the rich cultural heritage of coming up with new ways to be racist toward black people. I want it banned to improve the meta on these servers.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #554530

Taraiph wrote:As perhaps the only black person to play on these servers in the past six months, I'd rather you not use a word that 80% of you find too offensive to actually refer to directly in these discussions. But most of you consider huffing mustard gas to be preferable to self-awareness so I won't bother with that argument.

Instead, I want you to come up with a different slur.

I get fucking tired of being called a nigger. It's the most boring, bland, basic insult you could throw at me and, frankly, I'm bored of it. Come at me with the other seventeen-trillion slurs for black people in the book. Moon Cricket, Sambo, Jiggaboo, Porch Monkey, Basketball American, there's so much to go for and you insist on nigger. I'm offended at your lack of originality and failure to respect the rich cultural heritage of coming up with new ways to be racist toward black people. I want it banned to improve the meta on these servers.
i wont lie that's an impressive reason for wanting the word to be banned but i also just want to say nigga/er for simplicity
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #554531

oranges wrote:
CDranzer wrote:
it's the auth right who want to say the N word, lib right just want to sell merch to anyone they can
The authoritarian right doesn't exist anymore, Oranges.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #554534

peoplearestrange wrote:Most people don't shove their "bedroom politics" down peoples throats, but people here talk to each other, its what happens in communities, eventually people learn information, and sure mostly you'd expect it to be kept between the people you'd want to hear it. But as we seem to have transparency in sorts, people who'd probably rather not know stuff about you learn things and use said things against you.
This is more of an issue of trusting somebody who will then go out of their way to try to hurt you for whatever reason rather than John Doe the rando saying the N word.

We are all big boys, girls and otherkin here, if somebody is saying words we don't like then there is always the option of "Ignore OOC", if the person comes up to you round after round saying that your are filty XYZ and you should kill yourself without any IC justification, then this would probably fall under harassment.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #554537

PKPenguin321 wrote: banning it would be work and not banning it would not be work
99% of communities on the internet police slurs just fine. It's as easy to ban for this as IC in OOC, which is to say it's trivial. And no I'm not specifically making an appeal to popularity, I'm simply saying that they do it, therefore we could also do it if we wanted.

Having said that, please explain why you think most communities do this.
Naloac wrote:Reading this makes me feel like im in an insane asylum filled with fucking clowns. Why put one word on a pedestal. Why give one word so much fucking power. Of course it wont be one word. It will always progress into being lots of different words. Putting more and more shit onto pedestals because someone doesnt like some random retard saying a word that may or may not even apply to them. We already have harassment rules. if someone finds out your black and goes out of their way to call you a nigger, just ban them on harrasment. If your trans and they keep calling you a tranny just fucking yeet them.
Just because your words are not directed at someone in particular does not mean you aren't harassing them. If I walked down the street holding a sign that says "Niggers are not welcome", by your logic I'm not harassing my neighbors because I didn't say anything to them specifically.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #554538

MisterPerson wrote:If I walked down the street holding a sign that says "Niggers are not welcome", by your logic I'm not harassing my neighbors because I didn't say anything to them specifically.
Yes. A normal person would just walk by and ignore it, a sensitive person would clutch their pearls and go post on digg or tumbler and a mentally challenged african-american with homosexual tendencies would chimp out and commit a felony.

Words are only words and you have the option to ignore or get offended.
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #554539

MisterPerson wrote:Just because your words are not directed at someone in particular does not mean you aren't harassing them.
Yes, it does. Harassment requires a target. If there is no target, it is not harassment. It may be provocative, it may be offensive, it may be hurtful, but it is not harassment.
Taraiph
Byond Username: Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #554544

Istoprocent1 wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:If I walked down the street holding a sign that says "Niggers are not welcome", by your logic I'm not harassing my neighbors because I didn't say anything to them specifically.
Yes. A normal person would just walk by and ignore it, a sensitive person would clutch their pearls and go post on digg or tumbler and a mentally challenged african-american with homosexual tendencies would chimp out and commit a felony.

Words are only words and you have the option to ignore or get offended.
:thonk:
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #554563

All topics like this have gone nowhere and are unlikely to get us anywhere productive except to arguing with eachother. Therefore nothing should be changed and these topics ignored.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #554564

trollbreeder wrote:Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can't.
Istoprocent1 wrote: Words are only words and you have the option to ignore or get offended.
This forum, discussion, NTR, "drama", is a burden of evidence as to why this isn't true. OBVIOUSLY you can literally not read words or try to not be affected by what you've read. But the reality is people can't unread and people do get affected by what they've read, its why books and poetry and lyrics mean something, often you don't have absolute control over what you feel when you hear something.
The "sticks and stones" argument is so often touted as an excuse for bullying rather than dealing with the route problem that its become an empty cliche, so using it here is kinda apt.

Once again, I have yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why you NEED to say this one racial slur, especially over any other swear or expletive that would get the point across without specifically targeting a racial group.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #554586

You’re wasting your time this won’t ever happen
[this space reserved]
trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #554588

peoplearestrange wrote: Once again, I have yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why you NEED to say this one racial slur, especially over any other swear or expletive that would get the point across without specifically targeting a racial group.
I have yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why you NEED to have this one racial slur banned either, especially over any other swear or expletive that would get the point across without specifically targeting a racial group (except when you are).
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #554597

wesoda25 wrote:You’re wasting your time this won’t ever happen
Finally someone speaking the truth.

trollbreeder wrote: I have yet to hear any reasonable argument as to why you NEED to have this one racial slur banned either, especially over any other swear or expletive that would get the point across without specifically targeting a racial group (except when you are).
Really? Your retort was "I know you are but what am I?" I've given my arguments in the thread already. What I was saying is not that anyone has yet to give me an argument I accept, its that anyone has yet to address my question at all. They're all snide work arounds like your reply, or "slippery slope" baselessness.
Just answer my damn question then I might actually understand the argument you're trying to make
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #554606

peoplearestrange wrote: Really? Your retort was "I know you are but what am I?" I've given my arguments in the thread already. What I was saying is not that anyone has yet to give me an argument I accept, its that anyone has yet to address my question at all. They're all snide work arounds like your reply, or "slippery slope" baselessness.
Just answer my damn question then I might actually understand the argument you're trying to make
Let's say we banned the N word. Purely theoretical.
Now, someone makes a new word that means the same, and becomes popular through the internet.
That is a new insult you have to moderate so you don't look hypocritical (Wow, they banned THIS, but they didn't ban THAT which means the same!)
Repeat ad nauseam.

Doing this quickly turns into a whack-a-mole game of "what word do the kool kidz use today to hurt feelings?"

It's fucking pointless.

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #554609

Really? You guys are defending my ridiculous example as not harassment?

This site obviously deals with the legal definition of harassment in the US, but these two sentences sum harassment up nicely. "Harassment is unwelcome conduct that is based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. ... The victim does not have to be the person harassed, but can be anyone affected by the offensive conduct."

Webster's: "to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct"

Cambridge: "behavior that annoys or upsets someone"

I would do more but this isn't how I want to spend my Saturday and frankly I think ya'll get the idea.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #554682

If you get affected by a faceless nobody over the internet calling you "nigger","faggot", or whatever slur applies to yourself; you have more underlying issues that banning these people who have wronged you by using these words will not solve or even alleviate for that matter.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #554763

oh god forget rules lawyering misterperson is law lawyering the definition of harassment
Whoneedspacee
Byond Username: Whoneedspacee

Post by Whoneedspacee » #554891

I don’t believe anyone should be banned for saying something without ill intent and we already have systems in place for protecting people personally or banning people who have malicious intent.

This argument is never ending and I genuinely believe people who hate this word would be happier in a goonstation style community, but if you really want to throw a shitfit about it then put up a vote.

If the vote fails then you have to accept that the majority of the community just doesn’t really give a fuck and personally for me, seeing someone get banned over a word when otherwise they are a fine person is just lame.

Whether the vote passes or fails one side will have to accept the majority rule and move on to a community that better suits their tastes or just live on with whatever happens.

It truly is the beauty of the internet that you have free control over whom you interact with.
retired ss13 coderman
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #554910

I'm betting on the github issue is almost-directly tied the insanity in this thread in some form or another. Play shitty games, win shitty prizes.
Also,
Naloac wrote:People who cant handle the no no words are just as bad as the retards screaming nigger over and over again.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #554923

trollbreeder wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote: Really? Your retort was "I know you are but what am I?" I've given my arguments in the thread already. What I was saying is not that anyone has yet to give me an argument I accept, its that anyone has yet to address my question at all. They're all snide work arounds like your reply, or "slippery slope" baselessness.
Let's say we banned the N word. Purely theoretical.
Now, someone makes a new word that means the same, and becomes popular through the internet.
That is a new insult you have to moderate so you don't look hypocritical (Wow, they banned THIS, but they didn't ban THAT which means the same!)
Repeat ad nauseam.

Doing this quickly turns into a whack-a-mole game of "what word do the kool kidz use today to hurt feelings?"

It's fucking pointless.
Would it really spiral down into banning SIMP/Cuck.
► Show Spoiler