Basil is, relative to all other /tg/ servers, dead. Can we shut it down or change it's codebase?

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Basil is, relative to all other /tg/ servers, dead. Can we shut it down or change it's codebase?

Post by iamgoofball » #608334

https://atlantaned.space/infobus/serverpop
The numbers don't lie. Why are we spending bandwidth, processing power, and money on a server that performs worse than most dead hub servers, with an average of only 15 players at the most active part of the day (2 AM UTC)?

It's clear we need to do something. Perhaps switch the codebase out, adjust the ruleset, or consider old yellering the poor server.

We haven't been designing for less than 30 player rounds since 2015, and rounds this empty just aren't enjoyable.
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Re: Basil is, relative to all other /tg/ servers, dead. Can we shut it down or change it's codebase?

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #608339

make it a battle royale server
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: Basil is, relative to all other /tg/ servers, dead. Can we shut it down or change it's codebase?

Post by Agux909 » #608340

Dangerous beehive to be poking.

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #608341

it costs nothing and you offered no credible alternative
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #608342

Piss off
[this space reserved]
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #608348

wesoda25 wrote:Piss off

MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #608349

oranges wrote:it costs nothing and you offered no credible alternative
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #608350

iamgoofball wrote: We haven't been designing for less than 30 player rounds since 2015, and rounds this empty just aren't enjoyable.
Did it ever occur to you that this might be cause and effect.

You can't have a high pop server without it first being a dead pop server, and if the code is poorly designed for dead pop, it will never keep population enough to get to high pop.

Where did you get this idea that you can just "not design for low pop" and that would work in the world of gaming?
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #608357

Return MiniStation 2021
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #608358

MrStonedOne wrote:
iamgoofball wrote: We haven't been designing for less than 30 player rounds since 2015, and rounds this empty just aren't enjoyable.
Did it ever occur to you that this might be cause and effect.

You can't have a high pop server without it first being a dead pop server, and if the code is poorly designed for dead pop, it will never keep population enough to get to high pop.

Where did you get this idea that you can just "not design for low pop" and that would work in the world of gaming?
i like to call it the cold start problem when dealing with similar multiplayer games and designing for smaller servers :)
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #608359

if < 30 rounds weren't enjoyable then basil would have 0 players, it still has a good set of people who choose to play there exclusively, as well as a handful of very dedicated admins (like richie) who are making it a place where people want to be

this is stupid and very capitalist minded
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #608372

make bagil MRP US
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #608380

who is responsible for the formatting of these charts i fucking love these charts these are such great charts
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Sacko
Byond Username: Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608385

Basil has a very dedicated player base and consistent admin activity. Low pop rounds are enjoyed by antag rollers whos odds are much better due to the low players as well as crewmembers who can usually do their jobs peacefully. However muderboning is always going to be a problem on low pop. Such a high admin:player ratio also means TC trades and prayers will always be answered on basil. Also 20 pop isn't completely dead. Tg will always have a low pop LRP server sometimes it will be sybil and other times it will be basil. It is no cause to opt for the nuclear option.
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #608399

Stickymayhem wrote:who is responsible for the formatting of these charts i fucking love these charts these are such great charts
he linked the source

Bytube
Github User
Byond Username: Bytube
Github Username: Bytube

Post by Bytube » #608422

Omegadark wanted me to tell you to eat shit

As for myself, I want to tell you to eat shit
world famous lizard lawyer
cSeal
Byond Username: O0cyann0o

Post by cSeal » #608423

ardentarclight wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #608424

I don't even play basil, but:
cSeal wrote:
ardentarclight wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Bytube
Github User
Byond Username: Bytube
Github Username: Bytube

Post by Bytube » #608432

Omega_DarkPotato wrote:
cSeal wrote:
ardentarclight wrote:
world famous lizard lawyer
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608445

Bytube wrote:
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:
cSeal wrote:
ardentarclight wrote:
From the Great State of Wisconsin. Visit Madison, WI this summer!!! Go to the capitol, and Olbrich Gardens, and the arboretum, and the Chazen art museum, and historical camp Randall stadium. For nice.
Dusty Exaliber
Byond Username: Dusty_Exaliber

Post by Dusty Exaliber » #608446

Sacko wrote:
Bytube wrote:
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:
cSeal wrote:
ardentarclight wrote:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #608457

is goof banned from goon or something why does he want it so bad here i dont understand
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #608474

15pop isn’t dead and NA pop has shifted between Sybil and Bagil over the years according to the people who have been around to see it.

As long as there are people on Bagil who enjoy Bagil, Bagil shouldn’t be nuked. As for methods to increase the pop, that would require some brainstorming. I think you’d need first an influx of players to TG to begin with, since otherwise it’s just pop moving around leaving gaps where it moves.

Maybe host admin events on Bagil so that people join for the events at least and maybe that’ll drive traffic. But Bagil is a cool place even with 15 pop, despite the cold start problem, nuking it is silly.
Spoiler:
Sacko

Post by Sacko » #608475

Sinful I am please to announce that I plan to host the talent show on basil now. Sorry sybil enough interest has been shown you guys will show up where ever I hold this yaknow? hopefully it boosts the local economy.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #608503

>Basil is super lowpop server frequented by a dedicated band of regular players with their own culture and playstyle, while outside individuals from the other servers want to shut it down/turn it into something else under the premise it's just dead weight otherwise.

Huhm, where have I heard this before?

With history wanting to repeat itself so much, maybe Longbowman will return soon...
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #608506

No
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
capn_monkeypaw
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Phuzzylodgik

Post by capn_monkeypaw » #609180

And six months ago Sybil was just as "dead."

Server pop is cyclical. You've been around here long enough to know this.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #609189

capn_monkeypaw wrote:And six months ago Sybil was just as "dead."

Server pop is cyclical. You've been around here long enough to know this.
We changed to new dynamic on Sybil about 6 months ago. That's a significant change which thereby impacted server pop.
lmwevil
Byond Username: Lmwevil

Post by lmwevil » #609193

FUCK YOU DON'T TOUCH MY BAGIL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa
Coconutwarrior97
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Coconutwarrior97

Post by Coconutwarrior97 » #614090

Servers change pops and player types throughout the years, no interest in pursuing this.

Headmin Votes:
Coconutwarrior97: No change to basil.
Jimmius:No change to basil.
Naloac: Abstain, on vacation.

Headmin Elect Vote:
NamelessFairy: No change to basil.