Valid Demotions are Protected similar to Valid Arrests

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Valid Demotions are Protected similar to Valid Arrests

Post by Cobby » #551790

Players should be protected from escalation against valid demotions in the same way that you cannot escalate against a security officer for making a valid arrest on you.

Valid demotion would be common sense actions like "wow you made meth instead of a chems literally the entire round so far!" or doing something the head of staff has asked you not to do (that's a reasonable request).

I think one of the major reasons people don't perform demotions despite the user basically being deadweight for the department is fear of getting hounded for the rest of the round (and consequently seeing no point to go head or actively avoid it).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Valid Demotions are Protected similar to Valid Arrests

Post by wesoda25 » #551793

At this point its cannon that the detective I demoted will kill me
[this space reserved]
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #551802

wesoda25 wrote:At this point its cannon that the detective I demoted will kill me
Any detective who gets demoted and does anything other then immediately going on the run to try to solve the big case while staying one step ahead of security deserves a bwoink.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #551806

Yes please
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #551808

Yes please
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #551811

I have always treated like it was... IF someones demoting you because you dont play the role you picked you shouldnt escalate against them.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #551819

Fully support. I've had entire rounds ruined because some bozo thinks demotion === VALIDS.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #551841

I suppose the argument here is what do you define as a "valid" demotion

Personally speaking anyone who kills someone who gets them demoted for what I consider a valid reason is getting dunked into the sun anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #551842

Related question:
Should invalid demotions entitle a player to administrative help? Or just, "well go kill them bruh".
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #551864

Last time i had this happen i asked the player. "if you got fired would you kill your boss irl?" and holy hell the answers i get back you all need therapy.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #551900

Personally I think the issue is more code then policy - getting someone to stay still long enough you can take their ID, important job gear, change the ID perms, give it back and then throw them out of the department is realistically not within the means of most heads that lack stunbatons or access to non-cable cuffs. And Security won't generally get involved for something minor like that unless they're really bored.

I would personally look at giving heads some means of having more control over their subordinates specifically. Something like being able to strip perms remotely for people within their department, at the very least.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #551901

I think that a part of a valid demotion is getting telebatonned, getting your gear/ID stripped, and getting thrown out. The head should make a good faith attempt to ask the person to come quietly prior to this but just because the head uses force doesn't mean you're allowed to escalate against them the whole round.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #551902

if I’m demoted I can still greytide and that includes stealing people’s ids(aka robbing my former boss to get my shit back) as allowed in escalation
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #551950

Flatulent wrote:if I’m demoted I can still greytide and that includes stealing people’s ids(aka robbing my former boss to get my shit back) as allowed in escalation
Under this new proposal: no. Stealing them back wouldn't be valid escalation, it'd just be greytiding.

Still, that raises a question. If the detective gets demoted, is that gamer gear he confiscated still his anymore? If an engineer gets demoted for building a disposals trap in the main halls, are the materials he collected to build it still his? Where do we draw the line between job equipment and equipment acquired on the job?
► Show Spoiler
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #552008

Farquaar wrote:
Flatulent wrote:if I’m demoted I can still greytide and that includes stealing people’s ids(aka robbing my former boss to get my shit back) as allowed in escalation
Under this new proposal: no. Stealing them back wouldn't be valid escalation, it'd just be greytiding.

Still, that raises a question. If the detective gets demoted, is that gamer gear he confiscated still his anymore? If an engineer gets demoted for building a disposals trap in the main halls, are the materials he collected to build it still his? Where do we draw the line between job equipment and equipment acquired on the job?
I think it should be fairly obvious. If you get demoted as an engineer and then use the fact that they took your insuls/metal/whatever job related stuff to kill them then you should get dunked on. If you didn't want that shit taken from you, consider actually doing your job next time. Steal it back or acquire new ones if you want to, but you cant escalate over it.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #552209

While I'm in favor on encouraging more demotions as response to shitters being shitters the post above mine could easily spiral to "I told the Engineer to set up the Engine but he just built a bar in maint after wiring solars". Yeah sure he ignored his boss and irl that'd get you bopped but Engis doing autism projects is the reason half the people play the role and I'd rather not give power tripping shitters, which is a big chunk of the command players, rules backing when it comes to demoting players for "valid" reasons (and trying to bait them into escalating so they cop a ban).
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #552210

I would be okay with escalating against someone so long as the actions you did (in this case wire solars) provided enough power to the station.

If solars isn't sufficient, no you should be focusing on providing power THEN doing le epic maint bar (just do a cringe N2 setup which is probably what you could have done in the first place).

Similarly for chemistry, it's fine if you make your AMAZING concoction (see: meth) but have at least one setup made for making meds.
Arianya wrote:Personally I think the issue is more code then policy - getting someone to stay still long enough you can take their ID, important job gear, change the ID perms, give it back and then throw them out of the department is realistically not within the means of most heads that lack stunbatons or access to non-cable cuffs. And Security won't generally get involved for something minor like that unless they're really bored.

I would personally look at giving heads some means of having more control over their subordinates specifically. Something like being able to strip perms remotely for people within their department, at the very least.
Maybe but finding a way to sensibly allow for easy demotion and removal of job-specific items in a way that nuanced so it doesn't also act as a really good quickstrip/stun device is gonna be a PITA. It's easier to just say if you're not doing bare necessities of your job to the point where someone wants you out then you don't get to escalate.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #552216

In my experience the biggest and most noteworthy demotions that lead into escalation are security related, and frankly there's nothing funnier than watching a retard try to pick a fight against a group that can vibecheck them on a dime
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #552218

Technically making meth (or possessing it, anyway) is a crime and you can totally be arrested by sec for that. But I don't think I've ever seen sec arrest anyone for making meth except when the chemist refuses to share it.

If we wanted realism, there would be a way to disable someone's ID access remotely. Last time I tried something similar to that, it got closed (though to be fair, it was a blanket AA-panic button). We'd want some sort of record process too, or else people will just run off to the HoP and say their ID got stolen by a tider and they need a new one.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #552237

Perhaps ID cards would serve as only ID cards. While your access is determined by a central server. Using your six digit bank code as a private ID. (Only you know it)
Example:
Man walks to door.
Door looks for man's ID
His ID returns 123456
Door knows the permission requirements for that door. (Maintenance)
Door to ID server: does 123456 have maintenance access?
ID server: ye
Door open
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #597896

Unlocking and bumping topic due to discussion in this thread
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #597899

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Fully support. I've had entire rounds ruined because some bozo thinks demotion === VALIDS.
This is the correct opinion.

The remotely removing access thing is a nice idea too.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #597903

Heads of staff should have more power and meta-protections period. Playing a head currently is putting yourself in a position where you are held to higher standards (both IC and OOC), as well as being basically loot pinatas for your access and tools.

This has led to the current meta where, as previously stated by someone in this thread or the hours one, experienced players would rather NOT play heads most of the time (except for the few command mains we have); and mostly new and naive players will try them out, get dunked by tiders or heavy command expectations, and then fall in line as they get more hours, never playing heads again.

As a disclaimer, I mostly only play command roles, and my opinion is definitely biased in some way for it.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #597904

"I can't believe I missed this thread. Its an absolute no brainer."
Hugs
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #597906

Cimika wrote:Heads of staff should have more power and meta-protections period.
Be cautious about giving out meta protections, as unlike security (who has lots), heads of staff can be antags. That being said, this suggestion seems good, I'd like to see more demotions on LRP. It's not one that is affected by heads being antag, since if the demotion must be valid, then there's not particularly any way for antags to game that meta protection.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #597908

This is a really good point. Protecting valid demotions for now sounds like a good stepping stone. I'm aware of my bias as someone who doesn't antag much and plays a lot of command, but I would really love some more love for command players.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #597913

I stopped playing CMO because the only pros is access to extra stuff and the whole department, and the cons is you're actually not a command role because people rarely take you seriously and you end up being medical staff 2.0

And don't even get me started on demotions where people valid you after you demoted them for being absent the whole round and not doing their job, making a bunch of drugs and not medicine, and let's not forget my favorite: Doctors that steal patients belongings.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #597916

I think one of the major reasons people don't perform demotions despite the user basically being deadweight for the department is fear of getting hounded for the rest of the round (and consequently seeing no point to go head or actively avoid it).
Heads should lead by example, if they can't robust people out of their department they shouldn't be playing command (the role where people are meant to look up to you as experienced leaders theoretically).

Comfy pro-staff head policy like this is unneeded, forbidding IC conflict like this is restrictive. Truth is, if they can't back up their decision to assert themselves on someones round with righteous power they shouldn't be crying to admins when they get shoved at a wall and lose their baton.

t. Someone who doesn't play.
Sparkezel
Byond Username: SparkezelPL

Post by Sparkezel » #597917

I share pretty much same opinion as Pugie. What I belive is also important in this thread is that if this passes trough I fear that it can be used maliciously, especially with incompetent command players. By the way chemists are supposed to be allowed to possess all drugs, same as how botanists can posses deathnettles or death berries and not get arrested for that.

I say this as CE main, if you are a boss and need to have gods help in order to not be scared of your employee, what kind of boss are you?
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Post by kieth4 » #597918

Cimika wrote:Heads of staff should have more power and meta-protections period.
I personally don't agree with this take. Metaprotection ,in my experience at least, hasn't led to much good. It tends to breed this species of powerhungry people who will use this a crutch to hide behind if anything there should be no metaprotection at all. You start with the telebaton which is one of the strongest weapons in the game so you should be expected to lead your department by example and fuck up tiders and keep your dept in line.
Cimika wrote:This has led to the current meta where, as previously stated by someone in this thread or the hours one, experienced players would rather NOT play heads most of the time (except for the few command mains we have); and mostly new and naive players will try them out, get dunked by tiders or heavy command expectations, and then fall in line as they get more hours, never playing heads again.
Heavy command expectations make sense in this scenario. You need to be able to lead and teach whilst dealing with tiders. The real pain of command is trying to get people to listen to you or having to deal with absolute troglodytes who seem to exist soley to piss you off, this, I feel is the primary reason experiences players don't play it. It's not more rewarding than playing a normal role and you're expected to be responsible for your dept when it's full of apes.
pugie

Post by pugie » #597923

See, it's true that being a sec player makes other sec players blindly agree with me.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597926

pugie wrote: Heads should lead by example, if they can't robust people out of their department they shouldn't be playing command (the role where people are meant to look up to you as experienced leaders theoretically).
That's where I disagree. A Head of Security should be experienced at robusting people, that's no question. But that's because robusting is security's area of specialty. The only combat ability your average head of staff needs is enough to avoid becoming a glorified loot pinata.

A Chief Engineer should be an experienced engineer. A Chief Medical Officer should be an experienced doctor. A Research Director should be an experienced scientist. How good you are at robusting people has very little to do with how skilled you'll be at organizing a team of doctors or engineers. They're two entirely different sets of skills. And frankly, Heads of Staff should focus on their departments instead of having to dedicate their time being the departmental security force because a former miner keeps smashing cargo's windows because he's angry he got demoted for starting fights instead of mining all shift.

A consistent point being made in this thread is that there aren't enough incentives to play a head of staff. Signing up for a command role is giving up freedom and taking on extra responsibility, with the only incentives being a couple gamer items. Experienced players don't take head roles because the cost is greater than the benefit. Protecting valid demotions like valid arrests takes a load off of head jobs stress-wise, while also giving the chain of command actual weight. Head roles already have extra scrutiny placed on them. To give them proportional protections is a no-brainer.
pugie wrote: Comfy pro-staff head policy like this is unneeded, forbidding IC conflict like this is restrictive. Truth is, if they can't back up their decision to assert themselves on someones round with righteous power they shouldn't be crying to admins when they get shoved at a wall and lose their baton.
Do you think that valid arrests should be protected? After all, why arrest someone if you can't back up that arrest with righteous power when they come back and crit you from behind when you're dealing with an antag? What're you gonna do, cry to the admins?
► Show Spoiler
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #597939

Thermonuclear take:
I don't think there should be that much incentive to play as a head of staff unless it's an absolutely necessary position. (to which I don't think there's really any that I can point out - heads of staff work great if a department is underfilled but otherwise are not exactly super necessary aside from HoP)

People should play as a head of staff because they want to help lead their department, not because they get protected by admins or because they get sick gamer gear.
I don't want a CMO who plays only to get the hardsuit + emped compact defib, I want a CMO who plays because they're confident in their skills as a glorified medical doctor and knows how to deal with just about any corpse that's tossed into medbay.

Removing escalation rights for a valid demotion is fine, as imo there really shouldn't be any form of escalation if you have to remove some jackshit chemist who thinks it's totally ok to take the slot to just make meth and blow up the chem lab the entire shift, (or god forbid, ignite med tech after someone tells him off for making meth the whole shift, an event I have seen before) but there doesn't need to be much more after that imo.

I heavily agree with farquaar's take though that CMOs shouldn't be expected to be hyperrobust powergamed gods, just please know how to use your telebaton.

TL;DR - we don't need additional incentives to play head of staff, just a few tweaks to escalation rights to set them as an actual head of a department instead of just another worker.

I realize after posting this that I should be taking up the mantle of CMO now that I've got a human static to go along with my moth static Nutella.
fuck I don't want responsibility I play this game to avoid that and I despise revs
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #597948

If a person is being shit enough at their job that the head has a good reason to fire them, then treat the employee as the instigator in any further escalation.
If the demotion actually is bullshit, then the head is the instigator.

