ethereal naming policy

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

ethereal naming policy

Post by ATHATH » #613669

N.B. Those two previous notes were from ages ago, and I had genuinely thought that our conversations about the name back then had ended in it being allowed. I have played the character since then on both the LRP servers and occasionally Manuel without issue.

Red is a perfectly acceptable ethereal name for an ethereal. There are numerous real life humans who are named Red, and they didn't literally glow red. Why is an ethereal choosing such a name such a huge stretch?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: ethereal naming policy

Post by Armhulen » #613671

Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing with ethereal naming policy so mine is simply have some roman numbers at the end or justify not having them with a good name
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #613672

Armhulen wrote:Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing with ethereal naming policy so mine is simply have some roman numbers at the end or justify not having them with a good name
but red IS a good name
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #613674

Literally just "Red" seems lazy and half-hearted. Doubly so if your mutant color is red.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #613680

ArcaneDefence wrote:Literally just "Red" seems lazy and half-hearted. Doubly so if your mutant color is red.
yea, i'd allow Red IV or something
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #613690

Armhulen wrote:
ArcaneDefence wrote:Literally just "Red" seems lazy and half-hearted. Doubly so if your mutant color is red.
yea, i'd allow Red IV or something
Yeah like least put a little effort no one will probably care if you do as long as it looks like you tried homie
Last edited by Misdoubtful on Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugs
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #613691

i personally hate the number shit in their names and Red sounds fine to me, i mean it's a name and the guy is also red so it makes sense that he'd be called that yeah
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #613693

100% I feel like the bar wasn't exactly the highest to begin with people make memes out of whatever name just as long as it's funny and/or makes sense
Hugs
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #613711

I think specifically for this case there's a worry here about the possibility of "red" being taken as another amogus joke way too easily.
Nobody wants to hear people screaming "red sus" if your ethereal named red is a traitor (or acting suspiciously near the atmospherics system haha vent get it laugh please)

That might be why Fikou's being harder on this case in specific as opposed to "general ethereal naming policy"
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #613715

I'm going to bring up the existing Ethereal Name policy for reference, available in this thread: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... al#p458937
Arianya wrote:
Nervere wrote:We're just going to stick with how ethereal names are right now, with a celestial body (minus planets) as the first part of the name, and one or two random letters as the second part of the name.
We'll see how this works out. I'll keep this thread open so we can get some more thoughts on the topic with ethereals now testmerged on Bagil.
Examples of proper ethereal naming conventions at the present moment would be:
Andromeda PL
Themis TR
Sol MV
Gamma A
Kepler C

I realize there's some really wacky/long/etc. names of celestial bodies that exist.
Keep your ethereal names reasonable/realistic and there won't be any problems. You may be asked to change your name if it's something ridiculous or stupid.
Ethereal naming policy is also on the wiki, stated as the following: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Ethereal
Their naming convention is a celestial body followed by two capitalized letters. E.g. "Andromeda XV" or "Jupiter EP".
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #613740

Omega_DarkPotato wrote:I think specifically for this case there's a worry here about the possibility of "red" being taken as another amogus joke way too easily.
Nobody wants to hear people screaming "red sus" if your ethereal named red is a traitor (or acting suspiciously near the atmospherics system haha vent get it laugh please)

That might be why Fikou's being harder on this case in specific as opposed to "general ethereal naming policy"
wait oh my god is that why Fikou hates the name

do people genuinely think that this is an among us joke
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #613744

ATHATH wrote:I had genuinely thought that our conversations about the name back then had ended in it being allowed.
I don't know how you would think this when i told you to follow the ethereal naming policy and left you a note (something that wouldnt happen if your name was good)
ATHATH wrote:Red is a perfectly acceptable ethereal name for an ethereal. There are numerous real life humans who are named Red, and they didn't literally glow red. Why is an ethereal choosing such a name such a huge stretch?
You aren't a human, you're an ethereal with a naming policy of a celestial body of 2 letters after that, if you don't follow this, "Admins may get involved if your name is dumb and can approve or disallow names at their discretion while in-game."
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #613756

Armhulen wrote:Nobody knows what the fuck they're doing with ethereal naming policy so mine is simply have some roman numbers at the end or justify not having them with a good name
that's plasmamen you dildo. Ethereals is capital letters at the end
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #613757

Also Ath I already told you Red is a super shit ethereal name and it does not fit the naming policy for them at all.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #613758

red is fine imagine caring
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #613775

Qustinnus wrote:
that's plasmamen you dildo. Ethereals is capital letters at the end
I knew XBIV was fake roman numbers DAMN
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613776

i cant even play my ethereal because some clown ass put in a filter that won't let me put his capital letters as "XD" so I had to name him Betelgeuse X-D instead
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #616171

A species appropriate name for ethereals is a celestial body followed by two capital letters. Enforcement of naming policy is at admin discretion but as long as your name is considered species appropriate it is very unlikely for you to be asked to change it.

The head admin ruling prior to this on ethereal names stated that planets were an exception to celestial bodies, we've decided that this restriction will no longer be applied and ethereals are welcome to use planetary names from here on out.

Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: Yes
Dragomagol: Yes
RaveRadbury: Yes