the alert level announcements apparently mean nothing??

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

the alert level announcements apparently mean nothing??

Post by ATHATH » #619566

The default config entries for the announcements for changing alert levels:

Code: Select all

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_green
	default = "All threats to the station have passed. Security may not have weapons visible, privacy laws are once again fully enforced."

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_blue_upto
	default = "The station has received reliable information about possible hostile activity on the station. Security staff may have weapons visible, random searches are permitted."

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_blue_downto
	default = "The immediate threat has passed. Security may no longer have weapons drawn at all times, but may continue to have them visible. Random searches are still allowed."

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_red_upto
	default = "There is an immediate serious threat to the station. Security may have weapons unholstered at all times. Random searches are allowed and advised."

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_red_downto
	default = "The station's destruction has been averted. There is still however an immediate serious threat to the station. Security may have weapons unholstered at all times, random searches are allowed and advised."

/datum/config_entry/string/alert_delta
	default = "Destruction of the station is imminent. All crew are instructed to obey all instructions given by heads of staff. Any violations of these orders can be punished by death. This is not a drill."
"Why are you bwoinking me for random searching when we're on blue alert and the blue alert announcement that plays at the start of every shift explicitly told me that I was allowed to perform random searches?"
"alert levels mean nothing, get banned kiddo"
(disclaimer: this is NOT based on an real interaction)

like, these are configs, why are we punishing people for following what the config-dictated announcements that headmins can change to reflect current policy at any time tell them they can do?
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: the alert level announcements apparently mean nothing??

Post by Mothblocks » #619567

The actual config values used on production do not mention random searches--they were explicitly removed.
ALERT_GREEN All threats to the station have passed. Security may not have weapons visible, privacy laws are once again fully enforced. Searches are permitted only with probable cause.
ALERT_BLUE_UPTO The station has received reliable information about possible hostile activity on the station. Security staff may have weapons visible. Searches are permitted only with probable cause.
ALERT_BLUE_DOWNTO The immediate threat has passed. Security may no longer have weapons drawn at all times, but may continue to have them visible. Searches are permitted only with probable cause.
ALERT_RED_UPTO There is an immediate serious threat to the station. Security may have weapons unholstered at all times.
ALERT_RED_DOWNTO The station's destruction has been averted. There is still however an immediate serious threat to the station. Security may have weapons unholstered at all times.
ALERT_DELTA Destruction of the station is imminent. All crew are instructed to obey all instructions given by heads of staff. Any violations of these orders can be punished by death. This is not a drill.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #619571

Hater of random searching in alert levels so I policy’d long ago to get it removed here, get owned.

Quite frankly if you’re trying to weasel a way to just constantly check people for no reason then I don’t want you playing here (not saying you specifically but people trying to gotcha if the scenario exists, which it used to).

If your immediate thought to seeing an announcement that is stock message on >90% of the rounds is to use it to habitually harass people and preemptively (in terms of them doing anything) check for antags you’re a shitler.

That said we still kept the stupid paper you could game the secret mode with so we can’t throw the stones too hard in our glass house.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #619576

I hate playin sec yet I have 30 hours overall...(Counting clown, and HoS) and it makes me feel terrible due to seccies givin people 7-5 minutes for minor shit.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #619597

Jonathan Gupta wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:17 am I hate playin sec yet I have 30 hours overall...(Counting clown, and HoS) and it makes me feel terrible due to seccies givin people 7-5 minutes for minor shit.
I don't bother with brig timers at all as a sec officer. Either you've done something severe enough to warrant a forceborging, or you haven't. If the latter is the case, you'll get a stern warning and maybe receive a tracking implant and a chem implant if you have the potential to snowball later- the time spent searching you and interrogating you is often long enough to serve as a sentence.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #619659

I will defend any security players right to blow away greytiding shitters during red alert and delta with one warning.

when the sirens go off and you keep fucking around you find out
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619798

Stickymayhem wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:29 pm I will defend any security players right to blow away greytiding shitters during red alert and delta with one warning.

when the sirens go off and you keep fucking around you find out
This is fairly important actually. Security should be allowed lower escalation rules in the event of a serious station threat/red alert.

If there’s a blob and nukies swarming the station, security should be able to deal with shitheads with a heavier hand. Simply because it’s impractical to bring them through the whole baton-cuff-brig-timer rigamarole when nukies are shooting the cap a few hallways down and the blob is occupying half of engineering.

That’s one area I think could be improved, at least. It seems this sort of context isn’t usually taken into consideration. My experience in bwoinks is that it’s largely immaterial and what matters is justifying the action in isolation.

For an example here, one time I latejoined HoS on a cult round. Sec was all slaughtered. The HoP, as a purified shade, alerted me cult had the sac target and were be summoning soon. I assemble a small army consisting of: a mindshielded clown with guns, and go to cargo, only to find a massive base full of cultists. A battle ensues. We open fire and kill many of them - turns out a couple of them weren’t cultists but were simply near the base. The bwoinking admin fortunately was a very experienced security player himself and understood how impractical (read: death sentence) it would be to stun each person and search them for cult gear, as a lone seccie with a clown to support you, so I was let off the hook for this. But another admin may have noted it. It’s a good example of a station-destroying threat requiring sec to take more drastic measures for the overall survival of the station.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #619821

Wait, Sinful is the crux of your argument that you were bwoinked for someone's death (we're not always watching every single player, so we entrust the people being ahelp'd to provide context), which you weren't even noted for, because another admin "may" have noted it?

To be clear high alert scenarios are treated with more leniency on security, and admins are trained to understand all players act on limited information. We all play the game, and so we know how you can get yourself caught into a bad situation. These get handled no matter what the actual alert level of the station is. For instance, if you kill someone for getting in the way of you killing blobs (like they're stealing rechargers from your hands or whatever), I won't stop you even if nobody set it to red alert.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #619904

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:33 pm Wait, Sinful is the crux of your argument that you were bwoinked for someone's death (we're not always watching every single player, so we entrust the people being ahelp'd to provide context), which you weren't even noted for, because another admin "may" have noted it?
No, this was just an example of it being handled well.
Mothblocks wrote:To be clear high alert scenarios are treated with more leniency on security, [...] For instance, if you kill someone for getting in the way of you killing blobs (like they're stealing rechargers from your hands or whatever), I won't stop you even if nobody set it to red alert.
And this is great!! It's just that in my experience, the alert/conditions of station hasn't really made a difference in bwoinks.
Spoiler:
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #621543

Like space law, alert levels are roleplay suggestions. We would expect security to be responding with force relative to the overall condition of the station, not necessarily to the alert level that the station is on.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: