Put Player's Club-like restrictions on Policy Discussion upgraded

Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Put Player's Club-like restrictions on Policy Discussion upgraded

Post by Tearling » #627447

Coders do not provide interesting or relevant discourse to the future health of the server. They are, at best, off topic or misinformed, and at worst, actively harmful to the discussion. The Player's Club intentionally limits posting (but not viewing) only to those who have played recently, of which what is considered "played" is fairly generous (even oranges got in, har har). I don't see any reason to let people who have removed themselves from the game, or worse--headcoders, try to push against administrative changes.

I would exclude coder-admins from these restrictions, as they are more likely to have their finger on the pulse of what is a good/bad change, especially if they're an active admin. I know a handful of admins who don't meet Player's Club restrictions but are still very active administrators, and would not like to see them lose their voice.

I don't mind if the time considered "player" for policy discussion is increased by a lot, I think Player's Club is already fairly generous, but I wouldn't mind.

On an unrelated question, is plagiarism in policy discussion unethical?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Put Player's Club-like restrictions on Policy Discussion upgraded

Post by Mothblocks » #627451

If the point of this was a jab at me and the thread I made, I play quite often and was the one responsible for implementing the Player's Club in the first place. Not sure what you meant by this
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
dragomagol
In-Game Head Admin
Byond Username: Dragomagol

Post by dragomagol » #627452

Apparently this is a serious thread, carry on.
AKA tattle

Help improve my neural network by giving me feedback!

Spoiler:
Tearling
Byond Username: Tearling

Post by Tearling » #627459

Mothblocks wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:32 am If the point of this was a jab at me and the thread I made, I play quite often and was the one responsible for implementing the Player's Club in the first place. Not sure what you meant by this
It was not. I agree with your initial post, and believed that replacing "banned players" with "coders" would be just as effective.
dragomagol wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:45 am Apparently this is a serious thread, carry on.
Thank you
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:41 am From my perspective, players just want to genuinely be listened to. And I don't mean it condescendingly, but to genuinely have their say and for admins to listen, process it and reply. Even if you don't give two shits about what the player is saying, even if you disagree with every part of what they say, players are less likely to leave an ahelp pissed off if you've listened to them and given a reply that directly addresses what they've told you.
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #627461

Very much disagree.

If maintainers were restricted from policy discussions, then naturally admins would be restricted from code discussions too.

Afterall, admins do not provide interesting or relevant discourse for the future health of the codebase. They are, at best, off topic or misinformed, and at worst, actively harmful to the discussion. Might as well disenfranchise them from the GitHub as well and prevent them contributing their views as well. Don't want to taint the purity of the codebase with the ignorant views of a team containing some 80-odd people who have never contributed a single line of code to the codebase.

Obvious hyperbole aside, I think it's pretty obvious how short-sighted and ultimately how incorrect the above is.

I argue the same is true that maintainers do have interesting and relevant discourse seeing as they are responsible for designing, reviewing and merging features and implementations to the very codebase that the policy discussion is so often founded upon.

Were you aware that the admin and maintainer teams have been cooperating on code and policy for as long as I've been a maintainer? I suspect they have for many years before that too. It is a symbiotic relationship, not parasitic. And the benefits flow both ways.

If you cut out the maintainer team from policy, then the maintainer team has very little real incentive to consider policy when designing and merging changes. The relationship becomes antagonistic instead of symbiotic.

Some policy concerns can be more effectively addressed via code solutions. Some code solutions can be better implemented with support from policy. Both are improved when we all work together.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #627630

I'm not interested in this and I doubt my colleagues are. Alienating the coding team is a great way for everything to become terrible(er).

Gonna dismiss this for incendiary and low-quality