Make the Detective a full officer

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Make the Detective a full officer

Post by iamgoofball » #634833

quite frankly "detective isn't an officer" stops being a thing about 1 nanosecond into the round because
1. sec officers never follow up on your leads
2. sec officers will never come help you with arrests
3. if you want to have any fun as detective you have to break the rules and play detective as a security officer
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Re: Make the Detective a full officer

Post by Mothblocks » #634834

Can you elaborate more on what you mean WRT policy? The word "detective" doesn't come up once in security policy.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #634835

i'm pretty sure that admins enforce including on LRP that the detective is not allowed to make arrests if there's a reasonable way to get security officers to do so
AwkwardStereo
Byond Username: AwkwardStereo

Post by AwkwardStereo » #634837

iamgoofball wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:20 am i'm pretty sure that admins enforce including on LRP that the detective is not allowed to make arrests if there's a reasonable way to get security officers to do so
I don't think I've seen anyone ahelp being arrested by the detective and no admins on Sybil that I've seen have bwoinked a detective for doing so either.
Spoiler:
Edit:
I've frequently seen detectives don tider clothing to blend in with the crowds for information gathering, which isn't something I see officers do very often. Creative stuff is done with Detective when the person playing it wants to be something other than a seccie with a free shooter. It happens, just not as often as I wish it would. I like to ignore arrest warrants even if I am given a pair of SecHUDs.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #634841

iamgoofball wrote:1. sec officers never follow up on your leads
You should set the person who you're investigating to arrest and include a reason with your findings, that way officers see the red W and will absolutely followup.
iamgoofball wrote:2. sec officers will never come help you with arrests
Detective has a baton and can easily acquire cuffs. If you really wanted to arrest someone it wouldn't be much harder than it is for an officer to do it.
iamgoofball wrote:i'm pretty sure that admins enforce including on LRP that the detective is not allowed to make arrests if there's a reasonable way to get security officers to do so
This is definitely false.
Making det a full officer would just make it officer + wooden baton + revolver, and it'd be even less distinct as its own role.
Spoiler:
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #634844

iamgoofball wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:20 am i'm pretty sure that admins enforce including on LRP that the detective is not allowed to make arrests if there's a reasonable way to get security officers to do so
This isn't true, on the standard ruleset there is no rule or policy mandating that only security can detain people. You appear to be confusing the roleplay rule 10 with the standard ruleset which is not applicable on our standard servers. I also personally don't think forbids detectives from making arrests on our roleplay servers if the situation calls for it but obligatory "I'm not a MRP admin".

Anyways as for the main policy you are discussing. Point 1 and 2 are not things that can be solved with rule changes, your suggestion of making them "full security" would also not solve these.
Point 3 appears to be based on incorrect assumptions. You can have fun as a detective without breaking rules, else nobody would ever play detective, the rulebreak that you are insinuating also doesn't exist as we have no rules against detectives acting as security.

I'd also like to echo Mothblocks request again.
Mothblocks wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:13 am Can you elaborate more on what you mean WRT policy? The word "detective" doesn't come up once in security policy.
What actual policy changes are you trying to make, making the detective a "full officer" doesn't seem to imply any rule or config changes.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #634845

NamelessFairy wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:03 am This isn't true, on the standard ruleset there is no rule or policy mandating that only security can detain people. You appear to be confusing the roleplay rule 10 with the standard ruleset which is not applicable on our standard servers. I also personally don't think forbids detectives from making arrests on our roleplay servers if the situation calls for it but obligatory "I'm not a MRP admin".
It might not be policy, but I think clarification would be nice. Years ago on Sybil (well before Manuel was a thing), I recall a rather unpleasant round where I needed help to arrest someone as sec. Security was understaffed, so I asked the detective to help and was met with "I'm a detective. I don't arrest people. GLHF". Ended up getting murdered when the perp's metafriends ganked me. Not sure if the admin follow-up ended with any bans/notes, but the whole situation would have been avoided if said detective wasn't under the impression that participating in arrests was outside the scope of his duties.
► Show Spoiler
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #634847

I always enjoyed Detective being a unique role, like Warden.
Detective has a unique sidearm, and a unique tool, the fingerprint scanner. Detective used to start with thermals, and on some servers had the chance of being round-start antags.
Detectives are different. They should be treated as such.
Them not having full access to sec can be annoying, and that would be arguable on a map by map basis.
Boot
Byond Username: B00t

Post by Boot » #634859

I just don't agree with your assessment Goof, Detective is the only security role that I play because it isn't a sec officer. If I am watching the cams and I see something, radio it in, If we have other sec they are going to check into it.
Image Image
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #634884

Farquaar wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am It might not be policy, but I think clarification would be nice. Years ago on Sybil (well before Manuel was a thing), I recall a rather unpleasant round where I needed help to arrest someone as sec. Security was understaffed, so I asked the detective to help and was met with "I'm a detective. I don't arrest people. GLHF". Ended up getting murdered when the perp's metafriends ganked me. Not sure if the admin follow-up ended with any bans/notes, but the whole situation would have been avoided if said detective wasn't under the impression that participating in arrests was outside the scope of his duties.
Clarification on what?? "Yes, roleplay rule 10 only applies to roleplay servers"? There's nothing to clarify.
Detectives can choose to play however they want. You'll get people mad at you for treating it like sec officer + gun, and you'll also get people mad at you for butting-out and only doing investigative work. I don't think that detective years ago was under any "impression" a headmin ruling would solve, they were just playing the role as they viewed it.
Spoiler:
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #634885

Detective should absolutely not be a full officer and if anything the policy around it should be restricted further. What's the point of having Detective be a different role if it's just Sec Off With A Revolver?

And it's a role that offers so much actual variety, that to just absorb it into standard SecOff would be an absolute waste of it. If you want to be an Officer, play Officer.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #634888

It mostly just has a reputation for Cowboy Cop Detectives, sometimes with the revolver modified for .357, shooting people until decapitation as their "arrest"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Fatal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: FatalX1

Post by Fatal » #634957

Have you actually seen any admin enforce this?

I've never seen any admin give a shit on LRP about the detective arresting people unless he's using excessive force and never made a distinction between him and any other member of security
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #634958

I don't see any strong policy this is pointing at removing, and I've never seen the issues of admins forbidding detectives arresting, so I'm just going to close this thread now unless another headmin wants it lifted.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<