allow us to admin complaint bad events

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

allow us to admin complaint bad events

Post by iamgoofball » #619053

there is currently absolutely no way for players to get bad events dealt with that were ridiculously unfun because of a half a decade old policy saying we can't do the one formal thing we're allowed to do when an admin fucks up, which is file a complaint

we supposedly made it so button mashing doesn't count as an event, but frankly, i have yet to see this in action complaints wise

allow players to admin complaint bad events, the situation described in the OP of the no-event-complaints thread is long since gone because it's literally over 6 years old at this point
kieth4
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Kieth4

Re: allow us to admin complaint bad events

Post by kieth4 » #619070

Yeah, for button mashing it doesn't really feel you can do anything outside of leaving feedback which often gets nothing done.

On the other side having the ability to open admin complaints about events would lead to less admin events which isn't something I want so in that regard I'm actually against it.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619073

Button pressing spices up the round. Rounds without admins are generally duller IME than rounds with admins because of this.

They're "Gamemasters" for a reason - they're not just banbots but they're also there to help direct the round in a fun direction for players if they feel so inclined. I think allowing people to complaint them is a terrible idea and will discourage it. If anything we need more button pressing, not less.

Like all rounds, things won't always play out the way you want it to. When that happens as a result of an admin event, ided complaints will be created and become a massive headache for admins to deal with. Obvious abuse is obvious abuse, and I'd say wouldn't qualify as an event but could be filed as a complaint instead.
Spoiler:
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #619074

kieth4 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:45 am Yeah, for button mashing it doesn't really feel you can do anything outside of leaving feedback which often gets nothing done.

On the other side having the ability to open admin complaints about events would lead to less admin events which isn't something I want so in that regard I'm actually against it.
This actually seems pretty spot on. No one would want to do an event just for something unforeseen to happen and they'd have to eat the boot for it.

With that said enabling more event feedback would seem a better option.
Hugs
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #619337

Who would ever do an event knowing someone who didn’t like it is dangling having to deal with forum politics over their head. You just ensure you get the “PC” version of an event where nothing bad happens because risk of slighting someone results in a drama fest for the next 48 hours on top of the week of headmins finding time to actually discuss the issue

Besides nothing can beat the Stickymayhem event where he map edited a room for all the traitors to meet at (they have to or they get remotely gibbed no counter), someone spots them after seeing the obvious map edit lair, one traitor shoots them accidentally hitting sticky in the process, so the natural consequence of this is that the map-edited place explodes and any traitor, including ones that were not an issue but managed to survive the blast, just got remotely gibbed no counter. Legitimately the only time I’ve ever heard of a bad event, even the occasional button mashing can be palpable.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #619340

Cobby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 am Legitimately the only time I’ve ever heard of a bad event.
there was this one viewtopic.php?f=54&t=28886 which was meh but its whateva.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #619358

Cobby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 am Who would ever do an event knowing someone who didn’t like it is dangling having to deal with forum politics over their head. You just ensure you get the “PC” version of an event where nothing bad happens because risk of slighting someone results in a drama fest for the next 48 hours on top of the week of headmins finding time to actually discuss the issue

Besides nothing can beat the Stickymayhem event where he map edited a room for all the traitors to meet at (they have to or they get remotely gibbed no counter), someone spots them after seeing the obvious map edit lair, one traitor shoots them accidentally hitting sticky in the process, so the natural consequence of this is that the map-edited place explodes and any traitor, including ones that were not an issue but managed to survive the blast, just got remotely gibbed no counter. Legitimately the only time I’ve ever heard of a bad event, even the occasional button mashing can be palpable.
I've really enjoyed how your brain has continuously warped it into a better and better apocryphal tale of the dangers of events over time.

Your story now has about as much relation to the original circumstance as hansel and gretel does to a couple kids getting stabbed in the woods in the 14th century
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #619359

iamgoofball wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:51 am there is currently absolutely no way for players to get bad events dealt with that were ridiculously unfun because of a half a decade old policy saying we can't do the one formal thing we're allowed to do when an admin fucks up, which is file a complaint

we supposedly made it so button mashing doesn't count as an event, but frankly, i have yet to see this in action complaints wise

allow players to admin complaint bad events, the situation described in the OP of the no-event-complaints thread is long since gone because it's literally over 6 years old at this point
The situation described in the OP no longer exists because that thread and ruling eliminated the situation.

The problem is players, like all g*mers, are incredibly fucking selfish, short-sighted and dumb. When they get a bad experience from the video game they look for something to blame other than themselves. In a regular round, that's probably going to be RNG or other players. But as soon as an admin takes control of the round to any extent, now they have an omnipotent, opaque force they can blame for anything, and admin complaints get flooded as a systemic result.

Imagine if every time you played dungeons and dragons, and the DM messed up, there was a formal complaint process. Now imagine if a fuck up includes a player rolling a 1, or monster rolling a nat 20 and killing them. The complaint is still allowed to happen even though it was outside the DMs control.

We have so many restrictions and accountability measures for admins that this isn't a problem. We've deadminned admins by the fucking truckload for shitty event behaviour. Players do not have enough information to make a good complaint unless it's an extremely obvious kind of grief (like spamming meteors or blob or just buttonslamming hard without warning).
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #619479

Stickymayhem wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:34 pm
Cobby wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:36 am Who would ever do an event knowing someone who didn’t like it is dangling having to deal with forum politics over their head. You just ensure you get the “PC” version of an event where nothing bad happens because risk of slighting someone results in a drama fest for the next 48 hours on top of the week of headmins finding time to actually discuss the issue

I've really enjoyed how your brain has continuously warped it into a better and better apocryphal tale of the dangers of events over time.

Your story now has about as much relation to the original circumstance as hansel and gretel does to a couple kids getting stabbed in the woods in the 14th century
I wish i could search for the peanut post but it still makes me lol even when i am wrong about some of the details viewtopic.php?p=568958#p568958
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #619665

Cobby wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm
Stickymayhem wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:34 pm

I wish i could search for the peanut post but it still makes me lol even when i am wrong about some of the details viewtopic.php?p=568958#p568958
I won't lie phuzzy's wrap up post deserves a hall of fame spot it kills me every time
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #620098

Continuing the current ruling, you cannot open an admin complaint for an event hosted in good faith. We continue to encourage admin feedback threads as a place to complain about bad events.

Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: Yes
Dragomagol: Yes
RaveRadbury: Yes