#reports-from-campbell-station Discord Channel

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

#reports-from-campbell-station Discord Channel

Post by Stickymayhem » #614562

So Campbell is very cool and experimental and I think we can push the envelope in very cool ways by embracing it. Right now rounds are extremely long, there are few players and so there's this odd but natural play-by-mail kind of system in place. People log on, do stuff to the station, then leave. I think campbell would benefit from a few more regular players and I think this forms at least part of a solution to achieve that. The best part is it requires no code.

#reports-from-campbell-station
A completely in character channel (To MRP standards) with 3-hour slowmode designed to be used for reports from the Campbell server by players playing on it. Player names (other than that of the poster) cannot be used in reports, but other descriptors such as job title are fine.

The idea is we get a trickle feed of IC reports from the round to an OOC channel, building up it's own little narrative, encouraging players to join to see what's going on, and even encouraging new ways to be antagonistic. Imagine building a second supermatter, then putting out the call to ask someone to keep it running because you expect it's going to need maintenance in two hours. Or a report saying additional medical personnel are needed after a disaster, or more engineers after a meteor storm. There's a lot of potential here for some fun back and forth. Maybe a traitor wants to lie in their report to lure personnel to the station they've turned into a death trap.

I appreciate that from an administrative perspective there's potential for abuse, but with the current population on Campbell, an adjustable slow mode to prevent flooding and the MRP ruleset making it very easy to punish dickhead behaviour, I think this'd be a fantastic experiment to try out, with minimal overhead and an easy off switch if it doesn't work.

I'd encourage you to avoid thinking of all the potential for abuse, and consider that the server almost never has more than 10 players, often has round ending rulesets removed, and is a great test bed for experimental features like this. The scope for real problems is really quite low, especially as every message is accessible to every admin everywhere. I'm happy to commit to monitoring the channel as well since I'm on discord all the time.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Re: #reports-from-campbell-station Discord Channel

Post by Riggle » #614566

I agree, a channel like that would be a great addition, at least in theory. If the three hour slowmode isn't enough, we could (somehow?) add a 1hr approval (delay) period so some time passes and the report is somewhat outdated. Screenshots would be especially great to have, since players could show off their giant project they've been working on, posting status reports.

How exactly do you imagine the report itself? Do players first (character's POV) or third (news reporter) person reports? Can they pick? Is it like a diary or more like a newscaster? Does everyone decide on their own?

I do have one concern -- how would we moderate true / false reports? Can only antagonists lie? Can everyone lie? What's the policy around that?

About the moderation: I could also try to help since as of now, it seems like I'm the most active admin on Campbell.
Last edited by Riggle on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #614568

Riggle wrote:I agree, a channel like that would be a great addition, at least in theory. If the three hour slowmode isn't enough, we could (somehow?) add a 1hr approval (delay) period so some time passes and the report is somewhat outdated. Screenshots would be especially great to have, since players could show off their giant project they've been working on, posting status reports.

How exactly do you imagine the report itself? Do players first (character's POV) or third (news reporter) person reports? Can they pick? Is it like a diary or more like a newscaster? Does everyone decide on their own?

I do have one concern -- how would we moderate true / false reports? Can only antagonists lie? Can everyone lie? What's the policy around that?

About the moderation: I could also try to help since as of now, it seems like I'm the most active admin on the server.
A delay would work, though it'd require some code or finnagling with a bot. Screenshots should be fine too.

The report should be from the character, but the character can write it however they like. If they want to bitch about the bar being crap they can do that. If they want a formal report on the station power and atmospherics they can do that too.

Anyone can lie, but doing so antagonistically would be punished like anything else (like yelling that random people are traitors or there's a revolution as non-antag with no justification) and lying randomly for no reason repeatedly would probably just get Rule 1ed. If the only reason for the behaviour is to make the system unusable you are not the kind of player we care to keep around anyway.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #614791

this sounds so cool! It'd definitely encourage me to log onto campbell once in a while
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #614803

Sounds fun to me. May encourage me to play Campbell every so often.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #614828

Cool idea. It will not, however, encourage me to play Campbell.
► Show Spoiler
technokek
Byond Username: Technokek

Post by technokek » #614854

Great another feature that requires discord....
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #616956

We'll be trialling the #reports-from-campbell-station discord channel for 2 months.

Rules for the channel are as follows (courtesy of Stickymayhem and Riggle)
#reports-from-campbell-station is an in character channel for reports from characters currently playing in the Campbell sector. It is intended as an asynchronous communication channel for Campbell crewmembers to share information about the current state of the station, or themselves. All posts in this channel are held to the standard of medium roleplay server IC communication. You are encouraged to use Campbell reports creatively, but it will be strictly monitored for deliberate attempts at powergaming or exploitative metacommunication.

-You may post once every 2 hours, and you may embed a single screenshot with your post.
-Screenshots must only include the game's viewport, and must be taken with your living character on screen, or via a camera console. We recommend pressing F12 to remove your UI for Campbell report screenshots. An example image is available below.
-You may not reference any character by name other than your own, but may refer to crew by their job role.
-Reports do not need to be accurate, but non-antagonists abusing reports to the detriment of the station or crew will be punished. Antagonists may freely post misleading reports for any reason.
-Videos are allowed, though must strictly adhere to the above guidelines and be no longer than 30 seconds.
Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: Yes
Dragomagol: Yes
RaveRadbury: Yes