Should head of staff have more admin protection?

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Should head of staff have more admin protection?

Post by Armhulen » #638043

Right now head of staff are currently left as "the one guy who gets more gear" because maintainers have agreed there is no point in increasing the responsibility and consequentially the power of a head of staff if there is no admin backing on enforcing head of staff actually having any more respect than the average staffie. Leaving coding solutions out of the picture as they will only matter if policy is enacted, what level of increased hea dof staff protection would make sense to you? None is a valid answer, but I do want to hear a good justification no matter what you think.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Re: Should head of staff have more admin protection?

Post by TheFinalPotato » #638044

Enforce the chain of command no balls
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #638045

At the very least, agreement by headmins means to some degree that chain of command will be enforced. But what does enforcing the chain of command mean to YOU, since it's kind of a catch all term that could mean very little or it could mean a ton
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #638046

Is this asking from like, the perspective of what direction we (head admins) want heads of staff to go in, or are you looking for something more hard for admins to be able to enforce?

We do have the part about valid demotions being meta-protected, curious if there's anything else you have in mind or if you simply want to know what velocity we want.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
thgvr
Byond Username: Thgvr

Post by thgvr » #638047

Trying to get people to listen to you outside of being Captain or Head of Security is quite a miserable task, if heads are granted more protections/rights they need to be protected roles in the same way captain and HOS are.

Heads of staff should be given full authority over their dept - just as the HoS is now. If an officer disobeys the HoS or Captain, they're demoted or arrested or whatever, but if you tell someone to do something as CMO you will most likely be told to bite it or even attacked by several people if you try to use your baton to put them into place.

There's another somewhat similar policy thread up about head of staff antagonists that probably has some good points to look at somewhere.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #638048

I've been told the chain of command is as of right now unenforced
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #638050

Armhulen wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:30 am I've been told the chain of command is as of right now unenforced
Yeah but what does that mean to you?

Basically, what outcome do you see as being within scope to what you're talking about? Note: Not what outcome do you want to see, but what are actual replies to what you're asking?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638051

I think the Heads of Staff should, at least on MRP, should have these examples as a rough guideline:
  • The right to bar anyone from their department's grounds, even if they have access, temporarily or permanently. Permanent shooing of people who work there requires an actual demotion.
  • The responsibility to haze welcome interns.
  • The right to permit or refuse transfers into the department.
  • The right to issue reasonable orders that their subordinates must follow unless they straight-up do not know how, in which case they should say as much.
    ► Show Spoiler
  • The right to demote/fire people, barring Captain intervention, for serious transgressions related to their access to their job goodies
    ► Show Spoiler
  • RP rule expectation that people care if they're kicked out of their department, namely that they can't just go "Oh it'll be fine consequences never stick anyway"
  • A counter to the above for antagonists, who have a safety net from their Syndicate backing, changeling badassery, etc., as appropriate IC
  • A counter for characters who "abuse" their job goodies, ignore job duties, or go against their head of staff in a way that prevents the loss of one or more lives, even an antagonist life, or who prevent serious damage to the station, its finances, or Nanotrasen's general interests.
    ► Show Spoiler
  • If you wanna be fucked up, make it so you only have a guarantee of CentCom backing if the disobedience saves human lives, not nonhumans.
On LRP, they should have similar but harsher privileges: Kicking people out of their departments with Sec/HOP aid, using their Head of Staff Gamer Gear like the batons to perform field demotions, and kicking the ass of anyone who invades their department if sec doesn't show up.

Rather than LRP people having an enforced expectation of semi-realistic response to the threat of firing, LRP heads are just allowed to kick the ass of anyone in their department.
► Show Spoiler
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #638055

I guess it means complete lack of any kind of rank respect in the sense that heads of staff have no power to order anyone to do anything, non heads of staff just treat them like equals and focus on their own thing, heads of staff have no agency to enforce any kind of special gimmick. What I mean by that last part is that the captain can, within reason, do something special and take the whole round with him on a special "player run event". Heads of staff couldn't do the same thing to their staffees, showing the difference.
Imitates-The-Lizards
Byond Username: Typhnox

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #638078

Is this a Manuel issue? On Sybil I never see people disrespect heads of staff unless the head of staff is being a complete dickwad.

Also cant all this be solved by existing in game mechanics anyway? If someone is insubordinate for no good reason, tell security and have them arrested for insubordination. That's the correct way to handle insubordination in roleplay. It doesnt need any fancy new admin policies, you guys should be handling this issue in game, in character.
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #638082

there should unironically be a whitelist for command roles and chain of command should be enforced. Nobody takes command roles seriously, and deservedly so, because they can act like retards and go unpunished
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #638085

I have two big ways I'm looking at this.

One is that I want heads of staff to be more important. If this thread is just about like, head admin opinion on where the codebase can go in that regard or something, that would be my personal answer?

The other is that I'm not sure what specifically you want me to say with regards to making it more important. I know they aren't really, but it's harder for me to pin down why.

Valid demotions are protected. Valid demotions does not have to be egregious, to me. If someone is denying your very reasonable orders (make healing chems), and is instead doing something that is also far from productive (making meth), then I would protect heads of staff trying to demote you for that, for instance. But that's obviously not enough. What are your thoughts?

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #638088

Sort of hard to think of anything that could be added to enforce this. I think sometimes heads of staff get forcibly demoted by the department over disagreements, and that's usually IC issues. Perhaps making that disallowed, but the thing is there are often incompetent heads of staff where a forced demotion is necessary and even good.

I don't think there'd be anything concrete you could add policy-wise to fix this. Codebase solutions would probably work, like adding ID modification access to every head's tablet so they could do demotions on-the-fly.
Spoiler:
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #638104

you can't give heads of staff admin protection without giving players protection from retarded heads of staff that have no business being in that position
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #638109

I think sometimes heads of staff get forcibly demoted by the department over disagreements, and that's usually IC issues. Perhaps making that disallowed, but the thing is there are often incompetent heads of staff where a forced demotion is necessary and even good.
We already don't allow mutinies against captains, I would defend that same type of thing for heads of staff like, already. I don't think I've ever seen that.

Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638111

The one that immediately leaps to mind is "Pay for treatment" medical, which, uh

I wish people were so ready to throw hands over being denied basic medical care IRL
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #638113

Security holds all the actual power and acting captain gets zero fucking respect with the excuse that they could be a traitor despite all the responsibility and work that role can involve.

So yes, staging a coup because you're a cunt and want to be able to do whatever you want without having to follow the chain of command should not be allowed. It should be up to the admins/Centcom to deal with heads of staff that are doing rulebreaking shit. And if it's not rulebreaking, they should be allowed to do it.

Otherwise whether you get to remain captain/acting captain and whether or not you have any juice/political capital/ability to get other people to do what you want is determined by a popularity contest, which greatly disfavours newer players or random names.
We already don't allow mutinies against captains
Is this something that's changed recently? Because it's not how it plays out in my experience. You do not get to do shit as captain without security's backing, and if the HoS is an egotistical bitch with no sense of humour and no imagination then enjoy your boring round.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #638124

Should rephrase about the mutiny part after getting a DM on that and after you're getting confused--I'm referring to this, you need a very good reason for it.
onleavedontatme wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 am Any situation in which security has acted poorly enough that you could kill them all without getting banned is a situation that the security players probably would have already been banned in.

So to answer your question, basically never.
...which is the top Ctrl+F on headmin rulings for "mutinies".

Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #638180

TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:20 am Enforce the chain of command no balls
We already do this for executions. I'm not really sure why we don't have other stuff enforced.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #638230

Vekter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:46 pm
TheFinalPotato wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:20 am Enforce the chain of command no balls
We already do this for executions. I'm not really sure why we don't have other stuff enforced.
Do you really want the Chemist to be noted/banned for telling the CMO to fuck off while he goes to make meth, when he should be like, demoted or maybe arrested depending on the circumstances at worst? Like maybe he doesn't make a cure during a viral outbreak. Okay, he's shit. But that doesn't mean that he should be freaking noted. At least not on LRP.

I don't think it would be a good idea for MRP either though because it would give too much control without roleplay or social interaction from heads of staff over those under them. You would be removing WAY too much player agency. I certainly don't want to play on a server where the CMO says jump and I have to jump or I get ahelped.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #638236

If you wanna make Meth Lab Medical, just be the CMO, then.
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #638238

Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:50 am If you wanna make Meth Lab Medical, just be the CMO, then.
Sure, unlock command roles for non-humans then, since I prefer to play Felinid or Ethereal.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #638247

@Pandarsenic Roleplay rules include "Chain of command and security are important.", though I'm assuming what Armhulen is talking about, since they're asking in context of the codebase, is for more encompassing rules outside of MRP.

That being said, I'd still like some thoughts from Armhulen on what he has in mind, since I agree that head of staff should be more important, but am not sure the best way to go about it that isn't tangentially covered by the existing meta-protection of demotions.

Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #638266

Imitates-The-Lizards wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:11 am
Pandarsenic wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:50 am If you wanna make Meth Lab Medical, just be the CMO, then.
Sure, unlock command roles for non-humans then, since I prefer to play Felinid or Ethereal.
:lol:
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later
Tapubulu
Byond Username: Tapubulu

Post by Tapubulu » #638294

The day nonhumans become command is the day that I'll be banned.
:revolver:
Sylphet
Byond Username: Sylphet

Post by Sylphet » #638297

Yes, but it needs to be paired with higher standards and the removal of head antags, similar to security.
Tell me how much you think that I should be thrown out of the nearest airlock !
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=27175
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #638304

Sylphet wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:50 pm and the removal of head antags, similar to security.
Elaborate on why?
Imitates-The-Lizards

Post by Imitates-The-Lizards » #638306

Armhulen wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:19 pm
Sylphet wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:50 pm and the removal of head antags, similar to security.
Elaborate on why?
Security works as a team and always has each other's backs because they know none of them are antag.

The CMO, CE, and RD could all be antags. Is the CMO ordering you to morgue/debrain/whatever else the guy who still has a soul because he was REALLY a traitor, or because he saw the CMO with traitor gear and was killed to silence him?

Imagine the traitor CMO orders you to do something you disagree with, but you end up doing it out of fear of getting banned by the admemes, but it turns out you didn't have to listen to them at all actually, because it turns out they were a traitor at the end of the shift, but you didnt know that so you just went along with their orders because you didnt want to get ahelped for not following their orders. Wouldnt that be shitty?
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #638312

removing head antags is a way in the wrong direction and furthering boring rounds where nothing happens or there are very clearly defined lines between antags and crew
judging from other recent threads this is not what the majority of commenters want
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #638320

terranaut wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:40 pm removing head antags is a way in the wrong direction and furthering boring rounds where nothing happens or there are very clearly defined lines between antags and crew
judging from other recent threads this is not what the majority of commenters want
I agree with this. Even roles immune to antag can be corrupted into antags, but the few roles that are have very explicit reasoning. Security being the heavy extra set of rules around them antagonism considerations really muck with, and Captain for being OP. Head of Staff aren't either of those since they have normal escalation and simply aren't OP
toemas
Byond Username: Realthoman_

Post by toemas » #638356

Vekter wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:46 pm
on mrp maybe
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #638358

Don't heads of staff have enough meta-protection? They are protected when carrying out demotions, and I think it's implicitly said that the demotion should be over something reasonable. It could be made more clear that heads of staff are allowed to and expected to give their department reasonable orders, and not carrying out these orders without good reason is a demotable offense, but I feel like that's just explicitly saying what the rules and job description already say. On Manuel, maybe Pandarsenics idea can be added to the roleplay rules, but I see no reason why that should be added on the other servers
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #638379

► Show Spoiler
On a more serious note, I don't think Heads of Staff need much more admin protection. I think that protecting valid demotions was a great step forward; the playerbase just needs to adjust to it. After all, if you're not willing to demote someone over their mischief, is it really a big enough deal that admins need to get involved?

That said, it would be cool to see Heads of Staff have more in-game powers (i.e. pay raises/docks etc), but that would be a matter for the codebase, not the administration.
► Show Spoiler
MooCow12
Byond Username: MooCow12

Post by MooCow12 » #639239

If heads of staff are granted increased metaprotections they need to be held to a higher standard by the same forces that protect them.

I think the opposite is more appealing on sybil and terry. The crew should be the ones that hold heads of staff to a higher standard (lynching/fighting back), so heads of staff are able to make a mistake without getting in big trouble. This game has alot of limited information in it and a lot of players (including head of staff players) are not mentally equipped to act on limited information.
List of my favorite TG Staff.
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:who's this moocow guy and why is their head firmly planted up athath's ass
cSeal wrote: TLDR suck my nuts you bald bitch
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #639240

We talked about this in the recent community meeting. Armhulen and the head admins agree that we don't need to do extra policy changes right now (given valid demotions being protected), but that as head admins, we want to see the codebase move in the direction of giving heads of staff more responsibilites, and we will do what we can to work with the codebase on creating policy to protect head of staff when necessary.