Let busy admins hand off ban appeals

XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Let busy admins hand off ban appeals

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #588731

Hello - linking relevant threads
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 34&t=28308
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 23&t=28395

I'm not going to discuss if the ban was "good" or not (In my opinion it isn't, if any other admin handled it there would be an unban or a reduction).

If admins can't handle a ban appeal because they're busy, it should be open for other admins to deal with in the same way they deal with retired admin appeals, instead of having the appealer wait until the ban expires and it gets immediately thrown into "resolved" because "It's a note appeal and it happened so it's a good note!".

Exact way to determine "Busy" could be anything from "3 days or half the duration of the ban without a 'I'll get to this'" or have the admins palm it off themselves (even if they say it on discord and not the thread).
Last edited by XivilaiAnaxes on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Let busy admins hand off ban appeals

Post by oranges » #588738

I agree, and I've suggested in the past that if an appeal is open for at least 2 days with no response from banning admin, any other admin should feel free to take it.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #588740

Generally speaking the banning admin was there for the situation and possibly saw it unfold and has all the context and what not, it's difficult to pass that picture on to somebody else and make a good decision in edge cases
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #588742

terranaut wrote:Generally speaking the banning admin was there for the situation and possibly saw it unfold and has all the context and what not, it's difficult to pass that picture on to somebody else and make a good decision in edge cases
Better something than nothing though
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #588744

Also worry that this would encourage admins to never answer their appeals if someone else will do it for them. I rather suggest that admins don't be slow to answer appeals because they're logging onto ss13 to make these appeals show up. obviously permabans and longer appeals don't need as fast as a response and as such wouldn't apply.

Do take this with a grain of salt since this is from the perspective of someone who is reasonably quick to the draw on any incoming appeals as I remain pretty active all the time, I get that many admins do it more casually or seasonally
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #588757

you shouldn't even be in a position to ban people if you won't do your due diligence afterwards, especially if you're logging in to play the game you're banning people from lmao
he knew the appeal was there and just didn't bother
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #588758

"busy"
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #588784

if you care about your bans but are too busy playing genshin impact then dont ban in the first place and resign
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #588886

Duty before fun. If you can't be assed to reply to a ban appeal, something that should take all of thirty minutes to do, then you shouldn't be adminning.

I like the idea of handing off ban appeals, but there would need to be a formalized process regarding relevant data and what the banning admin saw, and that would probably end up being the same as just replying to the appeal and handing it off to the headmins.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #588900

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:if you care about your bans but are too busy playing genshin impact then dont ban in the first place and resign
kek
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #590370

A reasonable time gate could be cool here. Nothing that's super long, like two weeks, but nothing that's super short so people don't have the time to handle them on their own like a day. As long as toes don't get stepped on and things don't feel forgotten, right?

Maybe something like a third of a bans duration?
Armhulen wrote:Also worry that this would encourage admins to never answer their appeals if someone else will do it for them. I rather suggest that admins don't be slow to answer appeals because they're logging onto ss13 to make these appeals show up. obviously permabans and longer appeals don't need as fast as a response and as such wouldn't apply.

Do take this with a grain of salt since this is from the perspective of someone who is reasonably quick to the draw on any incoming appeals as I remain pretty active all the time, I get that many admins do it more casually or seasonally
Also this.
Hugs
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #590379

Armhulen wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:if you care about your bans but are too busy playing genshin impact then dont ban in the first place and resign
kek
yes yes, well done tlal, well done tlal, HOWEVER thunder was playing /tg/station that whole week
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #590389

We've decided to take suggestions from this thread and go with the following: If the banning admin has not responded to the appeal within two days any other Game Admin may ping the administrator in regards to the appeal. If the banning admin does not respond within 24 hours, or just hands it off the admin may take over the appeal.
Additionaly discord bans may only be taken over by other discord moderators.
Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Domitius: Yes.
Naloac: Yes.