Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

Post by pugie » #584338

Bottom post of the previous page:

I ahelped about this, as a player on Terry broke into a bolted dorms room and stole the syndicate gear of a player that bought a surplus crate. Said player was aware the person in the dorms room was using their PDA so they broke in. I was told there should be a policy post about this by the admin on at the time and I agree, at what point is it ok to break into dorms to validhunt if ever. I'd say it falls under using metainfo, but is it against the rules to mention the fact someone is using PDA in dorms on comms, or just breaking in to steal their gear. Is it ok to use them having been to dorms to arrest them later too etcetera, or is it only OK when the player used a PDA because of players being allowed to be aware of all OOC mechanics.

Please share your thoughts.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

Post by Cobby » #584727

Doing it for the explicit purpose of finding antags *****WITHOUT REASON**** is shit. Doing it for NO reason, even if not for the explicit purpose of antag hunting, is shit but prob for a different thread. This does not apply exclusively to any location.

There is no point in arguing in breaking into it if you have reason, you are wasting everyone's time having to read your post. This is pretty much intended to be explicitly for doing it without reason.
Armhulen wrote:I feel like after 9 years of dorms being the "buy a surplus spot" people should be a little more creative with their placement
I feel like after 9 years of trying to play for kills on a roleplaying atmossimulator to the point we had to make a server with a complete 180 of how we previously viewed the game people should be a little more considerate of the environment being created on LRP but here we are trying to explain how you cant just koolaid man your way through every obstacle because of a hypothetical that an ANTAG (wee woo neuron activation) might be on the other side.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #584804

just dont bolt the door nobody checks non-red doors
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584848

Yeah except when picking a dorm room to enter for one's own purposes the non-bolted ones usually take precedence
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

terranaut

Post by terranaut » #584849

why would you go into a dorm room except to buy traitor gear or erp
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #584851

its the closest thing we have to an IC way of going AFK that isn't just go braindead.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584855

^^^^^
NSFW:

stan_albatross
Byond Username: Stan_albatross

Post by stan_albatross » #584891

Cobby wrote:its the closest thing we have to an IC way of going AFK that isn't just go braindead.
just go to a locker
Karl Karlsson and never anything else
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584896

you can but it's a dumb stopgap measure for something not yet accounted for in code. there should be an ic way to go afk that doesn't stop antags or people with the right access from getting to you but makes it more difficult for random crew to interfere with your character and inventory. like the sleeper equivalent of a personal locker to replace the dorms beds
NSFW:

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #584900

cacogen wrote:you can but it's a dumb stopgap measure for something not yet accounted for in code. there should be an ic way to go afk that doesn't stop antags or people with the right access from getting to you but makes it more difficult for random crew to interfere with your character and inventory. like the sleeper equivalent of a personal locker to replace the dorms beds
put locks on the shitters problem solved

odds are good that's the reason you're away from your desk for exactly four minutes anyway
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #584908

just afk in the armory to be safe
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #584947

stan_albatross wrote:
Cobby wrote:its the closest thing we have to an IC way of going AFK that isn't just go braindead.
just go to a locker
i remember when someone did that and their ssd body was erped
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #584969

just my two cents but i think its pretty shitty of people to break down the dorm doors just for being bolted particularly during roundstart. i think it's a dumber idea to make it an admin enforced safe zone to buy surplus crates though.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #584970

Screemonster wrote:
cacogen wrote:you can but it's a dumb stopgap measure for something not yet accounted for in code. there should be an ic way to go afk that doesn't stop antags or people with the right access from getting to you but makes it more difficult for random crew to interfere with your character and inventory. like the sleeper equivalent of a personal locker to replace the dorms beds

odds are good that's the reason you're away from your desk for exactly four minutes anyway
I think they're also cardboard instead of difficult to investigate. This sleeper thing I'm floating no one wants would be harder to get into than welding a regular wall or hacking an airlock. I also suggested reinforcing the walls and protecting the airlocks in the dorms but I don't think people would go for that either.
NSFW:

Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #584975

cacogen wrote:
Screemonster wrote:

I think they're also cardboard instead of difficult to investigate. This sleeper thing I'm floating no one wants would be harder to get into than welding a regular wall or hacking an airlock. I also suggested reinforcing the walls and protecting the airlocks in the dorms but I don't think people would go for that either.
the problem with the dorms is that they're in a fairly central location, clustered together, have things in them that people might want to rush roundstart (like the ian bedsheet) and are generally visible from busy hallways so people see the bolt lights and get curious which gives them plausible deniability for antag-checking - "I wasn't looking for antags, I saw a bolted door which was unusual and got curious / wanted to beat up ERPers / figured I'd see if they were AFK and had something to rob / whatever"

difficulty to investigate isn't the issue, as soon as people realise there's something to investigate they will get in by hook or by crook
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #584998

You’re telling me it’s a code issue where a room with a lock on it isn’t a safe way to go afk because admins will let you tear it down for just being used?