"If someone wrongs you, you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence."
For invalid demotions, they have wronged you, go nuts.
For valid demotions, the head hasn't wronged you - you wronged them and they retaliated with demotion, which isn't violence so you don't have valids to escalate further.

Even the sec arrest thing works under the same lens.
If the arrest is invalid, you're completely innocent, and security are busting you anyway - congratulations, sec have wronged you so you can fight them.
If the arrest is valid, then you instigated it by commiting a crime. You don't get to then escalate against them.
pugie

Post by pugie » #597971

Farquaar wrote:ae
Robusting is a part of every job (especially authority ones) unless you're on Manuel sorry sweetpea...

Ahelping is literally always wrong in every situation, but if guy you demoted for a valid reason comes back and kills/fullstrips you I assume they broke rule 1??? Why does this thread even exist. Literal rulebloat.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597973

pugie wrote:Robusting is a part of every job (especially authority ones) unless you're on Manuel sorry sweetpea...

Ahelping is literally always wrong in every situation, but if guy you demoted for a valid reason comes back and kills/fullstrips you I assume they broke rule 1??? Why does this thread even exist. Literal rulebloat.
Farquaar wrote:Do you think that valid arrests should be protected? After all, why arrest someone if you can't back up that arrest with righteous power when they come back and crit you from behind when you're dealing with an antag? What're you gonna do, cry to the admins?
► Show Spoiler
pugie

Post by pugie » #597976

i didnt read your entire post
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #597978

what about the part he clipped out
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #597980

Screemonster wrote:If a person is being shit enough at their job that the head has a good reason to fire them, then treat the employee as the instigator in any further escalation.

"If someone wrongs you, you may retaliate. If you choose to retaliate with violence, you in turn have opened yourself up to violence."
For valid demotions, the head hasn't wronged you - you wronged them and they retaliated with demotion, which isn't violence so you don't have valids to escalate further.

If the arrest is invalid, you're completely innocent, and security are busting you anyway - congratulations, sec have wronged you so you can fight them.
If the arrest is valid, then you instigated it by commiting a crime. You don't get to then escalate against them.
Why does there always have to be an instigator? What if the demotion is simply the result of conflicting interests or differing knowledge?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #597981

CPTANT wrote:
Screemonster wrote:If a person is being shit enough at their job that the head has a good reason to fire them, then treat the employee as the instigator in any further escalation.

Why does there always have to be an instigator? What if the demotion is simply the result of conflicting interests or differing knowledge?
well gee if you did nothing wrong and got demoted anyway then I guess the demotion wasn't valid and your head just wronged you and you can retaliate just like if security came after you for a crime you got framed for

welcome to the world of imperfect information
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #597985

Screemonster wrote: well gee if you did nothing wrong and got demoted anyway then I guess the demotion wasn't valid and your head just wronged you and you can retaliate just like if security came after you for a crime you got framed for

who decides when a demotion is valid
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
pugie

Post by pugie » #597993

Evil jannies
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #598002

Malkraz wrote:
Screemonster wrote: well gee if you did nothing wrong and got demoted anyway then I guess the demotion wasn't valid and your head just wronged you and you can retaliate just like if security came after you for a crime you got framed for

who decides when a demotion is valid
You have performed your job 64% less efficiently than what I expected of you. It is now time to demote you, leaving you naked in the central hallways. And if you try to fight back I will ahelp.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #598025

if you are framed then you can escalate same as an arrest because you dont deserve the arrest.

Admins at the end of the day decide if you have sufficient reason to demote someone, same as any other conflict. Not sure whats with the weird framing here.
Arathian
Byond Username: Arathian

Post by Arathian » #598029

Yes, hi, I am alive. Hi Pugie.

When I played actively (and I am itching to come back tbh) I play almost exclusively a head roll (RD).

To quickly explain the positives and the negatives.

Positives:

1) Gamer gear and gamer access. Yes, I liked my to armor for my very unrobust ass and I liked having full access to command channels and all of sci departments.

2) You can do more to protect your department if you want it to actually, you know, do its job. Departments inevitably descent into a bunch of bullshit pet projects unless someone does the bare minimum coordination.

And now the negatives:

1) Gamer gear makes you a loot pinniata as someone mentioned.

2) If there is no HoS or Captain you have to either accept that every greytide is about to have AA in 5 minutes OR you will have to abandon your job (that you signed up for and actually want to do) to be discount HoS/captain for the next 10-15m while trying to stave off the very funni greytiders who will come for you.

3) You have way higher responsibility, both IC and OOC. If shit goes down, it's your fault IC and you can't just fuck off on frustration because an admin will bwoink you.

