is the term "powergame" forbidden?

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

is the term "powergame" forbidden?

Post by ATHATH » #597775

MooCow recently got noted by a Trialmin on Sybil for saying "powergame" ICly, and according to them, it was very likely that a headmin participated in the decision to give him that note.

While I could see an argument for the term "powergame" being forbidden on Manuel, it being forbidden on the LRP servers seems just absurd to me. To me, it's like noting someone for saying "ocky icky".

If we're not supposed to call it "powergaming", what ARE we supposed to call it?
Last edited by ATHATH on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: is the term "powergame" forbidden?

Post by Armhulen » #597776

Is powergaming an in character term now? Ocky Icky is dubious slang but if you say "ooc in ic" in game that's still referring to an out of game concept.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #597777

yes its ooc in ic
[this space reserved]
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #597778

Call someone a powergamer in IC, get noted for OOC in IC
Call someone a powergamer in OOC, get noted for IC in OOC
► Show Spoiler
SuperNovaa41
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: SuperNovaa41

Post by SuperNovaa41 » #597779

ATHATH wrote: If we're not supposed to call it "powergaming", what ARE we supposed to call it?
Just call the player an asshole and then whine in OOC post-round like the rest of us
I am a maintainer for /tg/

I play Seth Scherer somtimes

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #597781

On one hand, gaming is an in-game skill and PWR Game cola exists.

On the other, power-gaming is a style of gameplay revolving around someone playing optimally and/or forcing others to play their game. Discussing a style of playing the game while also inside the game kind of breaks the fourth wall, right? Same as saying something about metagaming IC.

Why not say something like: "that guy is really kitted", rather than; "that guy is playing really optimally", "that guy is min-maxing/munchkining", or "that guy is powergaming", etc.
Hugs
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #597782

I just believe the term "powergame" is important enough for player vocabulary to at least be condoned depending on its use.

From a utility / efficiency standpoint, its a lot easier to say "x" is "powergaming" rather than saying "x" is gathering gear / items / assets. Yes forcing us to stand still for a lot longer and express what exactly "x" is doing is a bit more informative but a quick way to express that "x" is getting stronger overtime or has achieved a level of strength via their "assets" is not only more quick and convenient but the word "powergaming" itself is (I believe to be at least) a part of the ss13 community`s culture. Not to mention its referred to by the Pwr game vendor and drink which also express the ability to "boost up" people in their descriptions.

Also the word "gamer" has also found a few strange ic applications, sometimes people will use it interchangeably/instead of the word "based" when someone has done something cool or interesting, sometimes antags will tell other antags that they themselves are "gamers" in order to quickly say that they are also antags.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #597784

Hey, here's the log showing MooCow's use of the word "powergame" for context.
[2021-04-09 00:24:33.413] SAY: MooCow12/(Makes-The-Abomination) "and thats why i always powergame" (Cytology Lab (171,87,2))
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #597785

As for my own opinion, I think it really depends on the use of the word. Straight up saying "I'm powergaming." "He's a powergamer" etc... falls into OOC territory, in my mind. Using it to designate actual in-game objects like the drink, or talking about "powergaming" an arcade game is fine.

Overall, it depends on the context, it's one of those things we have admins for.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #597786

I remembered saying "and thats why I always powergame nanites" atleast in that specific circumstance I was refering to nanites because it was shortly after I was self revived by them.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #597789

saying powergame in the sense that "im powergaming (task)" is OOC, because you are referring to the job mechanics as a game.

saying powergame in the sense that its the drink doesnt make sense because the drink isnt called powergame.

saying powergame in the sense that you are playing DND ingame and someone is powergaming on that is ok.

If you refer to the game as a game, its covered as IC/OOC. Items in the game that are a nudge to an ooc concept doesnt mean you can freely talk about that OOC concept ingame without repercussion. If you saw say a round table and it had a desc "Space DND players prefer you call it a shift table" that doesnt mean you can refer to the shift as a round despite that being an obvious nudge to round/shift usage. Same with powergame or antag token, you are only allowed to talk about those concepts as they exist in the game (drink and funny coin).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #597790

I'm going to start doing it since I find the idea funny but you can call people "PWRgame addicts" and it'll deliver the message all the same, without having to make a weird "OOC in IC is okay because we need to use the term"
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #597796

The existence of manuel isn't suppose to sap roleplayingness away from the other servers.

Breaking the forth wall, or even hinting at the existence of the forth wall will always be banned.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #597799

MrStonedOne wrote:The existence of manuel isn't suppose to sap roleplayingness away from the other servers.

Breaking the forth wall, or even hinting at the existence of the forth wall will always be banned.
SuperNovaa41 wrote:Just call the player an asshole and then whine in OOC post-round like the rest of us
---
Armhulen wrote:I'm going to start doing it since I find the idea funny but you can call people "PWRgame addicts" and it'll deliver the message all the same, without having to make a weird "OOC in IC is okay because we need to use the term"
Reminds me of when I heard someone say "mega friends" to mean meta friends.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #597949

I prefer the fourth wall myself.

Forth wall is breached too often.
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #598199

Cobby wrote:saying powergame in the sense that "im powergaming (task)" is OOC, because you are referring to the job mechanics as a game.

saying powergame in the sense that its the drink doesnt make sense because the drink isnt called powergame.

saying powergame in the sense that you are playing DND ingame and someone is powergaming on that is ok.
Cobby is correct, "powergame" is OOC in IC unless it's referring to something that's clearly IC, like "killing all your crewmembers in Orion Trail to save food is powergaming" or whatever.
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Post by TWATICUS » #598205

i tend to say something like 'youve been drinking too much pwrgame' if im tilted enough to need to mention their playstyle in game
ImageImageImage
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #598212

Does 'powergay' count, because I'm gonna fight anyone who tells me I can't call myself that.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #598223

I want to see someone yell over the radio about "pwr gaming" now while chugging can after can of pwr game
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #598241

This is the most unnecessary policy discussion thread that I have ever seen.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598264

I'm glad this is still open so I can add my two cents
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #598266

What about saying something is a "power move". If you don't say "game" then it should be ok right?

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #598271

It's not the same thing but yes we do need an IC analogue so we can continue to cry foul when getting owned
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #598273

cacogen wrote:It's not the same thing but yes we do need an IC analogue so we can continue to cry foul when getting owned
Correct.

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #614087

Its OOC IC, so yes you will get noted/banned for it if you say it IC.
Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Jimmius: Yes.
Naloac: Abstain, on vacation.

Headmin Elect Vote:
NamelessFairy: Yes.