What happens when admins let you break this hypothetical new sleeper so you can check “just in case”? This is entirely an admin issue.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #585002

if this does become admin policy i will specifically always buy gear in dorms, and hide there, not behind a bolted door, but behind an admin's banhammer, to banbait any new players/competent players/any players into attacking me in the SAFE ZONE DORMS and thus getting banned, allowing my unrobust ass to safely gut their AFK corpse and scoring easy greentext. thanks admins very based.
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #585003

looks like dorms need to be removed
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #585016

terranaut wrote:looks like dorms need to be removed
no way! where catfembois gonna erp without cabine 4?
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #585020

kopoba wrote:
maint sex :shock:
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #585036

trollbreeder wrote:
kopoba wrote:
maint sex :shock:
Yeh more *me to find pinus in the dark cold dirty maintenance.
romantic :tile:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #585108

As part of Art I've been trying to move dorms to public spaces with only directional reinforced windows to make a Statement but I keep getting killed by syndicate operatives in Cabin 2 on DeltaStation. Please get my body
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #585279

can anyone explain what situation they believe they would find themselves in if the ruling was "Do not try to break into an area for no other reason but intent to check for antagonist gear" that would be considered "baiting" or whatever?

Like im confused where the notion that "dorms becomes a safe zone" from the ruling that no one has actually been able to formulate yet comes from.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #585284

That's why it's a bad idea yea
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #585288

Cobby wrote:can anyone explain what situation they believe they would find themselves in if the ruling was "Do not try to break into an area for no other reason but intent to check for antagonist gear" that would be considered "baiting" or whatever?

Like im confused where the notion that "dorms becomes a safe zone" from the ruling that no one has actually been able to formulate yet comes from.
How to buy antag gear with no risk what so ever
1) Go in dorms and bolt door
2) Buy antag gear
3) If someone finds you ahelp them for "searching for antags for no reason"

Dorms is now a now a no touch safe zone

They are now banned or noted
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #585345

Well yeah fuck off lol? If going to dorms alone is what you’ve done to previously justify searches then fuck you?

I don’t mind checking for walls but like that’s different than literally breaking it down searching for gamer gear which you shouldn’t be doing without reason. IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS ALREADY AGAINST THE RULES AND NOT SPECIFIC TO DORMS

Yes, that creates a situation where you might need to search everywhere but dorms before you come to the conclusion that the thing you are looking for is in dorms. This applies to every location though, you shouldn’t be breaking stuff down under the hypothetical there MAY be antag gear on the other side I don’t see how that’s hard to understand or how that translates into X is now homebase
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #585398

Cobby wrote:Well yeah fuck off lol? If going to dorms alone is what you’ve done to previously justify searches then fuck you?

I don’t mind checking for walls but like that’s different than literally breaking it down searching for gamer gear which you shouldn’t be doing without reason. IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS ALREADY AGAINST THE RULES AND NOT SPECIFIC TO DORMS

Yes, that creates a situation where you might need to search everywhere but dorms before you come to the conclusion that the thing you are looking for is in dorms. This applies to every location though, you shouldn’t be breaking stuff down under the hypothetical there MAY be antag gear on the other side I don’t see how that’s hard to understand or how that translates into X is now homebase
The problem is, there are reasons to break into rooms other than to search for antag gear and it's stupid if you get banned just because the antag who got fucked over by using probably the worst gear buying spot in the game happened to be the one behind the door
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #585415

SkeletalElite wrote:The problem is, there are reasons to break into rooms other than to search for antag gear and it's stupid if you get banned just because the antag who got fucked over by using probably the worst gear buying spot in the game happened to be the one behind the door
The other reasons being? I've had a few instances where someone has broken into the dorm I was in because they were desperate for a rev conversion... I can't think of reasons to break in that aren't antag related aside from "you're in crit and we tracked your body to here" or "the shuttle is coming and we're taking people out of dorms." Of course there is "We're looking for an established criminal and we think they might be in here" but aside from that I'm drawing blanks here, and more often than not those kinds of searches are happening later in the round (there are some pretty efficient greytiders though...)

Seriously, what reasons are there to break in to a bolted dorm aside from searching for an existing, known, criminal?
Eskjjlj
Byond Username: Eskjjlj

Post by Eskjjlj » #585418

RaveRadbury wrote:Seriously, what reasons are there to break in to a bolted dorm aside from searching for an existing, known, criminal?
Outing ERPers.
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #585419

Eskjjlj wrote:Outing ERPers.
I think you're mistaken, that's what your ban appeal is for.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #585434

time to put cult runes in dorms rooms and ahelp when they get discovered
if you see cult runes in dorms you should walk away like nothing happened
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #585436

Flatulent wrote:if you see cult runes in dorms you should walk away like nothing happened
This is just misrepresenting the argument, as seeing a rune is undeniably probable cause to investigate further.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #585437

and so is seeing a syndicate box
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #585438

Flatulent wrote:and so is seeing a syndicate box
You're skipping a step here, if you're walking through dorms and you glimpse a syndicate box or runes in a dorm that is quickly closing and bolting, yeah sure go for it. On the other hand, if you walk through dorms and just see a bolted airlock and think "hm... what could be in there, must be valids, time to breach" it doesn't really matter what's inside of it, you shouldn't be doing that.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #585440

so a permanently bolted dorms room is basically an admin-protected cult base now, right?
cultists do not need to ever unbolt/open the door, they have teleport runes.
why stop at dorms at all? make running into any cult bases in maint bannable as well
after all, why would you lurk in maint if not to catch valids?
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #585444

Flatulent wrote:so a permanently bolted dorms room is basically an admin-protected cult base now, right?
cultists do not need to ever unbolt/open the door, they have teleport runes.
why stop at dorms at all? make running into any cult bases in maint bannable as well
after all, why would you lurk in maint if not to catch valids?
You keep missing steps here. If you know there's a cult on board, that justifies opening bolted rooms, just like it justifies random searches. Actually, you could compare search justification to justifying breaking into a bolted dorm/toilet along similar lines. But if an airlock is bolted that normally isn't (especially in maint) that's really sus.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #585451

Yes it’s antag home base, I will ban you if I see you venture to dorms for any reason, and I want it like that and so does all my other alts you call the admin team.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #585473

Cobby wrote:Yes it’s antag home base, I will ban you if I see you venture to dorms for any reason, and I want it like that and so does all my other alts you call the admin team.
honestly my solution given admin tools if I suspected someone of antag checking the dorms would be to aghost over the dorms at roundstart and bolt one of them at random then fill it with gorillas
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #585475

RaveRadbury wrote:
SkeletalElite wrote:The problem is, there are reasons to break into rooms other than to search for antag gear and it's stupid if you get banned just because the antag who got fucked over by using probably the worst gear buying spot in the game happened to be the one behind the door
The other reasons being? I've had a few instances where someone has broken into the dorm I was in because they were desperate for a rev conversion... I can't think of reasons to break in that aren't antag related aside from "you're in crit and we tracked your body to here" or "the shuttle is coming and we're taking people out of dorms." Of course there is "We're looking for an established criminal and we think they might be in here" but aside from that I'm drawing blanks here, and more often than not those kinds of searches are happening later in the round (there are some pretty efficient greytiders though...)

Seriously, what reasons are there to break in to a bolted dorm aside from searching for an existing, known, criminal?
I break into dorms to steal from AFK people who think dorms is a good AFK spot
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #585476

RaveRadbury wrote:
The other reasons being?
I was looking for a lavender bedsheet to complete my renovation of the cargo warehouse into the Citrus ERP dungeon and none of the sheets in the non-bolted dorms were lavender so I decided my only option was to cut the wall of a bolted one. There was a guy in there AFK in the bed and the bedsheet wasn't lavender so I rebuilt the wall and remembered you can dye bedsheets with crayons. I ended up with a lovely purple bedsheet for people who inadvertently used the mislabelled teleporter beacon and found themselves trapped in a romantic situation.

Every case for breaking into a dorm room can't be identified in advance and breaking into a bolted dorm room should probably only be considered an issue if you can prove it's an antag hunter doing it without probable cause, like a random search. Bolted airlocks draw attention. Pick a better place or accept the potential consequences.
NSFW:

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #585482

ITT: Players tell on themselves

but seriously if there was an ahelp and I found out it was over bedsheets, that's like not really something that's going to get you noted or anything? It also sounds like that was one of the last steps of your process, it seems like a lot of the discourse here is about early breaching of bolted rooms?

