MRP and privately ordered guns goodies cases

Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

MRP and privately ordered guns goodies cases

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #634135

According to mrp admins, buying guns for no reason is powergaming, yet what about the goodies case guns?

you can get revolvers and energy guns, however, you need to actually make money yourself to buy them.

if they are not allowed on mrp, why do privately buying stuff exist? why are guns in goodies if you can't use them? for any other powergaming method, you need to actually go out of your way, but for goodies guns, it's just unassuming in the goodies section
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Re: MRP and privately ordered guns goodies cases

Post by Timberpoes » #634139

My personal thoughts:

It doesn't matter whether you print them, rob the armory while the warden's drunk in the bar, order them from cargo privately or via the supply budget.

Without being a full-blown antag, acquiring guns for no reason on MRP is usually powergaming. Gearing up for unconfirmed threats or things that aren't a credible threat to you can, if you lack any other IC reasoning to support your actions, be considered powergaming.

Acquiring guns with a good IC reasoning tends not to be powergaming unless excessive, at which point it comes back to "what threat do you need all this firepower for?" and we start all over again with needing stronger IC reasoning.

The magical phrase "IC reasoning" is the asterix that holds exceptions to many RP rules. The RP rules are not designed to force RP, they're designed to kill areas where NRP actions happen. The RP rules tend to get involved when players have shitty IC reasons for their actions and rely on OOC and meta reasons like "Every shift has antags, so of course I want a gun!" or "There was a player in medbay earlier and I heard security say they were a traitor, so I need 6 guns and armour."

Privately buying stuff exists because at some point in time a player may have a good reason for privately buying a thing. Admins are there to talk to players when they don't have a good reason for buying the thing, or buy too many of the thing that it now becomes excessive.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #634167

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm "what threat do you need all this firepower for?" and we start all over again with needing stronger IC reasoning.
"Every shift has antags, so of course I want a gun!" or "There was a player in medbay earlier and I heard security say they were a traitor, so I need 6 guns and armour."

Privately buying stuff exists because at some point in time a player may have a good reason for privately buying a thing. Admins are there to talk to players when they don't have a good reason for buying the thing, or buy too many of the thing that it now becomes excessive.
So, be sensible with how much firepower you carry when a threat arises?
Timberpoes
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Timberpoes

Post by Timberpoes » #634174

Many antags are restricted in the kind of murder they can do on MRP. Sec are restricted in how they treat antags and can't just valid them for existing. The crew are restricted in how and when they can arm up, and must do so in proportion to whatever credible threats are around.

Our MRP servers have a big focus on pacing and sportsmanship to create a fun, interesting round with lots of opportunities to interact with people on an RP level. All the restrictions above give antags more freedom to run non-murder gimmicks or ideas knowing there's far less risk to their shift if they get caught.

If you want to arm up to the teeth and fight every threat with bullets and lasers, our LRP servers provide exactly that experience. They have much more of a focus on combat-action, no stay-in-your-lane rules, as well as a more relaxed view on tiding and conflict.
/tg/station Codebase Maintainer
/tg/station Game Master/Discord Jannie: Feed me back in my thread.
/tg/station Admin Trainer: Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?
Feb 2022-Sep 2022 Host Vote Headmin
Mar 2023-Sep 2023 Admin Vote Headmin
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634186

What is a "goodies case" gun? The free cargo stuff? Crates? I'm not familiar, I don't interact with cargo much.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
iwishforducks
Byond Username: Iwishforducks

Post by iwishforducks » #634197

You can buy goodies from cargo which can only be bought via private orders. These include insulated gloves, medical packs, and most importantly, guns. These bypass access requirements, but are overly priced for this sort of access bypass. Autorifles, for instance, were 2000 credits and I believe the two thermal pistols are 1500. Personally I've bought the autorifle once in my life just for fun. This was after like 30 minutes of doing bounties. I can concede in the fact that I have seen a lot of people privately ordering thermal pistols, but I think that may just be because they're so new. They should probably just be increased in price if people keep buying them (but I haven't seen anyone order them privately in a while).

Also, I think it's very hard to say that anyone buying weapons via private orders are truly powergaming. If they were powergaming they would just buy the bulk guns and PKA the crates in space. There's easier ways to obtain harder hitting weapons.
im gay (and also play the moth “bugger”)

Longestarmlonglaw

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #634206

Mothblocks wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 am What is a "goodies case" gun? The free cargo stuff? Crates? I'm not familiar, I don't interact with cargo much.
Mothblocks, go to cargo console, there is a "GOODIES" Section, there you will see the .38 gun and the energy gun
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #634208

Oh, that's what you mean, I didn't remember the name.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #636025

Timberpoes wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 pm My personal thoughts:

It doesn't matter whether you print them, rob the armory while the warden's drunk in the bar, order them from cargo privately or via the supply budget.

Without being a full-blown antag, acquiring guns for no reason on MRP is usually powergaming. Gearing up for unconfirmed threats or things that aren't a credible threat to you can, if you lack any other IC reasoning to support your actions, be considered powergaming.

Acquiring guns with a good IC reasoning tends not to be powergaming unless excessive, at which point it comes back to "what threat do you need all this firepower for?" and we start all over again with needing stronger IC reasoning.

The magical phrase "IC reasoning" is the asterix that holds exceptions to many RP rules. The RP rules are not designed to force RP, they're designed to kill areas where NRP actions happen. The RP rules tend to get involved when players have shitty IC reasons for their actions and rely on OOC and meta reasons like "Every shift has antags, so of course I want a gun!" or "There was a player in medbay earlier and I heard security say they were a traitor, so I need 6 guns and armour."

We are officially agreeing with this.

Melbert wanted to add on "Private buying guns can be bwoinked as powergaming if done too often with too little justification."