Congratulations, that hypothetical admin account hijack happened. Put some 2FA in already.

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Congratulations, that hypothetical admin account hijack happened. Put some 2FA in already.

Post by iamgoofball » #601033

Deactivate administrative permissions on accounts that are logging in under suspicious circumstances, pending a response to a security question. We can automate this, but doing it manually would suffice for now.

Mandatory criteria for suspicious circumstances:
1. Hasn't logged in for a time period, ideally a week, but a month at most.
2. Has logged in on a new IP address. No exceptions, even if the CID matches, because modern ban evasion tools can spoof a specific CID and due to other SS13 servers suffering worse security breaches to their database in the past, we can't verify that nobody doesn't know an admin's CID.
3. Has logged in on a new CID.
4. Is manually marked as "suspicious" by another admin.

This does not protect against RAT attacks, but will protect against social engineering attacks and "big company fucked up and now your password is leaked" attacks.

Require admins to verify their identity in #adminbus on discord via a security question of their choosing stored with headmins or MSO to regain their permissions. We can also script this into the discord bots and TGS3/4, so that admins could verify from in-game as well.

We have approximately 120 people on the admins.txt as per Statbus's listings at https://atlantaned.space/infobus/adminwho/ and every time a password breach occurs, we roll the dice for every one of these accounts that someone who isn't the account owner logs in and fucks with things during lowpop hours with no admins logged in, even in stealthmin mode, which happens frequently during dead hours.

This is no longer hypothetical. It has happened, as evidenced by the ban log.

All it takes is one person with a functional banning panel to fuck up an insane amount of bans, delete a bunch of notes, and cause a lot of havoc in the span of five minutes.

We are very, very lucky that these two dumbasses unbanned themselves instead of choosing to use javascript to automatically unban a very large chunk of the ban table before being caught.

A real attacker with sufficient time and preparation could have used the absolute trust we give administrator accounts to unban a significant amount of people via automation before being caught if they timed it right.

How soon can we expect /tg/ administration to take action? If you guys refuse, you're announcing to every bad actor we have in this community that it's open season on breaching administrator accounts every time some admin's Ashley Madison account gets compromised and sold in a password dump because the statistics prove a vast majority of users do not change their passwords, and that a majority of users share passwords.
Here's the results from a survey the CSID did!
https://www.csid.com/wp-content/uploads ... _FINAL.pdf
Here's some handy graphs from that survey!

That's 73 of 120 admins who use their BYOND password on Ashley Madison or Adobe or some other fuckin website that did a dumb and had plaintext passwords leaked as listed on haveibeenpwned.

"What if admins just have good passwords?"
Good passwords get cracked when they're shared with other sites.
Can you verify that all 120+ people on the admins.txt has a unique password for BYOND only?

No, you can't, not without asking for their password and that's unacceptable. Hence why we should use security questions as a method of 2FA.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Re: Congratulations, that hypothetical admin account hijack happened. Put some 2FA in already.

Post by PKPenguin321 » #601055

wyci
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Congratulations, that hypothetical admin account hijack happened. Put some 2FA in already.

Post by Mothblocks » #601056

oranges has suggested CID whitelists, and having admins (I forget which ones, exactly) manually whitelist other admins' CIDs if they change. I thought that was quite good. CID spoofing is possible but you need to actually get their CID in the first place, which would probably be something they'd try to get from social engineering you into a rogue BYOND instance.

It's all code, though.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #601057

If this was actually the first manifestation of admin account hijacking from password scraping I'd be inclined to brush you off.

The real problem is that this is not the first one of these incidents, meaning that the security measures admins are supposed to be adhering to and teaching new admins to adhere to are, to an unknown degree, not actually being followed/taught. Maybe goofball is onto something for a change.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #601059

I spoke with ninja and they recommended a verification system via the discord where admins can do like, "@verify terry" to verify on terry. The likelyhood of a combo BYOND and Discord breach is incredibly low.
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #601068

I don't think byond supports 2fa and banning new IP addresses is dumb because dynamic IPs are the standard.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #601071

A discord based 2FA system would probably work. Maybe have it remember the admin for the day if they log in unless it's on a different CID though? I reconnect sometimes due to poor internet and I'd hate to have to reverify every time.

The only sensitive information admins can get their hands on ingame is IP addresses, so I don't think this is a big privacy concern. If someone is willing to code it, I don't see why we shouldn't have a verification bot for admins aside from the 15 seconds of inconvenience it would cause said admin. It could save us a lot of grief the next time something like this happens.

It happened to lzimann a long time ago, it just happened again, and as the admin team grows, I don't see why it wouldn't happen again unless we enact some measures against it beyond telling admins to have gud passwords.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #601076

I really don’t want a convoluted process of logging into multiple areas because there are some people who haven’t changed their passwords. Perhaps a simple pin system when admins log through a new cid would be sufficient, and we ban dumb ones like 1234 and 0000 so admins HAVE to be a bit creative.

If we think these people aren’t very keen on picking up good password practices who is to say their discord pass and byond pass are different? Can we determine if someone has 2fa on? I’m not entirely sure discord is the way to go here since most of these hackings seem like opportunity arises from doodoo practices instead of actually forcing the pw else they’d go for headmin accounts or at the very least people with better access than an admin.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #601077

Cobby wrote:I really don’t want a convoluted process of logging into multiple areas because there are some people who haven’t changed their passwords. Perhaps a simple pin system when admins log through a new cid would be sufficient, and we ban dumb ones like 1234 and 0000 so admins HAVE to be a bit creative.

