Delete #politics-containment on the official discord.

Swept
Byond Username: Swept

Delete #politics-containment on the official discord.

Post by Swept » #586876

Bottom post of the previous page:

Or at least ban admins from viewing it. It's a fucking mess 24/7 and makes me want to scrub my eyes with steel wool. Can't you people go to your meta-discords to jerk each other off over politics?

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28261

https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 53&t=27500

If you're an admin I implore you to take one for the team and nuke this channel. I'll personally gobble your glizzy if you do.
DON'T PLAY SPACE STATION 14
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Re: Delete #politics-containment on the official discord.

Post by iksyp » #587408

i apologize for any offense i may have caused and i was not aware these things had happened
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #587410

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25785191 - "Political Detox Week – No politics on [Hacker News] for one week (2016)"
dang 3 hours ago [–]

It made things worse and we ended the experiment after a couple days. I don't have links handy right now but may try to dig them up later. It turns out that there's no faster way to politicize everything than to try something that simplistic. Wherever the optimum is for regulating the intense pressures HN is under around this, it's in a much less obvious place.
Here is a fun read: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21607844

A lot of what they say doesn't fully apply to a site thats not hacker news, but still a fun read.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #587428

cacogen wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:if the problem is that we can't ban it because people would do it somewhere else anyways we should open an erp channel so people dont erp in the other channels.
Politics affects everyone. ERP is something only a certain amount of people engage with. It's better for them and everyone else if it's kept private. Talking about what's happening in the world shouldn't be banned if it happens to be political.

This whole thing is an effort to stop bad politics shitting up the place or taking root in an echo chamber. But no one can agree on how to define it so it can be done.
okay but neither of those things need to be prevented with a channel they can both just be banned with a no politics rule.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #587429

part of the problem with outright banning politics is that people tend to disagree on what is political to begin with and it devolves into semantics
ERP is just virtual sex which has no definitional confusion
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #587431

maybe we should ban people that argue semantics for ages
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #587432

Qustinnus wrote:maybe we should ban people that argue semantics for ages
>person says something that one admin thinks is political
>admin bans that person
>admin 2 thinks it was not political and that the first admin imposed their own semantic definition of "political discussion" in making that ban
>admin 2 bans admin 1 for semantics and then themselves
>mutual destruction is assured
maybe this is not such a bad idea
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #587433

only one admin will remain; an enlightened centrist whos only dream is to just, grill.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #587439

Qustinnus wrote:
cacogen wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:if the problem is that we can't ban it because people would do it somewhere else anyways we should open an erp channel so people dont erp in the other channels.
Politics affects everyone. ERP is something only a certain amount of people engage with. It's better for them and everyone else if it's kept private. Talking about what's happening in the world shouldn't be banned if it happens to be political.

This whole thing is an effort to stop bad politics shitting up the place or taking root in an echo chamber. But no one can agree on how to define it so it can be done.
okay but neither of those things need to be prevented with a channel they can both just be banned with a no politics rule.
Why throw the baby out with the bath water by banning conversation about everything political, even it's just recent events?

The problem is idiots and people acting in bad faith shitting up the place with exclusionary, fringe views they promote through misinformation and emotional manipulation. Why not just ban people who promote harmful views or act in an overly disruptive manner?

The false equivalency between regular political discussion and /pol/ just results in platforms that are trying to facilitate healthy discussion getting taken advantage of. Here we're talking about banning discussion of all things political implicitly to prevent /pol/ taking root and being disruptive.

4chan has been overrun with off-topic political shitposting, the vast majority of which is propaganda promoting alt-right views. It's not a matter of a difference of opinion. It's the site being taken advantage of while the administration does very little to solve it.

But we don't have much of a problem with that here from what I've seen. Servers like Hippie are more welcoming to the dumb and malicious. But if political discussion in its current state is a problem that needs to be addressed, solve it by identifying the problems and punishing the people causing them.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #587440

everything is political, the real problem is defining politics like Gamers :tm: do, which is "everything I don't like"
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #587450

Yeah I think it’s too hard to define politics. If we ban it it’ll still crop up and will just lead to unfair reinforcement of anti politics rules. People want to talk about it and nothing in the channel seems nearly as egregious as that which could be found in admin free hut. Also this thread is bad faith and clearly biased lol.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #587451

cacogen wrote:
Qustinnus wrote:
cacogen wrote:

Why throw the baby out with the bath water by banning conversation about everything political, even it's just recent events?

The problem is idiots and people acting in bad faith shitting up the place with exclusionary, fringe views they promote through misinformation and emotional manipulation. Why not just ban people who promote harmful views or act in an overly disruptive manner?

The false equivalency between regular political discussion and /pol/ just results in platforms that are trying to facilitate healthy discussion getting taken advantage of. Here we're talking about banning discussion of all things political implicitly to prevent /pol/ taking root and being disruptive.

4chan has been overrun with off-topic political shitposting, the vast majority of which is propaganda promoting alt-right views. It's not a matter of a difference of opinion. It's the site being taken advantage of while the administration does very little to solve it.

But we don't have much of a problem with that here from what I've seen. Servers like Hippie are more welcoming to the dumb and malicious. But if political discussion in its current state is a problem that needs to be addressed, solve it by identifying the problems and punishing the people causing them.
I think Rule 11 has done a lot to reduce the problem of /pol/ infiltrating politics
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #587484

I haven't read the rules
NSFW:

MortoSasye
Byond Username: MortoSasye

Post by MortoSasye » #587502

Remove it for a week, test the waters, and if it doesn't work just add it back in
Bella Rouge; no, it's not Rogue
NSFW:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #587510

Just ask them to take it to the containment Discord if it starts getting disruptive or heated and mute them if they don't.
NSFW:

IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #587518

I'm of the mind that #politics-containment is active politically because the existence of the channel enables political discourse, instead of acting solely as a place it's contained to. On the other hand, most of the time it serves to act as a second shit-posting channel. A good point to make is that the discourse and the usual suspects rarely leak outside of the channel. Most of the dregs got slaughtered by the anti-bigotry law, so the toxic factor really has been neutered to what I would personally consider as a manageable standard.

Honestly, it doesn't make a lick of sense to outright delete the channel on a whim. The exchange's cost vs benefit is skewed; If folks are right over it being harder to police politics, you traded a bargain bin containment channel for more moderation woes and headache-inducing enforcement farces. If they're wrong, the channel is deleted and everyone moves to #shitposts-general, with the political flavoring dissolving in the mix. The only thing being stood to gain here is that a select few no longer are troubled by the existence of politically-charged bickering.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #587696

IkeTG wrote:I'm of the mind that #politics-containment is active politically because the existence of the channel enables political discourse, instead of acting solely as a place it's contained to.
Yeah, this is a thing about containment channels. You create them to get some bullshit out of the main channel, but then the fact that they exist encourages talking about the bullshit you created them to contain.

This is a thing that happened on SA back in the mid-2000s, they created a drugs subforum to get all the fuckin stoner posts out of general, and ended up with a subforum where people were talking about taking literal crack and bizzare unknown benzos they ordered over the internet, like "trip report" threads where someone would ingest some mystery powder and say what happened, there was one where people were taking some shit then coming back like three days later like "I have no memory of what happened but I lost my job and my girlfriend broke up with me and my car is wrecked" and people responding like THAT SOUNDS GREAT WHERE DO I GET SOME
it was fucking surreal man and it was all because they didn't want "weed lmao" in main
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #587896

Screemonster wrote:
IkeTG wrote:I'm of the mind that #politics-containment is active politically because the existence of the channel enables political discourse, instead of acting solely as a place it's contained to.
Yeah, this is a thing about containment channels. You create them to get some bullshit out of the main channel, but then the fact that they exist encourages talking about the bullshit you created them to contain.
Ok, but it's still in the "containment channel". So long as it's hidden away and you don't have to go in if you don't want, why do you care?
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #587900

I don't really know enough about the concept of housing undesirable behaviour in a certain area of a community to prevent it becoming commonplace but I know a few years after its creation /pol/ started to colonise other boards and now it's the norm on 4chan. But I think this server has been trending away from 4chan politically since it began so it may not be an issue here. Hopefully that trend doesn't end up at a tumblr or ResetEra place.
NSFW:

Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #587903

cacogen wrote:I don't really know enough about the concept of housing undesirable behaviour in a certain area of a community to prevent it becoming commonplace but I know a few years after its creation /pol/ started to colonise other boards and now it's the norm on 4chan. But I think this server has been trending away from 4chan politically since it began so it may not be an issue here. Hopefully that trend doesn't end up at a tumblr or ResetEra place.
/pol/'s colonisation of the other 4chan boards is not due to them being a containment board, but because of a interacting series of factors including low moderation, filtering for /pol/itical radicals in 4chan's userbase and coordinated efforts by /pol/ to spread their political influence. In this essay I will argue
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #587905

