Rules Pertaining to Virology

Saege Tilth
Byond Username: Ulrichenstein

Rules Pertaining to Virology

Post by Saege Tilth » #596475

Introduction

In a recent round, another player who uses Sybil had become upset with a practice I had involving virology. I have access to virology as a regular medical doctor, but I would access virology to create my own virus that I like to call "Resistance 18". It's extremely easy to make, all the symptoms are neutered, and it prevents you from getting any bad viruses later unless an even starts with you having it or a sentient virus infects you. The problem with my virus is that it basically overrides all the work of the virologist unless they make a virus with a higher resistance. Because the virology made a virus that lacked maximum resistance, I was upset with the lack of resistance and upped it to 18, my favorite number of resistance for a virus. This DOES override the virologists work, but it doesn't permanently ruin the job of a virologist as I will explain before I go into the discussion of policy.

My resistance 18 virus has a cure for it and it's not a cure that is too hard to make. Anacea and modafidil only need very small units to make someone resistant to a virus, which can then make vaccines for the virus, even if the virus is good. All the virologist had to do in this case was cure themselves with anacea and make vaccines with an understanding of the low metabolism rate for players who take anacea and the toxic side effects while purging healing chemicals. After this, if people don't want resistance 18, they just take the vaccine and the virologist can make a virus not currently overwritten by resistance 18. Nobody should be getting forced to take the virologists virus into their body just because the virologist made it. No, I wasn't griefing the virologist and the fact that an admin approached me in an entrapping manner with presumptions that I was trying to anger the virologist, a player I've frequently played many rounds with and enjoyed playing with, made me slightly upset at how out of touch the admins are with the community itself.

Policy to Address

This entire situation can be completely avoided with a simple virology practice involving the making of a virologist as valid if they don't use specific practices. One of those practices is "transmission limitations". This doesn't in any way inhibit the play style of most virologists being that their "only positive effect" viruses loaded with negative stats for the virus itself can be easily overwritten by a dead body in medbay.

If for any reason a player is to do any of the following practices involving a virus rather in or out of the virology lab, then intentionally spreads the virus to others, they're valid.

1. If a virus has a transmission of 7 and over
2. If a virus has any non-positive symptom that isn't neutered
3. If a virus doesn't already have a vaccine readily available by the creator of the virus for players who dislike the virus

Refusing to take the vaccine is your own fault, but any of the other scenarios are on the player entirely.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Rules Pertaining to Virology

Post by TheFinalPotato » #596476

This is stupid
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #596477

This is absurdly stupid, and I'm not sure you actually know how virology works. You seem to imply that, whenever I get a disease, I should consult the virology spreadsheet to see if I can get a free balid or not.
If for any reason a player is to do any of the following practices involving a virus rather in or out of the virology lab, then intentionally spreads the virus to others, they're valid.

You can very easily make beneficial transmission-7 viruses, I do it every time. Having this as one of the "following practices that makes you valid" is braindead.
I've seen countless people use coughing or sneezing in their diseases to make it faster to transmit, while making sure they don't hit the thresholds to where it's anything more than a roleplay inconvenience. Making this make them valid is stupid.

Whether or not a virologist is valid is pretty much always obvious--it's if it's an actual bad disease. The bad symptoms are rather obvious, I don't need someone to tell me that a symptom that stuns every 5 seconds is valid. This feels like you just want a checklist for how to tell if someone is valid.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #596485

Imagine:
>Virologist, making the perfect beneficial virus.

>"Cool my job is done, hope the crew enjoys this new mix"

>Go to spread it. Nobody catches it because some twat medical doctor already infected them and you have to MANUALLY VACCINATE EVERYONE.

>Somehow convince the crew to come to medbay cure themselves of the waste of time virus so they can get badass upgrades.

>Infect the crew with your new virus.

>Some shitter beats you over the head with a toolbox because you didn't put a cure in the fridge.

Holy fuck. No other job makes you valid because you're a bonehead and you did it poorly, but you want to make viro valid for not doing it 100% perfectly.

