Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Ask and discuss policy about game conduct and rules.

Moderators: In-Game Game Master, In-Game Head Admins

Forum rules
Read these board rules before posting or you'll get reprimanded.
Threads without replies for 30 days will be automatically locked.
User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Qustinnus » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:44 am #579133

this is a bit of a luxury thing more than anything, but I'd like to discuss the idea of having permanent coder/debugger roles on the server for contributors that tend to need a lot of testmerges or often work on fixing runtimes.

lately I've had to bother admins a lot to give me perms so I can oversee testmerges such as combat mode and the audio PR for example, and in those cases a permanent role would be useful. Ofcourse the role would be held at a standard of "dont do anything but debugging / testing" and should only be given to people who are trusted.

Regarding the perms this role should get, it would be whatever the I think debugger role has right now, and optionally maybe spawn item / ahelp replying. Although I can imagine those last two are more problematic as we generally only need coders replying to ahelp if theyre in a TM or if someone is having code related issues. And the spawn object button is mostly for testing things on live server. But again that'd be up to the people who have this role to be trusted enough to not be 10 year olds who cant be trusted with buttons.

I'd like to see what everyone's opinion is on this idea, if it's viable at all or not, and whether or not ahelp/spawning capabilities should be included.



User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Armhulen » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:25 pm #579181

Codewise admin perms still need to get reworked a lot

Policy wise i'd rather just let any old admin of any rank give debugger and make debugger JUST VV and debug (see above)
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
iamgoofball
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:50 pm
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby iamgoofball » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:57 pm #579204

Back when I was actively developing this would of been a godsend.

Hell, if we could jury rig the testmerge system to automatically pass out debugger when your PR is testmerged, that'd work even better.

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Armhulen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:30 am #579240

iamgoofball wrote:Back when I was actively developing this would of been a godsend.

Hell, if we could jury rig the testmerge system to automatically pass out debugger when your PR is testmerged, that'd work even better.

Now this is a real idea but again some coders really shouldn't have any level of admin powers (not naming names here) How are you gonna filter out the cream from the crop
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
pugie
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:41 pm
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby pugie » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 am #579249

Give this proposed role to fikou to trial it out for a few months
john sex

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Qustinnus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 am #579250

Armhulen wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Back when I was actively developing this would of been a godsend.

Hell, if we could jury rig the testmerge system to automatically pass out debugger when your PR is testmerged, that'd work even better.

Now this is a real idea but again some coders really shouldn't have any level of admin powers (not naming names here) How are you gonna filter out the cream from the crop

isn't this the exact same issue you have with actual admins?

Armhulen wrote:Codewise admin perms still need to get reworked a lot

Policy wise i'd rather just let any old admin of any rank give debugger and make debugger JUST VV and debug (see above)


This could work too, but there's often no admins on when I TM something.

User avatar
skoglol
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 am
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby skoglol » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:16 am #579251

With current debugger perms, hard no.

Even just giving VV to someone carries the risk of misuse, and we already operate under having someone babysit whoever gets debugger. Only rare cases of testmerges even require debugger perms be handed out.

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Qustinnus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:48 am #579255

I've had to monitor most of my testmerges atleast for the initial period. Ofcourse someone with VV can misuse it, which is why anyone would be held at even higher standards than an admin in terms of what they use their tools for.

We shouldn't trust every coder with VV just like we shouldn't trust every player with being admin. I personally don't see the issue but then I'd atleast like something that smooths out the god awful process of having to @ a headmin because the round restarted and I lost my debugging role.

User avatar
Indie-ana Jones
 
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 pm
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Indie-ana Jones » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:04 pm #579277

I could do with just being able to trigger event spawns when I'm there to observe changes in action, but I could see how that'd be abuseable.

User avatar
Armhulen
In-Game Game Master
 
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Armhulen » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:36 pm #579279

Qustinnus wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:Back when I was actively developing this would of been a godsend.

Hell, if we could jury rig the testmerge system to automatically pass out debugger when your PR is testmerged, that'd work even better.

Now this is a real idea but again some coders really shouldn't have any level of admin powers (not naming names here) How are you gonna filter out the cream from the crop

isn't this the exact same issue you have with actual admins?

Go ahead, fill it out
Image

But obviously if you think admins can't handle VV then why should we trust coders, It's a lot easier to make a pr that needs testmerging than to become an admin and we've already seen non admins getting admin powers and then messing up rounds and ruining the experience for normal players. You still need to have a genuinely good answer to the question "How do we know we're giving server crashing round ruining abilities to the right people instead of the wrong people"
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

User avatar
oranges
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm
Location: #CHATSHITGETBANGED
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby oranges » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:41 pm #579283

local man makes pathetic thread to beg for some semblance of authority on tg servers

User avatar
Qustinnus
TGMC Maintainer
 
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:30 am
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Re: Permanent coder/debugger role for trusted contributors

Postby Qustinnus » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:51 pm #579285

clearly not happening and all i've had so far is people @ing me about how bad this thread is.


Return to Policy Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dragomagol