Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

Post by pugie » #584338

Bottom post of the previous page:

I ahelped about this, as a player on Terry broke into a bolted dorms room and stole the syndicate gear of a player that bought a surplus crate. Said player was aware the person in the dorms room was using their PDA so they broke in. I was told there should be a policy post about this by the admin on at the time and I agree, at what point is it ok to break into dorms to validhunt if ever. I'd say it falls under using metainfo, but is it against the rules to mention the fact someone is using PDA in dorms on comms, or just breaking in to steal their gear. Is it ok to use them having been to dorms to arrest them later too etcetera, or is it only OK when the player used a PDA because of players being allowed to be aware of all OOC mechanics.

Please share your thoughts.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Re: Is breaking into bolted dorms rooms to check for antags legal.

Post by Gamarr » #585609

Why does it have to be about antag hunting. Can't greybacks break into dorms just to rob sleeping people because they want to?

Now to the point about protecting the room you're using and worrying about being bugged: Learn the game.
Off the top of my head and not perfect solutions that the person can do.

1- PDA/paper at a camera to disable the bolt lights on a certain room.
2- Cut the AI control on said door either after #1 or after you yourself cut the bolt wires+bolt light.
3- Fucking take the remote out of the button.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #585640

if i finally concede the need to piss out the litre and a half of no sugar coke i spent the best part of the last hour drowning myself with the last thing i want to concern myself with is shitter-proofing my dorm room. it should come shitter proofed. and assistants should be allowed to steal from afks in there at the cost of immediately gibbing
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #586368

cacogen wrote:I still think there needs to be a code solution to going AFK that makes it harder to get at people's inventories. Locking yourself in a personal locker is stupid. Sleepers the HoS/captain can access, the crew can break into with effort and antags can access with the right item or ability would be better.
I made this in a PR a while back, it went stale and died because nobody wanted to merge it. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/49031
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #586370

Gamarr wrote:Why does it have to be about antag hunting. Can't greybacks break into dorms just to rob sleeping people because they want to?

Now to the point about protecting the room you're using and worrying about being bugged: Learn the game.
Off the top of my head and not perfect solutions that the person can do.

1- PDA/paper at a camera to disable the bolt lights on a certain room.
2- Cut the AI control on said door either after #1 or after you yourself cut the bolt wires+bolt light.
3- Fucking take the remote out of the button.
This is kind of a crazy expectation for someone who has to go, you can't assume everyone who needs to go afk has the time to hack doors, write on paper and hope AI listens, or disable machines
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #586371

EOBGames wrote:
cacogen wrote:I still think there needs to be a code solution to going AFK that makes it harder to get at people's inventories. Locking yourself in a personal locker is stupid. Sleepers the HoS/captain can access, the crew can break into with effort and antags can access with the right item or ability would be better.
I made this in a PR a while back, it went stale and died because nobody wanted to merge it. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/49031
Part of me wants to steal your code and make it to my specifications and assume it'll get pulled but that doesn't seem very considerate plus I don't want to go down that rabbit hole.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #587054

We don’t see a need to make an official ruling on this, as its been handled in the past: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 71#p443871 .
We’ll leave it up to admin discretion whether or not someone is breaking the rules in these instances.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes, I think for the most part its pretty obvious when someone is just checking for antags, and that should be punished as its powergaming.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.