All in all, I found playing as RD very fun when it was with people I knew weren't dickheads (even when traitors) and infinitely frustrating when I had shitters under me.

----

For the thread at hand, demotions are given rarely because heads kinda.....are also there to have fun. We aren't here to make sure the xenobiology runs at 110% efficiency, the robotics only pumps out useful stuff etc.

The only demotions I have given are for actively harming the department. F.ex. someone deliberately wasting research after being told multiple times not to do it or (my favourite) a roboticist building off robotics to declare a "free republic of robotia" and even he I tried to talk to before he tried to fight me (then he got batoned, handcuffed, demoted and thrown to sec half naked).

The problem is that any random shitter can then lie to the hos and say "I lost my id can I have it back" and he will have it back. Having heads control who has access is a great idea. Furthermore, I think some actual enforcement against greytiding in the case where respective department heads are missing would go a long way to prevent the extreme frustration that it can bring.
Iron, blood and spider armies
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #598031

This isn't going to work when it comes to antags who definitely won't be doing their job. The moment a Head tries to demote them for fucking off the antag will ahelp about how this Head "Pre-preemptively meta them because they left the department roundstart and didn't do their job for 15 minutes"
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #598038

Cobby wrote: Admins at the end of the day decide if you have sufficient reason to demote someone, same as any other conflict. Not sure whats with the weird framing here.
I have enough things to Adminwho for every time I join the server already.
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #598044

counterpoint: youre already pressing the button anyways :smug:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #598066

Arathian wrote:Yes, hi, I am alive. Hi Pugie.

When I played actively (and I am itching to come back tbh) I play almost exclusively a head roll (RD).

To quickly explain the positives and the negatives.

Positives:

1) Gamer gear and gamer access. Yes, I liked my to armor for my very unrobust ass and I liked having full access to command channels and all of sci departments.

2) You can do more to protect your department if you want it to actually, you know, do its job. Departments inevitably descent into a bunch of bullshit pet projects unless someone does the bare minimum coordination.

And now the negatives:

1) Gamer gear makes you a loot pinniata as someone mentioned.

2) If there is no HoS or Captain you have to either accept that every greytide is about to have AA in 5 minutes OR you will have to abandon your job (that you signed up for and actually want to do) to be discount HoS/captain for the next 10-15m while trying to stave off the very funni greytiders who will come for you.

3) You have way higher responsibility, both IC and OOC. If shit goes down, it's your fault IC and you can't just fuck off on frustration because an admin will bwoink you.

All in all, I found playing as RD very fun when it was with people I knew weren't dickheads (even when traitors) and infinitely frustrating when I had shitters under me.

----

For the thread at hand, demotions are given rarely because heads kinda.....are also there to have fun. We aren't here to make sure the xenobiology runs at 110% efficiency, the robotics only pumps out useful stuff etc.

The only demotions I have given are for actively harming the department. F.ex. someone deliberately wasting research after being told multiple times not to do it or (my favourite) a roboticist building off robotics to declare a "free republic of robotia" and even he I tried to talk to before he tried to fight me (then he got batoned, handcuffed, demoted and thrown to sec half naked).

The problem is that any random shitter can then lie to the hos and say "I lost my id can I have it back" and he will have it back. Having heads control who has access is a great idea. Furthermore, I think some actual enforcement against greytiding in the case where respective department heads are missing would go a long way to prevent the extreme frustration that it can bring.
Hi arathian, welcome back

The ID system has been completely reworked and the all-access handout tidal wave is no longer mechanically possible. There are at most 2 cards on station that can have all-access loaded onto them.

Heads of staff have had the ability to manually demote someone from the department without involving the HOP for some time, and the situation you describe where they just say "i lost my id can i have it back" is instantly prevented by using the head of staff exclusive command channel to tell the HOP that so-and-so has been fired and may not be re-promoted
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598269

Cobby wrote:"wow you made meth instead of a chems literally the entire round so far!".
that doesn't seem like a valid demotion to me, just demanding a player sacrifice their own fun to work for you (which should be reserved for MRP)
if the meth exploded and they went back to it then you'd have a point because rebuilding after that is a pain in the ass
chocolate_bickie wrote:This isn't going to work when it comes to antags who definitely won't be doing their job. The moment a Head tries to demote them for fucking off the antag will ahelp about how this Head "Pre-preemptively meta them because they left the department roundstart and didn't do their job for 15 minutes"
so what is a valid demotion i think is necessary to agree upon before you can say whether they should be invalidated as a reason for reprisal by non-antags
the antag can attack the head of staff but then it becomes an antag tell and i don't see why antags should be expected to do this just to keep their jobs
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: