Multi-server observing for ghost rolls- Antag rolling or not?

CoffeeDragon16
Byond Username: CoffeeDragon16

Multi-server observing for ghost rolls- Antag rolling or not?

Post by CoffeeDragon16 » #584689

Now, I haven't noticed this to be much of an issue yet, but I'd like it to be discussed in case this becomes a bigger issue. I've noticed a player observing AFK on all four servers at once, going back in only to take antagonist ghost rolls. While I have no problem with doing this on one server, multiple comes off to me as excessive, and I would appreciate some thought as if to this should be ruled against. I think it's simply a dick move. It, in most cases, would be taking away ghost rolls from people who actually interact with the rounds or anything. I feel like this could fall under the direct definition of antagonist rolling, with 'This also covers any attempts to maximize antagonist probability.' I think if this catches on, it could end up being a bigger issue.
I'd like some thoughts here, let me know.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Multi-server observing for ghost rolls- Antag rolling or not?

Post by oranges » #584690

There are code solutions to this problem if headadmins deem it necessary
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #584694

If someone is in every server at once it's one of two things:

Multi tasking observational skills on par with an air traffic controller.

Or antag rolling.

Which is more likely?

There is no way someone is interacting on four servers at once as a ghost outside of an admin just listening for tickets or something.

Server hopping is hopping, not loitering.

Alternatively, the afk kick timer exists, and other solutions.
Hugs
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #584702

Yes.

You're playing on multiple servers without contributing to roll for antag. How is that anything besides antag rolling?
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #584705

oranges wrote:There are code solutions to this problem if headadmins deem it necessary
That being? Do we have code that prevents you from joining multiple servers period? If so, why is that a config option to begin with instead of being forced?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584708

Idling across multiple servers farming ghost roles is unfair on the players observing and shouldn't be allowed, obviously. Also it seems to me vilifying players who find antag most fun is a misguided way of dealing with the length of death and loss of progress it causes.
Last edited by cacogen on Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #584930

These kind of people should be permabanned so they can learn to function as humans in the real world instead of being plugged into the matrix.
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #584941

pugie wrote:These kind of people should be permabanned so they can learn to function as humans in the real world instead of being plugged into the matrix.
doctor broomtality with his janitorial drivel yet again
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #584944

Misdoubtful wrote:Alternatively, the afk kick timer exists, and other solutions.
the afk timer doesnt work

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Irad
Byond Username: IradT

Post by Irad » #585322

I think multi-spectating is fine. Sometimes, fuck all is happening on server A, why not spectate at B as well? Its always fun to watch nukies, blob or other good shit.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #585325

Irad wrote:I think multi-spectating is fine. Sometimes, fuck all is happening on server A, why not spectate at B as well? Its always fun to watch nukies, blob or other good shit.

Then just fucking disconnect from server A.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #585330

authors note: i FIXED the fact i was accidentally calculating an hour as 600 seconds instead of 3600 seconds, oops!!

i did some statistics gathering because i was interested in this subject, and i have put some of that data in a google sheets sheet.

the sheets below display a summary of all ckeys that connected in the past 30 and 180 days, with their flattened connection time, and the proportions of that which are made up of multi-server connections. more specifically it is showing per ckey:
- the total flat time (how long in real time they were connected to any tgstation server, multiple connections at once will not cause a multiplier)
- the total concurrent time (how much of the total flat time was spent connected to more than one server)
- the proportion of concurrent time as a percent
- a breakdown of proportions for increments of concurrently connected servers, 2, 3, or 4+ (4+ is generally speaking all of our servers, 2 would be like being connected to bagil and sybil simultaneously, etc)

it is sorted by the descending concurrent time

what did i notice:
- there are a few people who are connected to a multiple servers in any interesting amount, these are roughly 100~ people in the past 30 days compared to the 4250~ people uniquely seen in this period if we were to consider the 'interesting' point to be 1 hour of time connected to multiple servers
- there are a small handful of people who have a large proportion of their time made up of sitting in multiple servers at once, an interesting side effect of this would be potentially racking up a lot of time on statbus' ghost/living time stats, and scrubby's as well, as this time is effectively multiplied when on multiple servers
- this should not be taken to equal a person who is doing bad things, there may be a genuine reason for it (like admins) and it does not by itself constitute anything being done wrong, its really just an observation more than anything

you can find this data here!

disclaimer: this is a bit of an experimental query, so there may be hiccups but i think i got it reasonably accurate without any issues that i've seen

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown
Last edited by bobbahbrown on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #585331

Jaredfogle wrote:
oranges wrote:There are code solutions to this problem if headadmins deem it necessary
That being? Do we have code that prevents you from joining multiple servers period? If so, why is that a config option to begin with instead of being forced?
I think you're confused, none exist, but there are plenty of valid options to create
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #585334

a note to all people who looked at that spreadsheet before i just fixed the hours calculation because i accidentally divided by 600 seconds into an hour instead of 3600, woops!!

the numbers are otherwise the exact same (proportions-wise for example)

sincere condolences,
bobbah 'bee' brown

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #585337

oranges wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:
I think you're confused, none exist, but there are plenty of valid options to create
Ah, yeah I misunderstood--I thought you meant they exist now. ?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #585342

Doing it in general is weird and the only non-rolling reason is to try to abuse scoreboards so it looks like you’re at the top which is equally cringe, less game ruining.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Irad
Byond Username: IradT

Post by Irad » #585611

FloranOtten wrote:

Then just fucking disconnect from server A.
But then you do miss out when new things happen on server A - Such as a blob spawn, a tot muderbone etc.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #590559

Its effectively "antag rolling" for midround roles so if its observed to be a consistent occurrence for a player, it is bannable.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.