Screemonster wrote: Yeah, this is a thing about containment channels. You create them to get some bullshit out of the main channel, but then the fact that they exist encourages talking about the bullshit you created them to contain.
So your issue with politics containment is shitposters like swept will use them as a wedge to get attention and stir drama. Maybe remove the shitposter?
Screemonster wrote: This is a thing that happened on SA back in the mid-2000s, they created a drugs subforum to get all the fuckin stoner posts out of general, and ended up with a subforum where people were talking about taking literal crack and bizzare unknown benzos they ordered over the internet, like "trip report" threads where someone would ingest some mystery powder and say what happened, there was one where people were taking some shit then coming back like three days later like "I have no memory of what happened but I lost my job and my girlfriend broke up with me and my car is wrecked" and people responding like THAT SOUNDS GREAT WHERE DO I GET SOME
it was fucking surreal man and it was all because they didn't want "weed lmao" in main
Yeah but politics containment isn't getting more extreme over time. If anything the extreme people are getting filtered out as they realize it isn't a place for them to nazipost/chinapost and the channel is getting more moderate over time. I think that's going to be the case when we've clearly expressed a hard limit (the bigotry rule) and the channel is frequently moderate by multiple admins and discord jannies.
Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

Post by Saege Tilth » #587918

The only reason this discussion channel wasn't removed ages ago is because people are tempted to push their ideas on others that have game master level or higher power. Honestly this discussion board no matter how you look at it, brings more negative than positive. People are too far left or right which means they'll never see eye to eye. The only purpose this board serves isn't to bring people together, but to let people rants and rave at each other until someone has to throw more fuel in the fire. It should either be deleted or there needs to be a place for left wingers, right wingers, and centralist (3 political boards exclusive to themselves).
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #587921

Saege Tilth wrote:The only reason this discussion channel wasn't removed ages ago is because people are tempted to push their ideas on others that have game master level or higher power. Honestly this discussion board no matter how you look at it, brings more negative than positive. People are too far left or right which means they'll never see eye to eye. The only purpose this board serves isn't to bring people together, but to let people rants and rave at each other until someone has to throw more fuel in the fire. It should either be deleted or there needs to be a place for left wingers, right wingers, and centralist (3 political boards exclusive to themselves).
Turning them into echo chambers is literally how you get extremism have you learned nothing from the last decade
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #587929

Screemonster wrote: This is a thing that happened on SA back in the mid-2000s, they created a drugs subforum to get all the fuckin stoner posts out of general, and ended up with a subforum where people were talking about taking literal crack and bizzare unknown benzos they ordered over the internet, like "trip report" threads where someone would ingest some mystery powder and say what happened, there was one where people were taking some shit then coming back like three days later like "I have no memory of what happened but I lost my job and my girlfriend broke up with me and my car is wrecked" and people responding like THAT SOUNDS GREAT WHERE DO I GET SOME
Remember when they temporarily renamed "The Crackhead Clubhouse" to "The Getting High Teepee?"

That was a fun week.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #587970

capn_monkeypaw wrote:
Remember when they temporarily renamed "The Crackhead Clubhouse" to "The Getting High Teepee?"

That was a fun week.
I think I missed that one, I never particularly paid attention to it other than when crazy shit was going on like the joose thing
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #588062

Stickymayhem wrote:
cacogen wrote:I don't really know enough about the concept of housing undesirable behaviour in a certain area of a community to prevent it becoming commonplace but I know a few years after its creation /pol/ started to colonise other boards and now it's the norm on 4chan. But I think this server has been trending away from 4chan politically since it began so it may not be an issue here. Hopefully that trend doesn't end up at a tumblr or ResetEra place.
/pol/'s colonisation of the other 4chan boards is not due to them being a containment board, but because of a interacting series of factors including low moderation, filtering for /pol/itical radicals in 4chan's userbase and coordinated efforts by /pol/ to spread their political influence. In this essay I will argue
Yeah, that's true. Their ability to cause disruption here will be based on the consistency and biases of the admins.
NSFW:

Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

Post by Saege Tilth » #588990

Politics needs its own category with specific topics about current events and not just people who seem to say everything is debunked in seconds yet have never taken the time to discuss it before hand with anybody. The mods are clearly bias against right wingers, primarily the American kind. It's a cultural prejudice perpetuated by ignorance from narcissist and psychopaths who had been indoctrinated to be out of touch with anybody that doesn't have it how they have it. You're attacking something that hurts nobody except your feelings. Politics needs its own category, not to be horded by the aristocracy.
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #589142

This thread got a bit derailed, and I think everyone has said their piece on the topic. Going to lock for now.