Also "It's easy to make the cure :D" you want the viro to be valid for not releasing a vaccine when you didn't even bother to make said cure for your dipshit virus yourself either jesus christ.
Saege Tilth wrote:how out of touch the admins are with the community itself.
BRUH!!
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Saege Tilth

Post by Saege Tilth » #596486

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:>Virologist, making the perfect beneficial virus.
You're the only poster so far that's made a serious reply to some degree, which is a shame because now you've given the other drones something to copy and paste without context. Allow me to explain. If someone makes a "good virus" as you put it and it gets you killed in a fight because it was regenerative coma or it was one of the more useless ones like healing in darkness and it has an extremely low resistance, so bad viruses in the future can override it, you shouldn't have to go out of your way to deal with this mechanic. Sure, I can make a cure for the "good virus" I was given, but now I'm still susceptible to other viruses that might get made by small deviations the virologist creates.
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Saege Tilth wrote:how out of touch the admins are with the community itself.
BRUH!!
Acting like a brown noser doesn't make you any more likable as a person. This facade members of the community put on to fit in because they like social skills is part of many issues in space station thirteen in general.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #596496

I don't understand how your example of a bad situation (An admin assuming you're griefing the virologist instead of protecting the crew) leads to the necessity of your proposed policy (Make virologists valid to kill if they make diseases outside of your strict limitations).
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #596502

Let's not introduce SOP for virologists on an LRP server please. This is a terrible idea that's only going to encourage some assistant to cremate the virologist because ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* valid *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #596506

Introducing meta as policy doesn't sit well with me.

Requiring people to be perfect at their jobs doesn't sit well with me either.

Imperfection is just part of the game. This kind of thing would do more damage than good.
Hugs
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #596507

Hey, I was the admin who talked to you about the virus thing. Here are the relevant ticket logs for transparency :

Code: Select all

[2021-03-26 02:21:11.211] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): Hey lad, we need to talk about your usage of the panDEMIC and viruses in general.
[2021-03-26 02:21:23.502] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): Okay. What do you need?
[2021-03-26 02:22:51.782] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): Care to explain to me why you make viruses with all the symptoms neutered and then release it ?
[2021-03-26 02:23:11.766] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): It increases the resistance to HUGE levels which prevents shitty viruses from spreading during random events.
[2021-03-26 02:23:22.594] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): Makes it easier to manage event viruses
[2021-03-26 02:23:36.512] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): Are you aware that every time you do this, you murder the virologist's work ?
[2021-03-26 02:24:30.762] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): I'm aware if the virologist made a virus, rather GOOD or BAD, it makes their efforts pointless under "certain conditions". I'm not intentionally sabotaging virologist if this is what you're saying.
[2021-03-26 02:25:37.494] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): It makes their effort pointless, period. For example this round, your virus overwrote the virologist's healing virus.
[2021-03-26 02:25:43.733] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): what I did this round is how I've been playing for many rounds. It's nothing personal.
[2021-03-26 02:26:17.720] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): So what you're saying is no matter what virus the virologist makes, I should just blindly accept their virus?
[2021-03-26 02:26:43.172] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): I made the virus AFTER they made theirs and I didn't really like their virus anyway. I don't consent to their virus yet still have to take it?
[2021-03-26 02:27:23.461] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): If they where murderboning, they would have still had good time to send out a bad virus and kill me. I was locked in virology as well for 40 minutes. They had 40 minutes for their good virus to affect players on the station
[2021-03-26 02:28:00.793] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): Now on the other hand, if you just think I shouldn't make viruses or be a virologist, that's an entire different story all together. If you think I'm interfering with the round however by doing so, then I'll spot doing it if there's a virologist.
[2021-03-26 02:28:14.601] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): stop*
[2021-03-26 02:29:08.743] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): I'm happy that you'd admit to it. Going forward, I would like to ask you to stop doing that if a virologist is currently working on their own virus, as you essentially rob them of the only feature of their job.
[2021-03-26 02:29:41.809] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): I'm glad you understand what I wanted to say while I was typing it, ahah.
[2021-03-26 02:30:33.898] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): You're absolutely not obligated to blindly accept virus from viro, of course. You're always free to cure yourself and all. It's just that if you happen to destroy all of their work, it's kinda iffy for the player.
[2021-03-26 02:30:36.943] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry)->Cimika/(Kathy Ryals): okay then. I won't make viruses when there's a viro and ruin their virus. I will however make vaccines
[2021-03-26 02:31:06.339] ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Cimika/(Kathy Ryals)->Ulrichenstein/(Arron Danny Harry): That's perfectly fine, vaccines are a voluntary thing. Thank you for being willing to talk about it with me, I appreciate it a lot.
At no point did I accuse you of doing it intentionally to grief. All I asked was for you to not overwrite another player's work.

As for the policy, this is quite terrible. We don't force people to play a certain way, and I'm absolutely not interested in introducing policy that forces people to play their job a certain way.

Everyone has a right to make non-meta viruses. Everyone has a right to woops and make a less than ideal virus. Everyone has a right to try different virus mixes. Making someone valid for not following YOUR preconceptions about what defines a bad or good virus is an extremely poor idea. Being unhappy about a virus is easily fixable, get your cure and go do your thing.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Saege Tilth

Post by Saege Tilth » #596519

Sylphet wrote:Let's not introduce SOP for virologists on an LRP server please. This is a terrible idea that's only going to encourage some assistant to cremate the virologist because ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* valid *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
But wouldn't that be b-based?!

Cimika that's cool that you don't want people to have to have their hands held. One of the reasons I enjoy Sybil is that it's open to doing almost anything, but it does have limits to what those things can be. Cimika I'm not a fan of having my personality critiqued by admemes. I get that I should respect my co-workers in my department and that I have a habit of violating the NAP on many other players AO. The main reason I chose the use of the word valid over the use of the word "against the rules" is the same logic with the mime speaking. I'm completely okay with most gimmicks admins use until they use a gimmick that just strait up murders everybody in a not so funny manner like the bee queen that was almost funny if its chemicals where pax or something.

I feel that these little notes and niches you guys give to me is designating me for abuse from most admins and members of the community. I wouldn't care about it either with the same soft skin as MOST other members of the community present when they don't have things their way, such as the chemist Sandiego or the AI AMIGO who do occasionally valid themselves to do what they want in their roles and get overlooked many times. What I care about here is the long term prospect of myself on the server and this is not a threat of myself leaving. This is more of me trying to bring awareness to the fact that there's admins currently in their position to remove me all together and choose to do so on a populist basis (despite many instances I could bring up of "the teapot calling the kettle black"). This thread isn't an attack on you either Cimika. I think your Kathy Ryals character is cool and can't think of a single event you've had I didn't like.

Last notes here directed at this specific subject. Just because mime speaks doesn't mean they should be killed, yet I've seen mime get killed more than "friendly antagonists". Domitius asked a player on the discord yesterday "If you want to be friendly as an antag why do you have antag roles on". Friendly antagonist is never enforced to be non-friendly. You guys manipulated the games objectives for zombies just to give players incentives to play as zombies, yet for some reason I still see more mimes per capita for speaking than I see friendly antagonists that can't use the default language killed for being valid as well. In fact I've seen captains kill players for trying to kill valid antagonists. If I kill the captain every time this happened, you can bet that at this current track record, I would get a bwoink. Eventually now that others are testing the waters, I'll just be doing something as small of making an electrified grill outside virology when someone is bolt locked inside there for forty minutes as the Ilya player did, before I get permabanned with all these notes racking up, yet a single note has gone to AMIGA/AMIGO or the chemist Sandiego (or whatever their name is), and the funny thing is I never report these two. In fact I never report anybody because reporting people with ahelp is more likely to get you banned from my own personal experience than it is to get others banned for being shitters. This is why shitters still exist in this community, as if ss13 was a honeypot for shitters. Policy suggestions that can't change because of the posters reputation and not because of the merit of what they're trying to say means that policies that need changing by specific people who can recognize specific types of issues will never be changed. Not everybody who is merely treated as perfect by shit posters is ever going to see a majority of issues.

