[MRP] Punt public genetic consoles into the sun

Dezupher
Byond Username: Dezupher

[MRP] Punt public genetic consoles into the sun

Post by Dezupher » #581994

Bottom post of the previous page:

It's become an increasingly common trend for geneticists on Manuel to build public genetics consoles just outside of science or in the primary hallway. This seems like a pretty good Idea but it has several pretty big negative affects on the round as a whole.

For starters you're completely eliminating almost any player interactions between the crew and the geneticists by just side stepping anyone ever having to go to genetics to get mutations if they want them or geneticists trying to offer people mutations. Antagonists don't even have to break into genetics if they want mutations they're just right there in the hall for free. Players and their actions on Manuel should first be attempting to increase player interaction, not reduce it.

It has a larger effect on the balance of the round round as a whole, Genetics with how it works at the moment is incredibly easy. You can very quickly get all the mutations people would want and store them all on a single console. And when the everyone from security to the janitor all have easy access to space adapt, thermal vision and TK or insulated, compounded with other public crew empowering things such Nanites (which by design are meant to be public but risky) and a beneficial virus from viro, the average crew member becomes an absolute nightmare to deal with as any antagonist when you pretty much have to assume ANYONE could be running around with thermal vision.

The whole idea that antagonists on Manuel can do more with the longer rounds is somewhat of a lie because of how much the crew can passively power game with things like genetics. Good luck with your gimmick that involves any form of violence when the cook saw you through the wall with thermal vision and now security is chasing you with x-ray guns space adapt and thermal vision. This isn't impossible to accomplish without a public genetics console but is much more common now with public ones being built every round.

Until genetics is no longer absurdly easy to do and extremely powerful disallow people from constructing public genetics consoles in the middle of the halls, they shouldn't be leaving genetics.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Re: [MRP] Punt public genetic consoles into the sun

Post by Flatulent » #582996

Manuel is destined to evolve into Bay with it’s famous “if u build shit in halls you are banned bye bye” bans
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #583054

Manuel being a slippery slope into Bay has always felt inevitable
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #590557

Not every policy situation requires a strict line to be drawn, so we'd prefer to delegate it to administrators with a general guideline along what timberpoes posted,
..."the further away from the science lobby, the fewer gamer mutations I want to see on it" and I will actively wipe major gamer mutations off public DNA Consoles that stray too far from Science. On the other hand, I absolutely do not care if I see a public console loaded up with non-gamer mutations no matter where it is on the station.
A code change is always nice, but until someone decides they want to put their time and effort into that this is roughly how we'd like to see it handled.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes, in cases like this I want to shy away from concrete lines being drawn as it can ignore important context, in this case the type of mutations/how easily available it is.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.