[MRP] Untargeted PDA Bomb Spam: Murderbone or Legal?

CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

[MRP] Untargeted PDA Bomb Spam: Murderbone or Legal?

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #617637

It's a common complaint among players on Manuel that most of the time PDA bombs are used for very little reason. They're either just "I don't like these players", "Let's fuck over the entirety of Sec in one go despite the fact that I am not and will not interact with them" or "I'm just going to PDA bomb literally at random."

Should this be considered griefing and/or murderbone if done at random?

Personally, I'd say if it's purely random, it should be considered murderbone. You do a massive amount of damage, delimb the player, remove their ID, remove their PDA. I think if you PDA bomb someone you're going to capitalize on, and then click other random players to disguise it, is one thing. But the Scientist that's just sitting in Genetics, clicking names at random, and not doing anything or interacting with it in any way should probably be an issue.

But I'm also curious what everyone else thinks, so let's start a discussion.
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Re: [MRP] Untargeted PDA Bomb Spam: Murderbone or Legal?

Post by Aeri » #617638

I think the PDA bomb is just shit in general and I literally just try not to carry a PDA anymore unless I'm the captain (†immune to PDA bombs).

I also however, admire the fact that within reason, lone antagonists can do whatever the fuck they want.
Basically the issue in my eyes is with the PDA Bomb itself, not the users. If they made it so it doesn't destroy your ID somehow I'd mind a lot less.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #617642

I mean it's unlikely to kill so hardly murderbone unless you happened to be low health. It might be an attack outside of your objectives but it can cause some station wide damage if fast enough. I'd consider it sabotage.
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #617643

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:55 am I mean it's unlikely to kill so hardly murderbone unless you happened to be low health. It might be an attack outside of your objectives but it can cause some station wide damage if fast enough. I'd consider it sabotage.
In my experience it usually removes at least half, if not more, of your limbs, and still knocks you into crit while putting your ears in non-functional (though I am a Felinid player, on that front), is why I even suggested the possibility of murderbone.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #617644

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:04 am(though I am a Felinid player, on that front)
PDA bomb is ass, It's a code issue at this point, not a policy one(There has been a code discussion about it I forgot where it went.)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #617645

Reminder that:
killing someone who isn't your target =/= murderbone
► Show Spoiler
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #617646

Farquaar wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 am Reminder that:
This. Just bombing in general isn't murderboning and why I'm want to call it sabotage. I don't see why PDA bonbs are an issue when general sabotage isn't except that PDA bombs hit single targets at a time.
CMDR_Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #617647

Farquaar wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 am Reminder that:
No, but killing someone without any reason to is, which is why my opinion that it's fine if there's a reason to, but a Scientist just picking people out at random and not taking advantage or using any of the chaos or disruption wouldn't be.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #617652

PDA Bombing a bunch of people as a distraction and disruption should be reasonable.

I think it's totally fine to PDA bomb every head of staff as an MRP antagonist to cause a chaotic distraction while you go do the thing you actually want to do.

MRP does not mean "You have to try to do your exact greentext objective". You can create your own objectives and injuring crew as part of that should be fine.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #617721

Chaos is fun and cool it's not really murderboning it's an inconvenient result and sometimes you just lose.

Unless people just aren't for that, which I can understand for some people. Like for real a common stance is that it's not about the murder, it's about the rp and interaction related to it. Which is one I vibe with. I don't care if someone blows me up, just in the least try to make it part of some larger scheme of action that makes things interesting, or challenging.
Hugs
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #617771

PDA bombs are very useful and worthwhile for a multitude of situations. Whether it be a diversion, depriving people of access, or just as a stun/chaos causer.

The thing is, the Detomatix is kinda niche and a big buy already at 6tc. Once you use it, that's basically it. Most people will turn off their messenger when PDA bombs are called out, or the AI will shut down the server. Metagrudging is one thing, but I doubt random acts of violence escalate to murderbone. Especially when no murder occurred.

Really, what's wrong with me buying 3 Detomatix carts and dropping 12 people? That's 20% of the staff on highpop, for 18tc that I can't get any further value out of, and only IF they don't immediately turn off their messengers. In the majority of these cases, it won't even crit the victim. Is it a dick move? Sure. Will it make people mad? Of course. Is it murderbone? No. If anything, the mass rush to medbay, then the hopline gives docs something to do, and the HoP something to do.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #617805

We would prefer to leave this to the discretion of the online admins to decide whether or not using PDA bombs detracts from or benefits a given round.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Yes
NamelessFairy: Yes
RaveRadbury: Yes
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: