Ban WGW

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Ban WGW

Post by Hulkamania » #619408

This stupid copypasta has been running its course for years now, and I think I only thought it was funny the first couple times I saw it, the rest was just a heavy sigh of annoyance.

This is a tg "tradition" that for some reason is the sole exemption to rule 8 stuff that would normally get you banned in any other context. It's a piece of smut written about an actual child and only exists for pure shock value, which it stops even effectively doing after the first couple of times.

There isn't much entertainment to be gleaned from someone repeated it for the 500th time in tg history, to have the unceremoniously deleted by the admins and sent to ghost chat while everyone moves on with their lives.

Not only that, but it creates an administrative dissonance when people can be punished for rule 8 but seeing people reading this copy pasta is allowed, particularly confusing for new players on the server.

It's a historic relic of tg's past and has a lot more to lose than it does to gain. Traditions are just people who no longer matter telling you what you can and can't do, and this one is something that can be put to rest at last.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Ban WGW

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #619411

Enthusiastic support.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #619415

Full support.

Every time somebody reads off smut into common chat WGW is cited to justify what they are doing. As a community we can still have silly traditions, lets not have kid fucking be one of them anymore.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #619416

Most stories involving pedophilia posted IC will get you banned, but this Special one gets you killed in game haha :)

Kill it please
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619418

It's practically bannable already and it hasn't been funny for years. I don't think anyone will really miss it.

A lot of people will probably be devil's advocate for it, probably for bad reasons, but even they won't really miss it.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #619420

Source that reading WGW is within the rules, except when used to spam:
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Rules
Rule 1, Precedent 2
Spamming any channel is not allowed, this goes for radio spam, AI vox announcement spam, paper at camera spam and other forms of spam. Non-antagonists doing so may not defend themselves and may suffer from IC or OOC consequences. Antagonists can to a certain extent, moreso with reading things like WGW over the radio, but may be told by admins to stop if it becomes excessive. Spamming can result from in-game admin intervention ending in you dying, to admin warnings, to bans for excessive or repeated spamming.

Additional source that reading erotica can be treated as an IC issue:
https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Headmin_Rulings
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12516#p327160
Lynching for erotica on comms: Lynching for reading smut, WGW, and spamming, especially on comms, is always okay. It also makes the reader nonhuman in silicon eyes. (PKPenguin321)

I fully support the removal of both the WGW execption from Rule 1, and the policy ruling that reading erotica in general can be handled IC as it tends to indicate doing so isn't a rule break.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #619423

Just make every reading of sick stories like WGW get the person killed by lynching or smiting, then banned.
That way people can enjoy the spectacle and the idiot gets banned afterwards everybody wins! (except the idiot)

That being said seriously just ban WGW.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #619451

I think you might be taking it a little too seriously and mistaking wanting to ban it for doing something of virtue. Rule 8 is meant to prevent ERP and sexual harassment. It's just poorly written and vaguely worded. Your time would be better spent fixing that. Reading smut over the radio has always made you valid to both the crew and the admins. It isn't an issue and basically never happens nowadays anyway.
► Show Spoiler
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #619466

Full support of the ban.

It's run its course already. Get it outta here.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
peptron1
Byond Username: Peptron1

Post by peptron1 » #619469

The only times I've found it funny are when someone says the first few words over comms and the next thing I hear over comms is the AI proclaiming "OH MY GOD HE'S DEAD"

We really don't need to keep it around when it's only vaguely funny 5% of the time, it should be bannable.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #619471

+1 just let it go

Cimika
Byond Username: Cimika

Post by Cimika » #619475

Full support for complete removal of any mention of it in the rules and make erotica reading a pure OOC issue. WGW creates an enforcement dissonance with the rest of the rules and needs to be sent to a farm upstate for good.
Queen of the 2020 Summer Ball
Spoiler:
From the legendary ShadowFlame thread :

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #619480

throw WGW out

embrace lusty xenomorph maid as the go to "read this to get killed" imho
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619483

I'm indifferent about the issue, leaning towards ban. But in the event that it is banned, I fear some overzealous admins might attempt a retroactive purge of all mentions of the pasta in-game or on the wiki. It was dumb meme, but it was meme that's a longstanding element of server culture/history. Merely acknowledging that it was a meme shouldn't be verboten.
► Show Spoiler
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #619492

add it to the word filter :)

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619508

While I generally don’t agree rule 8 is clear enough to be used to ban this awful copypasta, it should go just for the fact of it involving a minor. Let’s move on to something equally lowbrow but not with children alright?
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #619511

