Approve removal of secborgs from the code

iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Approve removal of secborgs from the code

Post by iamgoofball » #636552

since secborg is a config headmins have to approve removal of the config so can we remove the secborg config so we can delete secborgs?

pros of removing secborgs:
1. people who don't know the past won't turn them on by mistake, such as future headmins and/or downstreams
cons of removing secborgs:
1. absolutely none, no cons, secborgs need to go
Longestarmlonglaw
Byond Username: Longestarmlonglaw

Re: Approve removal of secborgs from the code

Post by Longestarmlonglaw » #636553

WTf so bad about secborgs? Please tell me
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #636557

They are sometimes fun in admin events, I doubt that this one config line is such a detriment that all downstreams struggle with having to turn off. And I doubt that future headmins would them on by mistake, and even if, they can just as easily be turned off, I think you will manage to play one round with secborgs in the one in ten thousand chance a headmin turns them on by mistake.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #636559

Googles_Hands wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:40 am I think you will manage to play one round with secborgs in the one in ten thousand chance a headmin turns them on by mistake.
those rounds fucking suck dude, actually the worst fucking rounds in the entire history of ss13
YBS
Byond Username: YBS

Post by YBS » #636571

While I remember secborgs, there are a ton of new players who do not. Obviously 'security robot' sounds cool on paper, but the problem was that one secborg on site suddenly invalidated all other security staff.

Imagine if sec could open every door and be notified by AI instantly on a (mostly) private channel where anyone was.The validhunting was spectacularly shit.

That being said, I think they should stay in code for events, because more toys in toybox = more better.

They should just never be turned on and we should have some faith in the headmin teams that we have/will be elected.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #636580

Although I have no real objection to it, this also feels like a non-issue
Are there really hordes of trialmins accidentally activating secborgs? Is the secborg code really this enormous wart in the codebase?
Are there various changes that people want to make to borgs but people keep going "shit we can't do that because secborgs"?
Is this change practical, or ideological?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #636600

In what world would a future headmin “accidentally” enable the secborg config? This seems like a pointless thread.
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #636601

YBS wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm Obviously 'security robot' sounds cool on paper, but the problem was that one secborg on site suddenly invalidated all other security staff.
No it really wasn't, the problem wasnt "better sec officer" or it would have been code-nerfed like every other borg module in that position, the problem was that its mere existence encouraged antagonistic law-breaking sec-sided behaviour from borgs, even going against the rules and direct orders in order to Get All Crime, so the cop robot was delet
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #636615

Because of this thread i will be enabling secborgs on campbell, whos config the headmins can't touch (because i haven't yet coded a way for them to touch it)

due to campbell round lengths, the config will be active in 3 to 5 business days
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #636616

MrStonedOne wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:02 pm Because of this thread i will be enabling secborgs on campbell, whos config the headmins can't touch (because i haven't yet coded a way for them to touch it)
► Show Spoiler
Shellton(Mario)
Byond Username: Sheltton

Post by Shellton(Mario) » #636620

Next term I will be running as head admin just to turn on sec borgs then retire from ss13 forever.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #636719

iamgoofball wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 am cons of removing secborgs:
wrong, con is you cant use them in events
dont ever reenable em in regular gameplay tho
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #636733

MrStonedOne wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:02 pm Because of this thread i will be enabling secborgs on campbell, whos config the headmins can't touch (because i haven't yet coded a way for them to touch it)

due to campbell round lengths, the config will be active in 3 to 5 business days
I desperately hope this is true
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #636750

Nah, this seems like a non-issue. I agree that secborgs fucking suck but they don't exactly take up a lot of room in the code. Might as well leave them there so we can use them in events.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #636752

im still mad some of the CC stuff was removed, particularly the effects, cuz I could use them for non-admin stuff like events and its hard to replicate that easily.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #636782

based

sec borgs are bad but with nerfs they could be good ( :
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #636800

Literally all sec borgs have at the moment is a baton, a disabler, a sec hailer, cuffs, and a pocket fire extinguisher, and I think the baton is inheriting the cost from the malf engiborg stun prod because a single baton swing takes a THOUSAND units of power, and a bluespace cell has 40k units. Meanwhile it isn't even the old baton, it's a REGULAR sec baton. They currently have no upgrades available either, at the moment, besides the universal ion thruster/self repair modules
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #636801

PKPenguin321 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:53 am
iamgoofball wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:18 am cons of removing secborgs:
wrong, con is you cant use them in events
dont ever reenable em in regular gameplay tho
I usually don't like your boomer takes, but in this one instance I think we can agree that secborgs are a mistake in normal play.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #636802

Someone had the idea of basically merging them with peacekeeper bots and making them more about stopping harm and less about stopping crime. I like this idea.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #636805

separation is absolute
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Indie-ana Jones
Byond Username: Indie-ana Jones

Post by Indie-ana Jones » #636809

I want them back if only for their sprite. It's one of if not the best borg sprite in the game. Personally, I'm going to go to Campbell to play around with it if they are enabled just to experience it again, but I play borgs in the way where I will always try to pick up downed humans (even if they're nukies, wizards, etc...) and pull a fast one on the crew to save their lives, its very fun to get in the way of what would be a clean cut kill. I'll do it with any borg class but Secborg would probably work the best for it.

Also, more on-topic to the thread title, I don't think we should remove Secborgs, and even more ideally I'd like to see them changed and reintroduced some day. I know Goofball ate a ban for his irrational hatred of secborgs, so I'm not inclined to believe he gives a fuck about removing them other than that. Quite frankly, I think he should take a chill pill.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636920

We're not interested in this. The code of secborgs spans little more than a datum and some sprites, and there's active interest and experimentation from the host in security borgs on MRP.

Furthermore, even in the event that the secborg config is removed, we still would not want to see the secborg code removed, as it's not uncommon for admins to have interest in playing around with them.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<