[MRP] Having hulk/fireball for no reason should be considered powergame

Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

[MRP] Having hulk/fireball for no reason should be considered powergame

Post by Noodlecat » #615425

Nothing makes being an antag harder then random assholes being both immune to melee and having fucking wizard abilities for no reason at all. I have seen geneticists have this on fucking greenshifts, and yes this is an ided post, as i just recently had a gimmick ruined by a hulk fireball genetics main that has nothing to do but hunt valids. Honestly genetics is barely a job and should just be moved into another thing that scientists can do, as all geneticists can do is speedrun genetics in 15 minutes then validhunt
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Re: [MRP] Having hulk/fireball for no reason should be considered powergame

Post by Misdoubtful » #615442

Valid hunting geneticists on MRP go into the designated trash chute.

Is the magic of fireballs and hulk genetics content though? Sure is. Someone could argue at what point the person sees there is enough of a credible threat to warrant it though. That's just situational, right?

If someone is actively valid hunting this is covered though.

If someone is just attempting to power game and not give people the chance and be prepared just in case its also covered.
Do not powergame. Powergaming is gearing up or preparing in other ways to face an issue that is not related to your job and is not currently a credible threat
If you are not part of the security team (HoS, Sec officer, Warden, or Detective, sorry lawyers) you should not go out of your way to hunt for potential antagonists. You can defend yourself and others from violent antagonists, but you should not act like a vigilante if a security force is present
Hugs
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615450

Admins rarely ever call out the geneticist in question before the antag is dead and the admins refuse to give said powergamed and round removed by non sec a token because ToKENs aRe OnLY iF aN aDmIN meSSes uP(which i think is bs because they did not bewoink the geneticist with hulk/fireball and drake armor)
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #615452

I can understand that frustration.

It can be equally as hard for admins to know ahead of time just like people playing can have a hard time knowing sometimes unless someone tosses in a tip before things get real. Power gaming and valid hunting don't always get accompanied by bells and whistles.

Vigilance from everyone kinda saves the day here, yeah?
Hugs
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615459

But for real admins should give tokens to people who had their antag round ruined by someone who broke the rules
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #615467

It's just the sad state of genetics really, if you ban having powers from the job that has no gameplay but rewards you'll just get a job that has no gameplay and no rewards with a side dish of ban trap by not knowing you couldn't get combos of certain powers
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #615472

Is there some use for preemptively hulking yourself other than validhunting, wallbreaking your way out of people trying to kill you, and griefing random machinery/tables?
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #615473

Pandarsenic wrote:Is there some use for preemptively hulking yourself other than validhunting, wallbreaking your way out of people trying to kill you, and griefing random machinery/tables?
Is there really anything else genetics offers
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master

Post by Misdoubtful » #615475

Armhulen wrote:
Pandarsenic wrote:Is there some use for preemptively hulking yourself other than validhunting, wallbreaking your way out of people trying to kill you, and griefing random machinery/tables?
Is there really anything else genetics offers
Not a lot, it's just a sad neglected state of things for genetics.

That's why it would be so weird to turn such a small scope job into a minefield of ban bait.
Hugs
Drag
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thedragmeme

Post by Drag » #615506

I feel like this post is missing the context of your "gimmick". You blue space launchpaded unsuspecting victims then murdered them. No real escalation was present other than that on your part. The geneticist didn't use the hulk mutator until AFTER you kidnapped them.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #615522

Yeah. Geneticist here. Lot of things are unmentioned. I was unhulked, and then blue space launch padded after Crux type baited me over radio to get me to stop moving. I am teleported into a 1x1 room surrounded by walls, at which point I pull the hulk injector I had out of my pocket and break the walls down, seeing him in front of both a bluespace and an advanced camera console with blood on the floor. I start to punch him because I (correctly) believe he's going to try and kill me, and he scarp kicks me into a wall. When I realize he's a traitor and about to murder me, I slap him with a powered fireball and kill him. When I drag him out into the hall, I open a locker and find another corpse of a person that he'd done this to that he'd locker hidden, and so swapped them out to carry the victim. It should also be noted that neither I nor the person he'd previously killed were even his objective, so I've no idea why he did this. As for the other things, I had bone armor, not drake armor, and I got this after we had a fucking zombie outbreak on the station, which you also failed to mention.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #615523

Noodlecat wrote:Admins rarely ever call out the geneticist in question before the antag is dead and the admins refuse to give said powergamed and round removed by non sec a token because ToKENs aRe OnLY iF aN aDmIN meSSes uP(which i think is bs because they did not bewoink the geneticist with hulk/fireball and drake armor)
I actually did get bwoinked, by the way.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #615576

So this is an "ided" post where a murderboning traitor whines that geneticists shouldnt be allowed to carry tools that let them against his instant GG no re deathtrap that he uses on random people and lies about admins not handling situations. Fantabulous.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615585

Drag wrote:I feel like this post is missing the context of your "gimmick". You blue space launchpaded unsuspecting victims then murdered them. No real escalation was present other than that on your part. The geneticist didn't use the hulk mutator until AFTER you kidnapped them.
That was not even my gimmick, i was gonna teleport them into the freezer, they broke out of the launchpad room with hulk and started killing me, i defended myself.
AdhocSyn
Byond Username: AdhocSyn

Post by AdhocSyn » #615637

Noodlecat wrote:
Drag wrote:I feel like this post is missing the context of your "gimmick". You blue space launchpaded unsuspecting victims then murdered them. No real escalation was present other than that on your part. The geneticist didn't use the hulk mutator until AFTER you kidnapped them.
That was not even my gimmick, i was gonna teleport them into the freezer, they broke out of the launchpad room with hulk and started killing me, i defended myself.
My question is why you were teleporting random people around. Besides, you cannot fault someone for freaking out when they're teleported into a tiny room with no reason why.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #615666

AdhocSyn wrote:
Noodlecat wrote:
My question is why you were teleporting random people around. Besides, you cannot fault someone for freaking out when they're teleported into a tiny room with no reason why.
I got launchpad gimmick'd by someone once, they used the briefcase launchpad to teleport me into the showers, immediately proceeded to baton me, cuff me and then buckled me to a pipe underneath a freezing shower, while pointing and laughing about how "HAHAHAHA BEHOLD THE DEPTHS OF MY EVIL, THE CAT IS NOW DAMP" and went on about how evil they were. When I pointed out it was painfully cold they set the temperature to neutral, and then continued their evil monologue, before running off.

That was entertaining. If I got teleported into a 1x1 room I'd expect it to be a kill box and they're going to drop something hazardous on top of me, and if all they did was teleport me to the freezer, I don't really think I'd be particularly entertained, I'd just kinda wonder why I'm suddenly in the freezer.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #615676

Validhunting is defined as pre-emptively seeking conflict with antagonists.

Using whatever you happen to have to hand (in this case, a genetic injector, which is not a surprising item to find in the inventory of a geneticist) to fight back when attacked by a traitor is not pre-emptive, and therefore not validhunting.
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615679

I explicitly said powergaming, which is when you arm up for no reason at all to fight a potential threat(think cargo ordering mind shields roundstart)
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #615702

Noodlecat wrote:I explicitly said powergaming, which is when you arm up for no reason at all to fight a potential threat(think cargo ordering mind shields roundstart)
Firstly;
Noodlecat wrote:as i just recently had a gimmick ruined by a hulk fireball genetics main that has nothing to do but hunt valids.
Secondly;
Yulice wrote:and I got this after we had a fucking zombie outbreak on the station, which you also failed to mention.
I wouldn't exactly say it's "no reason at all".
Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #615766

I did not make the zombies yulice, and unless you made the zombies you has zero reason to assume that there were zombies
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #615769

whether you planned to teleport him into a freezer is irrelevant anyway

from his point of view, he got teleported into a 1x1 room without warning
he used whatever he had to hand to escape from that room - which was a thing his job might reasonably be expected to have
teleporting someone into a killbox is acting like an antagonist
using fucking sleeping carp on them is a hard tell for being an antagonist
you were subsequently treated like an antagonist after acting like one

maybe don't fuck with geneticists that aren't even your target if you're not prepared to deal with the possibility of them having hulk? Right now you sound like someone getting tilted that your headrev round ended because the QM "powergamed" by wearing his sunglasses.
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #615920

A reminder that this thread is about a policy discussion and not whether someone was justified in doing something IC or not.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #615950

Why not?

Med can stack themselves up with chems and it’s not powergaming just being good at the job

Viro can make a disease that makes it mechanically impossible for other advanced diseases to infect you, this is not powergame just being good at the job

Genetics can’t have powers though even though it’s their job to find and “experiment” with mutations?

I’m all for a conversation (well not really because we all agree already) about genetics balance wise or design wise but administratively genetics should not be an arbitrary exception to what people can do with the tools in their department.

This is assuming they’re not actually DOING anything with the powers like validhunting, they’re just on the person either with injector or manifested.

Also I’m tired of seeing every mrp thread have a guy posting about “actually on round 42690 you died and now you have a thread on the forum very convenient” it’s not an argument for or against the general policy and I’m just gonna report the posts.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #616124

Personally I do in fact think that it's very relevant when someone says "X is outrageous and a problem that's blighting the station" and other people look it up and find out that X never actually happened and the whole thread is just complaining that they died for being an idiot and wanting whatever they think happened to them banned.

Especially when the thread creator calls out said specific instance and declares it the general state of the station.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Screemonster

Post by Screemonster » #616136

if someone is actually validhunting then that's already against the rules re: pre-emptively searching out antagonists, if they are attacked by an antagonist (or someone acting like one) and retaliate/defend themselves with whatever they happen to have on their person, then that is not validhunting

as for "having it for no reason", the reason is that they are a geneticist and it's their job to fuck around with genetics

the main thing about validhunting and powergaming rules is that they amount to "are you going out of your way to prepare for and seek conflict with antagonists", with the "going out of your way" part being the most important
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #617375

Using a specific mutation is not inherently powergaming by itself, for what intention that mutation is being used matters more so. If you suspect someone is using mutations for the explicit purpose of powergaming then ahelp it and admins can investigate that instance.

Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: No
Dragomagol: No
RaveRadbury: No