Andy's age is never specified in the text. Given events are clearly non-canon, it's perfectly feasible that they're taking place sometime during or after Toy Story 4 where Andy is a full-fledged adult. But in an alternate timeline where Andy never gave away his toys and his still living at home with his parents.
NSFW:

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619518

cacogen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 pm Andy's age is never specified in the text. Given events are clearly non-canon, it's perfectly feasible that they're taking place sometime during or after Toy Story 4 where Andy is a full-fledged adult. But in an alternate timeline where Andy never gave away his toys and his still living at home with his parents.
We need the tendiespost version of WGW for that to be cannon, for real though, it’s creepy and a stretch of good faith to assume that andy isn’t a child when most of his onscreen appearances are of him as a child
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #619520

Actually it's okay because andy is a 600 year old demon who just takes the form of a minor male.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #619521

also this doesn't need to be politicised in an attempt to make it seem far worse by linking it to children, you can just ban it under rule 1.
ELES
Byond Username: Eles

Post by ELES » #619548

oranges wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:14 pm Actually it's okay because andy is a 600 year old demon who just takes the form of a minor male.
Ah yes, the chinese cartoons gambit.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #619550

Will miss gibbing/deleting wgw spammers but this is likely for the best.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619556

oranges wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:15 pm also this doesn't need to be politicised in an attempt to make it seem far worse by linking it to children, you can just ban it under rule 1.
A genuine science fact
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619639

I won’t miss it but I will miss the funny “GEORGE WROTE WGW IN MAIN HALLWAY KILL HE” followed by public lynching and outrage. That was kinda fun.
Spoiler:
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #619722

This is such a stupid fucking meme to be freaking out about. You already have the means as admins to just nuke them for this, they get non-humaned by the ai when you read it and you get lynched right off the bat. Let's think about this for a few minutes, if this gets banned all it will do will cause abunch of people to start posting edited ss13 versions of WGW or as people have already said in this thread, other smut. I don't buy this "no no no its totally different because it references a fictional kid!" line of argument. Would you really have no problem if people just swapped out Andy for Andrew the adult of legal age? At what point is the library just gonna be removed and replaced with the space explorers job position.
Image Image
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #619724

Boot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 amif this gets banned all it will do will cause abunch of people to start posting edited ss13 versions of WGW or as people have already said in this thread, other smut.
this is really easy to work around. people still get bwoinked for dodging chat filters, and this is easier to moderate than chat filters.
Boot

Post by Boot » #619726

Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:55 am
Boot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:41 amif this gets banned all it will do will cause abunch of people to start posting edited ss13 versions of WGW or as people have already said in this thread, other smut.
this is really easy to work around. people still get bwoinked for dodging chat filters, and this is easier to moderate than chat filters.
I'd say that's part of the issue. Should we view all smut posted after a potential wgw ban as "evading the filter"? Should we also reflavor lube so it stops calling back to this dark history /TG/Station has of accepting child erotica? If the issue as Hulk has said is the actual children then would it really be evading the filter if you remove all mention of the child? If someone makes a clown and mime version of this ought they really get dinged for evading the filter?
Image Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #619727

If WGW loses its special case, then we can treat people posting WGW edits the exact same way we handle everyone else posting NSFW copypasta spam. I don't know what you're clutching pearls about.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Boot

Post by Boot » #619729

from my understanding WGW doesn't have a "special case". People who post it already get bombed from centcom and lynched.
Image Image
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #619732

Boot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 am from my understanding WGW doesn't have a "special case". People who post it already get bombed from centcom and lynched.
These are IC actions - people get banned for reading other smut in radio channels or out loud, which is the difference. (IC vs OOC punishment)
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #619733

Boot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 am from my understanding WGW doesn't have a "special case". People who post it already get bombed from centcom and lynched.
smut = warned and maybe banned

wgw = ic punishment most likely from admins
Cosmodeus
Byond Username: Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #619736

I support this, being that I'm not banned from the game itself like some others might believe. People who just want to fit in will copy and paste anything, so the hammer needs to come down on them gently. Don't just first time permaban someone. Jesus christ.

