Disable assistant maintenance access

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Disable assistant maintenance access

Post by skoglol » #568637

The majority of the crew jobs do not have general maintenance access, only around their own department. The exceptions are engineering, security, cargo and the captain. Given maintenance isn't supposed to be open to the general public, assistants having free reign in there is out of place. As it currently stands, it is prefereable to antag as an assistant than some non-maintenance access job, and that devalues having an actual job.

I propose a test period where assistant maint access is disabled and see how it works out. This is a config option, so falls to headmins to decide.

Edit:
Headmin election thread on the topic:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 52&t=27356

Some thoughts relating to the above thread and early discussion.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 92#p573292
Last edited by skoglol on Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Re: Disable assistant maintenance access

Post by NecromancerAnne » #568638

This kind of change should probably be a commitment and not one easily assessed by a test. What likely will happen is a period of extremely intense door hacking or wall demolishment, to which will be claimed 'this did nothing but make things worse'.

Or, translated, this is making too apparent how easy it is to gain access to most of the station with the most basic of tools. Even most maint tunnels are a walls away, and girders can be destroyed fairly easily. Which means you pretty much only need a welder to open up passages.

A change like this needs to come with a measure of gritting our teeth and bearing it. If the aim is to push people out of assistant, we might find more success in expanding on oranges idea of the 'intern' for new players and removing assistant entirely.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #568639

Wasn't this exact thing not only proposed, but actually implemented, a few years back(or more than a few)? I can't really recall it affecting much before it was reverted.

On the other hand, the playerbase has changed since that time with most of those who played back then no longer playing, and I guess both rule-wise and code-wise there has been more of a push towards MRP than the previous PVP standard, so I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #568640

This has been done before. I support the test, but for other reasons.

See, I believe two things:
  1. Assistants have gotten unrobust lately
  2. Firedoors really gimp traitors wanting to plasma flood
What happened last time was every assistant became very good at hacking, mainly just permanently disabling door power. Wires codes were being shouted across radio from round start, and by half way in the round every maint door had its power wires snipped and was crowbarred open. One of those rounds I was a traitor atmos, it was glorious. maint doors created a path for plasma and fire to go around the firedoors, and nobody could stop the flames.

So yes. Lets do it! for traitor atmos techs everywhere.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #568641

MrStonedOne wrote:Wires codes were being shouted across radio from round start.
This still happens quite often I'm pretty sure.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #568642

Someone did bring up how other servers without assistant maint access often sees perma open maint doors, so sure we might see that. More stuff for assistants to do, more stuff for bored engineers to fix. Win win.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #568643

Semi related but I think it would be better if assistants could only access the main passageways through maintenance, and not the side rooms (which members of the local department would be able to access). There'd be less places for them to access in maint, which I guess would be a gentler way of limiting their access, as well as cementing low and high traffic areas in maintenance, giving department members access to places less likely to have an assistant pop their head into looking for valids.

I had this idea a while ago and messed with meta to help showcase it, it's a bit dated now but the idea remains the same.
Spoiler:
If this is still access to too many areas, certain parts could be cut, for example sec maint.
[this space reserved]
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #568644

wesoda25 wrote:Semi related but I think it would be better if assistants could only access the main passageways through maintenance, and not the side rooms (which members of the local department would be able to access). There'd be less places for them to access in maint, which I guess would be a gentler way of limiting their access, as well as cementing low and high traffic areas in maintenance, giving department members access to places less likely to have an assistant pop their head into looking for valids.

I had this idea a while ago and messed with meta to help showcase it, it's a bit dated now but the idea remains the same.
Spoiler:
If this is still access to too many areas, certain parts could be cut, for example sec maint.
Many of those spaces function as secondary workspaces, I thought we had them in maint so assistants can do the jobs there, without having to worry about doing them well?
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #568645

I mean if we completely bar assistants from maint they won't be able to access them anyways, will they?
[this space reserved]
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #568649

Bar them from maint then replace all the airlocks in the map with medium security (except for any access airlocks), and current medium security ones with high security. You can still hack but it will take longer, (making it less attractive, unless you REALLY need/want to get in there) it will be more apparent and less of a braindead 3 click operation.

If it depended on me (thank god it doesn't) I would also make it so each department had their own randomized wires. That would make it irrelevant for people to scream the wire colors in comms, and also more of a pain overall to hack (hacking shouldnt be easy)

skoglol

Post by skoglol » #568651

I dont mean this to make maints unavailable to assistants, just make them have to expend some effort getting there which is in line with the rest of the crew. Hacking isnt necessarily a problem we need to solve.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #568652

Fair, but if as it was said, this was tried in the past and resulted in a tendency of the playerbase learning to hack better and faster, then resulting in other problems... well, makes you think.

Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #568653

This man is obsessed with nerfing assistants, first he came for our roundstart insuls, toolboxes and rcds... now he's coming after our maint access!!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #568654

MrStonedOne wrote:This has been done before. I support the test, but for other reasons.

What happened last time was every assistant became very good at hacking, mainly just permanently disabling door power. Wires codes were being shouted across radio from round start, and by half way in the round every maint door had its power wires snipped and was crowbarred open. One of those rounds I was a traitor atmos, it was glorious. maint doors created a path for plasma and fire to go around the firedoors, and nobody could stop the flames.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, weedman, but hacking isn't a mystical art. There are tricks to accomplishing it safely, and they are well distributed, and once the knowledge of door wires are found in a round there is no stopping assistants getting anywhere.

Also, atmos is hardly what impacts door hacking viability but a change like this sure does trap every assistant in the round in the halls when the fires happen. How terrible.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #568656

I really don't like global wires and I know people will seethe at me for it but hacking is too easy and too risk free when you know the wires without experimenting yourself
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #568659

Try and change it and see how the tide seethes ;)

Personally I wouldn't mind non-global wires. Department specific wires would be fine by me, simply to slow people the fuck up.

(And reinforcement to high security doors but again, this is a terrible sacrilege to the point it's bannable if you do it to security round start, according to some)
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Post by tinodrima7020 » #568661

No! Please bro! Don't make me have to spend 5 extra seconds to get into and out of maint. Noooooo! You are literally worse than Hitler!! Aaaaa my precious seconds!!! AaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #568664

NecromancerAnne wrote: Also, atmos is hardly what impacts door hacking viability but a change like this sure does trap every assistant in the round in the halls when the fires happen. How terrible.
Maybe what could be coded in is for emergency access to be triggered in maint airlocks adjacent to the fire emergency?

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #568666

I'm not particularly against this but generally I dislike encouraging people to acquire equipment that's already very desirable (haking tools aka all access)

But assistants or no assistants, I think the issue is that maint access is invaluable since it opens up the map in such a major way and gives whoever has it a huge advantage over who does not. I'd like for maint doors to have safety_mode turned on by default so that traversing maintenance is tedious and slow, but possible even without proper access
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #568675

MrStonedOne wrote:This has been done before. I support the test, but for other reasons.

you are supposed to put plasma in distro not opening a can of plasma and then hack doors around it to spread
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #568683

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:you are supposed to put plasma in distro not opening a can of plasma and then hack doors around it to spread
Excuse you madman, but you forget yourself!

Putting plasma in distro does not spread it around the station as vents only release pressure to handle a drop in pressure from norm, and only just enough to bring that particular tile up to target pressure (ie: not much).

You have to work with the air alarms to solve this, but doing that only spreads it so much given the hallway doors and such. This would be part of the intention of having such doors on a space station, to keep air leaks or contamination from spreading too easily.

unless every maint door was bolted or depowered open.

Now spread can hit both sec hallway and the public sec lobby, all from 1 hacked air alarm in the central hallway.

Also you forgot about fire. The best plasma flood is a cold plasma o2 mix, this crams the gas molecules together so more plasma and o2 are released in the same tick for any given vent. So, once you plasma the station, how do you light it all on fire? firedoors and closed airlocks will prevent this to a fair degree, that is after all what they do.

Unless every maint door is stuck open.....

Seeing a trend here?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #568685

This is the most active I've seen you in 4 years
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #568699

Armhulen wrote:I really don't like global wires and I know people will seethe at me for it but hacking is too easy and too risk free when you know the wires without experimenting yourself
Do it
[this space reserved]
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #568713

If you do this then also give all assistants guns, I have no good reason for it but I think it would be funny
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #568727

Agux909 wrote:Bar them from maint then replace all the airlocks in the map with medium security (except for any access airlocks), and current medium security ones with high security. You can still hack but it will take longer, (making it less attractive, unless you REALLY need/want to get in there) it will be more apparent and less of a braindead 3 click operation.

If it depended on me (thank god it doesn't) I would also make it so each department had their own randomized wires. That would make it irrelevant for people to scream the wire colors in comms, and also more of a pain overall to hack (hacking shouldnt be easy)
two step alternative: weld the wall next to the airlock and wrench the girder out of the way
reinforce that airlock all you want, engie wagie
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #568728

what if every type of door had their own wires but some were easier than others

make maintenance easy to break into but give captains quarters like 5 shock wires
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #568736

Mickyan wrote:I'm not particularly against this but generally I dislike encouraging people to acquire equipment that's already very desirable (haking tools aka all access)

But assistants or no assistants, I think the issue is that maint access is invaluable since it opens up the map in such a major way and gives whoever has it a huge advantage over who does not. I'd like for maint doors to have safety_mode turned on by default so that traversing maintenance is tedious and slow, but possible even without proper access
This wouldn't be an issue if every Sec was a chad like me and aprehended any and all hacking and powergaming gear from people that shouldn't have em

I approve of this suggestion, make the greyshits work harder for their... lack of pay
also randomized sector wires pls, hacking is the most braindead process
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #568757

I mean, from an ingame and realistic point of view. Unless it is high security airlocks(armory, vault, captain's office...but even then). Well...randomized wires in airlocks would make absolutely no sense. Doesn't matter whether each departments doors has different wires to hack in the best case, or every doors wire is randomized in the worst case. I can imagine the person implementing such a design being fired, and then fired out of an airlock for, frankly, being an idiot.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #568779

firecage wrote:I mean, from an ingame and realistic point of view. Unless it is high security airlocks(armory, vault, captain's office...but even then). Well...randomized wires in airlocks would make absolutely no sense. Doesn't matter whether each departments doors has different wires to hack in the best case, or every doors wire is randomized in the worst case. I can imagine the person implementing such a design being fired, and then fired out of an airlock for, frankly, being an idiot.
If you're going by realism the idea of automated futuristic security doors with built in lockdown bolts having a handy little panel on the outside you can unscrew to snip two wires with pocket snips and open the doors makes even less sense
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
TheMidnghtRose
Byond Username: TheMidnightRose

Post by TheMidnghtRose » #568780

I would like to point out. We actually have a button for this.
Emerald Gleaner -/Roboticist/Replica AI Series
Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #568781

Resuming, I think the most appropiate way IF one wants to apply this change is:

1 Forbid assistant all maint access. Add a trigger for emergency access that goes off alongside automatic firelocks (not manual) for airlocks adjacent to the fire emergency.
2 Replace all non-public airlocks with medium security ones, replace all medium security to high security ones.
3 Non-global wires. Different wires for each department. Makes no sense for an assistant to hack the public bathroom airlock and immediately gain the knowledge to hack the armory airlock, for example.

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #568782

MrStonedOne wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:you are supposed to put plasma in distro not opening a can of plasma and then hack doors around it to spread

Putting plasma in distro does not spread it around the station as vents only release pressure to handle a drop in pressure from norm, and only just enough to bring that particular tile up to target pressure (ie: not much).

You have to work with the air alarms to solve this, but doing that only spreads it so much given the hallway doors and such. This would be part of the intention of having such doors on a space station, to keep air leaks or contamination from spreading too easily.

Now spread can hit both sec hallway and the public sec lobby, all from 1 hacked air alarm in the central hallway.

Also you forgot about fire. The best plasma flood is a cold plasma o2 mix, this crams the gas molecules together so more plasma and o2 are released in the same tick for any given vent. So, once you plasma the station, how do you light it all on fire? firedoors and closed airlocks will prevent this to a fair degree, that is after all what they do.

Seeing a trend here?
bruh im pretty sure you can emag fire alarms to stop them triggering properly.

maybe it got taken out but I used to run around doing that before my plasmafloods
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #568785

Assistants don't need maint because assistants don't actually do anything that requires it.
This used to be a toggle way back when and probably still is, and was even used briefly. I often pushed for it but guess what?
Nobody wants to fight for it or listen to the reeing that resulted from the shithead greybacks that lose it, so it was turned off.
Why? Because the greybacks cause more problems without it.

So they just fucking gave it back because no effort is put into stopping/dealing with the assistants, whether in-game or through code, because the griefing little twats are such an ingrained part of tg that nothing is done about it.

I have one solution: they lose assmaint but also spawn in maintenance. Both parties win.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #568793

MrStonedOne wrote:

Seeing a trend here?
It's funny that you still don't know the trick to truly apocalyptic plasma fires.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569260

i remain as one of the few assistants who are decently robust but i like my maint access
this changes nothing to me
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #569268

How many times has this been tried? It doesn't work. Treating certain roles like enemies to be gimped or purged is both childish and amateurish and shows a lack of understanding of the game, its culture and its players. Working against the players to force your dictatorial views on the game is not a good way to design.

Give everyone maintenance but disincentivise going in there through other means (e.g. PvE danger) if it's such an issue.
Armhulen wrote:I really don't like global wires and I know people will seethe at me for it but hacking is too easy and too risk free when you know the wires without experimenting yourself
If every airlock had different wiring hacking would be agony. Maybe it could work if only maintenance doors had unique wiring per door and if the rest of the airlocks had unique wiring on a department basis (with different wires for heads of staff offices and other high security areas). To mitigate the difficulty keeping track of them mentally (writing them down is shit) the UI could rename the wires when you discover them. This would help engineers fixing door wires as well.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569274

Having experienced different wires for different doors, I can tell you that the result was that hacking has to be learned per set of doors and that slowed things massively. You couldn't reasonably hack into more public areas of the station, since sec was given a pretty generous leeway on that due to your slower hacking speed.

If you wanna make it easier to spot tiders, it's not a bad move but it will slow up antags hard as well. Not necessarily a bad thing.
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569276

cacogen wrote:How many times has this been tried? It doesn't work. Treating certain roles like enemies to be gimped or purged is both childish and amateurish and shows a lack of understanding of the game, its culture and its players. Working against the players to force your dictatorial views on the game is not a good way to design.

Give everyone maintenance but disincentivise going in there through other means (e.g. PvE danger) if it's such an issue.
If every airlock had different wiring hacking would be agony. Maybe it could work if only maintenance doors had unique wiring per door and if the rest of the airlocks had unique wiring on a department basis (with different wires for heads of staff offices and other high security areas). To mitigate the difficulty keeping track of them mentally (writing them down is shit) the UI could rename the wires when you discover them. This would help engineers fixing door wires as well.
say that to the coders
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #569282

I mean that whether you're an admin, coder or just suggesting ideas on the forum.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #569300

The solution is adding a ghost role ratpeople that can valid anyone in maint
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #569305

skoglol wrote:Someone did bring up how other servers without assistant maint access often sees perma open maint doors, so sure we might see that. More stuff for assistants to do, more stuff for bored engineers to fix. Win win.
yes because its SO FUN to fix doors as engineer.
i guarantee you that on majority of rounds, the engineers will just give up trying to fix doors because every single door will be fucking broken. remember old emags? doors broken by emag will just say broken forever, same with disable power + bolt.
MrStonedOne wrote:

Seeing a trend here?
whats passive vents
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #569315

if we are doing this also remove atmos maint access, they don't need it to fix air around the station. if they need access to incinerator let them hack into it or make an entrance with the tools they get for free from engineering lobby.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #569320

Give maintenance access to everybody and turn maintenance into PvP zone like Wilderness in Runescape. :P

Assistants don't need maintenance access. Breaking and entry is a 2 minute sentence, which allows sec to search those assistants who are caught in the maintenance.
saprasam

Post by saprasam » #569370

Istoprocent1 wrote:Give maintenance access to everybody and turn maintenance into PvP zone like Wilderness in Runescape. :P

Assistants don't need maintenance access. Breaking and entry is a 2 minute sentence, which allows sec to search those assistants who are caught in the maintenance.
you chose this take just because you like arresting assistants
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #569373

Undermaint when. I wanna fight a Maint Ropers.
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569377

TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #569454

cacogen wrote:Working against the players to force your dictatorial views on the game is not a good way to design.
hard to agree considering this is how it's always been done
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #569680

Why are we specifically targeting assistants for nerfs and anti-QoL "improvements", again? Like, I know the meme is haha assistant robust despite starting with nothing, but isn't the CLOWN the one who's supposed to be specifically bullied by game mechanics all of the time (see: clumsy trait, shoes with slowdown)? Seriously, what is everyone's problem with assistants?

IMO, this change would make antag maint bases slightly harder/a bit more annoying to make (you'd have to gank an engineer or the HoP or something to grab proper maint access (or just buy an agent ID)), and also make maint feel a lot less... lively. Also, if assistants aren't the ones who're supposed to be prowling maint (grabbing maint loot, spotting antags and antag bases for sec, etc.)... who IS?

Anyway, here's Wonderwall a shitty meme I made about this in 5 minutes (be warned, it's cringe): https://tgstation13.download/dip/discordimageproxy.php/attachments/ ... nknown.png
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #569684

ATHATH wrote:Why are we specifically targeting assistants for nerfs and anti-QoL "improvements", again? Seriously, what is everyone's problem with assistants?
they aren’t wagies on the wagie cagie station
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #569827

Istoprocent1 wrote:Assistants don't need maintenance access. Breaking and entry is a 2 minute sentence, which allows sec to search those assistants who are caught in the maintenance.
if you arrest for B&E into an area without that area's workers asking you to do so, you are shitsec and an arrestbot.