Dynamic Team and solo antags.

Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Dynamic Team and solo antags.

Post by Naloac » #580434

So on dynamic solo antags can join team antags. This is normally fine you have some cool fights where changlings and cultists show down to try and escape or force a changling to stay down long enough to convert them. where this becomes a problem in my opinion is when you have people willingly going around and joining team antags just to gain more power. I think we should restrict them policy wise to only being able to join team antags unwillingly like we currently do to crew. instead of restricting it on the code side.
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
annoyinggreencatgirl
Byond Username: Uomo91

Re: Dynamic Team and solo antags.

Post by annoyinggreencatgirl » #580454

I was under the impression this was already server-wide policy for everybody; no willingly converting to team antagonists.
Is the current position that rule 4 overrides the above?
BrotherBeyond
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: BrotherBeyond

Post by BrotherBeyond » #580455

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:I was under the impression this was already server-wide policy for everybody; no willingly converting to team antagonists.
That was prior to having regular antags along side conversion I believe so that'd not be thought of when they made that ruling.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #580457

Antags can do what they want so it’s protected in the rules rn. But yeah this would be better. Makes sense ic too since once you are a team antag your current objectives take the back seat
[this space reserved]
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #580518

Any role that brainwashes you (all of them bar maybe families) shift your allegiance away from your employer / original leader so no role should ever want to willingly be converted.

If it was like families though where it’s like meh do what you want even if you’re in the gang you can do whatever then I wouldn’t care about that.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
keepforgettingpw
Byond Username: OmegaShoots

Post by keepforgettingpw » #580629

Cobby wrote:Any role that brainwashes you (all of them bar maybe families) shift your allegiance away from your employer / original leader so no role should ever want to willingly be converted.

If it was like families though where it’s like meh do what you want even if you’re in the gang you can do whatever then I wouldn’t care about that.
The thing is though that solo antag freedom exists, solo antags have never been obligated to NEED to do their objectives and have always been given full leeway into doing whatever it is that they want.
If they want to be the cult changeling, then they can do it no questions asked.

Obviously apply snowflake manuel policy on manuel, but the LRP servers shouldn't even be questioning on whether or not a solo antag should be barred from joining a team conversion antag willingly.
Any other ruling other than this opens the slippery slope on forcing antags to do their objectives.
Naloac

Post by Naloac » #580677

annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:I was under the impression this was already server-wide policy for everybody; no willingly converting to team antagonists.
rule 4 overrides this.
keepforgettingpw wrote:
Cobby wrote:words
Its at the point where I believe that if its not handled policy wise someone will do it codewise by just not allowing them to be converted which I feel is way worse. Watching people run into revs or cults to get converted for extra gear is so fucking lame.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #580679

you know whats more lame? enforcing this and watching lings and traitors team up with sec against rev / cult because they get herd protection and is ban proof
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #580722

I think it would be better to give some antags immunity to conversions.

Lings, wizards, cultists, revs, heretics, and nukies should be immune to conversion of (other) team antags.

Blood brothers already can't unless their bro is okay with it.
I think traitors letting themselves get converted is fine.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #580724

I think one of the dumbest things that has happened to me is getting Fuu ma'jin'd and shipped off to the syndicate by a cult contractor. :lol:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #580758

Wow contracting would be amazingly easy a cult honestly. Up until all the remaining people on your contract list are cultists that is.

I don't believe this problem is able to be resolved with code solutions due to most conversion antags having internal methods of distinguishing between someone who can be converted or not (mindshield implants), and having someone in the round who is neither mindshielded nor obviously convertible would be a rude kick in the teeth for both parties and only result in further problems. Namely they both out each other as antagonists probably and either kill each other or get each other killed by valids.

But I also think antagonists being unable to willingly convert themselves is kind of missing the actual issue, which might be a code problem, but not one resolved with policy. The root of the problem is that these modes were never meant to exist together, and they're grossly imbalanced when combined.

I don't think it is fair to compromise the freedoms we give antagonists further for the sake of keeping it fair in such a hyper specific scenario that likely might just entrap people into antag bans. We shouldn't tell an antagonist they can do whatever they want, but that willingly forcing yourself into a team role is against the rules, despite as a solo antag you are allowed to do practically anything else they otherwise want. Our other restrictions on solo antagonists are entirely good sportsmanship restrictions and obvious faux pas that compromise server integrity, like no ERP.

