Add zamn to the hard filter

Riggle
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Riggle

Add zamn to the hard filter

Post by Riggle » #627175

Pretty self explanatory. Zamn has been in this community for some time now, and it's (in my humble opinion) an OOC in IC term, just like amogus. The word adds no flavour to the game whatsoever, and I don't think it should have a place in IC chat. It's comparable to amogus, which is already hard filtered.
Very cool link
Look at my cool text
Kubisopplay
Byond Username: Kubisopplay

Re: Add zamn to the hard filter

Post by Kubisopplay » #627177

Zamn, aren't you a salty catmin. Honestly, the idea of filtering stuff like that is imperfect in itself, since if someone is really trying to meme in character he will get past the filter, so admin action will be needed anyway. How easy is editing filter on the fly during the round? If something gets abused during one round just filter it for that round, and people will forget about it after an hour.
Silicon main, enough said
Tell me how badly I fucked up here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32575
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #627179

please for the love of god ban people who ooc in IC instead of relying on the filter, which should only be used for the most pernicious cases.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #627181

oranges wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:00 pm please for the love of god ban people who ooc in IC instead of relying on the filter, which should only be used for the most pernicious cases.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #627188

How easy is editing filter on the fly during the round?
It's so easy that Riggle has been doing it every round I see him on. This is not an acceptable solution as we should strive towards consistent administration where possible.

I agree with this on the basis of shooting down flavor of the month memes, adding things to the filter is extremely cheap.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #627221

We should make the filter more expensive so you guys just ban people
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #627246

no just ban someone for ooc in ic/netspeak/flavour of the month coward coward coward
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #627278

Although I do not like hearing zoomerspeak in my /tg/ and the tides of children from YouTube were a mistake, banning people for saying memes IC is for hall monitors and you should work on whatever personal issues cause you to take offense at hearing them instead.
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #627379

Filtering is the easy way out and serial IC/OOC and / or flavour of the month memes should be met with bans.
Last edited by Sylphet on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #627426

cacogen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 am Although I do not like hearing zoomerspeak in my /tg/ and the tides of children from YouTube were a mistake, banning people for saying memes IC is for hall monitors and you should work on whatever personal issues cause you to take offense at hearing them instead.
This is always such a disingenuous take. Perhaps you should work on whatever personal issues cause you to take offence at people enforcing the server rules.

The idea behind filtering OOC in IC/memes of the month/etc is simple. If a word or phrase is guaranteed 100% always to be OOC in IC with no valid IC uses, adding it to the hard filter means people cannot say it (accidentally or otherwise) and will thus never be bwoinked for saying it.

However, the playerbase can find new words and phrases faster than they can be hard filtered. Perhaps there is some merit in bwoinking people who drag the quality of shifts down with their OOC references rather than just reactively banning said references.

What good is a phone call meme if you are unable to speak connect to the game servers?
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #627427

Why in the hell would zamn be added to a filter? People say zamn in discord text, I'm sure they'd even say it in a call, what exactly is OOC about it? It's just a little harmless expression a server created.
Spoiler:
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #627429

sinfulbliss wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:38 pm Why in the hell would zamn be added to a filter? People say zamn in discord text, I'm sure they'd even say it in a call, what exactly is OOC about it? It's just a little harmless expression a server created.
https://bfy.tw/SRR6
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627453

Timberpoes wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:29 pm
cacogen wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 am Although I do not like hearing zoomerspeak in my /tg/ and the tides of children from YouTube were a mistake, banning people for saying memes IC is for hall monitors and you should work on whatever personal issues cause you to take offense at hearing them instead.
This is always such a disingenuous take. Perhaps you should work on whatever personal issues cause you to take offence at people enforcing the server rules.

The idea behind filtering OOC in IC/memes of the month/etc is simple. If a word or phrase is guaranteed 100% always to be OOC in IC with no valid IC uses, adding it to the hard filter means people cannot say it (accidentally or otherwise) and will thus never be bwoinked for saying it.

However, the playerbase can find new words and phrases faster than they can be hard filtered. Perhaps there is some merit in bwoinking people who drag the quality of shifts down with their OOC references rather than just reactively banning said references.

What good is a phone call meme if you are unable to speak connect to the game servers?
How is it disingenuous? I do believe that zoomer memes threaten a certain type of nerd because they're either aged out or incredibly gay. And I do feel that's where some of this animus is coming from.

