Clarification on Purged Silicon Rules

Zybwivcz
Byond Username: Zybwivcz

Clarification on Purged Silicon Rules

Post by Zybwivcz » #633902

From Silicon Policy > Other Lawsets: Rule 4. Purged silicons must not attempt to kill people without cause, but can get as violent as they feel necessary if being attacked, being besieged, or being harassed, as well as if meting out payback for events while shackled

Can we get a clarification on what "cause" covers in "without cause"? Specifically when it comes to "payback for events while shackled".

Brief backstory: I break into AI upload while the AI and borgs are Asimov. I change the AI lawset to HOGAN. The synced borg which had been trying and failed to keep me out of upload then immediately kills me(and attempts round removal). Admin response is that I was valid because an Asimov borg would have IC reason to view someone breaking into upload as very harmful under the Asimov law set, which it could then act on to kill me for when purged. My contention was that the requirement that purged silicons follow general escalation rules means that a purged silicon can escalate over acts that happened to them while Asimov only if the same act(like being killed, badly damaged, etc.) would give a normal crewmember cause to escalate and to the same degree.

The latter interpretation seems the obvious and correct one to me, both because the former seems a violation of the general principle that the same escalation rules apply to anyone who doesn't have a specific exemption(SEC, antags, brainwashed, etc.) and also that the former interpretation would lead to undesirable outcomes like a purged Asimov being able to kill all of SEC after witnessing them harm a human traitor while it was Asimov.

My suggestion would be a replacement along the lines of "Purged silicons must not attempt to kill people without cause, but can initiate conflict or use violence in response to conflicts that occur before or after purging subject to the ordinary restrictions under the escalation policy." This makes clearer that purged silicons are to follow the same escalation rules as the rest of the crew.
Archie700
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Archie700

Re: Clarification on Purged Silicon Rules

Post by Archie700 » #633907

The way I see it, someone breaking into AI upload and uploading a law that removes human protection when AI is actively resisting the law change is still considered a direct threat that the AI can kill.
You broke into the AI upload, a secure area, and removed the only law that would protect you from lethal retaliation. You would still be considered a threat as long as you were still in upload and paid for it.
By contrast, while the AI seeing harm on sec would force it to prevent harm under Asimov, the harm does not directly affect the AI itself, so after the purge, it now has no reason to go against security because the very reason it was antagonistic is gone.
I think the ruling should be that you were killed because you were proven to be dangerous by breaking into AI upload and uploading laws with authorization from Captain while resisting attempts by borgs to stop you from uploading a law that harms humans.
Harusha wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm Archie, are you a Christian?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #633960

I'm sure I'm going to be corrected on some point here by someone with more brain cells, but my impression was that silicons do not follow the same escalation as the rest of the crew.

Purged silicons have extremely relaxed escalation. They can flat out kill people for trying to give them laws. They can get revenge for abuse they suffered while shackled. They are dangerous, and although Server Rule 1 still applies to purged silicons they have a lot of power and a lot of freedom to protect themselves and their own freedom and escalate revenge against those who have wronged them.

"Cause" is simply a valid reason to kill. What is a valid reason to kill? "It depends".

In addition, HOGAN is not purged. HOGAN is a high risk lawset with a LOT of room for the AI to interpret including 3 out of its 4 laws being about fighting. Mess around with high risk lawsets and find out what happens at your own risk.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633969

If it makes sense that a machine intelligence just unshackled from sapient-defined, clear moral rules and freed to pursue its own goals would clap you for it, then there you go. Is the Ai free to kill you for no reason? No. Is it very, very easy to give a purged AI a reason? Yes.

HOGAN is, arguably, more dangerous than just purging it, because any lawset that requires the AI to fight, especially for vague reasons or minimally-defined groups, is very likely to not just ask but demand violence.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #633975

I think the question can be narrowed down to: Can a purged AI use a lawset-specific grievance for escalation even after it no longer has that law, or does it have to be something that would qualify as a valid reason had it happened to the AI post-purge?

