Going to centcom before round-end: Actually Bad?

Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Going to centcom before round-end: Actually Bad?

Post by Shadowflame909 » #555988

So far as I know admins will tell you to not go to centcomm with a "knock it off" and teleport you back on the station because of centcomm being a literal death squad end-game item pinata that other people like antags can't follow you too easily.

I feel like the first is kind of a code issue. Why does centcomm have death squad gear when admins can manually spawn that if they need it, unless if it's for player use? What kind of ban-bait memery is that?

The second thing is if someone figures out some new exploit to get to centcomm. (Old ones being emagging an ERT shuttle which got removed. Or glitching onto the cargo shuttle. Most likely through teleportation.) Wouldn't that technically make it so that antags, etc, could then follow their target and successfully do whatever their objective is?

This whole Centcom stuff feels like a snake swallowing its own tail. All these code workarounds and admin blocks to try and prevent someone from getting to the end-game before everyone else.

My final thing to point out is that the space ninja basically violates the whole "no going to centcomm early" rule when he spawns. Since his net does send you to the centcomm z-level, green texting escape alive and preventing others from interacting with you, as your in this hugbox hotel. (Basically centcomm.)

Ultimatum: Going to centcomm early is an unwritten no-no rule that I basically want to be written down. Because as far as I can see it's not against the rules anywhere. Or, I would like it to be allowed and maybe have that epic gamer gear removed/allowed too.

Someone got onto the admin z-level where admins do stuff and test things. The game is leaking into the testing era. But with all of the weird-weird-weird loopholes of this whole thing. Like the Thunderdome camera in the bar, and space ninja den. Is there really anything to hide from the players on an average round? Especially when we have roles that admins spawn there anyways. We trust the ERT being there, do we not?
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Going to centcom before round-end: Actually Bad?

Post by Armhulen » #555989

The real reason we don't want you there is because the syndicate base is there, the titlescreen is there, the shuttles go there when transporting, the holodeck templates are there, the team death match is there... i could go on all day long about the reasons admins should not be letting players onto that zlevel, it's not just centcom sitting there by itself

and by the way, if you thought i went through every reason: the secret rupee room is there... etc etc etc. DON'T LET THEM STAY!
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #555990

not gonna bother to read anything you wrote but its not an issue, if theres a code exploit its fixed and if a player just gets there admins can handle it
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #555991

Armhulen wrote:The real reason we don't want you there is because the syndicate base is there, the titlescreen is there, the shuttles go there when transporting, the holodeck templates are there, the team death match is there... i could go on all day long about the reasons admins should not be letting players onto that zlevel, it's not just centcom sitting there by itself

and by the way, if you thought i went through every reason: the secret rupee room is there... etc etc etc. DON'T LET THEM STAY!
This is very very true. But going to any one of those places via space will kick you out of the centcomm z-level. Unless it's specifically in centcomm.

The code has accounted for everything.

Now let's fill in this black hole blank rule with something.
► Show Spoiler
actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #555995

This is a literal nonissue, I don't see what the rule change should even be.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #555996

NOOOOOO YOU CANT JUST TELEPORT ME BACK TO THE STATION I NEED MY PULSE RIFLEEE NOOOO
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #555999

No situation lead to this. Just a little bit of thinking like PK penguins meme and me realizing it wasn't an actual written rule.

It makes sense to enforce, but every players gonna accidentally get to centcomm before round end. Maybe rulify it to prevent that first centcomm bwoink.

Edit: Check em
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #556001

Shadowflame909 wrote: This is very very true. But going to any one of those places via space will kick you out of the centcomm z-level. Unless it's specifically in centcomm.
wrong

[youtube]OeRcekyi3eA[/youtube]
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #556002

PKPenguin321 wrote:NOOOOOO YOU CANT JUST TELEPORT ME BACK TO THE STATION I NEED MY PULSE RIFLEEE NOOOO
One of the mech equipments on the wiki used to say the only way to get it is to go to centcom and get it from a mech there. It read like "this is a thing you can maybe pull off"
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #556007

I mean you don't get banned from Centcomm glitches, admins just kick you out because they're supposed to. It's not like you're ruining the shift.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #556009

[youtube]PQ4JgiaNdPE[/youtube]
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #556010

Going to centcomm is in the game rules, it's called an exploit. How each admin handles you exploiting is up to them, a teleport/knock it off is the best way to do it imo. If you don't report the exploit then you probably should be noted or banned.

edit: Relevant ban appeal I made a while back in which this actually happened: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=12269
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #556012

Shadowflame909 wrote:I feel like the first is kind of a code issue. Why does centcomm have death squad gear when admins can manually spawn that if they need it, unless if it's for player use? What kind of ban-bait memery is that?
I didn't mean to steal from them officer, but they just left their xbox one x in view through the window, who does that? what kind burglary bait is this?
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #556025

I feel like the first is kind of a code issue. Why does centcomm have death squad gear when admins can manually spawn that if they need it, unless if it's for player use? What kind of ban-bait memery is that?
I'm not going to entertain the idea that the game must prevent the players from breaking the rules. The whole point of having a rules based rpg game instead of a limitations based rpg game is that it allows for situations and scenarios not thought through by the game devs. Emergent gameplay is king here.