Why are you banning people for using memes in the first place? /tg/station never used to have a bunch of anti-fun librarians trying to punish players for using memes they don't like under the guise of muh immersions. It was the autist Saegrimr iirc who started obsessively banning people for netspeak IC (a rule that was never usually enforced up until that point) and it's only gotten more excessive and needless since. But adminPMing and especially banning people over things like this only appeals to Randall Weems to begin with.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #627463

No need to be offended.

I do believe that OOC in IC rule enforcement threatens a certain type of NRP shitter because they're either burned out or incredibly stupid. And I do feel that's where some of this animus is coming from.

Why do you want to use memes IC in the first place? /tg/station never used to have a bunch of anti-RP shitters trying to punish players for wanting decent roleplay they're too burned out to enjoy under the guise of the servers devolving away from mechanical mastery. There have been a long line of shitters obsessively repeating the same tired memes IC (memes that never really caught on up until people started spamming them) and it's only gotten more excessive and needless since. But complaining in policy discussions and especially crying over things like this only appeals to Erwin Lawson types.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #627464

seems like a lot more effort long term to constantly update the filter to combat memes vs just smacking people in the face any time it pops up so they learn their lesson
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #627469

oranges wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:00 pm please for the love of god ban people who ooc in IC instead of relying on the filter, which should only be used for the most pernicious cases.
the filter was spawned out of the laziness of admins. shouldve never existed, people who ooc in ic should be banned and there shouldnt be a filter to catch them. the filter only serves to annoy me when i misspell something and it looks like netspeak
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627475

Just 15-minute ban people who OoC/IC or IC/OoC until they learn not to do it
Last edited by Pandarsenic on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #627494

Adding to the filter is effectively free and if everyone here is arguing that this is an OOC-IC word that has no real IC usage, then it makes no sense not to just put it on the filter rather than let people walk themselves into 15 minute bans, only depending on whether the admin online cares or not
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
ArcaneDefence
Byond Username: ArcaneDefence

Post by ArcaneDefence » #627496

I miss when people would just get slapped with a 15 minute OOC in IC server ban and no one would think anything of it.
It's a good shake of the stick that I will continue to advocate for.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #627508

What the fuck is 'zamn'?
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627510

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:38 am /tg/station never used to have a bunch of anti-RP shitters
Roleplay is pretty gay, to tell you the truth. It's only set apart from self-important and tyrannical drama nerds (see: any HRP server) acting poorly when it amounts to people trying to play their roles well. That in itself is immersive. If somebody saying zamn threatens your immersions then you probably weren't that engaged with the round to begin with. I feel immersed fixing air alarms. I think jerking off your furry static with your metafriends in medbay while waiting for a body to come through is a lot of MRP folx' idea of roleplay but when you reduce the game to a virtual chatroom like Furcadia or Second Life then of course you're going to be upset when somebody uses a flavour of the month meme in it. 'My furry roleplay simulator should not have such things!' But of course, it's not a furry roleplay simulator. It's about people trying to survive on a space station. And some of those people like saying zamn.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #627512

I really, really don't think it's a big deal if people say zamn every now and then.
► Show Spoiler
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #627513

NecromancerAnne wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:27 am What the fuck is 'zamn'?
https://bfy.tw/SRR6
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #627524

"yes its 500 years in the future culture and language has evolved HOWEVER only my memes are valid yours are stinky so i can make 500 "jokes" about catboi maids you are not allowed to say "dang" in a funny way."
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #627537

Is anyone here capable of providing a single argument for how the word "zamn" is an OOC-IC term? Stating blankly "it's an OOC term" isn't an argument, by the way. Here's an argument for why amogus is an OOC-IC term: amogus references a videogame where certain players are traitors; saying "amogus" on TG makes light of the fact you are playing a videogame, similarly, with traitors among you.

"Zamn," is literally just "damn" with a Z. It doesn't break immersion, "amongus" does.
Spoiler:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #627540

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:09 pm snippies
The argument isn't that it's ick ock, so much as it's a flavour of the month term that becomes so overused that while it isn't inherently ick ock, the fact that everyone IRL is saying it and everyone in SS13 is saying even though they're separated by hundreds of years, it makes it feel like it's basically a discord chat with Atmos rather than a roleplaying game. Sus and amogus weren't filtered for being ick ock, it's a shitty justification to cover for it's overused and not funny anymore please stop because we don't really have the spine to just say rule 1 knock it off in cases like this. In the end whether or not it's ick ock isn't the point of this thread, it's whether or not we're collectively sick of this shit enough to start taking action against people who say it.

tl;dr it isn't but it's annoying and stop it
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master