EDIT: Armhulen you might be out of touch with reality, but when you take your ritalin, you'll realize that WGW is smut.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #619737

wgw is smut BUT YOU'RE NOT GETTING BANNED COSMO THAT'S THE SPECIAL CASE
Boot

Post by Boot » #619738

OK I think I get it. Smut posting gets you bwoinked and lynched. WGW posting gets you lynched. Even if we start from this I think that there is something gained from being able make reference to this without getting a hammer dropped on you for filter evading yeah?
Image Image
Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #619740

Boot wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:39 am OK I think I get it. Smut posting gets you bwoinked and lynched. WGW posting gets you lynched. Even if we start from this I think that there is something gained from being able make reference to this without getting a hammer dropped on you for filter evading yeah?
The reason this suggestion is being made is people want to fit in by copying what other people do. What ends up happening is they'll post something not woody got wood in order to be original. This ends up getting them permanently banned. Because of this, woody got wood itself is something the admins want to remove from the community as a whole by actually punishing people for doing it and not just slapping them on the wrist for a single round as Armhulen is suggesting. By admins, I don't mean all admins. Some admins want to use it to pseudo ban bait people from the community when they try to be original wgw style.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #619746

i'm not "suggesting it" that is actually how policy is right now. It's like I have to reach over and correct each post you make like i'm grading your highschool essay
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #619748

can we still do the woody got finances copypasta?
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #619752

Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 am i'm not "suggesting it" that is actually how policy is right now. It's like I have to reach over and correct each post you make like i'm grading your highschool essay
No, you just need to learn how to use words to convey your entire message instead of leaving room for people to interpret it in numerous different ways.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #619768

i really shouldn't derail the thread further to plumb the depths of this retarded forum poster's mind
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #619773

Cosmodeus wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:47 am
Armhulen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 am i'm not "suggesting it" that is actually how policy is right now. It's like I have to reach over and correct each post you make like i'm grading your highschool essay
No, you just need to learn how to use words to convey your entire message instead of leaving room for people to interpret it in numerous different ways.
Fun fact: your message can be interpreted in numerous different ways.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #619836

Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:59 pm
cacogen wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 pm Andy's age is never specified in the text. Given events are clearly non-canon, it's perfectly feasible that they're taking place sometime during or after Toy Story 4 where Andy is a full-fledged adult. But in an alternate timeline where Andy never gave away his toys and his still living at home with his parents.
We need the tendiespost version of WGW for that to be cannon, for real though, it’s creepy and a stretch of good faith to assume that andy isn’t a child when most of his onscreen appearances are of him as a child
I was trying to take the piss out of debating the authorial intent of WGW, but it didn't come across.

It pre-dates Toy Story 3 and 4, but it shouldn't matter.

The humour derives from the shocking subject matter combined with the terrible writing. It was obviously written ironically with the intent to be humourous, not to promote its subject matter.

Creating a moral panic about the implicit age of the character is just a tactic to make it easier to ban.

It's obvious the admins only want to ban it because they personally disapprove of it or are offended by it. They're trying to justify that by saying it falls under rule 8. But people have been reading it over Common for at least 10 years. Rule 8 has existed for a large chunk of that. The only thing that's changed is how the admins feel about it.

Coming up with justifications to ban something you're offended by is nothing new. It's like boomer parents and violent video games.
NSFW:

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #619854

woody's got wood is a story for a different time. Take out its' special exemption and let it fade into the legends of ss13's wild jerkbag past where it belongs
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #619856

Not-Dorsidarf wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:29 pm woody's got wood is a story for a different time. Take out its' special exemption and let it fade into the legends of ss13's wild jerkbag past where it belongs
I'd unironically rather see it be replaced with a more modern and equally terrible copypasta (that isn't smut) than see it stay.

Crappy fanfics surely hold a special place in all our hearts, but just like it was time for Andy to grow and move on, so it is time for us. Onto new masterpieces of writing we must go.
Hugs
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #619921

family-friendly wgw
NSFW:

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619933

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:40 am A lot of people will probably be devil's advocate for it, probably for bad reasons, but even they won't really miss it.
Nobody is willing to actually argue that they want WGW in and think it's a good addition to the game, I rest my case
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #620013

I want WGW in and think it's a good addition to the game because the reaction from the crew is funny and it doesn't harm anyone
NSFW:

Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #620020

cacogen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:02 am I want WGW in and think it's a good addition to the game because the reaction from the crew is funny and it doesn't harm anyone
There have been two bans in the last week that involved WGW
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30299

is one, the other is your own.

In both of these the entire existence of WGW was used to justify peoples actions, and shows exactly what we've been talking about when we say it causes confusion around rule 8. The fact that you were directly involved in one these should make it more clear why this is an issue.
The other ban was quickly overturned but the fact that the incident occurs in the first place is evidence more that WGW being allowed leads to mixed messages regarding policy.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #620056

WGW has no special protections and can be treated like any other copypasta

For this reason we will be removing references to it in precedents and headmin rulings.

Headmin Votes:
RaveRadbury: Yes
Dragomagol: Yes
NamelessFairy: Yes