If we think these people aren’t very keen on picking up good password practices who is to say their discord pass and byond pass are different? Can we determine if someone has 2fa on? I’m not entirely sure discord is the way to go here since most of these hackings seem like opportunity arises from doodoo practices instead of actually forcing the pw else they’d go for headmin accounts or at the very least people with better access than an admin.
If we think these people aren’t very keen on picking up good password practices who is to say their discord pass and byond pass are different?
Yeah thats kinda the whole reason this happens, if their byond pw is the same as some crappy service they signed up to 8 years ago their discord pass is likely to be the same
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #601078

Cobby wrote:I really don’t want a convoluted process of logging into multiple areas because there are some people who haven’t changed their passwords. Perhaps a simple pin system when admins log through a new cid would be sufficient, and we ban dumb ones like 1234 and 0000 so admins HAVE to be a bit creative.

im looking at implementing the cid idea

best wishes,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #601079

This wasn't a hypothetical, it's happened before.

I should know.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #601081

1. Hasn't logged in for a time period, ideally a week, but a month at most.
2. Has logged in on a new IP address. No exceptions, even if the CID matches, because modern ban evasion tools can spoof a specific CID and due to other SS13 servers suffering worse security breaches to their database in the past, we can't verify that nobody doesn't know an admin's CID.
3. Has logged in on a new CID.
4. Is manually marked as "suspicious" by another admin.
answer a manual security question
Firstly, we have admins that play on VPNs. Secondly, we have admins that have dynamic IP addresses. If you did number 2, they would never get to admin.

To address point 1, a week? God damn. People go on week absences all the damn time. Get our permissions reactivated every time we're busy? Headmins would never do anything else.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #601101

If you can't type in discord "@verify terry" once a week or month you're being a whiny baby.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #601129

Most goof threads are a bunch of nonsense. This is not one of those threads.

If people are gonna be dumb with their passwords, then we should have something in place to help mitigate that.
Discord bot 2FA, some sort of whitelisting. Something. I am onboard with this and it should be a thing. There have already been too many instances of breaches occurring from bad actors.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #601144

iamgoofball wrote:If you can't type in discord "@verify terry" once a week or month you're being a whiny baby.
That aint answering a manual security question, is it?

I support 2fa, just don't make it a massive bother.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #601165

iamgoofball wrote:If you can't type in discord "@verify terry" once a week or month you're being a whiny baby.
you're not in the mindset of someone with poor password habits. If I have my byond pass as omegalol123 and a gmail account i made years ago with the pass of omegalol123, it's likely im

1) not using discord 2fa
2) dumb and have my discord password as omegalol123 too

to me it should be a code only that person knows and its built specifically so its impossible to recreate your omegalol123 password.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #601306

given that as the previous event's success has given this subject more attention than usual, its unsurprising that another admin's account has fallen to the same (assumed) poor practice of re-using passwords a few minutes ago.

the headmins should be encouraging the use of randomized passwords on admin accounts, a quality password manager like Keepass makes this process rather simple and is something that i personally have been doing for a long time without issue.

through the proactive (very easy) use of something like Keepass you can have a randomized string of characters as a password for all your accounts and not have any problems like this, assuming you don't let the manager get compromised. i recommend keepass for the fact that it is not something stored online unless you elect to upload the database file to somewhere for backup or storage. i personally combine the use of keepass with a Yubikey to make it virtually impossible to access the database without my physical key being present.

with best intentions,
bobbah 'bee' brown

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #601352

Aside from Keepass, I can also recommend Bitwarden. It's open source as well, but accessing your data across multiple devices is a bit easier.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601356

Denton wrote:Aside from Keepass, I can also recommend Bitwarden. It's open-source as well, but accessing your data across multiple devices is a bit easier.
here is a memory trick, Imagine yourself in a space your familiar with. In said space imagine a few things you have to remember put them on a surface in that space. Now when you have to remember it it is easier and no one else knows it except you(and it's free) also it can work with things besides passwords.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #601414

Discord does not require secure passwords.

Discord does not have a perfect track record with account security, or the security of the 2fa system.

Discord does not check passwords against the hibp leaked password list.

Discord does not provide us a way of knowing or requiring 2fa be enabled to do some bot function/command. (we can how ever limit moderator actions).

I do not get why everybody always falls back to discord backed re-authorization as the ideal automated way of doing this.

Me and moth blocks will be setting a system to require admins validate ownership of a forum account that is in our in game admin group to admin up from connection any time their cid or ip changes.

I'll look at 2fa for the forums, but im not too worried because the forums rejects leaked passwords for logging in, even if they are the correct password, and doesn't accept common or simple p@$$w0rds
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #601419

out of date phpbb forum with heavily modified php considered more secure than discord in 2021
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #601603

MrStonedOne wrote:Me and moth blocks will be setting a system to require admins validate ownership of a forum account that is in our in game admin group to admin up from connection any time their ip changes.
Oh dear
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #601606

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
MrStonedOne wrote:Me and moth blocks will be setting a system to require admins validate ownership of a forum account that is in our in game admin group to admin up from connection any time their ip changes.
Oh dear
and just like that, all the keys have fallen into my domain ?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #601611

but youre not moth blocks...
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601622

Jaredfogle wrote:but youre not moth blocks...
and who are you supposed to be big guy? Ill have you know I eat girls like you for breakfast when I cook them in my human meat soup so let me tell you non binary WHO ARE YOU? MOTH BLOCKS OR SOMETHING??
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #614091

Thanks to mothblocks' work we have a form of 2FA for admins now, thanks mothblocks.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: Yes.
Jimmius: Yes.
Naloac: Abstain, on vacation.

Headmin Elect Vote:
NamelessFairy: Yes.