Disable Heretic in the config until it becomes less “murderhoboey”

The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Disable Heretic in the config until it becomes less “murderhoboey”

Post by The Wrench » #619491

Imagine being semi forced to Unga bunga round remove people for power. With the current state of LRP and the potential banning of lowpop murderbone, I say we purge one of the biggest threats to remaining in the shift. Being forced to murderbone and round remove for power =bad. Heretic bad, traitor good. Nuff said
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Disable Heretic in the config until it becomes less “murderhoboey”

Post by Mothblocks » #619498

Basically agree with whatever was said back in the thread for disabling heretic on MRP, because basically all of that applies to LRP too.

Heretic doesn't leave much room for gimmicks like traitor does, so you're incentivized to just murder as many people as you can, which is a bit lame.

Round removal is especially lame, equally as much on MRP even though it's not rule-breaky for antags.

I'll quote this message from Spookuni, since I genuinely believe all 3 of these apply to LRP as well. Emphasis is mine.
The main issues with heretic (in no particular order) as I see on MRP, though parts of this will be apply to LRP too are

1. Defacto uncontainability - Heretics gain access to an undisarmable pseudo-baton almost immediately, and the only easy ways to get rid of it is to dearm them entirely, to brainwash them with the E.P.I.C, or to mute them forever, two of which (E.P.I.C and genetics muting) are unavailable to security at roundstart, one of which (muting) dramatically cuts down on possible interaction between the captured antag and security anyway, and one of which (dearming) is basically just GBJing someone to a degree largely indistinguishable from locking them in a windowless room. This undermines efforts by security and the crew at large to non-lethally arrest and detain heretics, and promotes a kill the valid on sight mentality...[snip]

2. Automatic Round Removal - When heretics kill and sacrifice people they entirely gib their bodies, destroying any gear they were carrying and leaving their bodiless head in some dark corner of maintenance. Even in the absolute ideal cases this dramatically slows down how soon it is POSSIBLE to get people back into the round and playing the game, on a server where rounds can last upwards of two hours, and realistically once things start going to shit bodiless heads are at the bottom of the triage pole, and probably aren't getting revived at all. People as a general rule don't like being killed and round removed, even people who are happy to take a fall if it makes the round more interesting overall generally aren't too thrilled to get summarily yeeted from playing the game, and thus people push back at successful heretics even harder than with other antagonists, because a heretic being successful almost always means people are getting round removed, and that's both not fun to actually play...[snip]

3. Ascension is stupid - In hindsight having an antag who gets a murderbone pass for being really good at reliably murdering people was a stupid fucking decision. Ascension is too hard for new players to the antag type, requiring a pretty good idea of what you plan to do and how you plan to go about it to succeed, and is way too easy for experienced Heretics with a cookie cutter plan on how to make as many targets dead as quickly as possible so that they can stop bothering with targets and just kill everyone. I get that Heretic is a massive ripoff off cultist sim flavour and cultist sim flavour is very good flavour, but ascension in it's current format is just terrible, and needs either a massive rework to how it works or to just fucking go.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619499

I've had at least one incredibly memorable round facing off against an ascended heretic. It was already a sad thing that Heretic was disabled on MRP. Don't let LRP let itself become more boring too.
► Show Spoiler
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619505

In counter to that, I’d argue that being gibbed and removed from the shift is also boring.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #619507

Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 pm In counter to that, I’d argue that being gibbed and removed from the shift is also boring.
False. If nobody dies, then threats have no meaning. Imminent danger raises the stakes and makes the game more interesting.
► Show Spoiler
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619509

Farquaar wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:17 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:15 pm In counter to that, I’d argue that being gibbed and removed from the shift is also boring.
False. If nobody dies, then threats have no meaning. Imminent danger raises the stakes and makes the game more interesting.
Again, I’d argue the opposite, heretic you are railroaded into murdering the maximum amount of people in order to gain more power to murder more people. There’s a reason why changelings don’t gain more adaptation points for each person they husk (excluding another changeling) and why traitors don’t gain more telecrystals for round removing people.

toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #619512

Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:02 pm Imagine being semi forced to Unga bunga round remove people for power. With the current state of LRP and the potential banning of lowpop murderbone, I say we purge one of the biggest threats to remaining in the shift. Being forced to murderbone and round remove for power =bad. Heretic bad, traitor good. Nuff said
theres nothing wrong with murderboning/round removing. it creates conflict, which is far more interesting than some friendly gimmick or stealth antag that just silently does his objectives
The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619513

thomanthewise5404 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm
Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:02 pm Imagine being semi forced to Unga bunga round remove people for power. With the current state of LRP and the potential banning of lowpop murderbone, I say we purge one of the biggest threats to remaining in the shift. Being forced to murderbone and round remove for power =bad. Heretic bad, traitor good. Nuff said
theres nothing wrong with murderboning/round removing. it creates conflict, which is far more interesting than some friendly gimmick or stealth antag that just silently does his objectives
I don’t believe just wanting to do your job and then getting gibbed by funny man so he can increase his murderbone powers is fun for the person getting gibbed.

toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #619515

Adam Klein wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:54 pm
thomanthewise5404 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 pm
I don’t believe just wanting to do your job and then getting gibbed by funny man so he can increase his murderbone powers is fun for the person getting gibbed.
Then close the game. This is not a job simulator.
Redrover1760
Byond Username: Redrover1760

Post by Redrover1760 » #619517

This solves no issues and simply removes a whole antag instead of trying to fix it and make it better. Coder logic at its finest.

Go next.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619522

Round removal or murderboning isn't against the rules, requiring them by virtue of the antagonist itself is lame. Better to let people actually decide their gimmick as a traitor.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #619524

Heretic has a great thematic, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. I've noticed that most heretics forego doing objectives completely, perhaps giving another alternate way of getting points from a series of objectives given to you would allieviate the amount of round removal, although this would require some point-reshuffling

The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #619529

Maybe that would work, but either way, that still doesn’t change the fact that heretic doesn’t give you the type of freedom that other antagonists do. It’s railroaded into contractor style gameplay, but the people who you catch never come back

datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #619530

Hell no. Heretic is awesome on LRP. If you're mad about getting gibbed, you can play a ghost role, wait for a midround antag, hang out and observe, server hop, or just... play another game? We do have a lot of features designed specifically for people who are dead for a long time and bored.
Also, you can definitely roll around as a heretic without gibbing people; you just need a bit of luck. It'd maybe be a little more fun if there was a hard limit on the number of heretics that can spawn in a single round, so we don't have multiple people competing for the same resources and being forced to resort to murderboning to get their power.
You can also do fun gimmicks, even while being "required" to murderbone.
As an example, I recently managed to get lucky and get several influences as a void heretic clown, and ran around selling my heretic potions/gear for money instead of killing people. I sourced all my ingredients by breaking into the morgue and using monkeys.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619532

The primary objective of heretic is to ascend, which is not possible without gibbing several people, considering how infrequent realities are (which had to be lowered a long time ago).

What gimmicks you can do as heretic are paltry compared to what you can do with traitor, which is a lot easier to design with considering how vast the uplink is.

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #619535

I think it’s fine but imo gameplay differences between MRP and LRP should be addressed sooner than later. Would rather just see code changes.
[this space reserved]
datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #619536

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 am The primary objective of heretic is to ascend, which is not possible without gibbing several people, considering how infrequent realities are (which had to be lowered a long time ago).
If heretic gibbing people is a problem, undo this change so that they have to gib less people? There are ways to adjust heretic without removing it from the game.
What gimmicks you can do as heretic are paltry compared to what you can do with traitor, which is a lot easier to design with considering how vast the uplink is.
Yes. There are a couple of reasons for this: one, heretic is harder to design for given its paths system. Two, it is a much newer antagonist than traitor. Traitor has been in the game since almost the beginning. It is ancient and easier to design for.
There are other antagonists in the game that greatly enable murderboning and it's a pretty common occurrence. I don't see why heretic in particular should receive hate for it.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619537

Code changes haven't been made for heretic, despite several calls for it. The scope then moves into policy discussion until anything is done to change how dreadful it is to play with.

datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #619539

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:40 am Code changes haven't been made for heretic, despite several calls for it. The scope then moves into policy discussion until anything is done to change how dreadful it is to play with.
While i'm not a coder, adjusting the number of rifts per round seems like a simple change. More rifts should give them less of a reliance on gibbing people.
Speaking from personal experience, I often don't end up gibbing anyone during a normal round of heretic. I'm not very good with it and it's rare enough to make hunting a little stressful.
Anyway, I don't see a major difference between george melons breaking into my workplace with an esword and telebaton and killing me, versus him breaking into my workplace with a funny hand and a curved knife and killing me. Both times, i'm likely to end up dead for the rest of the round.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619544

While i'm not a coder, adjusting the number of rifts per round seems like a simple change. More rifts should give them less of a reliance on gibbing people.
They used to have more rifts, and that just led to ascensions coming quicker, whose only purpose then is to murderbone again.
Anyway, I don't see a major difference between george melons breaking into my workplace with an esword and telebaton and killing me, versus him breaking into my workplace with a funny hand and a curved knife and killing me.
Traitor's sole reason for existence is not to murderbone and round-remove, heretics reason for existence is.

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #619545

Code issue. This is how it's been done in the past though so eh, give people time to save it if they want to
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Post by Archie700 » #619546

ardentarclight wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:29 pm Heretic has a great thematic, and I'd hate to see it go to waste. I've noticed that most heretics forego doing objectives completely, perhaps giving another alternate way of getting points from a series of objectives given to you would allieviate the amount of round removal, although this would require some point-reshuffling
Most heretics forgo objectives because if you ascend, you greentext regardless of how many objectives you completed and the objectives themselves are NOT required for ascension.

The objectives feel much more superfluous than even changeling or traitor.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619552

I wouldn't hate seeing Heretic disabled until someone who likes it enough to make it entertaining gives it some combination of...
  • Meaningful lore/hooks for RP. Part of why it's so murderbone-driven, in my opinion, is that there's no real flavor of fluff to it.
  • Power variety. They have no mechanical support for any playstyle other than Assassination Murderbone or Open Combat Murderbone, and a bunch of the powers seem sort of superfluous, either being skipped entirely
  • Literally any ability to figure out what the fuck you're doing without the Wiki. Even basic tasks like sacrifice are beyond new players without looking it up.
  • More methods of getting points, maybe? You've basically got "Rush the nodes" and "Murder," and murders seem to be a bit inconsistent in terms of how secure the target is vs how much you get for sacrificing
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #619554

TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:18 am Code issue. This is how it's been done in the past though so eh, give people time to save it if they want to
It wouldn't exist in the config if it wasn't a config/headmin issue.
► Show Spoiler
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #619555

plenty of other antags have gimmick options, is having one without one that bad?

TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #619562

Hulkamania wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:15 am
TheFinalPotato wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:18 am Code issue. This is how it's been done in the past though so eh, give people time to save it if they want to
It wouldn't exist in the config if it wasn't a config/headmin issue.
► Show Spoiler
I mean like, if it's horrible we should just remove it from the codebase. But traditionally that happens after a period of disabling so hell it doesn't really matter
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619564

Correct

nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #619585

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:06 am The primary objective of heretic is to ascend, which is not possible without gibbing several people, considering how infrequent realities are (which had to be lowered a long time ago).

what if heretics had some way to spend their points on bringing more pierced realities to the station, as a way to try and go for a more passive break-and-enter playstyle
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #619599

nianjiilical wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:04 am

what if heretics had some way to spend their points on bringing more pierced realities to the station, as a way to try and go for a more passive break-and-enter playstyle
Campbell would eventually reach a state where there's a pierced reality on every single tile, and I, for one, am all for it.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619627

Why is an antag being “murderboney” even a concern on LRP? Free antag allows this.

Also, heretic is not even close to murderboney. Most heretics don’t even get 1 sacrifice, judging by the roundend reports, and few make it beyond 1-2.

Heretic is one of the least “murderboney” antags in the config. Why would they murderbone if they 1) have no tools to do it with and 2) need specific individuals to progress? The answer is they wouldn’t and they don’t. They only murderbone after ascending, which is a difficult task that not a lot of people get to do anyway.
Spoiler:
Cosmodeus
Byond Username: Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #619629

Potential banning of lowpop murder boning? I've yet to see low pop murderboning = bans and more so low pop murderboning = people putting you on their personal shit lists. If you're playing heretic in low pop and kill only your targets, then good for you. Tis not low pop murder boney. Guess what else? You can CHOOSE as a heretic to kill people or to wait for more players to join the server and make a one for one trade off as new players join the station. You don't have to kill people as heretic unless you are preventing a shuttle call or things like that. Give some examples of heretics getting banned for not killing anybody.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619642

To push back a bit on Spookuni’s points:

1) Uncontainability: as are changelings, wizards, and every form of nonhuman threat (blob, dragon/carps, kudzu monsters, etc.) It’s okay for an antag to be uncontainable.

2) Round-removal: heretics only have to round-remove 3-5 people for their ascension. Likewise a headless body is not much harder to revive than a husk from a ling. Nor should it matter on LRP whether people are round removed by antags. This is why sec exists. It sucks for people to be round removed, that’s why antags are antags! Let’s nerf bombs also if we want fewer round removals.

3) I agree ascension is way too hard for new players, but I don’t think it encourages murderboning prior to the ascension. Murderboning before ascension actually seems like a great way to get caught and round-ended, provided you could even accomplish this with such a weak kit.

It also doesn’t seem anyone has considered the heretic perspective of this. That is: people hate playing heretic. So much so that there is now a policy thread asking if you can antag-ban people for asking to trade away heretic. The biggest issue with heretic is for the heretic himself, not for the 2 people he manages to sacrifice.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619645

You're missing the point, Sinful. Whether or not an antag can murderbone and round remove is a separate concern from requiring it. If someone wants to, as a traitor, murderbone and round remove everyone they see, that's a decision they're making, and there's not much to do at that point.

The difference is heretic offers you much less leg room, and near exclusively tells you to just gib a ton of people so you can murderbone some more. It's an unhealthy style of gameplay to promote. Uncontainability is a problem because it reinforces that security should just gun down every antagonist they see, which is an unhealthy style of gameplay to promote, we get that plenty with other antagonists and don't need another.

Ryusenshu
Byond Username: Ryusenshu

Post by Ryusenshu » #619656

Cosmodeus wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:22 pm Potential banning of lowpop murder boning? I've yet to see low pop murderboning = bans and more so low pop murderboning = people putting you on their personal shit lists. If you're playing heretic in low pop and kill only your targets, then good for you. Tis not low pop murder boney. Guess what else? You can CHOOSE as a heretic to kill people or to wait for more players to join the server and make a one for one trade off as new players join the station. You don't have to kill people as heretic unless you are preventing a shuttle call or things like that. Give some examples of heretics getting banned for not killing anybody.
"Real" Low Pop Heretic hasnt been a thing for while now
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/59468

Also i brought this idea up on discord regarding changing how points are gained
Maybe something like rituals, that will take a while to do and requires certain objects, dependend on path

edit: this might make heretic way harder though
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619766

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:36 pm The difference is heretic offers you much less leg room, and near exclusively tells you to just gib a ton of people so you can murderbone some more.
Again though, gibbing a few people because they're your targets isn't at all "murderboning." You have specific sacs to make, and need to gib the sacs. Murderboning would be killing several people indiscriminately, not 3 targetted sacrifices.
Mothblocks wrote:Uncontainability is a problem because it reinforces that security should just gun down every antagonist they see, which is an unhealthy style of gameplay to promote, we get that plenty with other antagonists and don't need another.
This gameplay is promoted because any other response is impractical for security. As a rule of thumb, I usually execute antags above 45-50pop, simply because it is almost impossible to contain them safely. There are too many other threats to risk having them back in the round. Every security player on LRP does this as well apart from a select few.

The reason murderboning is allowed on LRP is because people enjoy that form of chaos. It shouldn't be viewed as "an unhealthy gameplay choice which we have to accept," it should be viewed as part of the game which adds to the chaos and LRP flavor. There is a reason it's allowed on LRP, and discouraging it through policy or through disabling an antag config is dragging in MRP enforcement to LRP servers.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619771

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:47 am
Mothblocks wrote:Uncontainability is a problem because it reinforces that security should just gun down every antagonist they see, which is an unhealthy style of gameplay to promote, we get that plenty with other antagonists and don't need another.
This gameplay is promoted because any other response is impractical for security. As a rule of thumb, I usually execute antags above 45-50pop, simply because it is almost impossible to contain them safely. There are too many other threats to risk having them back in the round. Every security player on LRP does this as well apart from a select few.
I think that's what they're saying is the problem though
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619794

Pandarsenic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:03 am
sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:47 am
I think that's what they're saying is the problem though
I don’t see how this is a problem. As long as antags are allowed to murderbone, plasmaflood, cause massive grief etc., sec will execute them when they’re caught. If you want sec to treat them leniently, we have an MRP server where this is standard (because antags can’t do these things on MRP, so the risk in keeping them around is lowered dramatically).

Even if it is a problem, it’s not a problem with heretic, it’s a problem that exists for every antag. I’ve seen way, way more people get murdered by changelings, traitors, xenos, revs, etc. than a heretic of all things. Heretic is perhaps one of the least murderboning antags in the game, which is why I find this entire line of reasoning bizarre. 90% of heretics just harvest realities and sac 0-2 people because heretic is difficult and fairly weak.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619818

As a rule of thumb, I usually execute antags above 45-50pop, simply because it is almost impossible to contain them safely.
Gee, doesn't sound like something we should be promoting more of to me!

You are still neglecting to acknowledge that murderboning, round removal, etc is all very much doable as traitor. There's a difference between allowing unhealthy styles of gameplay and actively promoting them.

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #619857

Had an amazing round where a guy kept showing up increasingly-suspiscious and bloodsoaked while I was trying to do my round and I would say "yo" every time, and he'd be like "heya" back.

Then finally we meet in a quiet corridor and he says "Sorry buddy, its for a good cause" and knifed me, but I cheered him on with lastgasp and he ascended.

(Then was instapwned by a sec officer shooting a fueltank next to him then blatting his critted body with an ebow until he was dead but oh well)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619906

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:23 pm
As a rule of thumb, I usually execute antags above 45-50pop, simply because it is almost impossible to contain them safely.
Gee, doesn't sound like something we should be promoting more of to me!
Perhaps, in which case we should make perma/gulag stronger or make mindshields take away antag status to incentivize keeping traitors in the round after they're caught.
Mothblocks wrote:You are still neglecting to acknowledge that murderboning, round removal, etc is all very much doable as traitor. There's a difference between allowing unhealthy styles of gameplay and actively promoting them.
You haven't yet qualified why it is an "unhealthy style of gameplay." In LRP it is allowed. Would banning murderboning on LRP make it better, in your opinion?

I fully understand traitors can murderbone. My whole argument is that heretics are the least murderboney of the antags - traitors are much better equipped for it and do it far more often than heretics. Heretics can't murderbone period until they ascend, which is fairly difficult.

The entire traitor kit is geared around murder - murdering people as a traitor is actively promoted through the items in the uplink itself. Aside from clown traitors, there's really not much the uplink can do for you other than provide you with weapons to kill/escape after you've killed.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619908

SS13 is a game about interacting with other people and creating interesting stories from the chaos that arises. These stories are best when they are past there was a guy killing people and I killed them, and especially not in the vein of just executing every antagonist you see, when they are meant to be the driving force of the round. SS13 is a game about stories, and not about raw PvP.

Whether or not I think murderbone should be allowed (a question of policy, and out of scope for the topic at hand) is different from whether the code of the game should encourage it (a question of design), which is a direction maintainers have been moving the game away from.

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619909

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:53 pm SS13 is a game about interacting with other people and creating interesting stories from the chaos that arises. These stories are best when they are past there was a guy killing people and I killed them, and especially not in the vein of just executing every antagonist you see, when they are meant to be the driving force of the round. SS13 is a game about stories, and not about raw PvP.
Sparing antags won't really drive the story of the round - it will moreso ensure the station is destroyed and people are killed wordlessly. A plasmaflood and getting silently killed by an antag sec let off isn't really a story. I'll agree though that there are exceptions. But you have to trust the antag to make a story and not just kill people when they're released, which is quite risky.
Mothblocks wrote:Whether or not I think murderbone should be allowed (a question of policy, and out of scope for the topic at hand) is different from whether the code of the game should encourage it (a question of design), which is a direction maintainers have been moving the game away from.
This seems to dodge the question. It seems to me that if you think murderboning should be banned on LRP as a matter of policy, you would be more inclined to encourage game-design choices that discourage it on LRP. Which is sort of the gripe I have with this viewpoint. It seems to be trying to skirt around policy through configs and game design.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619914

No, they're completely separate areas of concern. You can encourage better storytelling through the game design, whereas enforcing policy upon people both limits what people can do as well as increases burden on administration.

There is no such thing as skirting policy through configs, maintainers have no control over that--that's why this thread exists in the first place.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619939

"The antag got away and murdered" doesn't have to be the whole story if Heretics get some sort of actual lore or non-murder mechanics to make a story with
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619944

Which is not in the realm of a policy discussion, as we can't configure heretics to have different spells.

sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619978

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:44 pm No, they're completely separate areas of concern.
I feel like you missed what I said... The philosophy of "murderboning is bad on LRP" will inspire policy and config changes. But murderboning isn't bad on LRP, it's part of the game and fits in perfectly to the chaos. If it's bad, then ban it outright. If it's not bad, then heretics being "murderboney" (which they aren't), is completely immaterial.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619983

I'm not going to entertain slippery slopes. Everything I said in my last message still applies.

EdgeLord_exe
Byond Username: ELord_exe

Post by EdgeLord_exe » #619986

how to make Heretics not murderbony in single (1) step : Image change this SINGULAR line of code.
alternatively port changes that yogstation made to heretics ( which i personally i really really like ) :
https://github.com/yogstation13/Yogstation/pull/12548
https://github.com/yogstation13/Yogstation/pull/12169

real java developer hour lol, 20 meetings for a single line of code change smh.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619989

Mothblocks wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:03 am Which is not in the realm of a policy discussion, as we can't configure heretics to have different spells.
My official take™ is that Heretic should be disabled until and unless the people who like it can make it Not Suck at a code level.

Even if that means Heretic goes away forever, I think that's better than what we have now, though the linked stuff from Yog seems like it could be interesting.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #619990

@Pandarsenic Yeah, that's more or less my thoughts.

@EdgeLord I think removing the gib would be a good place to start, but one thing I consider is, if you're already there, why wouldn't you just throw them in a locker while you're at it?

One thing I was thinking of is having a sacrifice keep them in place for a bit (to incentivize you to go somewhere else), then throwing their body somewhere in maint, probably somewhere behind airlocks. Stops the round removal, as well as stopping people from just round removing while they're there, because there's no reason not to.