KiloStation Map Config Changes

Cartographer-D
Byond Username: SonOfSpace

KiloStation Map Config Changes

Post by Cartographer-D » #589254

Hi. It's me, mapper man.

I'd like to talk about doing two things to the config:

1. Adding a "maxplayers" condition to Kilo's config at 50 players

2. Removing Kilo's "minplayers" condition.

Kilo was originally advertised as a low pop map and given the size of its workspaces and departments, I don't think it functions well with a ton of players. I think a lot of the negative feedback stems around this issue. Limiting the player cap so that it doesn't appear during highpop should alleviate a lot of the current problems with the map. 50 players is probably its reasonable max.

On the second note, Kilo functions well with limited players so should always show up in rotation regardless of the number of players, hence removing the minplayers condition.

Inept would be okay with point number 1, and agrees with me on point number 2.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: KiloStation Map Config Changes

Post by Mothblocks » #589279

Just out of curiosity, what's the thoughts on the person who originally PR'd it? Inept (maptainer) +1'ing this is enough for me personally, but just wanted to see their thoughts.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #589327

Honestly I say make the pop limit even lower, like 40-45. Still much better than what we got currently.
[this space reserved]
Cartographer-D
Byond Username: SonOfSpace

Post by Cartographer-D » #589532

Jaredfogle wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the thoughts on the person who originally PR'd it? Inept (maptainer) +1'ing this is enough for me personally, but just wanted to see their thoughts.
I also want to see if his thoughts diverge much from mine. I'll ping him with a link so he can check this out.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #589537

We do have labels on the maps for pop
It would be cool to make use of them.
Vire
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Maurukas

Post by Vire » #589549

I agree with both points.

Kilo starts to strain at around 45 players, particularly if you've got very large numbers of assistants. I do not think it should be an option above 50. It is also an easy station to run at low pop, and I was surprised to find the configs had set it to 25-pop as a minimum.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #589914

I honestly think 50 is too much for Kilo. Maybe around 30-35? It's a great map, but it's way too small for anything over that pop.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #589921

I feel that 50 is the lowest the config should go. In my opinion it works fine at that pop level (I'd say it's fine at 60 too) and if you're looking to get into the realms of 30 you're looking at a map that can't run in most cases. If you set it at that level, there is very little point in continuing to support the map.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm not hugely in favour of restricting our maps mechanically, as with our limited map pool a map that can't run any considerable amount of the time is a dead spot. I support the config insofar as it is true that there's a point where Kilo is too small.

Kilo is, in my eyes, a comfortable midpop map which stretches to highpop. My insistence that the config go no lower than 50 is as below that point it's becoming more and more restricted from running at all.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler