Are uranium golem valid?

technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Are uranium golem valid?

Post by technokek » #582937

Guess this needs a policy thread.

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37#p582393 .
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Re: Are uranium golem valid?

Post by thehogshotgun » #582938

Yes
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #582943

What do they do, fifty radiation per pulse? Damage isn't taken until you reach five hundred. It takes roughly two minutes and thirty seconds to three minutes of running around with one just to get to two hundred rads, it'd be a whole while longer to reach five hundred. Its not exactly instant rads damage in a close quarters area like a shuttle.
Fatal wrote:EDIT: I also did some testing in the thunderdome to test how long it takes for being stood next to a uranium golem to kill you, I timed it at roughly 15 minutes of full exposure from a single tile away, although you go into crit a good couple of minutes before that
Actually they sat and let it play out so I didn't have to, sweet ^

Not to get out of the scope of this thread but would plasma golems benefit from this question for being able to easily ignite and go boom? Mostly to build on that context that, just like many other golem types, plenty of them are walking talking workplace hazards, uranium in this case included.
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #582944

Plasma-golems explosion is easily preventable, keep a fire extinguisher on hand as well as a stun baton and they're not a problem.
Uranium golems shouldn't be insta-valid.
If you had say 3-10 uranium golems trying to pack into a enclosed area, occupied by others, then probably valid.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #582945

Taylork2 wrote:Plasma-golems explosion is easily preventable, keep a fire extinguisher on hand as well as a stun baton and they're not a problem.
Uranium golems shouldn't be insta-valid.
If you had say 3-10 uranium golems trying to pack into a enclosed area, occupied by others, then probably valid.
Exaaaactly. Its all pretty manageable unless you are up to your ears in golems, regardless of the type.
Hugs
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #582946

uranium golems should not be a thing

I'm not sure why we keep greenlighting things that will by their very nature be instavalid but it's got to stop
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #582947

But what reason is there to make them in the first place.
Sure the radiation is a manageable amount but like why is there an acceptable amount of radiation to just spread around the station.

Radiation is a bad thing and sure it's only a little bit, but as far as I'm aware, uranium golems are just grief golems and they should be valid and mass producing them should make you valid for making them.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #582948

oranges wrote:uranium golems should not be a thing

I'm not sure why we keep greenlighting things that will by their very nature be instavalid but it's got to stop
Would anyone actually miss them?
Hugs
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #582966

why would they be instavalid? If you go to a golem, dont ask it to leave so you can do whatever, then bitch about being radiated and how they should be instavalid i will probably ban you for wasting my time.

It would be different if they did enough radiation to down you in a few minutes, but it literally takes like what almost 10% of the entire round on average for them to down you lol...
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #582968

By existing they commit harm. It's a shitty type of golem and crew should be free to retaliate against them as they please.
[this space reserved]
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #582978

tbh uranium golems should probably have an active radiation pulse ability as opposed to passive radiation output but fuck if i know how to code it
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #583026

Just make them have the fancy radiation glow effect and an active pulse instead of passive pulse like nianjiiilical said. It's gimmick could be radiation + light source instead of just radiation then.
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #583036

As posted in a recent ban appeal of mine, I tested the lethality of uranium golems in the thunderdome

Being stood next to one, I took 15 minutes to die, but as I was ghosted, I believe it was a couple of minutes prior I would have been put into critical

Being stood next to a golem for a few seconds is not grounds for a lethal response, so valid hunters can kindly keep away from them
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #583091

It doesn't matter what the actual result is, all that matters is what people perceive to be true
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #583094

They're literally golems that irradiate people. People haaaaate rads I cannot BELIEVE admins would look down on crew killing them.

Seriously.
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #583096

Thanks for making this thread!
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #583098

pugie wrote:They're literally golems that irradiate people. People haaaaate rads I cannot BELIEVE admins would look down on crew killing them.

Seriously.

This. Radiation is probably the most disliked effect in the game, all these people commenting on how “well the constant spew of radiation the grief golem pours out on everyone who it follows around will take a long time to actually deal 200 tox damage through radiation so they arent valid” confuse me
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #583102

I've seen admins declare people to be valid under escalation rules for much, much less than uranium golem irradiation.
nianjiilical wrote:tbh uranium golems should probably have an active radiation pulse ability as opposed to passive radiation output but fuck if i know how to code it
This probably seems like a solution that would make all parties happy. Still, I think validing ghost roles that are passively harming the crew shouldn't be controversial to begin with.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #583104

I think there’s just a misunderstanding on how rads work because people are used to the stupid big numbers that come from fusion fuckery they don’t actually know the extent of how little this does to you.

To be clear we are NOT arguing “can you kill a golem who won’t leave so you could do your work safely and constantly irradiating you”, we are arguing can you kill them for even existing EVEN IF AN ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE TO AVOID PEOPLE. I don’t even think it’s an epic mechanic but “I can kill this golem even if he has never even damaged me because he might later due to a passive mechanic versus left clicking me” is an incredibly wild take.
Last edited by Cobby on Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #583217

Cobby wrote:I think there’s just a misunderstanding on how rads work because people are used to the stupid big numbers that come from fusion fuckery they don’t actually know the extent of how little this does to you.

To be clear we are NOT arguing “can you kill a golem who won’t leave so you could do your work safely and constantly irradiating you”, we are arguing can you kill them for even existing EVEN IF AN ATTEMPT HAS BEEN MADE TO AVOID PEOPLE. I don’t even think it’s an epic mechanic but “I can kill this golem even if he has never even damaged me because he might later due to a passive mechanic versus left clicking me” is an incredibly wild take.
The problem is there is very little good reason for a uranium golem to exist. Even if the radiation amounts are very small I find it hard to believe someone creating a uranium golem is doing so in good faith and are litearlly only creating them to annoy people and spread rads. This is not really the golem's fault but more the creator and to some extent the design or the golem's fault. Obviously a better solution would be to remove the passive rads.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #583218

sure, im not arguing the mechanic isn't annoying/good/etc. Im arguing that if the golem doesnt mess with you (especially if it isnt close to rad you ever), you shouldnt be able to kill it because of some hypothetical where you put yourself in the position to get hurt.

I dont think anyone is arguing against killing a golem for constantly being around you. Obv that is kill-worthy. The thread has to be about freekilling uranium golems just for existing, even if they do everything in their path to NOT get close to you.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #583506

if i was playing ai/borg and there was an uranium golem i would kill it and dust the body unless it was contained in xenobio and by contained i dont mean 'walking around freely'
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #583510

the xenobiologist who made the griefgolems should be valid
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #583523

The coder who made the griefgolems should be dusted and his ashes spread around xenobiology as a warning to others
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #587050

Uranium golems are not kill on sight or anything, if they're causing radiation to spread by following people around and are obviously a problem for the crew then they can be killed.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #587082

I went and changed how uranium golems irradiate things to strictly when they are damaged and when they punch people, so there shouldn't ever be an instance where this is a problem not already handled by golems becoming involved in conflicts as normal or deliberately attacking people and thus causing radiation pulses.