Make the valid criteria for setting off the lavaland syndie base bomb as a syndie stricter

NikoTheGuyDude
Byond Username: NikoTheGuyDude

Make the valid criteria for setting off the lavaland syndie base bomb as a syndie stricter

Post by NikoTheGuyDude » #584031

In the previous round on Manuel, a syndie woke up, beelined for the bomb, and detonated it, because "The station was compromised"

In reality, there was 1 traitor on station, 1 captured HOP, and 1 guy there for RP reasons (completely non-hostile). I ahelped this and was told by (i think) justicegoat that syndies are allowed to blow up the bomb if miners so much as SNEEZE on the station. This, to me, kind of invalidates the entire role, as rarely a round goes by without miners attempting to break in. Allowing this behavior will basically be giving a green light to any ghost to just blow up the base in 60% of scenarios, which, again, invalidates the role, since half the time a ghost will have free reign to spawn in and end your round.

My personal proposition is to make it so that syndies can only arm the bomb if they can provide a reasonable explanation for why they think the base may be taken over in the near future, and why the current defenses are insufficient to protect it. This is probably really dumb, which is why I'm not doing the final judgement.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: Make the valid criteria for setting off the lavaland syndie base bomb as a syndie stricter

Post by SkeletalElite » #584045

Is this a manuel thing, the syndie base is literally untouched by station crew in 80% of the rounds it spawns on the other servers
NikoTheGuyDude

Re: Make the valid criteria for setting off the lavaland syndie base bomb as a syndie stricter

Post by NikoTheGuyDude » #584060

SkeletalElite wrote:Is this a manuel thing, the syndie base is literally untouched by station crew in 80% of the rounds it spawns on the other servers
I'll admit, I probably just experience a lot of attacks (also since manuel tends to take longer, miners have more time to prepare for their gamer assault) but even with that, I dislike having the possibility of a syndie randomly spawning and destroying the base while I'm currently fighting a miner (which, I will say, is /fun/)
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #584089

NikoTheGuyDude wrote:I ahelped this and was told by (i think) justicegoat that syndies are allowed to blow up the bomb if miners so much as SNEEZE on the station.
It was me. Honestly this is less of a policy issue and more of an awfully designed ruin issue. Its a giant loot pinata that has equipment that can fuck over the traitors if the station gets it, the role's entire purpose is to aid any traitors on the station, and there are 0 defenses protecting the most valuable part of the ruin. You can just steal everything of value, including the self destruct, with nothing but an RCD.

It is hard to be angry at people for arming the self destruct when miners so much as sneezing at the base is enough to steal the gamer gear
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #584185

Yet at the same time, using a lavaland ghost role just to suicide immediately is actually a bannable offense, and one of the key elements of Manuel is to encourage roleplay. What this guy effectively did was not only immediately suiciding by bombing, potentially meta'ing the presence of other people if he didnt confirm the situation first in-character which in of itself is bannable (don't have logs so I couldn't say), but deliberately spitting in his own allies faces given he acted against their wishes, which is another angle to which this is a bad move if we want to consider fellow lavaland syndies as a a team.

You should be considering this when dealing with people who deliberately jump into ghost roles to then deny everyone else from play and roleplay, don't you think? What part of this isn't kicking the sand castle in the play pit level of petty?

It's more understandable if there was an actual conflict over the situation but given what was described, this situation wasn't getting out of hand, so I have reservations about this.

This post has suddenly become a admin feedback to something I have no context too...
NikoTheGuyDude

Post by NikoTheGuyDude » #584197

NecromancerAnne wrote:Yet at the same time, using a lavaland ghost role just to suicide immediately is actually a bannable offense, and one of the key elements of Manuel is to encourage roleplay. What this guy effectively did was not only immediately suiciding by bombing, potentially meta'ing the presence of other people if he didnt confirm the situation first in-character which in of itself is bannable (don't have logs so I couldn't say), but deliberately spitting in his own allies faces given he acted against their wishes, which is another angle to which this is a bad move if we want to consider fellow lavaland syndies as a a team.

You should be considering this when dealing with people who deliberately jump into ghost roles to then deny everyone else from play and roleplay, don't you think? What part of this isn't kicking the sand castle in the play pit level of petty?

It's more understandable if there was an actual conflict over the situation but given what was described, this situation wasn't getting out of hand, so I have reservations about this.

This post has suddenly become a admin feedback to something I have no context too...
To be fair, there /was/ a 30 seconds window where the syndie could've had a strange interaction without me knowing, and the HOS /HAD/ broken into engi, however there was absolutely no way for anyone to have known this, save for the tot miner seeing it/metagame.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584255

That sounds like an unusually interesting RP scenario in a game that has nothing of interest happening 90% of the time. It's a shame a shitter had to ruin it. Can't have anything on /tg/station. Then of course the admin is dumb and misses the point.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #584356

Jumping onto a syndie lavaland ghost role because you see someone on the lavaland base and want to blow them up is absolutely, without a doubt, mega lame.

If the issue is ghost role syndies feel that they aren't protected, its not like they don't spawn with tools to defends themselves (handguns, eswords, snipers, etc). Blowing it up from being bored or not as a last resort just ain't quite right. As Anne said its basically the same as jumping on a ghost role just to suicide, except someone is taking a body count along with them.

Might have something to do with the flavor text of the syndie ghost roles than anything:

lavaland_syndicate

Code: Select all

flavour_text = "Unfortunately, your hated enemy, Nanotrasen, has begun mining in this sector. Continue your research as best you can, and try to keep a low profile."
important_info = "The base is rigged with explosives, DO NOT abandon it or let it fall into enemy hands!"
lavaland_syndicate/comms

flavour_text = "Unfortunately, your hated enemy, Nanotrasen, has begun mining in this sector. Monitor enemy activity as best you can, and try to keep a low profile. Use the communication equipment to provide support to any field agents, and sow disinformation to throw Nanotrasen off your trail. Do not let the base fall into enemy hands!"
important_info = "DO NOT abandon the base."
lavaland_syndicate/comms/space

flavour_text = "Monitor enemy activity as best you can, and try to keep a low profile. Monitor enemy activity as best you can, and try to keep a low profile. Use the communication equipment to provide support to any field agents, and sow disinformation to throw Nanotrasen off your trail. Do not let the base fall into enemy hands!"
important_info = "DO NOT abandon the base."
Maybe it could be more specifically worded that a self destruct is a last resort kind of option, but someone being there isn't the same as it 'falling into enemy hands'.
Hugs
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584392

It should probably specify more clearly that "fall into enemy hands" means "being taken over" not "hostage RP".
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: