An0n3 amendment has become weaponised by the admin team

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

An0n3 amendment has become weaponised by the admin team

Post by oranges » #552796

Bottom post of the previous page:

The An0n3 amendment was originally added to be used to cut out shit posting and misinformed comment in ban appeals, posts that were well written opinions that had clear and substantial disagreement with the banning admins opinion were left in, because it was important for a ban appeal to be a discussion about the merit of a ban based on it's facts, rather than just an admin passing judgement on the appeal with no input from the community at large.

That was how we agreed upon the mutual contract between admin and players and was important to having a healthy community, because it meant that players felt like they could advocate on a ban and have their voice heard.

But the way it is enforced unequally these days, it's used to suppress anyone from posting in a thread at all as long as they're posting an opinion that dissents from the banning admins.

Admins are free to post repeatedly in a thread, all reinforcing the original banning admin, often when they're not even the involved admin, or posting any relevant rulings or speaking directly to any of the written rules. Right now it's an open joke among players about how many admins tend to post in appeals, each backing each other up and making it seem like the weight of opinion is stacked against a ban appeal, but that is simply because any dissenting opinion is swiftly removed for being (peanut).

To disagree with a ban, you either have to
A)post only factually, being unable to disagree with the underlying ban on anything other than logical grounds
B)rules lawyer your way to the original opinion about the ban that was held

A ban appeal is an admin opinion, the admin has seen a set of events and formed an opinion about what action to take under the rules framework, it then stands to reason that to offer some semblance of fair justice we *must* allow dissenting opinions to be raised on the same basis, of evaluating the facts on the ground, and establishing an opinion based on that.

People should be able to share that opinion in the ban appeal, without having it be suppressed because it doesn't explicitly speak to a named rule, or doesn't include new facts relevant to the case.

I say we need to rewrite the An0n3 amendment, to clearly restrict shit posting and memes, but to allow users to hold a clear and well stated opinion, where it is relevant to the ban at hand and especially if it's a dissenting opinion from the one formed by the banning admin. It should especially leave license for other admins to dissent from an opinion, and hold their own, without needing to speak to a specific ruling or item of fact.

As it is now, the An0n3 amendment is not being used to reduce shit posting from uninformed people, but as a tool to suppress anyone trying to argue a ban on the grey areas and not a technicality. This goes against the spirit of the original amendment and is deeply dangerous to our democracy.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Re: An0n3 amendment has become weaponised by the admin team

Post by peoplearestrange » #553635

oranges wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Don't be obtuse...
I'm not going to discuss specifics, as the rule are quite clear that this forum is not for that.
Ok that's perfectly fair.

Then what I will say is that I believe the very reason a peanut policy is required is the same reason we don't let all observers in game answer ahelps.
By which I mean a standard of at least minimum level of professionalism and a not this air of "I'm a player who's been round the block and I'm better than you" which I've seen from a fair few players that even abide by the current policy.

Imagine being a player who's never been to the forums, you do something stupid and you net yourself a short ban. You sign up to the forums and post your appeal.
Now imagine the first reply's to your thread are some older players/forum warriors who post something like "That's what you get you break the rules you fucking idiot" or "I don't think you understand X rule" or just straight up pure quoting the rules with no context. None of these things are helpful, they come across callous and snarky.

From what I imagined the amendment was for was to allow people to bring missed logs to light, to bring up recent policy changes that aren't reflected in the rules, to bring witness who were their into the thread, to actually help get the ban resolved correctly. NOT to just simply quote the rules everyone (should have) read, NOT to put their own thoughts on how the rules should be interpreted (policy discussion), NOT to simply antagonise the appealer or admin involved, NOT to assign judgement on a player simply because you personally don't like them and basically NOT to backseat admin.

Because honestly out of 90% of the deleted messages or unapproved comments they have mostly fallen into to those. I haven't seen many, if any, recently deleted/unapproved comments that in anyway would have shaped the ban in a positive way.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #553644

peoplearestrange wrote:
oranges wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Don't be obtuse...
I'm not going to discuss specifics, as the rule are quite clear that this forum is not for that.
Ok that's perfectly fair.

Then what I will say is that I believe the very reason a peanut policy is required is the same reason we don't let all observers in game answer ahelps.
By which I mean a standard of at least minimum level of professionalism and a not this air of "I'm a player who's been round the block and I'm better than you" which I've seen from a fair few players that even abide by the current policy.

Imagine being a player who's never been to the forums, you do something stupid and you net yourself a short ban. You sign up to the forums and post your appeal.
Now imagine the first reply's to your thread are some older players/forum warriors who post something like "That's what you get you break the rules you fucking idiot" or "I don't think you understand X rule" or just straight up pure quoting the rules with no context. None of these things are helpful, they come across callous and snarky.

From what I imagined the amendment was for was to allow people to bring missed logs to light, to bring up recent policy changes that aren't reflected in the rules, to bring witness who were their into the thread, to actually help get the ban resolved correctly. NOT to just simply quote the rules everyone (should have) read, NOT to put their own thoughts on how the rules should be interpreted (policy discussion), NOT to simply antagonise the appealer or admin involved, NOT to assign judgement on a player simply because you personally don't like them and basically NOT to backseat admin.

Because honestly out of 90% of the deleted messages or unapproved comments they have mostly fallen into to those. I haven't seen many, if any, recently deleted/unapproved comments that in anyway would have shaped the ban in a positive way.
But bans also set precedent, if an admin is setting a bad precedent with a ban currently the only thing you can do is try and make a thinly veiled policy discussion and hope it doesn't get removed on the grounds that policy discussion isn't a place to discuss appeals.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #553661

That might be true, except I haven't really seen many, if any cases where someone's (be it uninvolved admin or another uninvolved player) comment addressed this, its usually attacking the player or the admin or thinly vailed to pretend its not that.

I would argue that making policy discussion better and taken more seriously would be a better solution than allowing everyone to dogpile on a thread. And mainly having many many personal opinions thrown into a ban appeal not only makes the actual appeal hard to find relevant information, but also can end up derailing threads hugely. Making the ban appeal become essentially a second policy discussion.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #553672

oranges wrote:3.) This is not the place to discuss bans requests, appeals, administrators or other players; that belongs in the FNR section
Obviously, but if you can't cite any kind of precedent where this is an issue, I can't say I believe a problem even exists.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #553687

I'm quite sure you would choose to believe that
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #553688

oranges wrote:I'm quite sure you would choose to believe that
Yes, because it's important that I can trust my own judgement and have it pointed out to me when it falters. Would you maybe want to PM me where something went wrong?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #553798

The core problem with the policy imo is that it leaves little room for opinion, when an admins ban in essence is an opinion of itself most of the time, sometimes you have clear cut bans where a player is just being a fucking numpty and that's all well and good but other times the situation isn't as clear and admins are far from infallible so they can make the wrong call I've done it myself and I've had a player convince me using log reports that I made a mistake. My point being that if a player other than the banned person in question can come along and put forward a reasonable argument using evidence (i.e server logs) we shouldn't be removing it because it's an "opinion"
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #553815

To be honest, as someone who procrastinates on ban appeals and skirts on the positive side of peanut I could just use the current sec ban for cremation thread.

Imo this is a terrible terrible ban but I can't post that because it would go under peanut (the officer responded with a sorta low effort round removal to a grey shirt giving plain low effort, why on earth should he get punished for not giving a good faith response to flat out bad faith play from the grey shirt?).

But given the current peanut in NTR it's sorta obvious everyone would just dogpile on florran for his judgement even if some of us can maintain a professional veneer in a reply.

Peanut does help keep the appeals clean, you'd have to have some subjective line about ad hominem if you wanted to lean it more in the direction of "opinion allowed" - probably a bunch of other fairly subjective rules too, which would also be at the mercy of the admin in how they're applied.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #553890

Perhaps the soltion to this is (as has started to happen) is that mods and admins discuss peanuts/approvals etc allowing for more of a general consensus.
Maybe easing back on certain things.

I still am firmly behind that the peanut rule is useful, I've yet to see another server that doesn't have this rule and it work well.
Whatever
Spoiler:
Saegrimr wrote:
IM TRYING
Kor wrote:
Are you having a stroke

I'm a box
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #554129

peoplearestrange wrote:Perhaps the soltion to this is (as has started to happen) is that mods and admins discuss peanuts/approvals etc allowing for more of a general consensus.

I still am firmly behind that the peanut rule is useful, I've yet to see another server that doesn't have this rule and it work well.
I'm not sure why you deleted my post in Florans ban thread but pointing out the letter of a rule and that he is objectively ignoring it isn't peanut posting, and what people speak of when they say that forum jannies are overdoing it and the Anon3 amendment has been "weaponized".
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #554194

terranaut wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:Perhaps the soltion to this is (as has started to happen) is that mods and admins discuss peanuts/approvals etc allowing for more of a general consensus.

I'm not sure why you deleted my post in Florans ban thread but pointing out the letter of a rule and that he is objectively ignoring it isn't peanut posting, and what people speak of when they say that forum jannies are overdoing it and the Anon3 amendment has been "weaponized".
Did someone say "second opinion"?
pointing out the letter of a rule
Yup, fine and covered by peanut policy.
and that he is objectively ignoring it
I'd take issue with your use of "objectively" here - and the reason why your post got deleted is most likely because of this - it's argumentation, not citation. You may think it's cut and dry and that objectively there's no other interpretation, but that's the point, it's just your opinion. And in the same way I would delete a post from, say, pas which was arguing for the ban, I would have deleted your post.
Sometinyprick wrote:The core problem with the policy imo is that it leaves little room for opinion, when an admins ban in essence is an opinion of itself most of the time, sometimes you have clear cut bans where a player is just being a fucking numpty and that's all well and good but other times the situation isn't as clear and admins are far from infallible so they can make the wrong call I've done it myself and I've had a player convince me using log reports that I made a mistake. My point being that if a player other than the banned person in question can come along and put forward a reasonable argument using evidence (i.e server logs) we shouldn't be removing it because it's an "opinion"
I think the core issue is that the opinion of most people (including other admins, players, forum warriors, etc etc) don't really matter in ban appeals. I don't say that as a elitism thing, but rather because ban appeals are for 3 sets of people:

a) The banned players, to get oversight and say their part on a ban
b) The banning admin, to defend their judgement and discuss the ban with the banned player
c) The headmins, to excercise oversight and ensure their policies are being enforced/followed

The group d) Posters who can post correctly within peanut policy - enrich ban appeals but the forum isn't technically for them. The reason why the ban appeals forum is publicly visible is for transparency and so players can have an idea of what admins are enforcing as well as what decisions headmins are making.

So, does the opinion of Johnny McAdams add much? Doesn't it make more sense to practice the representative democracy we have - which is that rather then every player/admin/other posting their opinion, the headmins that were elected as their representatives do it for them?

Also as someone whose posted in ban appeals before being an admin - adding logs even without argumentation tends to do the job, for or against a ban. I don't think delineating an exception for argumentation adds much and detracts a lot.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #554269

Arianya wrote: So, does the opinion of Johnny McAdams add much? Doesn't it make more sense to practice the representative democracy we have - which is that rather then every player/admin/other posting their opinion, the headmins that were elected as their representatives do it for them?

Also as someone whose posted in ban appeals before being an admin - adding logs even without argumentation tends to do the job, for or against a ban. I don't think delineating an exception for argumentation adds much and detracts a lot.
That's like saying you shouldn't protest/contact your representatives because you're not practicing a representative democracy by telling your representatives what you think.

Not that it can't add to the appeal, but when you're just quoting a rule/log/ect. it can make sense to explain how that rule applies. The rules in most cases are very general, but bans can get into the nuance of a rule. You can only directly quote the rules so much without adding the interpretation of that rule to what you're saying. That's where the precedent setting part of a ban comes in, which is often inherently opinionated.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #554302

We will not be making any changes to the rules governing ban appeal thread posts during this term. Players that wish to comment on currently open appeals in a manner not prescribed by these rules are welcome to do so in the NTR hut.

To refresh everyone's memory, the Anon3/Peanut Post amendment reads as follows:
Timbrewolf wrote:THE AN0N3 AMENDMENT IS IN EFFECT

Adding to/adjusting the definitions so that players can post in a thread regarding something they weren't involved in, IF IT IS TO BRING UP/POINT TO/HIGHLIGHT a rule, precedent, or piece of evidence that was missed that is relevant to the situation.

This does NOT include:
"This happened to me once and I didn't get banned for it" or the reverse "This happened to me once and I got banned for it."
"My opinion is…" or "I feel like…"

This WOULD cover:
"Rule 3 says…"
"These admins have always allowed…"
"Actually in the logs it says…"

This would allow players who are invested in the rules, have the experience, and can conduct themselves well to advocate in threads.
To expand on the above, posts in ban appeals from uninvolved parties are much more likely to be accepted when they are based upon and accompanied by one or more of the following:
  1. Directly quoted rules.
  2. Directly quoted and linked precedent.
  3. Log excerpts directly pertaining to the matter at hand.
For those of you who wish to logdive and post your findings, (bless you, the true heroes of this forum) please reference this guidance posted by MSO:
MrStonedOne wrote:New rules regarding the use of public logs in ban appeals, ban requests (if ever re-opened) and admin complaints:
  • The content of line must not be modified in any way.
    • This does not apply to adding context (as long as its clear that its added and not part of the original log)
    • Likewise, you are allowed to add formatting or emphasis as long as it does not appear deceptive
  • Any omissions of in between lines must be clearly marked in-line to the logs along with a brief description giving a rough amount of the lines removed, what they contained, and why they were removed
    • -snip-(500 lines of the clown slipping the hos in the other room removed for being irrelevant)
  • You must link to the log file you got the logs from to make it easier to validate the context
  • Air on the side of good faith, Its better to include too many context lines then not enough lines context lines
  • Expect onlookers to assume bad faith. If you omit details that are later deemed to be important people will assume you did it intentionally. This means doing due diligence when reviewing the logs for related or relevant bits.
Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Aye.
Phuzzylodgik: Aye.
TWATICUS: Aye.