Tweak MRP movespeed

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Tweak MRP movespeed

Post by RaveRadbury » #577285

Slow MRP movespeed down. Do it a little bit, for a weekend or two. Maybe we try a couple of different movespeeds. You just edit one number in the config.

This will engender more RP as people are actually in each other's presence for longer, and have more time to act, react, take things in.

Let's do 75% to start, or even 50%. We intuitively understand logarithmic things like halving a lot more easily than we do any other rate of increase/decrease.
RaveRadbury but later on wrote:Since the original post I've found that yeah 25% to 50% was likely too extreme and finer tweaking is necessary. I think that the information that MSO has provided here is sufficient to satisfy my interest at this time. The headmins have also indicated that they aren't interested in this on policy bus, so this definitely will not be realized any time soon and likely shouldn't in the way that the original post specified.

Having said all that, a lot of great discussion has been coming out of this and I'd prefer to see this thread lock out of eventual disuse as discourse fades rather than a decisive vote and lock from the headmins.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Tweak MRP movespeed

Post by Cobby » #577286

Be warned some items do not scale with movement speed and things that are position-relevant like boss attacks / gunplay / vehicles may be negatively impacted by a non-standard movespeed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
ambrosia
Byond Username: Ikrarkjr

Post by ambrosia » #577287

50%? Nooo way.
75%? Could try it.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #577291

If your goal is to keep people in each other's presence for longer, the solution isn't movespeed. If somebody wants to interact with someone nearby, they will. If they don't, then they won't.

The real question is one of map size. Imagine a football field with 5 people on it. Now, imagine a living-room with 5 people in it. Assuming more or less equal population distribution, in which situation are people more likely to interact with each other while they go about their business?

SS13 has a lot of objects, machines, and structures that take up a lot of space. Consequently, a lot of empty space has been set aside as access routes to these things (i.e. wide hallways, bare tiles etc). While eliminating this empty space is impossible (access restrictions and traffic concerns preclude the elimination of all hallways), a serious effort to compact rooms and bring them closer together should have the effect you want, without breaking action-oriented gameplay elements.
► Show Spoiler
Slum Lord
Byond Username: InquisitorJohn

Post by Slum Lord » #577295

I agree with Farquaar. Turning down global movespeed isn't the solution to make people more prone to RP. Between large map sizes not helping people encounter one another (while also making them even more of a hassle to traverse) and many jobs being affected by slower speeds (paramedics, officers, miners), it doesn't seem the way to go.

For one, there is no clear defined standard of what /tg/station takes for MRP. Do you call MRP vaguely speaking in-character for your profession and avoiding OOC metaspeak? Do you call MRP writing full-fledged characters while suspending disbelief for the wackier things that happen in SS13? Until it's defined, it's going to be hard to encourage RP.

Secondly, proper RP doesn't take nearly as often due to the server culture. Manuel plays out like a much calmer Bagil, the problem being that it still feels like Bagil. Any moment a traitor can just run up to you, whip out a .357 and empty the cylinder into you. Or someone can walk around the hallways, wetting floor and throwing soap in front of people. It's all things that happen often in SS13, but they aren't usually conductive to RP. It's not a problem of making this rule or tweaking this mechanic, it's a matter of what kind of RP the server is trying to aim for.

All that being said, I do think movespeed needs a tweak. Not a speed tweak. Just a rework in general. I'm all for a stamina system where walking at a reasonable, not annoying speed is the default. You could sprint at fast speeds, maybe even add a jog for an in-between speed that doesn't drain your stamina bar nearly as fast. It would need a fair amount of balancing, considering the dynamic run/walk already has, but I feel that can be ironed out with some thought on it's own thread. A stamina system would help far more in encountering others and sticking around them for longer by discourging just blazing at full speed all around the place if it's going to negatively impact you.

Otherwise, movespeed is fine as is.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #577296

Bad idea.
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #577298

i feel like this would be really uncomfy for people who enjoy playing on both mrp and lrp

assuming those people exist
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #577299

...The real question is one of map size. Imagine a football field with 5 people on it. Now, imagine a living-room with 5 people in it...
...Any moment a traitor can just run up to you, whip out a .357 and empty the cylinder into you. Or someone can walk around the hallways, wetting floor and throwing soap in front of people....
Big points in reality.

While slower move-speed can work, its hard when the mechanical speed of things is fast. An overall game slowdown is a bit different than a move-speed slowdown. As others said tacking on expansive maps and population being in its 'lower half' to that and it can get pretty brutal.

I can totally understand trying to say something to someone that runs in, grabs something, then leaves before you even finish typing though.
...there is no clear defined standard of what /tg/station takes for MRP...
MRP is so expansive without a solid definition that most likely everyone has a different understanding of it, and where the lines get drawn.
...stamina system...
I get the feeling this might just not be compatible across the board.
Hugs
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #577300

this is actually stupid
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #577306

Movespeed isn't something necessarily quickly tweaked, simply It requires a larger re work for huge portions of the game to be enjoyable for everyone.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #577309

It might cause issues but i think that improving the typing speed to movement speed ratio will indeed help foster interactions whenever you want to catch the attention of someone moving. It's probably one of the reasons why security is heavily incentivized to stun someone to search them, for example, since by the time they finish writing "You in the gasmask, stop" the target is out of earshot.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #577331

Cobby wrote:Be warned some items do not scale with movement speed and things that are position-relevant like boss attacks / gunplay / vehicles may be negatively impacted by a non-standard movespeed.
skoglol wrote:Bad idea.
It's at this point i should tell you guys that the server run speed is already modified from the repo. its 1.0 on the repo but 1.5 on the server (higher means slower).

Didn't seem to break anything.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #577332

Also, for the record, any manuelmins who wants to try this for a round can just varedit the config controller.

mc tab -> config controller -> entries list -> run_delay -> config_entry_value -> (e).

higher means slower, as its the time (in 1/10 of a second) between moves. 2 would be a good starting point.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #577335

MrStonedOne wrote: It's at this point i should tell you guys that the server run speed is already modified from the repo. its 1.0 on the repo but 1.5 on the server (higher means slower).
I know you're not saying it here but I wanna be clear, the repo config has been updated to match the servers so we can test to match them better.
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/51934
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #577345

MrStonedOne wrote:
Cobby wrote:Be warned some items do not scale with movement speed and things that are position-relevant like boss attacks / gunplay / vehicles may be negatively impacted by a non-standard movespeed.
skoglol wrote:Bad idea.
It's at this point i should tell you guys that the server run speed is already modified from the repo. its 1.0 on the repo but 1.5 on the server (higher means slower).

What Potato said, and repo side we have already been taking server configed movespeed into consideration for changes for quite a while before that was changed. Being someone who has actually played tg at both speeds, while the drop from 1 to 1.5 was acceptable and works in practice, it changed a lot of gameplay elements. Lets go with an easy example, megafauna. Hierophant attacks are just barely dodgeable at 1.5, turning it down any further makes its attacks devastating and likely means the fight is near impossible. Have you tried colossus at 1.5? A very dodge heavy fight, you'll struggle to dodge at 1.5. I cant imagine it being possible at less speed.

But cobby already said this, so I didnt think I would have to expand on it.

That said, I can also have opinions that are not code based despite my green forum name. I think attacking movespeed to magically create more RP is a bad idea. If anything, it will make moving around the station less desirable.
MrStonedOne
Host

Post by MrStonedOne » #577349

The other option would be to make something like a config to make run auto-convert to walk if you stop moving for more than like, 15 seconds, and set a faster walk delay, like 2.5 instead of 4.
Rohesie
Byond Username: Rohesie

Post by Rohesie » #577350

The RP servers have lower movespeed, and it's no coincidence. It does help with promoting interactions. The change from 1 to 1.5 helped a lot already.
It's understandable that the LRP servers will want to keep it, but for the MRP one 2 would be pretty good.