Post by Timberpoes » #627561

cacogen wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:36 am Roleplay is pretty gay, to tell you the truth.
Excuse me, but I identify as part of the LRPBTQ+ community.
sinfulbliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #627562

Sylphet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:37 pm -snip
It is a bit of a strange argument to say that, because a word is trendy OOCly, it therefore becomes an OOC term if overused ICly. I don’t think the fact we roleplay as spacemen needs to mean we limit our vocabulary to only what spacemen set hundreds of years from now would say. You’d also need to bend over backwards to justify its censoring via rule 1. I suppose the best argument is “it’s annoying and we don’t like it,” but that’s still not a great argument IMO. Banning words simply because they’re annoying is a slippery slope. "Amogus," though, carried with it a legitimate OOC reference which I mentioned.
Spoiler:
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #627564

sinfulbliss wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:11 pm
It is a bit of a strange argument to say that, because a word is trendy OOCly, it therefore becomes an OOC term if overused ICly. I don’t think the fact we roleplay as spacemen needs to mean we limit our vocabulary to only what spacemen set hundreds of years from now would say. You’d also need to bend over backwards to justify its censoring via rule 1. I suppose the best argument is “it’s annoying and we don’t like it,” but that’s still not a great argument IMO. Banning words simply because they’re annoying is a slippery slope. "Amogus," though, carried with it a legitimate OOC reference which I mentioned.
Zamn, as far as I know, isn't a word, though. It derives directly from the meme. While, yes, this is how language evolves naturally over time, if there's a period where it's very flavour of the month, then it warrants discussion, at least.

Also 'sus' was a real word but still got the "If you don't use it properly, you're in trouble" treatment.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #627571

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:22 pm
Zamn, as far as I know, isn't a word, though. It derives directly from the meme. While, yes, this is how language evolves naturally over time, if there's a period where it's very flavour of the month, then it warrants discussion, at least.

Also 'sus' was a real word but still got the "If you don't use it properly, you're in trouble" treatment.
It was wrong then and its wrong now. Fucking 65 percent of our code is a reference to some fucking meme or another. DOOMP IT MY VALIDS DEM FUKKEN DORFS LMAO 2CAT IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A SUGAR RUSH YOU CAN'T TEND BAR
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #627581

ArcaneDefence wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:57 am I miss when people would just get slapped with a 15 minute OOC in IC server ban and no one would think anything of it.
It's a good shake of the stick that I will continue to advocate for.
I miss when OOC in IC / IC in OOC bans doubled in length for each offense.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627588

It’s a stupid meme, and I’m too dumb to know where it’s from.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #627612

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 am Adding to the filter is effectively free and if everyone here is arguing that this is an OOC-IC word that has no real IC usage, then it makes no sense not to just put it on the filter rather than let people walk themselves into 15 minute bans, only depending on whether the admin online cares or not
the whole point of banning these shit stains is so they sharpen up their behaviour, if the only negative effect is a fucking message preventing you from saying it, they are not going to learn you dumbass, you will just have to keep adidng more and more stupid shit to the filter because you refuse to do your fucking job.
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #627636

Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm

It was wrong then and its wrong now. Fucking 65 percent of our code is a reference to some fucking meme or another. DOOMP IT MY VALIDS DEM FUKKEN DORFS LMAO 2CAT IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A SUGAR RUSH YOU CAN'T TEND BAR
Yeah, but there's a difference between references, and overused flavour of the month. Sugar Rush is a subtle reference to a fairly niche borderline-VN that I vaguely suspect half the playerbase doesn't actually know the reference.

An overused flavour of the month is just irritating and gets tiring/boring, very very quickly.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #627637

CMDR_Gungnir wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:08 am
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Yeah, but there's a difference between references, and overused flavour of the month. Sugar Rush is a subtle reference to a fairly niche borderline-VN that I vaguely suspect half the playerbase doesn't actually know the reference.

An overused flavour of the month is just irritating and gets tiring/boring, very very quickly.
you know what the cool thing about flavors of the month is? you can wait 31 days and it'll be gone

what would you guys do if one of your coworkers kept spouting old memes without context? if someone does it in game just call them a fucking nerd and push them into a locker, its not that hard
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #627639

Adam Klein wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:46 pm It’s a stupid meme, and I’m too dumb to know where it’s from.
just subscribe to r/shitposting and you'll get all the zoomer hits and feel like you're back in middle school and with the casual implicit bigotry getting upvoted there wonder if these people have souls when all they seemed to be concerned about is appearing normal
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm DOOMP IT
This is particularly egregious and orange should've stepped in and said the game is not a template for your favourite memes. But I think I only believe that because it's that Bogdanoff /biz/ shit and the whole 'Rothschilds bow to the Bogdanoffs' pasta that originally brought them onto people's radars began on /pol/ as a shitpost/ironic conspiracy theory some people there bought into. Other memes in the code do not foster such contempt, like those brain damage lines you referenced that were stupid things people said on Goon and have been in the game since /tg/station forked. This is why I think policing memes is bad, because inevitably there are some you like and others you can't stand and those are the ones you react to. The other choice is to simply ban all memes, which is the equivalent of a high school librarian going over to a table full of kids having fun and telling them they need to stop or get kicked out. You shouldn't allow yourself to become that person.
The Wrench
Byond Username: The Wrench

Post by The Wrench » #627767

To add on to what was said earlier in this thread, banning memes and making the admins into the fun police because of “Muh immersion” in a silly space game is again, rather silly. Before the not so controversial “AMOGUS” ban, you could just laugh at the brainlet screaming the words of power. Arrest them for insanity. Handle it IC.
Jonathan Gupta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:32 pm all you godamn do is whine and complain come up with ideas, stop bitching for christs sake.
Flatulent wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:02 am You and anyone who supports the rule 3 as described by mso is simply put not an lrp player

ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #627780

idk man. "zamn" has a meaning outside of the meme (you can pretty obviously tell that it's just a different way to say "daaaaamn"), and I personally use it unironically occasionally (I'm not a zoomer I swear).
Sylphet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:37 pm the fact that everyone IRL is saying it and everyone in SS13 is saying even though they're separated by hundreds of years, it makes it feel like it's basically a discord chat with Atmos rather than a roleplaying game
okay but we're also saying words like "dollar" and "private jet" that will inevitably look like ye olde english 400 years from now. I don't really see why "zamn" should be any different.

and why *shouldn't* the game have a relaxing discord chat vibe? you can still rp without awkwardly rephrasing everything you say to make it sound like you're from the 2010s instead of the 2020s.
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #627783

IF your immersion is so fragile where if someone says something that can be considered to somewhat of a meme within a 6 mile radius causes you to lose your shit and think banning this person is ok then I think you have lost the plot. Meme culture has always been apart of society ever since the days of cable tv and am sure people have made references to those memes from (insert media here) in public before and still do so. I do not think someone making a reference to (insert media here) or making their own joke should be bannable and is not aganist roleplaying seeing people do this irl and is only natural humans want to fit in with other humans by making jokes and having a good time with others, I only take issue with this is if its if all the person says or does this for 1 hour in till its home time and the magical space bus takes you back to CC. I think banning this regardless of its on a filter or an admin banning you for is just that person enforcing their sense of humour onto the player base.
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #627802

This is not OOC in IC, nor is it a problem. Speaking in our modern internet colloquialisms and shit is not IC in OOC. It's just 'damn' with a 'z'. While it may have came from a meme, using fake swear words is also part and parcel for scifi settings sometimes (frack is the easiest to recall).

How big was the stick up whoever's ass who felt the need to do this lol. petty dislike for a word isn't a good reason to censor it. it's not even fucking netspeak lol. imagine the kind of delusional and huge ego you need to police language to this degree. netspeak and smileys are one thing but lol.
Last edited by massa on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2:
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #627803

this is dumb its just a funny way to say damn
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #627825

I have been playing since 2014 and never have i seen the word zamn used.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #627836

Trying to keep any modern culture and vernacular out of SS13 is a losing battle by definition. "Zamn" is a thing outside of just the meme + it doesn't really have the level of specificity of temporality that Amogus has.

Amogus is a flavor of the month non sequitur that gets dropped either out of nowhere, because meme poisoning means it's funny to just say things that are references to something funny without any actual context for doing so... or because of the genre similarities, but it's still alluding to the meme because otherwise we'd be seeing references, at minimum, to The Thing around changelings.

The coming and going of slang - dab, lit, fam, bussy, chelp, shit, hella, damn/zamn, yeet/yeeted/yote, whatever - just kind of happens. Maybe it'll stick, maybe it won't. Rapidity of onset doesn't really define whether something has staying power or is flavor of the month.

Just ban people who do a non sequitur meme recitation. I believe in you. You can do it.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #627912

We have no interest in adding Zamn to the word filter, if its usage becomes excessively OOC then admins are free to intervene.

Headmin Votes:
NamelessFairy: Agree
Dragomagol: Agree
RaveRadbury: Agree