I know it means nothing to us now, we've all seen byond the veil, but to new players, having all of centcom's intricate rooms and equipment visible is magical. Maybe it was only me, but back when new centcom came out, I used to love zooming around centcom as a ghost, imagining functions for all of the rooms, imagining a centcom that's fully staffed by players throughout the round, full blown processing queues for arriving e-shuttles with medical teams and security details.

Having the equipment actually there lends to that creative process.

tl;dr: shadow: I do not think you are autist enough to truly appreciate this game.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #556026

Its already considered an exploit, there isn't a need for a rule specifically stopping you from getting there.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #556027

MrStonedOne wrote:I'm not going to entertain the idea that the game must prevent the players from breaking the rules. The whole point of having a rules based rpg game instead of a limitations based rpg game is that it allows for situations and scenarios not thought through by the game devs. Emergent gameplay is king here.

I know it means nothing to us now, we've all seen byond the veil, but to new players, having all of centcom's intricate rooms and equipment visible is magical. Maybe it was only me, but back when new centcom came out, I used to love zooming around centcom as a ghost, imagining functions for all of the rooms, imagining a centcom that's fully staffed by players throughout the round, full blown processing queues for arriving e-shuttles with medical teams and security details.

Having the equipment actually there lends to that creative process.

tl;dr: shadow: I do not think you are autist enough to truly appreciate this game.
Considering this, and the fact that actual ghostroles can spawn on centcom and travel back and forth between it nearly at will, it might be worth considering giving centcom it's own actual isolated z-level, separate from what would then become the admin z-level.

Maybe it should be accessible for the truly creative and dedicated. Maybe it should see more use during special events. Maybe all the effort mappers of the past have put into making centcom as nice looking as it is should have the opportunity to be appreciated a bit more.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #556065

It's wonderful because they put the effort in knowing it would be barely used by anyone but admins.

It's like the flange on the bottom of the cart that the blacksmith spends extra time on, he knows that nobody else will see it, but he knows he will see that cart every day, and knows the flange is there.

That's craftsmanship
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #556108

Also this isn't really a rules issue since if you get there by accident (somehow) then it's not gonna get you told off, just yeeted back to station.

If you're maliciously exploiting a bug (which basically every means of getting to centcomm which isn't the escape shuttle/the ERT shuttle/admin invoked is) then you'll be told to report the bug and not exploit it, and if you then exploit the bug that's already against the rules.

This feels like a policy discussion in search of a problem.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #556121

once i stowed on the shuttle at arrivals and it actually left and a guy welcomed me to centcom and i walked around it was the bee's knees
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

actioninja
Byond Username: Actioninja

Post by actioninja » #556231

Arianya wrote:Also this isn't really a rules issue since if you get there by accident (somehow) then it's not gonna get you told off, just yeeted back to station.

If you're maliciously exploiting a bug (which basically every means of getting to centcomm which isn't the escape shuttle/the ERT shuttle/admin invoked is) then you'll be told to report the bug and not exploit it, and if you then exploit the bug that's already against the rules.

This feels like a policy discussion in search of a problem.
Even if you do intentionally exploit it as long as you only do it once and then report it I've never seen an admin actually get mad about it.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #556307

Arianya wrote:maliciously exploiting a bug (which basically every means of getting to centcomm which isn't the escape shuttle/the ERT shuttle/admin invoked is)
How is exploration malicious?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #556308

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Arianya wrote:maliciously exploiting a bug (which basically every means of getting to centcomm which isn't the escape shuttle/the ERT shuttle/admin invoked is)
How is exploration malicious?
It's not until you do it a second time. First time is okay because that's the discovery of the exploit. After that you need to report it on github or to the admins so they can submit a report and not use the exploit. And if you use the exploit to fuck with stuff such as the shuttle or other important things then that too is malicious.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #556376

oranges wrote:It's wonderful because they put the effort in knowing it would be barely used by anyone but admins.

It's like the flange on the bottom of the cart that the blacksmith spends extra time on, he knows that nobody else will see it, but he knows he will see that cart every day, and knows the flange is there.

That's craftsmanship
belgariad?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #556396

This isn't a rules thing, there's not supposed to be any legitimate way to get to Centcomm that doesn't involve riding the ferry or the escape shuttle. If there is, it's considered an exploit and we expect you to report it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #557696

Players winding up at centcomm has been handled without much issue, and we see no reason to add any specific rules regarding it.

Headmin votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Fine as is.
Phuzzlodgik: Fine as is.
TWATICUS: Fine as is.