If megafauna is hard then it can be tweaked as well. None of the issues that may arise with slowing down Manuel is unsolvable.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #577351

I think a better solution to the problem of "people run away before I get the chance to talk" would be to finally just add that stupid indicator speech bubble that appears when you're typing
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #577352

I hate that stupid bubble. I often start typing something, decide its retarded, and decide not to talk. Now Ive got some poor fucker waiting around for what Im gonna say :oops:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #577354

skoglol wrote:I hate that stupid bubble. I often start typing something, decide its retarded, and decide not to talk. Now Ive got some poor fucker waiting around for what Im gonna say :oops:
sounds like a you problem, just be confident
Spoiler:
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #577356

PKPenguin321 wrote:I think a better solution to the problem of "people run away before I get the chance to talk" would be to finally just add that stupid indicator speech bubble that appears when you're typing
I'd like to see this happen.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #577372

The BayStation slippery slope
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #577375

I want this for a different reason. I already think it too easy to outrun bullets.
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #577376

PKPenguin321 wrote:I think a better solution to the problem of "people run away before I get the chance to talk" would be to finally just add that stupid indicator speech bubble that appears when you're typing
the bubble is fucking stupid you can avoid it by using the bottom bar for saying and it activates when you activate chat to do emotes man fuck speech bubble
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #577379

skoglol wrote:Lets go with an easy example, megafauna.
You're not wrong but I weep every time someone brings up the miners' private playground as a reason not to change something that could benefit the entire server
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577381

Maybe you should look at adding more in-game incentives for people to talk to each other instead of assuming slowing players down even more will solve the problem? But that would be more difficult and time-consuming. We have PDAs and the radio to get people's attention if they leave the screen before you can finish typing something.
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #577387

Fikou wrote:
the bubble is fucking stupid you can avoid it by using the bottom bar for saying and it activates when you activate chat to do emotes man fuck speech bubble
With the new tgui chat we could combine the command bar, say, and ooc into one line and it'd work pretty nicely
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #577388

Fikou wrote:
ok well if you dont want people to run away while youre talking then you should just not do that
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #577394

isn't this a player problem
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #577395

tweaking movespeed on manuel to encourage widespread RP seems kind of redundant

arent the people who want to RP already on manuel?

RP is encouraged by default, shouldnt have to adjust the game too much to do that.

the primary thing this would change is SEC interaction with the crew. talking to people and telling them to put their hands up etc is more feasible if they arent gonna just bolt off screen immediately. you still pretty much have to disabler people with warrants first and talk later.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #577400

Armhulen wrote:With the new tgui chat we could combine the command bar, say, and ooc into one line and it'd work pretty nicely
this was possible pre-goonchat, with goonchat, and with tgui-chat, and in fact is so possible that it's already true and always has been. perhaps you meant some other related concept instead?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577409

SpaceManiac wrote:
Armhulen wrote:With the new tgui chat we could combine the command bar, say, and ooc into one line and it'd work pretty nicely
this was possible pre-goonchat, with goonchat, and with tgui-chat, and in fact is so possible that it's already true and always has been. perhaps you meant some other related concept instead?
sorry yeah I was talking about this demo style put out:

https://tgstation13.download/dip/discordimageproxy.php/attachments/ ... utput.webm
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #577416

> the primary thing this would change is SEC interaction with the crew. talking to people and telling them to put their hands up etc is more feasible if they arent gonna just bolt off screen immediately. you still pretty much have to disabler people with warrants first and talk later.

bro! there is a reason why sec hailers exist
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #577434

Armhulen wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:

https://tgstation13.download/dip/discordimageproxy.php/attachments/ ... utput.webm
Oh sure, just dump even more critical functionality into the unreliable, slow, and rickety-ass chat window that I often have to reconnect three times a round to make it work and only exists to try and scrape performance margins. That'll be great
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #577441

We really do need stability first agreed
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #577514

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:

Oh sure, just dump even more critical functionality into the unreliable, slow, and rickety-ass chat window that I often have to reconnect three times a round to make it work and only exists to try and scrape performance margins. That'll be great
it works fine if you're not on windows 7 or windows 8 you fucking boomer cunt lmao, the only thing that's unreliable and slow here is your ability to push the update button in between bouts of slamming donuts into that gaping maw you call a mouth.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #577553

oranges wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:

it works fine if you're not on windows 7 or windows 8 you fucking boomer cunt lmao, the only thing that's unreliable and slow here is your ability to push the update button in between bouts of slamming donuts into that gaping maw you call a mouth.
Imagine the look on his fat fuckin hobbit face when he realises that I'm on Win 10 and have been since ages ago. Maybe he'll sod off back to middle earth where he can complain about elves and give the riders of rohan a design document for a horse revamp before yet another earthquake/volcano knocks his tin hut over
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577597

We keep telling him to destroy the ring but he just won't for some reason
NSFW:

confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #577629

together we can turn lowrp into slowrp
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #577640

Just as a FYI we had this same exact argument years ago that we needed to slow movement speed down for the same exact reason (which is how I know things get impacted by movement speed changes).

The game was even faster than it is now and it probably needed to go down for gameplay reasons anyways, but I don't think anyone EVER praised the slowdown for the RP gained aspect. In fact, the game continued to go into less and less RP even with the slowdown, so much that there was enough people in the community that we could make a server dedicated to returning to more medium RP standards and it stay populated.

I would be more for this idea if there was some quantifiable way that it did what it was meant to do like make it take X amount of time to get from arrivals shuttle to default escape shuttle on meta, but I don't know how to track "people RP more" and correlate that to a movement speed change in the same way that I can see medical changes and the length it takes for a patient to get out of medbay for instance.

Asking for a 25% or 50% slowdown is huge and I would highly recommend running those kinds of values over multiple rounds (and play in those rounds yourself) before you come to the conclusion that such a steep slowdown is necessary to facilitate more RP.

Secondary issue is on the code end which i mentioned before, do be warned there will probably be a cringe transition period where people will need to PR config-based scaling to previously set hardvalues.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #577645

Cobby wrote:Just as a FYI we had this same exact argument years ago that we needed to slow movement speed down for the same exact reason (which is how I know things get impacted by movement speed changes).

The game was even faster than it is now and it probably needed to go down for gameplay reasons anyways, but I don't think anyone EVER praised the slowdown for the RP gained aspect. In fact, the game continued to go into less and less RP even with the slowdown, so much that there was enough people in the community that we could make a server dedicated to returning to more medium RP standards and it stay populated.

I would be more for this idea if there was some quantifiable way that it did what it was meant to do like make it take X amount of time to get from arrivals shuttle to default escape shuttle on meta, but I don't know how to track "people RP more" and correlate that to a movement speed change in the same way that I can see medical changes and the length it takes for a patient to get out of medbay for instance.

Asking for a 25% or 50% slowdown is huge and I would highly recommend running those kinds of values over multiple rounds (and play in those rounds yourself) before you come to the conclusion that such a steep slowdown is necessary to facilitate more RP.

Secondary issue is on the code end which i mentioned before, do be warned there will probably be a cringe transition period where people will need to PR config-based scaling to previously set hardvalues.
Since the original post I've found that yeah 25% to 50% was likely too extreme and finer tweaking is necessary. I think that the information that MSO has provided here is sufficient to satisfy my interest at this time. The headmins have also indicated that they aren't interested in this on policy bus, so this definitely will not be realized any time soon and likely shouldn't in the way that the original post specified.

Having said all that, a lot of great discussion has been coming out of this and I'd prefer to see this thread lock out of eventual disuse as discourse fades rather than a decisive vote and lock from the headmins.

As for config-based scaling to previously set hardvalues, isn't that something that needs to be done if we are going to claim that we do support speed configs? I hope that we can address this oversight, and if anyone had examples of such hardvalues I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

Thanks for all the thinking and concern you've put towards this issue Cobby, I really appreciate it.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #577646

> isn't that something that needs to be done if we are going to claim that we do support speed configs? I hope that we can address this oversight, and if anyone had examples of such hardvalues I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

The game isnt broken as MSO stated so we can still claim such, but definitely room for improvement :^)
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #577685

This seems like a non-issue where we're making two unsubstantiated claims: that there's a lack of roleplay and that movement speed is the cause.
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #577994

As Rave wishes I will step in and lock the thread for now.