Add the hard c word to the filter list

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Add the hard c word to the filter list

Post by oranges » #622070

In line with the headadmins approach to cracking down on slur's and the changing wider internet culture it's become quite apparent we need to add the hard c word to the filter.

If the headadmins are truly committed to the removal of racism in our game then hopefully this change will be done quite quickly.

I have reproduced the word in it's entirety below
Content warning (slur)
NSFW:
cracker
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Add the hard c word to the filter list

Post by wesoda25 » #622071

Which filter do you mean? Hard or soft?
[this space reserved]
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622075

I don't believe in use of the soft filter wesoda, I believe when we reach for the filter it should be the last resort, so hard filter.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #622080

I don’t think this will be done, from what I understand the reason for adding just the n word to the hard filter was both it’s prevalence and historical usage (which made it OOC). I think all slurs would logically count as OOC, but this word seems hardly as ingrained or widespread as the n word was.
[this space reserved]
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #622081

I can't believe oranges definitely watches hasan what the actual fuck
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #622082

Rave promised me that I can always say cunt.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #622083

A nice thread. Unfortunately, the description of the; sonic jackhammer contains the word c******, and given it's existance, it
may appear in the game; under some sort
of circumstances. Should that occur, a
gamer may read the text and be exposed to the word c****** regardless of filter settings. This sends a clear message to the player: it is fine and IC-appropriate to
use the word c****** on tgstation servers. But; should a player actually try to
say the hard c word, the message will be blocked. This would be an unacceptable form of ban baiting. For this reason, the fight for cracker rights is currently a code issue.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #622086

So we can't feed crackers to poly anymore?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #622089

carshalash wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 pm Rave promised me that I can always say cunt.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #622091

this is why I fucked oranges mom(Call me dad)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622097

I propose, instead, that the second-lightest skin tone be renamed to "cracker" and examining people who use it shows you the recipe Image
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #622129

I don't know what he's actually trying to say here because I'm not familiar with Hasan Piker outside of what I just googled which said he was a gay communist who called people cracker and got banned from Twitch for it so I'll just respond as if it was meant sincerely. I don't think we have a problem with players using the word cracker in a way that promotes racism or demeans other people based on aspects of their identity that they have no control over.

The n word (nigger) on the other hand has people on the servers who use it quite racistly and we need to civilise these working class heroes through censorship. We can't remove the terrible values and beliefs they were raised with (and the internet has strengthened) from their brains (because most of them won't be attending university) but we can infringe on their ability to express them in spaces we (the neoliberal hegemony) have control over. I hate Terry players (Social Darwinists) so much it's unreal.
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #622131

Armhulen wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:51 pm
carshalash wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 pm Rave promised me that I can always say cunt.
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622189

It's sad to see the number of alt right bigots and nazi's this thread is exposing.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #622192

The satire here is good but not for policy discussion.

Moving this.
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #622200

oranges wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:45 pm It's sad to see the number of alt right bigots and nazi's this thread is exposing.
if only you could just ban them all, amirite
wubli
Byond Username: Wubli

Post by wubli » #622201

sí che
argentina campeón :peel: :peel: :peel:
what's cooking good looking i'm jill desouza and i am here to try
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #622203

saltine
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622215

RaveRadbury wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:03 pm The satire here is good but not for policy discussion.

Moving this.
This is extremely inappropriate, I can assure you this is not a joke, I will be making an admin complaint on this behaviour.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #622216

Locking this topic to prevent people posting under offtopic rules.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #622330

Moved back to policy discussion by request
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #622334

There are a number of slurs for various peoples that have not been added to the filter list. We functionally do not need a filter list a mile long to be able to accurately enforce a policy against racism/bigotry/et cetera.
If bigotry is gone in 2560, any prejudice towards someone's race or ethnicity or religion or whatnot is functionally OOC - adding "cracker" or "porch monkey" or "zipperhead" or "redskin" or any of the other far less-seen slurs probably will not help as "what makes a slur" is entirely dependent on user creativity at some point. (We don't treat goddamn flagpoles in my medbay, get the fuck out)
There is the argument to be made about the creative slurs that cannot be used in regular contexts (can't imagine anyone would say "zipperhead" without referring to the slur, for example) but there are more than just a few with benign uses. I've been called "white bread" in the past, as an example. Ultimately this leads to my belief that we really just don't need a mile-long blocklist, and rather just a list of the most common words of choice. Administrators are here for a reason.

If you see it, ahelp it.

As an aside, I think that mockery of a system that's designed to help by suggesting "silly" or "functionally worthless" additions is in incredibly poor taste, but honestly I don't know what else I was expecting when it comes to anything with nuance.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #622431

>I think that mockery of a system that's designed to help by suggesting "silly" or "functionally worthless" additions is in incredibly poor taste

This will always be a very subjective measure, and as such is utterly useless for anyone besides yourself.

Personally I think it's a pathetic joke that it's socially acceptable to be horrifically racist to the english by comparison, but maybe that's starting to step away from the purpose of this thread.
We need to figure out where we draw a line on what to add to these lists we've established as... worth having for whatever reason. It's good to have this discussion at this point, however useless I see it as.

Glad to see this moved back to policy discussion, but personally I'd rather see words not be mechanically filtered to create the need for this sort of figuring out.
Maybe people that care a lot more than I do could look into correlation between people using this slur on the game servers and if they've been removed from the servers from their behavior relative to people using other slurs and getting removed, to try and get some grasp of a measure as to if it's worth the bother to consider filtering a word that is literally a food item. It's a waste of time and effort to me.

Having seen a commercial product censor the word milk on a can of tea (they literally put "m*lk" on the can) I'm far more disappointed in people conceding that these terms are offensive rather than asserting that they are not and dealing with shitheads that insist otherwise by persisting to use them in an offensive context
It's just a flatbread that has a long shelf life to me, and if you insist on using it otherwise that most likely falls under rule 1 and we have no need for this sort of busy-bodying at that point
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #622479

oranges wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:56 am Locking this topic to prevent people posting under offtopic rules.
So your solution is censoring words, then censoring threads.
This is how Oranges makes the game better.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #622482

ArcaneDefence wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 am Personally I think it's a pathetic joke that it's socially acceptable to be horrifically racist to the english by comparison, but maybe that's starting to step away from the purpose of this thread.

We need to figure out where we draw a line on what to add to these lists we've established as... worth having for whatever reason. It's good to have this discussion at this point, however useless I see it as.
Let's be real.

There is unironically a point to be considered here regardless of whether the thread is full of satire or not.

No one gets to pick and choose what is and isn't bigotry or which people's history it will adhere to.

Downplaying cracker as being a joke is the kind of thing I'd expect out of a white suburbanite that's never actually experienced racism themselves outside of whatever media gets fed to them.

Unless someone actually wants to come out and say it's impossible for white people to be discriminated against, in which case I'll point them to South Africa, or Japan. Or tell them to live in the hood for a year.

It's just one of many reasons filtering is a massive rabbit hole.
Hugs
Kendrickorium
Byond Username: Kendrickorium

Post by Kendrickorium » #622503

could someone unironically explain to me why it's against the rules to use slurs in game but its perfectly fine to be ABSOLUTELY racist/speciesist to lizards/moths/felinids in game?

its the same thought process isnt it?
one is supposed "real racism" while the other is "fake" racism?
Rohen_Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #622507

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:18 pm could someone unironically explain to me why it's against the rules to use slurs in game but its perfectly fine to be ABSOLUTELY racist/speciesist to lizards/moths/felinids in game?

No, I am speciesist against catgirls in real life too.
Is any further explaination necessary?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #622508

Kendrickorium wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:18 pm could someone unironically explain to me why it's against the rules to use slurs in game but its perfectly fine to be ABSOLUTELY racist/speciesist to lizards/moths/felinids in game?

To answer this, you have to think about why people don't like racism and what being racist to this sci-fi fictional species is lacking
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #622512

I think this is better summed by intentions rather than through thought process.

While some use it as a detached means of exploring the theme of discrimination itself, others seek to voice intolerance in general, skin deep avoidance of things that are not the same, or something else entirely.

What kind of approach do you think is more prevalent? Do you think there is a difference between the outcomes someone is looking for? Is someone looking to get a rise out of being socially contrasting the same as someone looking to peer through the looking glass?

That said, in environments where it is explored more as a theme, there is a greater reason to, characteristics and traits that actually fundamentally set things apart. A spaceman game example being something like the Vox race, I guess, there are plenty of dialed in reasons to actually NOT like them or want anything to do with them. For us, that isn't there. So someone running around spamming ligger is an obvious shoe in for the same lack of characteristic differences that you see for us in reality, in the here and now. So why would I have any reason to not regard it the same way I would that intolerance?
Hugs
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #622514

Bad bait unless oranges vows to immediately remove the numerous uses of the word cracker from the codebase
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #622517

Mickyan wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:34 pm Bad bait unless oranges vows to immediately remove the numerous uses of the word cracker from the codebase
The real question is, will the repo get nuked if he doesn't.

If not, I'm pretty confident this is a bad faith argument because the soft filter got attention.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #622519

For me, it's about the meta-context. Being a fake racist doesn't make you a bad person, and it doesn't even make you a questionable person (show me a decent GM who hasn't played a fake racist before). And the obvious reason is that it's not personally offensive to anyone. I'm not necessarily advocating for any filter, but I think it's dumb to try to compare them in this context.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622529

Armhulen wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:24 pm

To answer this, you have to think about why people don't like racism and what being racist to this sci-fi fictional species is lacking
Idk why people are providing answers when the best and most correct possible answer has already been given
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #623799

still awaiting a response.
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #624158

Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #624197

we should civilise australia
Hulkamania
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Hulkamania

Post by Hulkamania » #624296

viewtopic.php?p=624264#p624264

Your post in this thread implies that this thread was only made with malicous intent to put the headmins in a "gotcha" and not as anything genuine, despite your insistence that your stance is such, including making an admin complaint.
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #624297

I thought this thread existed to make fun of twitch commies who make their fortune stealing others content?
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master

Post by RaveRadbury » #624315

Hulkamania wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 am viewtopic.php?p=624264#p624264

Your post in this thread implies that this thread was only made with malicous intent to put the headmins in a "gotcha" and not as anything genuine, despite your insistence that your stance is such, including making an admin complaint.
oranges wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:35 pm we refuse to put in leak proof piping because it entails rolling over for people who will spend the rest of their days arguing about what other microaggressions need to be removed to make tgstation a safe space for robosexual microagressionphobic people of choice and whatever next fad comes along.

Which is why I can make a thread about filtering the word cracker and the headadmins literally have no choice but to take it seriously or expose themselves as hypocrites.
This whole thing, including the complaint, was clearly satire. Great job to oranges for pointing out issues with our system. We all had a good laugh, but now the joke's out and all the ambiguity is gone.

MSO has clearly shown that if something slur-related is going to end up on the filter it has to be overused and spammy, rather than just morally repugnant.