This concludes my portion of my comment which is meant to be on topic and now I present to you a rant about my experiences and observations that will be cherry picked with many double standards and ad hominems in response

Consider how many players have been banned throughout the entire coarse of the servers existence. Who does policies change for? The community to have fun? Imagine if you where to consider if players who where banned should have a say in policies in the community. Those players don't play on the server, right? I bet there's a handful of players right now that are banned for rules that no longer exist, but would remain ban with the admin mentioned quote of "being a shitter" and no other substance or context. Because nothing has substance or context and this community is an ideocracy that only recalls the time someone else said the same things completely out of context and uses that in strawman arguments, every little note you put on my record, including antag tokens, is one that looks rather bad to someone else who is going to make assumptions about everything. Obviously banned players aren't a "part" of the community, but does that mean a recently unbanned player shouldn't be allowed to make policy suggestions without ridicule? Are all these shit posters not violating the first rule of the server and not just the meme rule used as a scape goat by admins that had to use it to get what they want like mouth breathers? Is this not just a game anyway and people cherry pick when they decide to be serious or not despite the entire thing being something that shouldn't be taken serious anyway, even by admins? If the shoe was on the other foot for an admin, how would they react? Why are zero admins who have been selected given these kinds of test where they are purposely abused to see how they handle it? Because here, being admin bussed means you get the short end of the stick. An arbitrary situation which is artificially made by any member of the community can get others harassed and admins will never warn or twart people trying to derail topics or flame topics just because admins are taking part in it themselves. This is mostly the hosts fault because the only time they put their foot down is the same reason admins put their foot down, for brownie points from the shit posting majority. I shouldn't be getting notes for petty things like "they logged on with a different account once and this is its name" when that should be obvious being that IP addresses are logged anyway and the other account had 0 hours of play time. The note is literally just a label to keep newer members of the community from having a say in the community, yet most admins are completely disassociated from the community except the head admins I feel and a few good admins that frequently hold events. Nobody complains because complaining flags you for the inevitable notes and bans with most people acting stupid. If I hosted my own server, how many of you could imagine you would be banned? Head admins who are suppose to prevent double standards and favortism, specifically coconutwarrior, shouldn't be letting admins use them as a proxy to have a thread locked when their roles are presented as the admin of the admins. There was literally zero harm in both my policy threads you've locked remaining unlocked. You intentionally locked them to shun me from making policy suggestions and others have to play stupid to pretend this isn't blatant. Because most admins won't have the attention span to read this, a single person can state "this is stupid" and it dismisses the entire thread, yet when I got banned from posting in politics, it was over not reading the entire article I posted and not over what was in the article.

You guys act like some situations HAVE to have someone banned when in reality, you guys never ban people you don't want to anyway in most situations involving someone you don't know as the victim of harassment online. I don't give you permission to call me stupid, but I will say that if you keep your eyes and ears open, this website one day will get used as an example of "how bad" things where that this server is legitimately "the best" at this time of all servers for not harassing its community too hard, yet prevents players being targeted for harassment from being heard in any forums. This isn't a victim complex, but your elitist complex ignoring everything I've stated because you think you know better and some of you admit to not caring in chat on discord. When are the head admins going to moderate the admins? Admins need more organization as to the topology of the record of their decision making so that it can be highlighted when these admins aren't enforcing rules for specific players.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #596522

Saege Tilth wrote:
Sylphet wrote:Let's not introduce SOP for virologists on an LRP server please. This is a terrible idea that's only going to encourage some assistant to cremate the virologist because ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* valid *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Cimika that's cool that you don't want people to have to have their hands held. One of the reasons I enjoy Sybil is that it's open to doing almost anything, but it does have limits to what those things can be. Cimika I'm not a fan of having my personality critiqued by admemes. I get that I should respect my co-workers in my department and that I have a habit of violating the NAP on many other players AO. The main reason I chose the use of the word valid over the use of the word "against the rules" is the same logic with the mime speaking. I'm completely okay with most gimmicks admins use until they use a gimmick that just strait up murders everybody in a not so funny manner like the bee queen that was almost funny if its chemicals where pax or something.

I feel that these little notes and niches you guys give to me is designating me for abuse from most admins and members of the community. I wouldn't care about it either with the same soft skin as MOST other members of the community present when they don't have things their way, such as the chemist Sandiego or the AI AMIGO who do occasionally valid themselves to do what they want in their roles and get overlooked many times. What I care about here is the long term prospect of myself on the server and this is not a threat of myself leaving. This is more of me trying to bring awareness to the fact that there's admins currently in their position to remove me all together and choose to do so on a populist basis (despite many instances I could bring up of "the teapot calling the kettle black"). This thread isn't an attack on you either Cimika. I think your Kathy Ryals character is cool and can't think of a single event you've had I didn't like.

Last notes here directed at this specific subject. Just because mime speaks doesn't mean they should be killed, yet I've seen mime get killed more than "friendly antagonists". Domitius asked a player on the discord yesterday "If you want to be friendly as an antag why do you have antag roles on". Friendly antagonist is never enforced to be non-friendly. You guys manipulated the games objectives for zombies just to give players incentives to play as zombies, yet for some reason I still see more mimes per capita for speaking than I see friendly antagonists that can't use the default language killed for being valid as well. In fact I've seen captains kill players for trying to kill valid antagonists. If I kill the captain every time this happened, you can bet that at this current track record, I would get a bwoink. Eventually now that others are testing the waters, I'll just be doing something as small of making an electrified grill outside virology when someone is bolt locked inside there for forty minutes as the Ilya player did, before I get permabanned with all these notes racking up, yet a single note has gone to AMIGA/AMIGO or the chemist Sandiego (or whatever their name is), and the funny thing is I never report these two. In fact I never report anybody because reporting people with ahelp is more likely to get you banned from my own personal experience than it is to get others banned for being shitters. This is why shitters still exist in this community, as if ss13 was a honeypot for shitters. Policy suggestions that can't change because of the posters reputation and not because of the merit of what they're trying to say means that policies that need changing by specific people who can recognize specific types of issues will never be changed. Not everybody who is merely treated as perfect by shit posters is ever going to see a majority of issues.

This concludes my portion of my comment which is meant to be on topic and now I present to you a rant about my experiences and observations that will be cherry picked with many double standards and ad hominems in response

Consider how many players have been banned throughout the entire coarse of the servers existence. Who does policies change for? The community to have fun? Imagine if you where to consider if players who where banned should have a say in policies in the community. Those players don't play on the server, right? I bet there's a handful of players right now that are banned for rules that no longer exist, but would remain ban with the admin mentioned quote of "being a shitter" and no other substance or context. Because nothing has substance or context and this community is an ideocracy that only recalls the time someone else said the same things completely out of context and uses that in strawman arguments, every little note you put on my record, including antag tokens, is one that looks rather bad to someone else who is going to make assumptions about everything. Obviously banned players aren't a "part" of the community, but does that mean a recently unbanned player shouldn't be allowed to make policy suggestions without ridicule? Are all these shit posters not violating the first rule of the server and not just the meme rule used as a scape goat by admins that had to use it to get what they want like mouth breathers? Is this not just a game anyway and people cherry pick when they decide to be serious or not despite the entire thing being something that shouldn't be taken serious anyway, even by admins? If the shoe was on the other foot for an admin, how would they react? Why are zero admins who have been selected given these kinds of test where they are purposely abused to see how they handle it? Because here, being admin bussed means you get the short end of the stick. An arbitrary situation which is artificially made by any member of the community can get others harassed and admins will never warn or twart people trying to derail topics or flame topics just because admins are taking part in it themselves. This is mostly the hosts fault because the only time they put their foot down is the same reason admins put their foot down, for brownie points from the shit posting majority. I shouldn't be getting notes for petty things like "they logged on with a different account once and this is its name" when that should be obvious being that IP addresses are logged anyway and the other account had 0 hours of play time. The note is literally just a label to keep newer members of the community from having a say in the community, yet most admins are completely disassociated from the community except the head admins I feel and a few good admins that frequently hold events. Nobody complains because complaining flags you for the inevitable notes and bans with most people acting stupid. If I hosted my own server, how many of you could imagine you would be banned? Head admins who are suppose to prevent double standards and favortism, specifically coconutwarrior, shouldn't be letting admins use them as a proxy to have a thread locked when their roles are presented as the admin of the admins. There was literally zero harm in both my policy threads you've locked remaining unlocked. You intentionally locked them to shun me from making policy suggestions and others have to play stupid to pretend this isn't blatant. Because most admins won't have the attention span to read this, a single person can state "this is stupid" and it dismisses the entire thread, yet when I got banned from posting in politics, it was over not reading the entire article I posted and not over what was in the article.

You guys act like some situations HAVE to have someone banned when in reality, you guys never ban people you don't want to anyway in most situations involving someone you don't know as the victim of harassment online. I don't give you permission to call me stupid, but I will say that if you keep your eyes and ears open, this website one day will get used as an example of "how bad" things where that this server is legitimately "the best" at this time of all servers for not harassing its community too hard, yet prevents players being targeted for harassment from being heard in any forums. This isn't a victim complex, but your elitist complex ignoring everything I've stated because you think you know better and some of you admit to not caring in chat on discord. When are the head admins going to moderate the admins? Admins need more organization as to the topology of the record of their decision making so that it can be highlighted when these admins aren't enforcing rules for specific players.
holy shit there goes half of my brain cells
am gud enineering
scrungo
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #596523

Misdoubtful wrote:Introducing meta as policy doesn't sit well with me.

Imperfection is just part of the game. This kind of thing would do more damage than good.
I'd rather ban people that shit on other players and try to valid them for not being perfect at their jobs tbqh

"acting like an antag" is what makes someone valid for a lynching
"making a mistake" is not the same fucking thing as "acting like an antag"
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #596525

Saege Tilth wrote:

Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #596526

NikNakFlak wrote:
Saege Tilth wrote:

BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #596527

Denton wrote:
NikNakFlak wrote:
Saege Tilth wrote:

Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Saege Tilth

Post by Saege Tilth » #596528

Screemonster wrote:

I'd rather ban people that shit on other players and try to valid them for not being perfect at their jobs tbqh

You realize in the posted log, I was the one who would have been valid correct? And no, virology wasn't my job nor is the rule specifically directed at the virologist, but virology as a whole. If the chef got their milk and made virus food, then purposely fed a small virus someone had and spread it to the station, although chef would never be suspected, they would be valid and that wouldn't have anything to do with being as you put in such an elitist manner "perfect at their jobs". Of course you're going to go with the flow of the people around you. You have no power to do anything else and even demean in what to me looks like fear of social repercussion, yet try to put me as some kind of Nazi. Check yourself. The valid rule if you read my post, which nobody is it seems, would apply only to people who don't manage their transmission of their virus. I don't want to have to cure a shit virus virology made just because they don't want to make self respiration or plasma fixation. I would take plasma fixation any day over regen coma. Also players don't have to die just because they're valid.
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #596529

Saege Tilth wrote:Long post snipped
Hey, I took the time to read everything you said. I've already given my opinion on the policy you proposed, and I made an effort to explain it.

All I want to say about this long post is that notes are really not here to make you "open season" to other admins coming later to see them. As I've insisted on when we talked yesterday, notes are used to record conversations and rulebreaks. Notes will fade away with time, and old notes become irrelevant and oftentimes plain ignored as they are not relevant anymore to the player. Having notes isn't a punishment. Hell, I have notes of my own ! Some old rulebreaks, the occasional fuck up, and yet I still became an admin. Everyone have notes, even sometimes for the smallest things. A small note to indicate an old account doesn't brand you as a "shitter".
I have no shame in showing the bad notes I have :

I understand why you might feel this way, but I really would like to urge you to reconsider how you view administrative actions. Granted, not everyone is perfect. Anyone is subject to fucking up, and sometimes admins mess up too. You can always file a complaint if that happens, and I'll personally make sure that you don't get brushed aside because of whatever bias you may think people have against you.

On a finishing touch, I want to stress out that even if you don't see it, administrators DO take actions, and we try to promote and maintain a healthy game community to the best of our abilities. If you see rule breaks, you should ALWAYS feel free to ahelp. We WILL get to it. You're never going to be cast aside, no matter your track record. Granted, not every ahelp requires admin intervention, but we will just tell you and send you on your merry way. That is what I, and I suppose many others, have signed up for.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #596533

Saege Tilth wrote:
Screemonster wrote:

You realize in the posted log, I was the one who would have been valid correct? And no, virology wasn't my job nor is the rule specifically directed at the virologist, but virology as a whole. If the chef got their milk and made virus food, then purposely fed a small virus someone had and spread it to the station, although chef would never be suspected, they would be valid and that wouldn't have anything to do with being as you put in such an elitist manner "perfect at their jobs". Of course you're going to go with the flow of the people around you. You have no power to do anything else and even demean in what to me looks like fear of social repercussion, yet try to put me as some kind of Nazi. Check yourself. The valid rule if you read my post, which nobody is it seems, would apply only to people who don't manage their transmission of their virus. I don't want to have to cure a shit virus virology made just because they don't want to make self respiration or plasma fixation. I would take plasma fixation any day over regen coma. Also players don't have to die just because they're valid.
man who wants to lynch virologists for not doing a job perfectly accuses person saying he should let people be imperfect of elitism

"check yourself" how bout you check these fuckin nutz
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #596542

Saege Tilth wrote:Because most admins won't have the attention span to read this, a single person can state "this is stupid" and it dismisses the entire thread, yet when I got banned from posting in politics, it was over not reading the entire article I posted and not over what was in the article.
To be clear, I did read over what you posted. I thought the idea was dumb, just didn't know how to express it proper. For the record, I, as I often do, agree with mothblocks
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Mice World
Byond Username: Mice World

Post by Mice World » #596557

Saege Tilth wrote: If for any reason a player is to do any of the following practices involving a virus rather in or out of the virology lab, then intentionally spreads the virus to others, they're valid.

3. If a virus doesn't already have a vaccine readily available by the creator of the virus for players who dislike the virus
While this does just scream "me want free kill", I'll try looking at it purely as a 100% serious policy discussion.

Viro is already one of the more boring jobs (Sit by yourself for 10 - 30 minutes clicking bottles) and I don't think the addition of these rules will help.

Sure, you can just get the chemist to make pills with the blood. But why bother when you can just remove the middle man? This rule just removes the reward of playing the job well.

I don't see any reason for this to be instantly valid, It's pointless. If the symptom matters, you'll know.

"What's this? Viro made a perfectly fine virus that does nothing bad? Time to kill/ahelp them because they didn't have a cure ready."
I can understand making a cure and vaccine for regencoma or starlight but a cure for a self-resp virus? Why?
It keeps getting worse!?
Sometinyprick
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: STP

Post by Sometinyprick » #596581

The problem here is you wish to add another set of rules to a game that doesn't need more rules and not only that you are adding the worst kind of rules seemingly designed only to encourage valid seeking. It's not going to happen if you think the virologist is being a dumb retard you deal with that as is, how that situation plays out should be dynamic and not subject to rigid "Can I fucking murder him" rules.
i play leo bonhart, feel free to grief me
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #596657

How is preemptively making a virus as not-viro that requires an extensive amount of overhead work for a viro to do to be able to spread his virus (and limits it specifically to making diseases rather than responding to a potential miasma disease or something) in addition to preemptively hinders any antag virus by limiting it only to those who cure themselves of yours not breaking a rule? Because there’s a chance one can exist through the game and not specifically through a viro?

That’s gotta be pushing rule 4 at least, although really that just highlights how easy it is to game viro (shit subdept tbh)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #597804

We're not intersted in any of the proposed changes.