Amend global forum/in-game rules to include doxxing

bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Amend global forum/in-game rules to include doxxing

Post by bobbahbrown » #593441

hello policy creators and readers,

i just noticed from looking at a relevant ban appeal that we don't actually explicitly mention doxxing in our in-game or global forum rules.

it's a given that it's punished, and rightfully strictly, but i can't help but feel for consistency sake it may help to mention the section in the discord rules within all three places we enforce rules. the section in the discord rules is as follows...
/tg/ Discord Rules wrote:7: Doxing and SWATing: Doing it, encouraging it, or joking about it will lead to a permanent in-game, Discord, and forum ban.
the relevant pages that i am suggesting we amend are found below

global forum rules
in-game rules (on wiki)

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Amend global forum/in-game rules to include doxxing

Post by oranges » #593467

I disagree, these are so obviously covered by rule 1 that writing them down seems ridiculous.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #593486

oranges wrote:I disagree, these are so obviously covered by rule 1 that writing them down seems ridiculous.
I agree, in fact all rules should be taken down because they are so obviously covered by rule 1 that writing them down seems ridiculous.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #593487

oranges wrote:I disagree, these are so obviously covered by rule 1 that writing them down seems ridiculous.
to this extent i may come to the conclusion that you are correct; i suppose i just felt we lose out on not emphasizing the severity of that specific thing, but maybe that is a bit overkill for something that is otherwise obvious.

with mixed opinions,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #593505

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
I agree, in fact all rules should be taken down because they are so obviously covered by rule 1 that writing them down seems ridiculous.
There's no chance of confusion with these rules and therefore no reason to list them, but good straw house
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593548

bobbahbrown wrote:
to this extent i may come to the conclusion that you are correct; i suppose i just felt we lose out on not emphasizing the severity of that specific thing, but maybe that is a bit overkill for something that is otherwise obvious.

with mixed opinions,
bobbah 'bee' brown
This is correct. The purpose of a rule isn't just to have an excuse to remove someone when they break it. It's also to sanction and condemn specific behaviours, and thereby reduce incidents of said behaviours occurring.

Case in point: "Don't be a dick" is much less condemnatory of doxxing than "Doxxing and SWATing are completely unacceptable: Doing it, encouraging it, or joking about it will lead to a permanent in-game, Discord, and forum ban."
► Show Spoiler
Gigapuddi420
Byond Username: Gigapuddi420

Post by Gigapuddi420 » #593553

I've never seen a ban appeal on doxxing that used the argument that it's not against the rules. Anyone banned for doxxing who wants to appeal it will always argue their actions were not doxx. Everyone intrinsically knows doxxing is shit and if it's confirmed you did it no one in the community will defend you. It wouldn't hurt to have it written down somewhere even if it's just a extreme example of dickish behavior but I agree with oranges that it's not necessary to list it; everyone knows it's a instant ban that will make you a pariah in most internet communities.
Imperfect catgirl playing a imperfect game.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #593556

Doxxing is one of those things on the internet that's so shitholey that even the people who do it know its wrong and they're not allowed to do it.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #593635

I agree with boobah
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #593637

I like it but I do really want the rules to be shorter :(
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #593642

People like bobbah, cacogen and Farquard are why bleach comes with a warning not to drink it
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #593727

Should they have put warnings on adminbus for you oranges?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #593731

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Doxxing is one of those things on the internet that's so shitholey that even the people who do it know its wrong and they're not allowed to do it.
And the OOC risk it presents is so much greater than any other rulebreak which is why it's one of the things that servers will mirror bans over

Like, if someone welderbombs the bar on paradise then who gives a shit, the worst case scenario is that they're prone to welderbombing for stupid reasons in which case you just ban them when they do it, no real lasting damage is done

Someone that's okay with doxxing and swatting on the other hand presents an active threat to everyone around them that can't be undone with a simple server reset so you can't afford to just go "oh let's wait for them to do it and then ban them if they do", you can't afford to wait for the harm to take place before punishing them

You can't "wait and see" on this shit, if someone doxxes or is okay with doxxing then you fucking excommunicate them from everywhere before they can harm anyone else
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #593751

oranges wrote:People like bobbah, cacogen and Farquard are why bleach comes with a warning not to drink it
1. You can't know for certain unless you try it yourself
2. I wanted to be contrarian
3. I wanted to call bobbah boobah like the meme
NSFW:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #593862

Screemonster wrote:
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:Doxxing is one of those things on the internet that's so shitholey that even the people who do it know its wrong and they're not allowed to do it.
And the OOC risk it presents is so much greater than any other rulebreak which is why it's one of the things that servers will mirror bans over

Like, if someone welderbombs the bar on paradise then who gives a shit, the worst case scenario is that they're prone to welderbombing for stupid reasons in which case you just ban them when they do it, no real lasting damage is done

Someone that's okay with doxxing and swatting on the other hand presents an active threat to everyone around them that can't be undone with a simple server reset so you can't afford to just go "oh let's wait for them to do it and then ban them if they do", you can't afford to wait for the harm to take place before punishing them

You can't "wait and see" on this shit, if someone doxxes or is okay with doxxing then you fucking excommunicate them from everywhere before they can harm anyone else
Exactly
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #593873

fyi this is already an official blacklistable offense, as stated by MSO during that time I got falsely accused of doxxing by a headmin
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #593905

oranges wrote:People like bobbah, cacogen and Farquard are why bleach comes with a warning not to drink it
Yes.

A warning label on a toxic chemical will reduce the likelihood that an ignorant person will poison themselves, even if only to a modest degree.

Likewise, a written rule against a harmful behaviour will reduce the likelihood that an ignorant person will harm another player by engaging in that behaviour, even if only to a modest degree.
Spoiler:
inb4 "lol if they were stupid enough to drink bleach i'm glad their ded"
► Show Spoiler
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #593970

This has always been an immediate perma and I don't think it really needs a rule to specify that. It's so obviously objectively evil that there's no question someone should be permabanned for it.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #594011

Vekter wrote:This has always been an immediate perma and I don't think it really needs a rule to specify that. It's so obviously objectively evil that there's no question someone should be permabanned for it.
imagine actually having to be told "don't commit actual real-life crimes against other community members"
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594021

Farquaar wrote:
Yes.

A warning label on a toxic chemical will reduce the likelihood that an ignorant person will poison themselves, even if only to a modest degree.

Likewise, a written rule against a harmful behaviour will reduce the likelihood that an ignorant person will harm another player by engaging in that behaviour, even if only to a modest degree.
Spoiler:
Interesting choice to try to defend this position. I'm drinking bourbon and bleach and doubting any need for a label.

In fact, I would like to add bleach to the game.
NSFW:

Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #594032

cacogen wrote:
Farquaar wrote:
Yes.

Spoiler:
Interesting choice to try to defend this position. I'm drinking bourbon and bleach and doubting any need for a label.

In fact, I would like to add bleach to the game.
meanwhile on polaris

Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #594046

While of course doxxing is gonna get you yeeted right quick it's not the only case of obviously perma-able offences that aren't listed.

Several for example would be using hacked clients, doing things to purposely lag out/crash the server, and linking fraudulent/phishing sites in ooc chat. If we started recording unacceptable malicious acts we would be creating a non-exhaustive list that would feel really redundant in the middle of our rules page.

To start one for something that I feel is obviously malicious like doxxing is unnecessary at best when coupled with our already bloated rules page.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #594150

add a rule that says "tracking down and murdering other players irl may warrant a temporary antagonist ban" while we're at it
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #594492

I don't really see any harm to adding this, aside from the fact that our rules page is getting pretty long as it is.

Could just add it as a corollary to rule 1, or even to rule 8 (since doxxing probably fits nicely under "creepy shit").
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #594494

Vekter wrote:aside from the fact that our rules page is getting pretty long as it is.
This is reason enough to not add it imo,
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #594496

1. Don't be a dick.
We're all here to have a good time, supposedly. Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character). Legitimate conflicts where people get upset do happen however, as detailed in the escalation section of the rules.
Going out of your way to seriously negatively impact or end the round for someone with little IC justification is against the rules, this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character).
this also includes harassing a player OOC (Out of character).
harassing a player OOC
bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #594503

i think people have said a lot of good things in this thread, and i suppose it may be counterproductive by making these two rule lists unnecessarily larger.

my thought process in proposing this change was to ensure that players understood that it's a very sensitive topic to even joke about, as we state in our discord rules, but perhaps as oranges and others have stated that may be unnecessary to state in our forum and in-game rules.

this proposal may be looking to find an issue where there is none, and to this extent perhaps it is best to close it.

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown