Config Change: Reopen Roundstart Suicide Roles

shadz
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shadowh4nd

Config Change: Reopen Roundstart Suicide Roles

Post by shadz » #596437

The PR was not deemed a valid place to discuss
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/57948

This is a setting within the server config - the other alternative is porting cryopods, which I'm open to doing.
Last edited by shadz on Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Re: Config Change: Roundstart Suicide

Post by Arcanemusic » #596438

I think this is a good change to the config. Leaving the round early takes up slots and job positions that if not dealt with quickly leave gaping holes in the station's capabilities. Having this enabled would solve the issue and also work around funny shifts where the crew suicides due to war/antagonists/etc.
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: Config Change: Reopen Roundstart Suicide Roles

Post by Cobby » #596439

Side-note this should be logged somewhere so if I wanted to see constant suiciding it would be readily available (auto-noting?)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #596440

I feel as if this enables suicides and it will become more of an administrative problem.
shadz
Code Maintainer

Post by shadz » #596441

Cobby wrote:Side-note this should be logged somewhere so if I wanted to see constant suiciding it would be readily available (auto-noting?)
Part of this config option allows for a command report to be sent each time it happens, it should be pretty simple to have some logging to admins implemented there.
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #596443

There is already a admin report that prints after the first 5 or 10 minutes into the shift, listing everybody who died or suicided.

Also, the wording on the configs is confusing, so to clarify for headmins who see this thread:

People who suicide before n minutes get their job slot reopened after the n minutes timer is up.

Its not that it works only on people who suicide after the n minutes.

Anybody who suicides after those n numbers are up would not lead to a job slot re-open
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #596444

I honestly assumed this was already on, it's a no brainer.
shadz
Code Maintainer

Post by shadz » #596447

MrStonedOne wrote:Anybody who suicides after those n numbers are up would not lead to a job slot re-open
Confirmed for being a bit confusing. This should be functionally changed (in my opinion) to be at any point in the round, instantly reopening the jobs.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #596451

wesoda25 wrote:I feel as if this enables suicides and it will become more of an administrative problem.
Like people who roundstart suicide give an f about what happens to the station afterwards.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #596452

The current “log” (is it saved anywhere?) is a text entry that isn’t available on an individuals notes or in a way that it’s per person instead of per round, which imo is much less useful (how often are you going to ask did anyone suicide on this particular round vs how often is this person suiciding across multiple rounds).

I shouldn’t have to cross reference their connection history and the logs of those rounds just to piece out if someone is antag rolling. In fairness I don’t, because it’s an absurd amount of effort for the offense.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Rhials
Byond Username: TheDuffelbag

Post by Rhials » #596505

shadz wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:Anybody who suicides after those n numbers are up would not lead to a job slot re-open
Confirmed for being a bit confusing. This should be functionally changed (in my opinion) to be at any point in the round, instantly reopening the jobs.
Having it open job slots for suicides at any point in the round rather than just at roundstart sounds like a bad idea. The intent here is to stop antag rollers from taking up job slots. If someone wants to leave the round via suicide after 30 minutes have passed, that's a different case than what this PR/Config is intended to address. If you want an in-round solution for this, just tell the Captain/HoP that you're going to go off yourself and that they should open a new job slot.
signature
-me

I've made all of your favorite PRs. Check 'em out!
shadz
Code Maintainer

Post by shadz » #596710

Rhials wrote:The intent here is to stop antag rollers from taking up job slots. If someone wants to leave the round via suicide after 30 minutes have passed, that's a different case than what this PR/Config is intended to address. If you want an in-round solution for this, just tell the Captain/HoP that you're going to go off yourself and that they should open a new job slot.
I see your point. I have just the solution for the other case. So, on this topic solely, my opinion is that we should implement this config change with the default time set to about ~5 minutes.