AI, Emergency Shuttle Calls, and the Eternal War Of The Supreme Overgod Recall

Muffindrake
Byond Username: Muffindrake

AI, Emergency Shuttle Calls, and the Eternal War Of The Supreme Overgod Recall

Post by Muffindrake » #622145

Hello, I don't play AI.

I've had enough shifts now where as an atmos tech who knows what they're doing, I had to fight the AI, default laws no subversion, at an APC at the Bridge over control until I could cut them out via wire. Some AI players have decided that they have sole control over whether the shuttle is called, irrelevant is the situation on the station, and they're usually enforcing this by attempting to wrestle control over machines with APC power until most people won't bother. They're bored, so they do it, without even an order from a crew member. Atmospheric techs working on fixing meteor damage across the whole station with RCDs in under two minutes? Call the shuttle and make no attempts at helping them repressurize areas or god forbid bolting airlocks leading to spaced ones, doing job is bad. Revolutionaries just won? Call that shit. We passed 20 minutes on non-kilo/icebox and two traitors just got themselves killed? Why are we even here still?!

That being said, a regular crew member should probably not be able to order the AI to do this, only Command, or whoever is acting captain, or holding the spare, at the time.

Another AI player told me they'd be swarmed by Law 2 requests to recall the shuttle, by a person who is doing the fun gameplay loop involving hiding on the station interacting with noone.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Re: AI, Emergency Shuttle Calls, and the Eternal War Of The Supreme Overgod Recall

Post by Googles_Hands » #622148

Any Head of Staff can recall the shuttle, if there is no one with Head of Staff access or there is someone with access or doesn't care enough to recall the shuttle, it should probably be called anyhow.
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Re: AI, Emergency Shuttle Calls, and the Eternal War Of The Supreme Overgod Recall

Post by Valorium » #622158

I think, in general, the AI shouldn't be the one deciding to call the emergency shuttle, short of there being literally no one else able and willing to do so.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #622163

I think this is all ideal design.

AI is compelled to act based on the well being of the crew. If there are serious threats to that, they have to call. This acts as an important sanity check, although admittedly it’s usually not a necessary one since heads will usually call for these reasons. If crew would rather stay, the AI acts as a motivator for them to fix the station up quickly (the faster you get it fixed, the shorter the call/recall war will be).

If there’s no law 1 reason to prompt a shuttle call, then calls with flimsy reasoning can be recalled and measures can be taken so as to prevent them from happening again. If it’s the AI taking initiative to call, you can simply law 2 them to stop. If it’s crewmembers abusing law 2 to make it call, you can give the AI a conflicting order so as to enable them to ignore the requests to call. If that doesn’t work, deal with the crewmembers themselves.

All of these situations rely on having the people necessary to recall. It just takes one, which is important. If none of the people who are able end up recalling, perhaps that’s just an indication that it’s time to leave. Sure there will be times when the shuttle just ends up unfairly called prematurely, but I think that’s better than forcing a hierarchy upon AIs/whatever else this thread is suggesting since I think that’s an important dynamic of asimov. If you think someone is making a shitty shuttle call, don’t be afraid to ahelp.
[this space reserved]
Muffindrake
Byond Username: Muffindrake

Post by Muffindrake » #622173

> If you think someone is making a shitty shuttle call, don’t be afraid to ahelp.

I've done it multiple times. I have as many times been relegated to making a policy discussion post ...
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #622179

I guess I’m a bit confused on the fixation on AI then. All of the reasons people would call shuttles that you described in the OP could be and are done by anyone. I’m doubtful that stopping the AI from doing it would actually address the issue, assuming it actually is one.
[this space reserved]
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #622193

Recalling is easy and can be done by any head of staff.

You can law 2 an AI to bring back power to the computers to recall it, especially since head of staff is generally humans. If the AI refuses on account of law 1, and you think they're doing so in bad faith/are otherwise wrong, you can ahelp it.

Asimov not having a hierarchy is very very much one of "the points", and the last thing we need is more asterisks on silicon policy.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #622195

Mothblocks wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:30 pm You can law 2 an AI to bring back power to the computers to recall it, especially since head of staff is generally humans. If the AI refuses on account of law 1, and you think they're doing so in bad faith/are otherwise wrong, you can ahelp it.

Asimov not having a hierarchy is very very much one of "the points", and the last thing we need is more asterisks on silicon policy.
This. Busybody Asimov AIs that attempt to enforce Space Law/Chain of Command are already doing it wrong. You don't need more rules layered on top.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #622238

This thread is shit

Laws are laws and either the AI is following its laws or it isn't
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #622245

I think AI's shouldn't be able to call the shuttle in the first place. It's boring and just means everyone leaves at the first sign of harm. Let the crew actually have to fight for access to the console instead of only having to shout "AI call shuttle" in comms.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #622316

CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:21 pm I think AI's shouldn't be able to call the shuttle in the first place. It's boring and just means everyone leaves at the first sign of harm. Let the crew actually have to fight for access to the console instead of only having to shout "AI call shuttle" in comms.
This wouldn't stop the AI from calling. It would just change it to being ".b Hey Engiborg, go deconstruct the comms consoles, this traitor has already killed half the crew and we need a shuttle."
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
mstachife
Byond Username: Mstachife

Post by mstachife » #622511

CPTANT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:21 pm I think AI's shouldn't be able to call the shuttle in the first place. It's boring and just means everyone leaves at the first sign of harm. Let the crew actually have to fight for access to the console instead of only having to shout "AI call shuttle" in comms.
You know that you can just say "dont call the shuttle". Or .. recall it.
tattle
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by tattle » #623669

If an AI is acting in bad faith for calling the shuttle (or refusing orders telling them to stop preventing recall without cause), that is against the rules.
On a related note, if a human is calling or ordering the AI to call the shuttle without reason (or if the reason is something flimsy like "I don't like this map"), that is also against the rules.

Headmin Votes:
Dragomagol: Agree
NamelessFairy: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree
Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #623671

Host comment: Law 3 is suppose to be a protection against this as well.

A station without a crew can not have a functioning AI for long, and the AI should want to avoid shuttle calls without an overriding law 1 or law 2 reason for the shuttle call. (The ai should also assume somebody attempting to call the shuttle counts as a law 2 reason, and should not attempt to prevent it either.)
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)