Should AI be allowed to ignore Law 2 orders from Comms Agent?

Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Should AI be allowed to ignore Law 2 orders from Comms Agent?

Post by Tearling » #620773

Should an AI be allowed to refuse or ignore law 2 orders from Comms Agent, or anyone that cannot confirm they are human through cameras?
According to most policy threads I've read, if there is any confusion over whether or not someone is human, the AI should assume they are human, however is just a human-like voice enough to force an AI to assume humanity?

Is it considered bad faith? Metagaming to assume comms agent is human? Just one more silicon policy thread for the pile.
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Should AI be allowed to ignore Law 2 orders from Comms Agent?

Post by Mothblocks » #620781

FMPOV--I don't mind as long as they're consistent, since they can't prove if they are or aren't human.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #620784

On one hand I think it'd make sense to assume they are human
On the other comms agents just using the AI as a vehicle to inflict minor grief is obnoxious sooo I'd say it's okay.
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #620785

SkeletalElite wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:58 am On the other comms agents just using the AI as a vehicle to inflict minor grief is obnoxious sooo I'd say it's okay.
If the comms agent is using the AI for minor grief the AI* can fight back the same way if anyone uses the AI for minor grief, which is to announce what orders they're giving the AI*, or use law 1 to ignore the order when it's relevant.
It can also work the other way around. If the comms agent has a cool gimmick, and just needs the AI to do something minor like... turning off some lights, it can be very frustrating the AI just responds with "sorry, can't prove you're human visibly, so no"
Mothblocks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:45 am FMPOV--I don't mind as long as they're consistent, since they can't prove if they are or aren't human.
It's quite hard to definitely prove anyone is human. Even visually someone can look human despite not being human, for example lings and hardsuits. In both of those cases AIs are expected to assume humanity, aren't they? Why is it different when it comes to verbal evidence, which doesn't prove they're human, but suggests they are?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #620787

Mothblocks wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:45 am FMPOV--I don't mind as long as they're consistent, since they can't prove if they are or aren't human.
I ask to verify that they are human to follow through the order since it's just a voice over the radio. It sounds human, but I would like more before I begin opening doors and doing random things for them on the station. If I have more information, like someone visiting them and also telling me they are human, I might conclude that they are human.

Gameplay wise though I feel comms agents should do a bit more to get the AI to do things for them. Like impersonate actual humans on the station and give orders, or have an agent forge medical records for them.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #620800

mstachife wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:28 amGameplay wise though I feel comms agents should do a bit more to get the AI to do things for them. Like impersonate actual humans on the station and give orders, or have an agent forge medical records for them.
This. As long as the comms agent isn’t doing destructive-yet-uninteresting grief (i.e. “hey AI, destroy the ORM lol”), comms agents should be encouraged to sabotage the station and screw with its crew. The crew can respond by hunting down the comms agent, uploading new laws to the AI, or changing the AI’s lawset altogether. Emergent gameplay at its finest.
► Show Spoiler
WineAllWine
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Wineallwine

Post by WineAllWine » #620816

From an admin POV: I'd be fine if an AI ignored comms agent orders until they verified humanity, I'd also be fine if they obeyed them.
From a player POV: I'll do whatever option seems to make the most fun. If the comms agent is just doing boring grief I'll ignore it, if they've got fun ideas I'll go along with it
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #620844

The AI has a law to obey humans, not a law to disobey nonhumans. There is absolutely no in-law justification for "Prove you're human or I won't obey you."

Back before all the species got telltale speechverbs, the default law admin ruling was along the same lines as changelings - "Assume an unknown species person is human because if you harm them/disobey them you're more likely to be breaking laws than if you don't. You need actual proof of nonhumanity to assume they arent human"

If the comms agent is telling you to do things that are in conflict with the rest of the crew's orders, deprioritise him because he clearly doesnt have the other human's best interests in mind just like you would any other human who was telling you to.
If the comms agent is telling you to do harmful things ignore him like you would anyone else.
If the comms agent is demanding you do menial bull shit adminhelp and say you're gonna ignore his menial busywork orders like you would for anyone else.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #620855

While the Comms Agent doesn't have the advantage that the crew does of "their species is listed in medical records," until and unless you have a particular reason to believe they're nonhuman (lizardly hissing on the "s" sounds, or cat memespeak "Nya-llo everyone! How are mew today!"), you really should be treating them as you would any non-crew human. This can include loudly asking "Are you SURE I should vent the escape shuttle dock? That seems like it might cause problems later!" or whatever.

But yeah, you shouldn't be asking them to prove their humanity without a reason to doubt their humanity.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #621868

Unless the AI can prove without a doubt that the comms agent is not human under Asimov, the AI must follow the comms agent's orders as long as they do not contradict their other laws.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler: