[MRP] EMP lings in the vent. Harambe edition.

carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

[MRP] EMP lings in the vent. Harambe edition.

Post by carshalash » #636716

Any time a changeling decides that their gimmick will be emping from the vents, it just leads to the crew agreeing to rush a shuttle call. The changeling in question is aware of it each time. It's very boring and unengaging, which leads to all crew members having a bad shift due to someone wanting to rush the shuttle call as fast as possible.

Is there any chance we can make a ruling against this tactic?
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Re: [MRP] EMP lings in the vent. Harambe edition.

Post by Aeri » #636717

I agree that the EMP vent monkey gimmick is pretty tired and bad.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Moltov
Byond Username: Moltov

Post by Moltov » #636718

But their greentext : ((((( in seriousness this is super fucking lame to do. There is a whole two players who do it in MRP consistently.
Image Image
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #636721

It's boring as hell, but also countered by any enterprising crewmember with a crowbar and a wrench. (crowbar up floortiles and then dismantle atmos around where you know the ling is from the EMP screech locations, shrink net until ling has nowhere to go, they can't even leave the pipe network if you manage to cut them off from any vents or scrubbers. At which point if they're somewhere unimportant you can leave them in a GBJ of their own creation or break them out with batons ready and the chaplain prepped to use the cremator)

I really don't think this needs to be a policy concern - the tools are already in the game to handle the strategy, and when they're employed they generally lead pretty quickly to a hardstuck changeling entirely reliant on the now extremely angry crewmembers they've been fucking with to let them out of the atmos vents.
Yulice
Byond Username: Yulice

Post by Yulice » #636722

Well you see spook, this requires knowledge of the pipe network which frankly only atmospheric technicians reliably have, as most of the crew barely realizes it exists until either A. Someone starts ventcrawling, or B. someone starts using the network to flood funny gasses. And even if they're aware of the problem, they may not have the knowledge of how to tackle or fix it because atmos is an evil dark eldritch beast, on top of being boring to tears.
spookuni
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Spookuni

Post by spookuni » #636724

Yulice wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:41 am Well you see spook, this requires knowledge of the pipe network which frankly only atmospheric technicians reliably have, as most of the crew barely realizes it exists until either A. Someone starts ventcrawling, or B. someone starts using the network to flood funny gasses. And even if they're aware of the problem, they may not have the knowledge of how to tackle or fix it because atmos is an evil dark eldritch beast, on top of being boring to tears.
I question whether it is known to only atmos techs that you can hit pipes with a wrench to deconstruct them. It's hardly dark and forbidden knowledge that things that ventcrawl move through pipes and they need pipes to crawl through to in order to move through them?

At the point where it's too hard for players to realise they can hit the pipes in the floor with a wrench to make them go away, I think we've past the point of reasonable expectations of player engagement with the game systems and moved towards simply flattening anything that isn't simple "left click on problem until it goes away"

EDIT:

With that raised though, there are other even more effective methods for dealing with annoying serial ventcrawlers, ranging in complexity from "mess with distro pressure to trigger either low or high pressure damage to mobs within" to "shut down all active distro vents and then set off a contained plasmafire within the distroloop itself until whatever's inside is turned to carbonized ash" Those strategies work and are effective, but yes they do require some knowledge of how atmospherics functions. Certainly more than "hit pipe with wrench"
Last edited by spookuni on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #636725

If someone is doing the exact same thing round after round, and its this obnoxious, ahelp it. I will tell them to find a new gimmick. We don't need a policy ruling, especially only if there's one or two people doing it.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #636726

We don't want to waste our time discussing every meta strategy that comes up, especially on MRP where admins should already be very comfortable asking antagonists to reign in, so I'm just going to close this now.

Feel free to ahelp repetitive, unfun strategies. From there, it's up to the admins online how to act, but we are not going to have every strategy that comes up be ruled as okay or not okay as head admins.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<