remove all non-event hall servers from the hub

angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

remove all non-event hall servers from the hub

Post by angelstarri » #557090

it's time to stop

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Re: remove all non-event hall servers from the hub

Post by cybersaber101 » #557098

I like to think it's karma.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #557102

And go back to few hours of barely 50 pop Terry, because the map voting system literally drove people away? No thanks. Keep them on the hub.

A better solution would be capping all the servers at 60-64 players. This probably reduces lag as well as distribute the people.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #557112

Istoprocent1 wrote:And go back to few hours of barely 50 pop Terry, because the map voting system literally drove people away? No thanks. Keep them on the hub.
MAP VOTE SYSTEM KILLED MY DAD FUCK SHIT FUCK
[this space reserved]
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #557374

Hubbies and event ?️allers make me feel a lot of pain so I agree with the statement
Last edited by Flatulent on Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #557380

Add all the LRP servers to the hub, re-evaluate when the pandemic is over.
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #557383

RaveRadbury wrote:Add all the LRP servers to the hub, re-evaluate when the pandemic is over.
That won't solve anything, population will not split neatly, one server is going to be absolutely loaded with people then a runner up with few followed by 2 very low/low pop. And you know whats going to happen? whatever server becomes lowpop the regulars there are going to complain and ask for things changed just like right now and the server filled with hubbies will complain about hubbies, just like right now.

Population doesnt come out of thin air, some servers will grow dark then come back over time.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #557399

cybersaber101 wrote:That won't solve anything, population will not split neatly, one server is going to be absolutely loaded with people then a runner up with few followed by 2 very low/low pop. And you know whats going to happen? whatever server becomes lowpop the regulars there are going to complain and ask for things changed just like right now and the server filled with hubbies will complain about hubbies, just like right now.

Population doesnt come out of thin air, some servers will grow dark then come back over time.
Consider that when hubbies look through the server list, if they've enjoyed EH but maybe they are feeling salty about a round and they want to go somewhere else, they go to Sybil. This isn't unlike the relationship between bagil and sybil. The reason we keep Sybil at a lower pop is to provide an alternate space that is intended to be lower pop to discourage pop chasers.

When Sybil is capping out it usually means that enough players have gone there from the other servers such that a tipping point has been reached and its attracting popchasers.

Imsxz has talked about this highpop effect.

Hubbing all the LRP servers will fix the problem.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #557404

cap servers to 70 because over that it cant handle and the time dilation gets stuck at 50%
wabash
Byond Username: Wabash

Post by wabash » #557456

RaveRadbury wrote:Add all the LRP servers to the hub, re-evaluate when the pandemic is over.
This and capping servers to about 60 as previously suggested would fix most issues.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #557457

60 is too low, 80 is good for lrp
[this space reserved]
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #557458

Removing from the hub is short sighted. The influx of new players is needed to keep the servers alive.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #557510

k
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #557517

Old player retention is great and all but we need more new players or eventually the servers will die. The hub is the easiest way to get new players as the only work really needed on our part is to have admins on so the bad ones get banned. Switching around which server is the hub server or making them all the hub server will do nothing to help. If we hub all the servers, one server will still accrue more players just because people join the one with the most players. If we hub one server, it will get a ton of players and the regulars will bitch about the hubbies anyway. The point is, I doubt you can "fix" this because it's normal.

In terms of the uneven populations on both servers: this is natural. It rotates a lot. Right now terry is the high pop server for EU and event hall is the low pop server for EU. Bagil is the low pop server for the US and Sybil is the high pop server. In a couple months, the roles will be reversed. A lot of people don't play based on server loyalty, but based on where the high player count is. It's a lot funner to play with more people than less (to a certain point). When I started playing four years ago Sybil was the high pop server and we have gone through several cycles of population loss and growth of Sybil since then.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #557522

BeeSting12 wrote:If we hub all the servers, one server will still accrue more players just because people join the one with the most players. If we hub one server, it will get a ton of players and the regulars will bitch about the hubbies anyway. The point is, I doubt you can "fix" this because it's normal.
This is fine because I want bagil to actually have players and dynamic > secret
wabash
Byond Username: Wabash

Post by wabash » #557596

BeeSting12 wrote:Old player retention is great and all but we need more new players or eventually the servers will die. The hub is the easiest way to get new players as the only work really needed on our part is to have admins on so the bad ones get banned. Switching around which server is the hub server or making them all the hub server will do nothing to help. If we hub all the servers, one server will still accrue more players just because people join the one with the most players. If we hub one server, it will get a ton of players and the regulars will bitch about the hubbies anyway. The point is, I doubt you can "fix" this because it's normal.

In terms of the uneven populations on both servers: this is natural. It rotates a lot. Right now terry is the high pop server for EU and event hall is the low pop server for EU. Bagil is the low pop server for the US and Sybil is the high pop server. In a couple months, the roles will be reversed. A lot of people don't play based on server loyalty, but based on where the high player count is. It's a lot funner to play with more people than less (to a certain point). When I started playing four years ago Sybil was the high pop server and we have gone through several cycles of population loss and growth of Sybil since then.

Your statement of one server getting more players is correct, this is bound to happen but if you hub both there is at least a chance of Bagil being high pop, if you hub one and not the other you force high pop onto the server with the Hub. Try capping player counts to 60-70 and hubbing both and you will see Bagil will pull ahead, I mostly play on bagil because it is dynamic.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #557656

if we get hubbies that means it's just easier for me to break into the caps office to speedrun the spare
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)