Vulturing from AFK people is about as bad as stealing from people in surgery or cloning (back when we had it). Shame on you.
Last edited by RaveRadbury on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #585492

just hide better lmao, there's bathrooms, there's maint , there's cam cutting , there's SPACE. There's CHAPEL SECRET ROOM. There's LAVALAND PUBLIC MINING SHUTTLE, There's BAR BACKROOM, There's CHEF FRIDGE, There's TOXINS TARGET. There's ABANDONED ROBO. There's literally so many options that aren't dorms...
also, i agree that round start checking bolted doors is retarded but if there are antags outed and you are searching bolted rooms that's fair game.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned

Post by Flatulent » #585495

RaveRadbury wrote:If you know there's a cult on board, that justifies opening bolted rooms, just like it justifies random searches. Actually, you could compare search justification to justifying breaking into a bolted dorm/toilet along similar lines. But if an airlock is bolted that normally isn't (especially in maint) that's really sus.
Even if crew doesn’t know that cult is onboard, this shouldn’t let cultists operate with complete impunity. Them being allowed a base in fucking dorms is ridicilous. Cult bases are supposed to be well-hidden in maint/rarely used rooms with smart usage of hide runes spell and covering up tracks behind you so shitcurity doesn’t catch on. They aren’t supposed to be hidden in plain sight with their only protection being “if i enter this room 12 out of 16 admins currently orbiting me will instantly ban me and send a tomahawk cruise missle my way”.

If you aren’t even trying to be covert and you get discovered with a surplus crate/cult rune, it’s YOUR fault and not the discoverer’s for “searching in places they arent supposed to enter”.

There has to be a risk factor in everything you do on the station, it’s an inherent part of the game.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #585519

There is a risk, but “I’m going to tear down everything for no reason to antag hunt” is not one of them.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #585527

officer walking through maint what will he do??, uh oh HE SEE BOLTED DOOR IN MAINT. HE FOUND MY CULT BASE NO!!!!!!!!!! AHELP!!! JANNIE HELP
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #585537

SkeletalElite wrote:I break into dorms to steal from AFK people who think dorms is a good AFK spot
please explain where to go AFK if dorms is bad for it then.

Yes, I know that if I wanted to REALLY go afk then I should put myself in a personally owned cabinet/locker otherwise I'll get fragged for no reason/looted however if the PLACE WITH FUCKING BEDS isn't a good afk spot then literally nowhere is a fucking good AFK spot besides some obscure bullshit ("hm, no one goes into brig interrogation chamber's camera room. perfect!")
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #585544

SkeletalElite wrote:I break into dorms to steal from AFK people who think dorms is a good AFK spot
cancer
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #585557

Lets not forget that really important word here. Pre-emptive.

Google to the rescue:

Preemptive:

A preemptive action is made to keep some other action from being taken. Before you could be accused of eating the whole cake, you decided to make a preemptive apology, which was met with awkward silence.

Tired of being disturbed by your roommate's loud music, your preemptive strike was to crank up your favorite opera as soon as you arrived home. Unfortunately, he'd already made a preemptive strike of his own by borrowing your stereo. Don't confuse preemptive with peremptory, a word meaning “arrogant.” You don't have to be arrogant to make a preemptive move, just cautious.
Hugs
SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #585606

Ayy Lemoh wrote:

Yes, I know that if I wanted to REALLY go afk then I should put myself in a personally owned cabinet/locker otherwise I'll get fragged for no reason/looted however if the PLACE WITH FUCKING BEDS isn't a good afk spot then literally nowhere is a fucking good AFK spot besides some obscure bullshit ("hm, no one goes into brig interrogation chamber's camera room. perfect!")
When I AFK, It's usually in a locker in maint or obscure unused rooms.
Bolting yourself in a bathroom toilet is good enough as long as you cut the bolt light wire as well.
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #585607

SkeletalElite wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:

When I AFK, It's usually in a locker in maint or obscure unused rooms.
Bolting yourself in a bathroom toilet is good enough as long as you cut the bolt light wire as well.
have I not been saying throughout this thread that having more bathrooms around the station and hiding the bolt lights so that casual passers-by don't have a reason to get curious would be preferable to "there is only one easily-accessible cluster of lockable rooms on the station and it's instantly visible when they're in use to every yahoo that happens to stumble by"
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #585608

you guys do realize that fucking with AFK people is bannable, right

like, if someone's connection drops, that doesn't make them valid

if you reconnect to the game and find that you're dead and all your belongings in a looter's possession, ahelp it
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #585609

Why does it have to be about antag hunting. Can't greybacks break into dorms just to rob sleeping people because they want to?

Now to the point about protecting the room you're using and worrying about being bugged: Learn the game.
Off the top of my head and not perfect solutions that the person can do.

1- PDA/paper at a camera to disable the bolt lights on a certain room.
2- Cut the AI control on said door either after #1 or after you yourself cut the bolt wires+bolt light.
3- Fucking take the remote out of the button.