Early shuttle calls, "AI call it" on Manuel

Ivuchnu
Byond Username: Ivuchnu

Early shuttle calls, "AI call it" on Manuel

Post by Ivuchnu » #558125

Map vote for Donutstation passes. It's relative lowpop with 21 players on manifest. There's complaining on common channel, from you and others. You suggest to call shuttle. Other admin decides to spawn regal rats as part of event that make hostile NPCs, attack players and destroy APCs. You decide that you don't want to play this map AND put up with hostiles on station. You utter "AI, call shuttle when that's possible." on radio. AI does. Shuttle is recalled by CC. You get bwoinked and noted by Vekter. AI calls shuttle anyway on it's own, probably having law 1 on mind or actually hating Multi Z.

This happened during 135501: https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds/135501 https://tgstation13.org/parsed-logs/man ... nd-135501/

Should players get notes for asking AI to call shuttle? It takes "law 2, do not" from any other human and Asimov AI is free to not call shuttle just because one "call it".
Heal w. water/starlight/rads +self-resp
Not happy with game, not happy with code.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Early shuttle calls, "AI call it" on Manuel

Post by BeeSting12 » #558129

yes, you should get a note for kicking over all the toys in the sandbox when the children decided to play something you don't like. next time join one of our other servers, which probably has a different map, or sit out of spessmens for an hour or so. i strongly suspect the complaints on the radio were from a loud and vocal minority whilst the rest of the server was indifferent or enjoyed donut.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #558130

Okay, I can't really be candid in my feedback thread, but I'd be happy to here.

Calling the shuttle because you don't like the station you're on is shitty and childish. Sorry you don't like a perfectly functional map just because it's missing a few things. That's not a reason to end the round early for the ~20 to 30 people playing.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #558131

I blame map rotation system and it's interaction with map preferences. If you could order maps from best to worst there, you'd not get sneaky Donut unless people indeed like it and pick it as favorite map via same system.
Map Vote
Box Station: 1
PubbyStation: 6
Delta Station: 2
Donutstation: 7
Vote Result: Donutstation
Was the vote that set next map to Donut. I missed it, definitely would put my vote for non-donut there.
Map Vote
Box Station: 3
MetaStation: 0
PubbyStation: 4
Delta Station: 6
Donutstation: 0
Vote Result: Delta Station
Was vote during that round.

Are we really talking about majority here? I'll abstain from asking AI to call shuttle, will instead never join Donutstation rounds. I guess that won't hurt silent "majority".
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #558140

You dont have to worry about an early shuttle call, the map breaks apart fast enough on its own.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #558185

We discussed the code solution of removing the Ai's ability to call the shuttle in the first place.

I think AI shuttle calls add very little except for early evacuations.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #558193

Should players get notes for asking AI to call shuttle? It takes "law 2, do not" from any other human and Asimov AI is free to not call shuttle just because one "call it".
"Yeah I know I shouldn't have bought 30 packs of toilet paper, but nobody stopped me... so..."
CPTANT wrote:We discussed the code solution of removing the Ai's ability to call the shuttle in the first place.

Don't code bandaid around people being dumb and abusing something.
What if the AI was the only one that could call a shuttle in a dire situation?
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #558197

CPTANT wrote:We discussed the code solution of removing the Ai's ability to call the shuttle in the first place.

Don't code bandaid around people being dumb and abusing something.
What if the AI was the only one that could call a shuttle in a dire situation?
Then it creates an interesting objective for the crew to call the shuttle and/or deal with that situation.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #558198

Pretty silly to note someone for. The shuttle could have been recalled or, you know, solved IC by the admin if it's an admin event.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #558269

I don't think this is a policy problem, I think this is a Vekter problem.
Also, Donut is a terrible map that shouldn't even be on the rotation.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #558271

You are going to play Donut and you are going to like Donut or else!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #558324

Round time isn't a good measure of whether the shuttle should be called, station integrity and living non-AFK/braindead population are better. Sounds like it wasn't justified based on those metrics in this case.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #559451

You know, once an admin spawns hostile mobs or messes with shit I don't see why it's wrong to call the shuttle and noting someone for calling it due to an admin mini event is bait. on another note yes, calling the shuttle is very dumb if its solely over the map.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #559545

Everything can be handled ICly, even metacomms (just kill the commers!). I don't see how that makes calling the shuttle purely because you don't like the map not an admin issue. If you don't like the map (or any situation currently going on in the server) @server notify in discord.

The correct solution would be to put up a PD removing the maps you don't like rather than asking if you can just flip the table when you don't get a favorable hand.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #559555

Is this a ban appeal? Or did the ban appeal get denied so they made a policy discussion thread.

It's weird to me to see a note over going "ai call the shuttle". Maybe because the admin was doing an event.

I'd advocate for the removal of the note, but once more nothing to be done policy wise.

So I'd advocate for headmins to close this thread as well.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #559589

the note is fine, you shouldn't be rolling.
Ivuchnu

Post by Ivuchnu » #559667

I created this thread because I felt like getting a note was not fair and I wanted admins to be clear on whenever other people will be noted for asking AI to call shuttle.
>Don't have antags enabled during that round
>"you shouldn't be rolling"
Yeah, right. I am not rolling for antag. I utterly despise combination of Donutstation, empty medbay and rats killing people. Why Box is being removed when Donut won removal vote?
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #559678

I think it's worthwhile to stay on topic for this thread - the map vote system or any proposed map removals belong in their own threads (and in the appropriate section).

If the question is "can you get noted for early shuttle calls if you have no good reason" then the answer is yes - among other things the AI can call the shuttle but can't recall it, so there's a lot of momentum that can lead to the shuttle call going through even if other's oppose it, which is to say nothing of others being busy not wrestling for control of the shuttle. These things combine to make it a bad idea to call the shuttle FNR.

That's to say nothing of asking for the shuttle to be called for an OOC consideration ("I don't like donut"). Also being sassy in ahelps when asked not to do something is a pretty good way to turn a no-note warning into a noted warning because we don't think you're going to follow the ruling.
Said in ahelp 'Please do not implement bad vote changes so mememaps win.'
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #559752

Arianya wrote:That's to say nothing of asking for the shuttle to be called for an OOC consideration ("I don't like donut").
My character canonically holds a distaste for D.O.N.U.T. Class Nanotresen Station Hull Models. He regards them as poorly designed and assembled, and suspects that the only reason that they haven't been discontinued is because of certain high-ranking Central Command leaders who hold the model in high regard for nostalgic reasons. He considers the refactoring of the old hulls with the recent Multi-Z Refurbishment Program to be a desperate salvage attempt which is ultimately doomed to failure. To the best of his knowledge, he is not the only employee of Nanotresen who holds these opinions.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #559776

CDranzer wrote:
Arianya wrote:That's to say nothing of asking for the shuttle to be called for an OOC consideration ("I don't like donut").
My character canonically holds a distaste for D.O.N.U.T. Class Nanotresen Station Hull Models. He regards them as poorly designed and assembled, and suspects that the only reason that they haven't been discontinued is because of certain high-ranking Central Command leaders who hold the model in high regard for nostalgic reasons. He considers the refactoring of the old hulls with the recent Multi-Z Refurbishment Program to be a desperate salvage attempt which is ultimately doomed to failure. To the best of his knowledge, he is not the only employee of Nanotresen who holds these opinions.
Your character canonically works for a despotic megacorp which is quite happy sending you to a hellhole deathtrap, regardless of variety of hellhole deathtrap, and cares little for your opinion on such, especially given they own your soul. Given that, your character would canonically be aware that trying to call an expensive escape shuttle because "I wanted to work on a different station" is liable to have your contract, and subsequently your life, terminated.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #559781

Arianya wrote:
CDranzer wrote:
Your character canonically works for a despotic megacorp which is quite happy sending you to a hellhole deathtrap, regardless of variety of hellhole deathtrap, and cares little for your opinion on such, especially given they own your soul. Given that, your character would canonically be aware that trying to call an expensive escape shuttle because "I wanted to work on a different station" is liable to have your contract, and subsequently your life, terminated.
My character is aware of his contractual ties to Nanotresen. However, he also appreciates that the front face of Corporate Efficiency is largely a facade. Nanotresen is a power structure, and all power structures are inherently similar. Nanotresen would like its employees to believe that they are completely disposable and that Central has supreme power. This is a farce. Nanotresen is its employees. Managing a group of disgruntled non-compliant employees is a recipe for economic and administrative disaster. Having slaves is great. Having lots of angry slaves with the means to produce Bluespace Artillery is not so great. Central walk that line every day - the delicate balance of threats and appeasement. If they were even half as competent as they would have people believe, their stations wouldn't crumble to dust in the void with such startling frequency.

Every complaint about D.O.N.U.T. stations is backed by an implicit reminder that sometimes appeasement is cheaper than oppression, and failure to comprehend that has been a very expensive lesson that others have had to learn before.
Spoiler:
This is fun but veering kind of off-topic
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #559786

I said you "should not be rolling", not "should not be rolling for antag".

Rolling meaning forcibly ending the round because of OOC reasons. You might could argue that your not liking the station is IC, but that is going to be a hard sell considering map rotation is an OOC concept and you are acting for the purpose of manipulating the map rotation (in a negative way).