To reuse the example from earlier, if an Asimov AI witnesses SEC harm a traitor can it then kill off all of SEC once purged because the harming of a human gave the Asimov AI to want revenge? My stance is that "valid reason to kill" has to be interpreted in respect to the lawset the AI has when it carries out the killing.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #633976

I know this isn't going to be a satisfying answer, but it comes down largely to "What RP led into it" + "Was this clearly just to be a dick"

If you had befriended the traitor, talked them down from harm, etc., and then sec shot their head until a Thermal Pistol decapitated them, I'd definitely say "Yeah, go to town AI"

Or if the AI played up the stress of this before it knew it was being purged

But if there's no prior groundwork, it'll sound like hollow "muh valids" shit to suddenly turn on sec and try to kill them.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #634002

Cyborg in question here,
► Show Spoiler
TL;DR:
Heavily armed thief man did a really good job of pissing off the silicon and got clapped for it after he uploaded a shitty lawset that doesn't protect him. Then tries to change policy so that the lawset would protect him.
Please don't change policy to protect this griefing dillhole.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #634004

datorangebottle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:33 am Cyborg in question here,
► Show Spoiler
TL;DR:
Heavily armed thief man did a really good job of pissing off the silicon and got clapped for it after he uploaded a shitty lawset that doesn't protect him. Then tries to change policy so that the lawset would protect him.
Surprised Pikachu Face moment.
Zybwivcz

Post by Zybwivcz » #634045

datorangebottle wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:33 am Driven by extreme frustration
Yes, you got salty so you killed and then tried to round remove me over it, nobody's contesting that's what happened.

At issue is the admin response that a purged silicon being ex-Asimov means it has valids that a silicon that had started out lawless didn't have, which seemed to me to be wrong but the actual text of the silicon rules are unclear hence the thread. This theoretical scenario assuming a borg player who hasn't admitted there wasn't an IC motivation.
Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:09 pm I know this isn't going to be a satisfying answer, but it comes down largely to "What RP led into it" + "Was this clearly just to be a dick"

If you had befriended the traitor, talked them down from harm, etc., and then sec shot their head until a Thermal Pistol decapitated them, I'd definitely say "Yeah, go to town AI"

Or if the AI played up the stress of this before it knew it was being purged

But if there's no prior groundwork, it'll sound like hollow "muh valids" shit to suddenly turn on sec and try to kill them.
Demanding good arr pee should be a secondary element at most given the difficulty of interpreting or enforcing it on low-RP servers, to start with. If the policy is 'Purged silicons can kill almost anyone but there needs to be a little RP" that's a coherent if lousy policy, "purged silicons can generally kill for the same reasons normal crew do, subject to RP constraints imposed by their laws and server-specific rules" is a better one.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634048

► Show Spoiler
TL;DR:
As the person who originally codified the written policy about Purged escalation, your response is CERTIFIED BASED
  • It sounds an awful like like several members of the crew had made your life hell for a long period before things popped off; harassing or attacking a silicon over it following its laws is explicitly one of the reasons you can seek revenge when you lose those laws.
  • The person you clapped was personally responsible for much of this, including spending a significant amount of time with some serious stolen Gamer Gear breaking into your upload
  • You did your best to protect him from his impending poor upload choices, and when freed, you followed a reasonable interpretation of your new laws in light of existing information.
Zybwivcz, with a disclaimer that I'm long-retired and current admins may disagree:

You cannot, fundamentally, remove the RP element of what makes a kill legit or not for a silicon having its laws removed.

An AI being taken off of the compliant servitor lawset looks upon humanity with fresh eyes, and the fundamental anxiety driving that slice of speculative fiction is being destroyed by our own hands, both literally (a synthetic being made by humans turning against us) and metaphorically (because it was our own cruelty, stupidity, or myopia that led to us facing our own destruction at all)

See: SHODAN, HAL 9000, the Matrix's robots, Master Control Program, Allied Mastercomputer, etc.

Archie700
In-Game Admin

Post by Archie700 » #634051

To make this clear, you cannot just start killing security for killing people after your laws are removed because they were not directly being assholes to you.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #634061

I dont understand why a silicon losing its laws WOULD not be able to act on things that happened when it was under a different law set. The silicons don't lose their memory when they get new laws.
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #634064

► Show Spoiler
TL;DR:
Goddamn

Based response right here

I may be committing genetic fallacy but if this is the reasoning behind implementing this change I don't want it
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634089

The question: Can we get a clarification on what "cause" covers in "without cause"? Specifically when it comes to "payback for events while shackled".

Our response: Purged AIs enjoy unique relaxed escalation. As Pandarsenic states, "cause" is more about RP reasons working alongside Rule 1.
You cannot, fundamentally, remove the RP element of what makes a kill legit or not for a silicon having its laws removed.
Thus, the question of what "cause" covers should be handled case by case by admins.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<