We honestly should just axe team antagonists from dynamic and focus on injecting some of our midrounds into dynamic as potential roundstart spawns to keep up the diversity, then the problem solves itself. If these modes entirely disappear from the 24/7 dynamic servers, that's a problem they need to reconcile with and recognize they can't have it both ways without creating a worse problem, which is mistreating players for playing incorrectly in a role they would have to otherwise try very hard to do wrong in.

I don't think team antagonists like blood brothers should be allowed, however, to willingly convert, since that falls under the already existing rule about not doing things that jeopardize your team. Turning yourself against your team mate is definitely going to fall under that rule. If both team mates willingly convert, then it's fine.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #580762

NecromancerAnne wrote:-snip-
I would be very sad if we removed team antags from dynamic completely. I wouldn't mind some kind of compromise where dynamic has a team v. single mode that it rolls at the beginning, which would avoid these issues while keeping team antags on Terry
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #580768

The code wise solution to this is to (temporarily) remove lower priority antag datums on conversion. So say if you get culted as a traitor, you lose the traitor datum and your traitor objectives and would get those back if you get deconverted. Does this matter if you're just doing it to bone with cult stun and esword and dont care about objectives? Not really, but it unmuddies the relationship between the antagonist roles somewhat, and instead of relying on policy to keep people going after the correct objectives they can get some in game guidance that we can probably tie back to configs akin to what ghost roles get on spawn.
Its not quite what this thread is talking about, since it adds consequence to getting converted instead of disallowing it. Thoughts?
VexingRaven
Byond Username: VexingRaven

Post by VexingRaven » #581552

skoglol wrote:The code wise solution to this is to (temporarily) remove lower priority antag datums on conversion. So say if you get culted as a traitor, you lose the traitor datum and your traitor objectives and would get those back if you get deconverted. Does this matter if you're just doing it to bone with cult stun and esword and dont care about objectives? Not really, but it unmuddies the relationship between the antagonist roles somewhat, and instead of relying on policy to keep people going after the correct objectives they can get some in game guidance that we can probably tie back to configs akin to what ghost roles get on spawn.
Its not quite what this thread is talking about, since it adds consequence to getting converted instead of disallowing it. Thoughts?
I don't see this as changing much of anything. It means they can't solo greentext, but people following objectives aren't the people willingly being converted anyway, it's the murderboners.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #581573

If you made it so that revs and culties couldn't convert Antags (they have a hidden syndie mindshield or syndie training or whatever) the same way as Sec can't be converted, you'd remove this issue entirely.

You could even leave blood brothers out of the immunity because it's not like anyone cares about what happens to nobody brothers - and they don't even get any gear in the first place.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Naloac

Post by Naloac » #581592

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:If you made it so that revs and culties couldn't convert Antags (they have a hidden syndie mindshield or syndie training or whatever) the same way as Sec can't be converted, you'd remove this issue entirely.

You could even leave blood brothers out of the immunity because it's not like anyone cares about what happens to nobody brothers - and they don't even get any gear in the first place.
I dont want to see antags unable to join team antags entirely. I just want it to happen unwillingly such as the way the crew currently do it. antags being forced onto the same side is fun. watching it happen cos lol funny stuns is lame
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #582094

good to see the fundamental issue with dynamic is finally being addressed by someone who isnt me screaming into the void. the only fix is mutual exclusivity. solo antags and team antags must not exist together, even if they cant work together. cultists/revs running around with traitor equipment because they happened to come across someone who couldnt be converted/was forced by the rules to resist them is in practice the same exact issue as said solo antags willingly joining the team antag for more power.

alternatively, the secret option, is to balance team modes around the idea that they could potentially get equipment from other gamemodes. this is not only way more work, but also a shit idea.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #582216

Kel wrote:solo antags and team antags must not exist together, even if they cant work together.
Isn't a big strength of dynamic how it can't be meta'd? Wouldn't doing this reduce that strength?
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #587044

Solo antags are now restricted to only being able to join conversion based antags unwillingly.
Also know as, they cant just walk up to people and ask to join or allow themselves to be converted.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.