[Manuel] 40 year old boomer admins: quit discriminating against modern lingo

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

[Manuel] 40 year old boomer admins: quit discriminating against modern lingo

Post by iamgoofball » #579537

example of a based monster energy sipping boomer admin admitting to discriminating against modern lingo from their lawnmower at 6 in the morning while their kid tries to sleep cuz they stayed up late last night shitposting on the internet:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 10#p579519

People say based and shit IRL all the time. Hell, people say IRL all the time.

We live in 2020. Anyone in the 18-25 bracket right now is going to be using internet lingo in day to day conversations. Last time I was in a customer service job within the last few years, I heard dumb college kids and dumb high school kids all the time saying shit like "lol" and "cringe" and "based" and "irl" and "omg" and shit. These are words you can pronounce nowadays. People do unironically say these things. It hurts, I know, but they do. The server's age requirement is 18, not 40, so admins should stop discriminating against it.

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: [Manuel] 40 year old boomer admins: quit discriminating against modern lingo

Post by PKPenguin321 » #579538

what is this actually proposing? word filter removal?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User

Re: [Manuel] 40 year old boomer admins: quit discriminating against modern lingo

Post by iamgoofball » #579539

PKPenguin321 wrote:what is this actually proposing? word filter removal?
i would like for the 40 year old boomer admins to not filter and/or ban people for saying shit that perfectly normal American youth and college kids say all the time
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #579540

This isn't a manuel-specific rule, by the way. This has been policy across /tg/ for some time.
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #579541

To the point: anyone who spent time on the events hall in the immediate aftermath of the ssethtide can tell you that a chatlog heavily littered with netspeak makes for a pretty crummy experience.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #579545

capn_monkeypaw wrote:To the point: anyone who spent time on the events hall in the immediate aftermath of the ssethtide can tell you that a chatlog heavily littered with netspeak makes for a pretty crummy experience.
except it's not netspeak anymore, boomer

welcome to 2020

we have people on the server who are 20 years old and spent their lives growing up with the internet, social media, and internet lingo to the point of it just seeping into their normal irl linguistics

aka the same way any other english trends get adopted

doxxing is internet lingo yet people say and discuss doxxing all the time irl

shitposting is internet lingo yet people say and discuss shitposting all the time irl

lol, omg, wtf, are all things I personally have witnessed over the last few years be said multiple times commonly by The Youth :tm:

languages evolve, and english is evolving to take in common discourse words and concepts we've been using on our social platforms for decades now. longer than some tg players have been alive
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #579546

If you say based irl to me I will make sure to never talk to you again.
[this space reserved]
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #579547

wesoda25 wrote:If you say based irl to me I will make sure to never talk to you again.
same, but that doesn't discredit the fact people actually do say it, especially dumb kids in the 18-25 bracket
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #579548

Its hard to argue with this when I have seen people who are legally allowed to vote unironically use the word "poggers"
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Post by TWATICUS » #579551

'based' isnt netspeak
ImageImageImage
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master

Post by TWATICUS » #579552

neither is 'cringe' wtf is this bait why are you lumping real words along with 'lol' and 'idk'
ImageImageImage
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #579553

TWATICUS wrote:neither is 'cringe' wtf is this bait why are you lumping real words along with 'lol' and 'idk'
because that literal admin post i linked in the OP claims based is netspeak, pls read the OP
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master

Post by TWATICUS » #579555

And as I do keep an eye on netspeak, OOCish stuff, and solid LRPesque dialogue...
giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they meant LRPesque dialogue and not netspeak when referring to 'based'
ImageImageImage
MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #579556

We live in 2020. Anyone in the 18-25 bracket right now is going to be using internet lingo in day to day conversations. Last time I was in a customer service job within the last few years, I heard dumb college kids and dumb high school kids all the time saying shit like "lol" and "cringe" and "based" and "irl" and "omg" and shit. These are words you can pronounce nowadays. People do unironically say these things. It hurts, I know, but they do. The server's age requirement is 18, not 40, so admins should stop discriminating against it.
The game takes place in a very distant future, I believe.
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #579559

MortoSasye wrote:
you have activated my TRAP CARD

1. people call back to old shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME right now, we still have morons who call back to the 50s as a golden age or some shit when it is 70 years ago at this point
2. our lingustics, art direction, and other assorted shit are all 20XX tech and tech inspired and design inspired.
3. half our station players nowadays are references to 20XX anime catgirls, and most these people have literally no RP to their character other than "im a cuddly bubbly catgirl owo"
4. if you want to make a case that linguistics have evolved then we wouldn't even be speaking English! in fact, we don't, galactic common is some incredibly fucked up combo of random parts of romanizied japanese iirc codeside

this means that we're viewing the language translated into our 2020s English, NOT as the 2550s Galactic Common.

therefore, we can logically conclude that these concepts from the 2550s Galactic Common would be translated to their 2020s English counterparts! The very concept of cool in 2550s Galactic Common may best translate to "based" in 2020s English!
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #579561

TWATICUS wrote:
And as I do keep an eye on netspeak, OOCish stuff, and solid LRPesque dialogue...
giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming they meant LRPesque dialogue and not netspeak when referring to 'based'

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #579567

MortoSasye wrote:
Where people would instead say "fucking zorched" and "mutepenned and cryostinged". We should start encouraging 2060 terminology
Dreathtil
Byond Username: Dreathtil

Post by Dreathtil » #579568

I guess I should personally clarify where I stand seeing as my own appeal is being used here but like Twaticus said, I consider based to be on the side of simply more LRPesque dialog then netspeak. And also as I stated, I have just have some things highlighted to be looked out for.

But I do lump a decent chunk of them together given the evolution of what defines netspeak, and how the internet does impact this thing called the real world. At least to my understanding.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... h/netspeak
-the words, abbreviations, etc. that people use when communicating on the internet

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... m=netspeak
-Speaking in ways commonly used to converse in text on the internet.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/netspeak
-informal the jargon, abbreviations, and emoticons typically used by frequent internet users

Not sure if any of these sources are pretty based or not. Could be cringe but idk. Looking for opinions
Kirb and Cat posting is the default
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #579571

TWATICUS wrote:'based' isnt netspeak
This.

Lingo isn't the same as netspeak.

Netspeak came about around the idea of morphing words to expedite saying something, because talking to someone through text could be a longer process than by face to face. Stuff like brb, lol, ur, tnx, (:, etc.

I have a hard time seeing how cringe, based, poggers, whatever else... has anything to do with that. But the nature of netspeak has also changed, so, I don't know.
Armhulen wrote:Where people would instead say "fucking zorched" and "mutepenned and cryostinged". We should start encouraging 2060 terminology
In the lingo of the future, its all about brouzouf.
Dreathtil wrote:I guess I should personally clarify where I stand seeing as my own appeal is being used here but like Twaticus said, I consider based to be on the side of simply more LRPesque dialog then netspeak. And also as I stated, I have just have some things highlighted to be looked out for.

But I do lump a decent chunk of them together given the evolution of what defines netspeak, and how the internet does impact this thing called the real world. At least to my understanding.
I think its really hard to define netspeak at this point in history honestly. Especially as things have shifted to making memes rather than saving time.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hugs
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #579572

simple answer, while this may be a floating metal deathtrap drifting in orbit around a hostile planet, centcomm still has hiring standards and does not hire people who put "i have an engineering degree, pog" in their resume
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #579574

Am 18, anyone who uses netspeak IRL gets sectioned
remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579575

nooooo RP has to be restrictive you can't say the based word!!!
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #579577

using anything but chinese in the future is failrp anyway we should just ban english speech while we are at it
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #579583

iamgoofball wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:

1. people call back to old shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME right now, we still have morons who call back to the 50s as a golden age or some shit when it is 70 years ago at this point
2. our lingustics, art direction, and other assorted shit are all 20XX tech and tech inspired and design inspired.
3. half our station players nowadays are references to 20XX anime catgirls, and most these people have literally no RP to their character other than "im a cuddly bubbly catgirl owo"
4. if you want to make a case that linguistics have evolved then we wouldn't even be speaking English! in fact, we don't, galactic common is some incredibly fucked up combo of random parts of romanizied japanese iirc codeside

this means that we're viewing the language translated into our 2020s English, NOT as the 2550s Galactic Common.

therefore, we can logically conclude that these concepts from the 2550s Galactic Common would be translated to their 2020s English counterparts! The very concept of cool in 2550s Galactic Common may best translate to "based" in 2020s English!
this is the content i subscribe to crag for

fucking killed me 10/10 post someone frame it
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #579586

I once said that I say 'lol' irl and I think dorsi said I was a disgrace.

Also on the bus today I heard someone go 'bruh' in perfect pitch.
Last edited by NecromancerAnne on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #579587

iamgoofball wrote:
MortoSasye wrote:

I can't say Iamgoofball is correct because this means more than that to me. This resonates with every bone in my body. This reminds me of that round I thought "You know, the problem with taking place hundreds of years in the future is we don't have any memes. I'm sure they'd exist, but I can't think of any." So I started posting pieces of paper everywhere that said "when you SHIT".
Let the memes go, unless you have a proper replacement.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #579591

based engineer causes sm delamination and creates a singularity devouring the station, POGGERS
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #579608

Fact: I hear the young generation use based, cringe, and bruh in casual conversation on a regular basis. They're literally words found in the dictionary (bruh being a deliberate mispronunciation of the word 'bro', or a shortening of the word 'brother'). "Poggers" seems to just be a Twitch thing. I've never heard it used IRL.

Source: I am a sunday school teacher

Opinion: If we permit the use of slang and lingo like 'dude', 'cool' etc., I see no reason why dictionary words like 'based' or 'cringe' should be prohibited. If they are to be prohibited, then the reasoning should be clearly laid out and the limits clearly defined in the rules (i.e. "only 20th century slang is allowed")
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #579644

I am a sunday school teacher
Then nothing can save them
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

remanseptim
Byond Username: Remanseptim

Post by remanseptim » #579683

Farquaar wrote:"only 20th century slang is allowed")
i am going to start calling people tubular and tuff and also plunge europe into world war 2
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #579727

NecromancerAnne wrote:I once said that I say 'lol' irl and I think dorsi said I was a disgrace.
Just laugh, you heinous witch
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #579730

NoxVS wrote:Its hard to argue with this when I have seen people who are legally allowed to vote unironically use the word "poggers"
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #579740

Ah yes, the abbreviation known as based. So well known that I imagine if I asked for someone to write the full version of it then there would be only made-up answers. Clearly this is on the same scale as lol with no difference whatsoever.

I am also sure that when people use real netspeak or modern lingo then the quality of roleplay does not nosedive at all.
nah, bro, the non-boomers (btw u boomer) are, uh, using these words and
If the more serious servers of the game (baystation, aurorastation, fucking lifeweb) begin to use these words then I guess it truly is acceptable speech. Until then, it doesn't seem like it would make sense. Not even some of the absurd high-rp servers I know on gmod had people saying "LOL" or some shit.

EDIT: as for banning it, I don't really care if it happens on manuel however it seems stupid to think that people won't change for the worse if they're allowed to just go "lol hop died based poggers"
Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Post by Swept » #579753

People were saying "based, cringe, lol, pog, bruh etc." when I was in high school 2 years ago. My siblings say it in normal conversation with their friends.

Goofball is surprisingly right here but as usual he's presenting his point in the most acoustic way possible.

Also blah blah blah cringe based larp zoomer seethe cope just let people talk how they want to talk.
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #579755

Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #579757

You do know that most of the lingo terms being discussed here were present in lexicon of today's youth half a decade before Fortnite was even released, right?
► Show Spoiler
J Moldy
Byond Username: J Moldy

Post by J Moldy » #580190

On one hand, I would point out that this is, in theory, a corporate workplace where you're supposed to be doing a job for a powerful and heavily restrictive company and not a friendly gathering of modern kids hanging out together. It's not entirely unreasonable to expect people to have some kind of standards.
On the other hand, people regularly choose to jump into the kitchen and make their own food because the cook wasn't immediately visible, sparking a fight between cook and tablehopper till one of them gets stabbed till they're bleeding out on the floor, and this is generally regarded as normal.

It seems to me to be perfectly fine for people to use these terms sparingly. In moderation it just sounds like the steady evolution of language, overused the chat sounds like barely more than a chan's discord server. I only ever get at people when it starts to move from the former to the latter. What bothers me far more is that I've noticed more and more often people using directly OOC terms in IC chat, I have seen ckeys getting referenced at least twice, discussion of "the round type" and mentions that people should talk "on the tg discord", in-character, in the middle of IC conversations. It's been happening more and more lately.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #580202

Swept wrote:People were saying "based, cringe, lol, pog, bruh etc." when I was in high school 2 years ago. My siblings say it in normal conversation with their friends.
How awful
Swept wrote:just let people talk how they want to talk
I agree
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #580616

J Moldy wrote:On one hand, I would point out that this is, in theory, a corporate workplace where you're supposed to be doing a job for a powerful and heavily restrictive company and not a friendly gathering of modern kids hanging out together. It's not entirely unreasonable to expect people to have some kind of standards.
On the other hand, people regularly choose to jump into the kitchen and make their own food because the cook wasn't immediately visible, sparking a fight between cook and tablehopper till one of them gets stabbed till they're bleeding out on the floor, and this is generally regarded as normal.

It seems to me to be perfectly fine for people to use these terms sparingly. In moderation it just sounds like the steady evolution of language, overused the chat sounds like barely more than a chan's discord server. I only ever get at people when it starts to move from the former to the latter. What bothers me far more is that I've noticed more and more often people using directly OOC terms in IC chat, I have seen ckeys getting referenced at least twice, discussion of "the round type" and mentions that people should talk "on the tg discord", in-character, in the middle of IC conversations. It's been happening more and more lately.
People get one (and only one) warning for that, then they start getting bans. Thats how we stopped it for years and nobody whose opinion is worth anything will ever complain about some asshole getting a thirty/sixty minute serverban for talking about the server discord.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #580693

Based/cringe do not qualify as netspeak. If they're spammed they will be dealt with as spam.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.